Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

B6 avant suspension refresh, what to replace? (Not control arms)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I recently picked up a set of 2002 Sport springs and am looking to essentially rebuild the strut assemblies. Car has about 113k on it, but its 16 years old and the suspension is pretty floaty and jarring. I know I'll have to replace the control arm kit, but I'd like to start with the struts and springs. Looking at Bilstein B4 shocks from rock auto since they're quality pieces and fairly cheap. What else would you guys recommend replacing as far as insulators, bump stops, strut mounts, etc? And what brands are commonly preferred? I know for BMW products I tend to go Lemforder since its the OE supplier.

Appreciate the replies.

Oh and can someone verify that Blue, Green, Green, Green and Blue, Pink, Pink, Pink are in fact '02 sport springs? I haven't found any info other than an old audiworld post. Thanks!
    Last edited by LASERSareRED; 05-14-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Mustang GT Performance Package, 1983 Chevy Silverado

Id get the B6 bilsteins at a minimum, ideally the B8s.
    2005.5 6 speed with the Premium, Lighting, Sport, and Cold Weather packages

Pag Parts EFR 6758 kit, Pag Parts intake/FMIC/manifold/downpipe, Eurodyne Boost Manager Plus, Eurodyne Maestro, StopTech 332mm BBK, Stasis Touring suspension

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by texasboy21 View Post
    Id get the B6 bilsteins at a minimum, ideally the B8s.
    Any particular reason why you’d go with those over the B4?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LASERSareRED View Post
    Any particular reason why you’d go with those over the B4?
    The B6 and B8s are designed for "factory sport" or lowering springs. The 2002 sport suspension is quite low and will perform much better with the more robust shocks.

https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/bilstein-suspension

Pag Parts EFR 6758 kit, Pag Parts intake/FMIC/manifold/downpipe, Eurodyne Boost Manager Plus, Eurodyne Maestro, StopTech 332mm BBK, Stasis Touring suspension

AZ Member #

I'm not sure why the b4s get a bad rap for a sport factory replacement option. I've been impressed with their performance considering their affordability. I get reminded of the difference whenever I get in my wife's non-sport b7, feels like a boat.
    They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.

Senior Member Two Rings projectvoltron's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 2.7t, 2016 VW Tiguan

A control arm kit basically have most of the bushings that you should be looking to replace. As well as all the million ball joints these cars have. I would test the wheel bearing while you have it up in the air. They are fairly easy to replace. You can be the kit off ECS or when you have the all the contro arms off you can just take them to napa and they should be able to press the old ones out and the new ones in
    His: 2005 A4 Avant 2.7t
    Hers: 2016 VW tiguan
    Sold: 2001 noggy b5 s4
    RIP: 2004 B6 s4 sedan

"It could be a number of things" -anyone who has diagnosed their Audi

instagram @chasetophor

Senior Member Four Rings Kevin C's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Raider G54B Turbo

On my 2003 with sport suspension I went with Koni FSD shocks to replace my 150,000 mile sport shocks. The ride and handling has been great. I also put in S4 upper control arm bushings, an H&R FSB and a S4 RSB. Nice combo for commuting and sharp exit ramps, especially with summer tires.
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

Veteran Member Four Rings RDA990's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm trying to replace my OEM sport shocks (springs too?) since I'm replacing all of my control arms soon. The B4s do have a good price vs B6/B8/Koni Yellows etc. Not sure which to go with...
    Brilliant Red '04 A4 1.8T quattro Ultrasport
    Stage 2.5? | Frankenturbo F21L | Motoza Tuning | FMIC | Test Pipe | Bosch 550cc | 710n DV | Podi Boost Gauge | 21 PSI

DIY - A4 B6 Boost Leak Test

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The B4s are more of an 'OE' replacement whereas the B6 and B8s are more performance oriented. A car that came with the factory sport suspension (red shocks) would use the B6.

Active Member One Ring mnvwaudiguy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

At 113K, replace the inner and outer tie rods along with all the control arms. Bump stops are a good idea too, but be sure to get the ones intended for the sport suspension springs (they really are different). 034Motorsport makes a high durometer strut mount, (Density Line), you'll likely have to replace them, so may as well get the ones from 034.

Nothing wrong with the B4, however, I agree get the B6 or B8 Bilsteins. The cost premium over the B4s is worth the price in my opinion, and the price difference after install and all the other work will be a small percentage of the total.
    Last edited by mnvwaudiguy; 05-18-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Established Member Two Rings DJHoro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How are your sway bar and end link bushings? pretty inexpensive parts to replace to help reduce body roll but if you feel like stiffening things up Powerflex sells urethane replacement bushings (ECStuning carrys these). Also check out 034motorsport.com They sell many upgraded suspension components for our cars.
    Check out my Wheelwell for my current build/setup! https://wheelwell.com/johnny-rodrigu...s/2003-audi-a4

Veteran Member Three Rings oaybar007's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Check around, I just bought the Koni 1145 (Eibach/Koni) kit with a nice rebate that made it pretty affordable to just swap springs too, but the Koni's and other brands were on sale for spring. I was considering staying on stock sport springs and just replacing shocks/struts. I still gravitated towards the Koni's because I felt I could dial in the rebound to get as close to a stock set up as possible. I'm sure the B4, B6 and B8 are all good choices. On an avant the extra aggressiveness of the B8 might not be so bad. You've got more car to support and rotate around corners. Might be fun.

Absolutely go ahead and do shock/strut mounts, fresh bump stops, dust covers, spring pads and even new hardware if you need it. I went all OE/OEM from Europaparts. Just be sure to note the part numbers for sport bump stops, they are shorter. These should be it, Audi B6 A4 Sport Bump Stops. Front 8D0412131F. Rear 4B0512131B.

I refreshed all of the parts in my signature at once and the car feels like a luxury sport sedan again.
    2004 Brilliant Red 1.8t 6spd Quattro Ultrasport
    Nappa Leather Recaros | RS4 Pedals | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | Symphony +XM
    Koni Yellow + Eibach Pro Kit | 034 Rear Sway Bar, Engine Mounts, Trans Mount, Control Arms & Tie Rod Ends
    ECS Geomet Slotted Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | 18x8 OZ Ultraleggras w/Pirelli PZero All Season+ 234/40 18
    AEM Dry Filter | Liqui Molly Top Tech 4200 | 145k miles and counting