Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW 128, VW Jetta VR6

Quattro Wheel Question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Car: Audi A4 B9 Quattro Avant 2.0t(German model)

This is my first Quattro and I'm hearing that I must use the same width wheels on all 4 cornets. Is this true? Will I damage something if I run 20.8.5 front and 20x10 rear? I've seen sellers on Audizine with 4 exact wheels and some with a wider wheel in the rear. What is correct? I personally would love a wider tire in the rear.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 VW Sportwagen Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by BettaJetta View Post
    Car: Audi A4 B9 Quattro Avant 2.0t(German model)

This is my first Quattro and I'm hearing that I must use the same width wheels on all 4 cornets. Is this true? Will I damage something if I run 20.8.5 front and 20x10 rear? I've seen sellers on Audizine with 4 exact wheels and some with a wider wheel in the rear. What is correct? I personally would love a wider tire in the rear.
    Audi has a specification for how well the wheel diameters need to match. Do some searching and find that thread either here or on Audiworld. You can have different widths as long as the diameters are matched to within the spec. If you go outside of the spec the Quattro system will be stressed and may develop problems.

Having said that there are two reason why I would not do this. First, the engineers designed the car to handle with 4 equally sized tires. Wider tires in the rear will probably result in more understeer and because of the heavy front end in this car they are already prone to understeer. The Audi engineers worked very hard to tone down the understeer. Wider rears will undo all of their hard work!

Secondly, you will not be able to rotate your tires front to back so you will get faster wear on the fronts. As the fronts wear their diameters will decrease and you will end up with the diameter match between front and rears being out of specification if you want to get the full wear out of the fronts. To avoid this you will have to change the front tires while they still have good tread left or risk wearing the Quattro system. This could really be a problem on the Autobahn because of the high speeds.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW 128, VW Jetta VR6

Thank you. I will use 4x 20x8.5 in gloss black. I acquired a 2017 A4 Avant(German spec).

I think this will be the wheel. Japan Racing JR30.

http://www.lx-felgen.de/85x18-//-95x...an-Racing-JR30

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 B9 A4 2.0T Quattro DSG , 2015 Q5 2.0T Quattro TIP

you can always fine tune it with spacers, ask mops@nemesisautosport.com !! He's the fitment guru!
    2017 B9 A4 2.0T Quattro S Tronic | Daytona Gray | Xenon to LED Headlights Conversion | Too many mods... |

Past:
    2015 B8.5 A4 2.0T Tip Black
    2003 B6 A4 1.8T Tip DG

IG: keithlauuu