Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings shepa401's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Replacing Driveshaft Center Bearing

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I purchased an 034 center bearing a little while ago and now that the weather is nicer I am planning to swap it out. I have seen a few threads across other platforms about using 3m window weld to make it a little stiffer but I worry that if it did not set right or was not evenly applied that it could throw the driveshaft out of balance.

I came across this product. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/diymmi.

http://www.suspension.com/blog/do-it...ement-inserts/

Would something like this be worth it to fill it in? I would almost think that it would help per long the life of the bearing before it starts clunking again.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 stage 3 a6 6MT 2004 cavalier

I'd just use the 034 bearing. Mot of the time the window weld is used when the bearing it's bad. I wouldn't worry about balance the part you would use it on doesn't turn

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

My 2 cents is most of the time you replace a center bearing it's the rear diff mount. The carrier bearing usally don't go bad. But I still replaced it first then got the diff mount. That fixed my problem
    A true sign intelligence is not knowledge but imagination

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer009 View Post
    My 2 cents is most of the time you replace a center bearing it's the rear diff mount. The carrier bearing usally don't go bad. But I still replaced it first then got the diff mount. That fixed my problem
    I swapped out the rear diff mount when I bought it with an apikol one I had from a previous B5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Robsa6 View Post
    I'd just use the 034 bearing. Mot of the time the window weld is used when the bearing it's bad. I wouldn't worry about balance the part you would use it on doesn't turn

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app
    Yea you are right.

Veteran Member Three Rings killerkali's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I would never recommend the 034 bearing(whoever makes it for them) or even replacing it in general. I wasted a lot of time and money sorting driveshaft issues out. I fixed my OEM one with 3m window weld, lasted for 1 year and was perfect. Did the 034 center and lasted 3 months before it fell apart. The rubber casting itself wasn't even stiff enough to hold the weight of the bearing alone. Get a single piece shaft from AA(I did) or anyone else, avoid the headache. If you really want to do the bearing, source it from a shop that specializes in drivelines. Good luck

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Iíve heard of Added vibrations with the single piece

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by killerkali View Post
    I would never recommend the 034 bearing(whoever makes it for them) or even replacing it in general. I wasted a lot of time and money sorting driveshaft issues out. I fixed my OEM one with 3m window weld, lasted for 1 year and was perfect. Did the 034 center and lasted 3 months before it fell apart. The rubber casting itself wasn't even stiff enough to hold the weight of the bearing alone. Get a single piece shaft from AA(I did) or anyone else, avoid the headache. If you really want to do the bearing, source it from a shop that specializes in drivelines. Good luck
    How long ago did you purchase / have issues with the 034 bearing? Could it have been a quality control issue? I was on the fence of going single and just have a local shop build one for me. I am hoping that the $100 bearing will work and be able to spend the additional $4-500 on other items that seem to pop up every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by vavJETTAw36 View Post
    Iíve heard of Added vibrations with the single piece

I thought I saw a few guys on here go back to 2 piece because of added NVH with combinations of single piece / stiffer mounts.

Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by shepa401 View Post

I thought I saw a few guys on here go back to 2 piece because of added NVH with combinations of single piece / stiffer mounts.
    I did. If you really take a look at how durable the OEM 2 piece is, it's extremely reliable with failures of the center support bearing being very rare. I noticed no difference in performance between my old DriveShaftShop single piece and a new OEM shaft. However, the difference in NVH is incredible and I'd never go back to 1 piece again on my particular car.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts