Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Reduce Weight by replacing parts with 3D Printed Plastic Parts? Like HOOD?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Has anyone ever tried replacing some parts with 3D printed parts like our hood to reduce weight?

Veteran Member Three Rings bluefox280's Avatar
    AZ Member #

With working with and having access to 3D printing; I'll propose some basic questions for the community:
    - have you 3D scanned or Solidworks / CAD'ed the existing hood?
    - have you found a printer that's large enough to print dimensions larger than 48"?
    - have you check the cost or received quotes on parts? While plastic printing has reduced in pricing, it's still a large investment for some.
    - have you seen what resolution a plastic printer produces? The are voids / ripples where it would fit the general shapes, but without filler / sanding it would not have an automotive finish

Yes, it's possible, but for larger parts you'll find that cost may overrule the need for weight reduction.

- Erik
    PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

Senior Member Three Rings GilliamOS's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 A6 3.0T Prestige | 2007 Ford Escape

Replacing the car with a Miata is a GREAT weight savings mod many do.
    2013 A6 3.0T - Slightly better than poverty package.

Past:
    2009 A4 2.0T Avant
    2000 A4 1.8T
    1999 Millenia S
    1997 A4 1.8T
    1990 Maxima
    1987 Maxima
    1986 Golf Diesel

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I'd be concerned about negatively affecting safety and rigidity of the car.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

Registered Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic

Get in a fender bender with your plastic and it won't be a fender bender

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    Get in a fender bender with your plastic and it won't be a fender bender
    I'll add to this statement as my parents owned many Saturns in their day; accidents with the plastic body panels resulted in easy to detect damage but the vehicle was made in mind that the underlying body structure and crash zones were to take the energy absorption and not the plastic panels. Plus side, it was great having dent free cars!

- Erik
    PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Yea but our car is not a Saturn. Components are steel and aluminum for a reason.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

Established Member Three Rings choppstixxx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda S2000

Not to mention you'll have to use hood pins or an Aerocatch setup so the hood doesn't catch a stiff breeze on the highway and fly open!
    2013 Moonlight Blue Metallic B8.5 A4 Quattro Premium Flex Fuel 1 of 519
    OEM Bi-Xenon Conversion / OEM S-Line Grill + RS4 Style Foglight Covers / Maxton v2 Front Splitter / SpoilerKing Lip Spoiler / H&R Street Coilovers / Akebono / OEM S-Line Steering Wheel / OEM Carbon Altas Trim / ZiZa LED Interior Lighting / US Millworks
    19x9.5 Avant Garde M590 Brushed Grigio (Summer) / 18x8 Alzor Style 628 (Winter)

Senior Member Four Rings JeriQo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

sub'd for pics!
    2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 15mm rear

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    Components are steel and aluminum for a reason.
    I was trying to convey the point that Saturn had other structural elements to adorb crash energy and forces due to the plastic body work.
    Materials should NOT be swapped for different materials without determining what the original purpose of components are for.

- Erik

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Guys this is the HOOD replacement to a 3D printed one. You can add honeycomb and rib elements to keep some of it's structural strength.

Watch this and tell me of that hood helped
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7BhzpPvNY