Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Problem after rebuild S4 B6. Cats?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi, Im new here but I've been looking for an answer for some time now and found nothing. I had my S4 engine rebuild due to excessive oil consumption (1l every 600km) and for a lack of power.
    So new rings were put in, heads were machined, faulty cam adjuster solenoid replaced, new lambda sensors, spark plugs, whole fuel system checked(new filter, everything else was good), coolant sensor replaced, cam position sensor replaced, new clutch and flywheel and the whole electric harness was checked, all four knock sensors were put in from different car, intake flap was fixed. Timing was done by previous owner and just checked.

Things that were checked - injectors, different intake, different coils, fuel pump, ECU.

But still the car is lacking power and drive properly only when using light throttle. More then quater the car starts to hesitate.
    If i keep the car under 2000RPM and use light throttle then everything is fine and the car pulls good. Using more throttle trows these codes:
    And the car seams to pull better when cold.

16716 - Knock Sensor 2(G66) - Signal too low
    P0332 - 002 - Lower limit Exceeded

17731 - Knock Sensor 4(G199) - Signal too small
    P1323 - 002 - Lower limit Exceeded

So my mechanic thinks that the cat is probalbly clogged due to the oil consumption and these codes are thrown becouse the exhaust gases are not escaping properly. Can it be the case? I will appreciate any help.

Btw. the car was burning oil when i bought it and I drove it approximately for 2500km before rebuild.
    Attached Images

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

All that and didnt upgrade the top and lower left guide to metal ones.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I thought that the new ones are already upgraded. And honestly I dont even know if I could get one in Czech Republic.

Hope these ones will last for some time.

Oh and I forgot. New MAF was also tried. Almost no improvement.

Could the cats cause these problems?

Established Member Three Rings roboto_1337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

It seems weird that a clogged cat would cause a band knock sensor IMO. Maybe purchase new knock sensors and replace them... also I'm only familiar with the two knock sensors that are under the IM. Where are the other 2 that you're talking about?

Another thing you could do is throw some test pipes on and see if the knock sensor problem goes away.
    Piggy Pipes, Milltek non-res cat-back exhaust, JHM 93 Tune, JHM Short Throw Shifter, Updated RS4 upper and lower timing guides, Brembo 18Z w/RS4 SS lines, Hotchkiss RS4 Front Anti-sway bars, BC racing BR coilovers, EB-Works adjustable rear end links, 034 Motorsports spherical end links. 034 Motorsport Engine mounts, 034 Motorsports Silicon MAF hose, Hartmann 19" RS4 Reps +5mm 42DD front +10mm ECS rear.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You're right. There are only two. I was not there during the rebuild so I may have misunderstood what he was saynig.

I could try to replace them. I will need new IM gasket right? And the torque of the sensors is 20Nm if I remember correctly?

Established Member Three Rings roboto_1337's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 S4 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Padouch View Post
    You're right. There are only two. I was not there during the rebuild so I may have misunderstood what he was saynig.

I could try to replace them. I will need new IM gasket right? And the torque of the sensors is 20Nm if I remember correctly?
    I would buy a new IM gasket, just to avoid potential for leaks. I can't remember the torque spec on the knock sensors.
    Piggy Pipes, Milltek non-res cat-back exhaust, JHM 93 Tune, JHM Short Throw Shifter, Updated RS4 upper and lower timing guides, Brembo 18Z w/RS4 SS lines, Hotchkiss RS4 Front Anti-sway bars, BC racing BR coilovers, EB-Works adjustable rear end links, 034 Motorsports spherical end links. 034 Motorsport Engine mounts, 034 Motorsports Silicon MAF hose, Hartmann 19" RS4 Reps +5mm 42DD front +10mm ECS rear.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Had the same issue on my S4, unclogged the cat and now it runs perfect, before it had no power and would flash the cel

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

And did you have the knock sensors codes too?

Spoke to my mechanic and he said that the same codes were there. So I'm not sure if the sensors are the problem. Wiring is ok.

How hard is to take off the downpipes?

Established Member Two Rings Mike50design's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Padouch View Post
    And did you have the knock sensors codes too?

Spoke to my mechanic and he said that the same codes were there. So I'm not sure if the sensors are the problem. Wiring is ok.

How hard is to take off the downpipes?
    You'll need about 60-80cm worth of extensions and knuckles, but it's not the end of the world to do. Just be patient.
    2007 Audi S4 (DTM)