Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings killerkali's Avatar
    AZ Member #

OEM rear main seal part #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Does anyone know the part # for the rear main seal itself(not the entire flange). Looking for the newer non spring style, finding a lot of variations on them. A few part numbers I have found,anyone used any of these?

81-23708-40 - Victor Reinz, I believe this one is correct?

079103051F - OEM,again not sure of the style

Elring 068198171 - Elring (not sure if this is the spring or newer PTFE style?)

National 716102 - Correct one, but no idea if anyone has used National..

Established Member Three Rings Teck09's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Maybe it is a typo in your post but the OEM seal is the non spring type and the newer style would be the spring type. Aside from the OEM part you list, based on my research, the ones you mention are in fact spring type seals so wouldn't be what you're looking for if I am reading correctly.

FWIW, I was unable to locate just the seal when I rebuilt my block and ended up going with the OEM type friction/PTFE seal and flange combo. Not nearly as difficult to install as I expected it to be btw.

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by killerkali View Post
    Does anyone know the part # for the rear main seal itself(not the entire flange). Looking for the newer non spring style, finding a lot of variations on them. A few part numbers I have found,anyone used any of these?

81-23708-40 - Victor Reinz, I believe this one is correct?

079103051F - OEM,again not sure of the style

Elring 068198171 - Elring (not sure if this is the spring or newer PTFE style?)

National 716102 - Correct one, but no idea if anyone has used National..
    You are good steering clear from the sprung style. I used this style the first time and it leaked on me. The second go around I chose to buy the corteco Flange/seal combo (comes with install tool) and it was such a quick and painless install.

Sorry I cannot help on part numbers, but I do have an extra corteco PTFE seal if you are interested. This is the spare that I pressed out of the flange originally when I installed the sprung version. LMK

Veteran Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Here you go, this is what I run in my car and is the correct part (078103171L): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ge/078103171l/

I had a spring style and yanked it out after 500 miles, swapped to this and have had zero issues for 10k miles on the built motor. I verified this through Audi based on VIN.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

2009 C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige - stock, daily driver

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vavJETTAw36 View Post
    You are good steering clear from the sprung style. I used this style the first time and it leaked on me. The second go around I chose to buy the corteco Flange/seal combo (comes with install tool) and it was such a quick and painless install.

Sorry I cannot help on part numbers, but I do have an extra corteco PTFE seal if you are interested. This is the spare that I pressed out of the flange originally when I installed the sprung version. LMK
    I pm'd you, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    Here you go, this is what I run in my car and is the correct part (078103171L): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ge/078103171l/

I had a spring style and yanked it out after 500 miles, swapped to this and have had zero issues for 10k miles on the built motor. I verified this through Audi based on VIN.
    Good to know a lot ended up not using the spring style. Still debating on doing the seal/gasket but I may just get the entire combo.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

In my experience, buying the OEM Seal from ECS Tuning DOES NOT include the installer tool.
    2001.5 S4 6MT - F21s w/ some things - Build thread HERE
    2007 Honda Fit 5MT - Daily

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    In my experience, buying the OEM Seal from ECS Tuning DOES NOT include the installer tool.
    Thats pretty dumb if so, but I think I can make do without it or make my own. Seems you just have to keep the lip oriented correctly and not score it

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3

I couldn't find the OE seal separate from the flange. Sucks to shell out $140 when the single digit dollar seal is all that's needed, but worse to use an aftermarket Corteco like I did and have it fail on you, then have to yank the engine back out.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    Correct, though I believe this is true for the genuine seal/flange regardless of where it's purchased.
    -Hayden

Senior Member Three Rings slowSfaux's Avatar
    AZ Member #

One of the many bits of knowledge zilla dropped on us over the years. Taco bell sells a rear main seal installer tool. All you need to do is trim it to fit the crank snout. Not even joking.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by slowSfaux View Post
    One of the many bits of knowledge zilla dropped on us over the years. Taco bell sells a rear main seal installer tool. All you need to do is trim it to fit the crank snout. Not even joking.
    Lol...awesome, found his posts regarding that. Zilla ftw

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yup - In my case, I went to 7-11 and a big gulp cut to size worked perfectly.
    2001.5 S4 6MT - F21s w/ some things - Build thread HERE
    2007 Honda Fit 5MT - Daily