Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings FlyboyS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by landfill View Post
    I was saying in your OP your worried
    about finding quality turbos with ball bearing chra’s. The top ball bearing choice for the 2.7t is tial 770’s. The tial turbos and even Garrett kits have nowhere near the proven dyno and track results compared to the TTE cars from across the pond. If you want the best of the best in twin configuration for the 2.7t then TTE is where you want to spend your money.

They are the best turbo option we have currently imo. Just listening to the TTE cars is mind blowing.
    Asserting that TTE sells a higher quality turbo than Garrett is a stretch.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

And here I was thinking that being one of the most respected makers of turbos didn’t really count as a “track record”.

Registered User Two Rings RS6Tuner's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by projectvoltron View Post
    IMO just because they outsourced the hard and expensive machine work doesn't mean that they still aren't quality products. A 5 axis mill. which is what is required for a turbine wheel, is not a cheap thing to get into. Im sure they still designed and just had some cheaper company cut them. 6065 aluminum (or what they use) is the same across the board.

From the way it sounds they have a pretty stringent quality control and not to mention they still balance everything that leaves there company.

As for the higher price point, I agree. It all depends on if its worth it to you.

Hi

We have a 5 axis, and two 4 axis CNC mills, also CNC lathes in-house that are in constant work. Making compressor wheels right now makes no business sense for us or many when there are companies out there that do nothing else but make compressors and yes many of our wheels are custom to our design and only avalible to us. We still use BorgWarner compressors in some turbos stages as well as other names too.

Our RS4/S4 turbos are more expensive to some others based on non-genuine rs4/rs6 turbos, yes but really its all to do with producing turbos of what we consider higher quality than many and using many far more expensive original BWTS parts. As an example: TTE550 is a set of Genuine RS4 K04 then reworked using a Genuine BWTS K04 RS6 shaft and genuine BWTS motorsport bearing pack and the billet compressors. Gen RS4 K04 are expensive even to us, prices do change all the time at wholesale due to being a low demand speclist turbocharger but TTE prices remain stable. Geuniue RS6 parts are even more expensive again due to is a pretty low demand product. We do wait months sometimes for stock as are mostly on backorder.

TTE600 is a set of Genuine RS4 turbos and Genuine RS6 K04 turbine housings. We use the RS4 compressor housings and RS4 bearing housings & BWTS Motorsport Bearing pack and combine with the RS6 turbine housings and RS6 turbine wheels and use Billet compressors.

We were using BWTS cast compressors before on these two stages but did switch to the billet of near exact same geometry and size for a few positive reasons: supply, price, billet. The average performance did increase and no faulire or quality issues to date.

Only the individual can decide said depending on your budget and if you think the price point is worth the money for a set of TTE.

NEWS UPDATE

Philipp in his RS4LIMO TTE1200 (1232PS 1297Nm)

Managed to set we think a world record 1/2 mile pull at the RACE1000 event in Germany for the B5 platform this weekend with a speed of 318.58 KMH (197.95 MPH) in only 5th gear and managed a PB record 200-300kmh time of 6.09sec (pbox) maybe a world record? I did speak with USP owner on the 1/2 mile and Chris feels this is fastest shared. This was the cars first run and shakedown for 1/2 mile event. More to come and hopfully goes faster this year.

Few videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b7JwnRSEF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZWEo9Jycc

Regards Simon@TTE
    Last edited by RS6Tuner; 05-14-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings VR6Bomber's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RS6Tuner View Post
    Hi

We have a 5 axis, and two 4 axis CNC mills, also CNC lathes in-house that are in constant work. Making compressor wheels right now makes no business sense for us or many when there are companies out there that do nothing else but make compressors and yes many of our wheels are custom to our design and only avalible to us. We still use BorgWarner compressors in some turbos stages as well as other names too.

Our RS4/S4 turbos are more expensive to some others based on non-genuine rs4/rs6 turbos, yes but really its all to do with producing turbos of what we consider higher quality than many and using many far more expensive original BWTS parts. As an example: TTE550 is a set of Genuine RS4 K04 then reworked using a Genuine BWTS K04 RS6 shaft and genuine BWTS motorsport bearing pack and the billet compressors. Gen RS4 K04 are expensive even to us, prices do change all the time at wholesale due to being a low demand speclist turbocharger but TTE prices remain stable. Geuniue RS6 parts are even more expensive again due to is a pretty low demand product. We do wait months sometimes for stock as are mostly on backorder.

TTE600 is a set of Genuine RS4 turbos and Genuine RS6 K04 turbine housings. We use the RS4 compressor housings and RS4 bearing housings & BWTS Motorsport Bearing pack and combine with the RS6 turbine housings and RS6 turbine wheels and use Billet compressors.

We were using BWTS cast compressors before on these two stages but did switch to the billet of near exact same geometry and size for a few positive reasons: supply, price, billet. The average performance did increase and no faulire or quality issues to date.

Only the individual can decide said depending on your budget and if you think the price point is worth the money for a set of TTE.

NEWS UPDATE

Managed to set we think a world record 1/2 mile pull at the RACE1000 event in Germany for the B5 platform this weekend with a speed of 318.58 KMH (197.95 MPH) in only 5th gear and managed a PB record 200-300kmh time of 6.09sec (pbox) maybe a world record? I did speak with USP owner on the 1/2 mile and Chris feels this is fastest shared. This was the cars first run and shakedown for 1/2 mile event. More to come and hopfully goes faster this year.

Few videos

Regards Simon@TTE
    Thanks for stopping by with this info!
    pm'd you

Senior Member Two Rings projectvoltron's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 2.7t, 2016 VW Tiguan

Hi

NEWS UPDATE

Few videos

Regards Simon@TTE
    Thank you for chiming in!

I have been seeing those videos all over Facebook

Seems like a wild ride.

Congrats on the new records!

When it comes time for me to be upgrading turbos on my b6 2.7 swap I will for sure be hitting you guys up. As far as quality is concerned you are the benchmark and I only like to use quality stuff. "do it nice, or do it twice" is a good motto to live by when upgrading audis.
    His: 2005 A4 Avant 2.7t
    Hers: 2016 VW tiguan
    Sold: 2001 noggy b5 s4
    RIP: 2004 B6 s4 sedan

"It could be a number of things" -anyone who has diagnosed their Audi

instagram @chasetophor

Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Love it, I'm always so impressed with Philipp's dedication to this platform and it shows with results like this. His car is goals for many of us.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #

I made an error as Philipp placed 2nd in class

Last edited by RS6Tuner; 05-15-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

The stuff you need to do to get this little motor up to 1200 hp boggles the mind....

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4James View Post
    The stuff you need to do to get this little motor up to 1200 hp boggles the mind....
    Impressive? Absolutely!
    I just don't think that its really feasible to make that power with the 2.7 platform.
    I'd put my money towards a 07k swap it if I was doing a higher HP (700+) project.
    The stuff that Iroz is doing with that motor is super-wow.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by VR6Bomber View Post
    Impressive? Absolutely!
    I just don't think that its really feasible to make that power with the 2.7 platform.
    I'd put my money towards a 07k swap it if I was doing a higher HP (700+) project.
    The stuff that Iroz is doing with that motor is super-wow.
    I also agree with you. Up to 700-800hp the 2.7 is a pretty impressive motor. After that the 07k is the way to go. It is such an incredible platform.

instagram @chasetophor

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

While I love the 07K and VR swaps, I think you guys are crazy for saying switch to a different engine to make power.
    Last edited by Zba; 05-15-2018 at 08:24 AM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Zba View Post
    While I love the 07K and VR swaps, I think you guys are crazy for saying switch to a different engine to make power.

Calling it unfeasible? The car makes the power! How is that unfeasible!?
    Feasible is the ability to do something easily or conveniently.
    Its fairly established that the the 2.7 isn't the best platform for reliable high hp goals. There are more robust alternatives, VR and 07k being the most current.
    Things get dicey when you push the 2.7 block towards the 700-1000hp mark, can it be done? Well yes, it certainly can.
    Do other platforms do it better, more reliably, for less $$, yes.
    I do love the 2.7, but it has its limitations.
    It just won't ever be known as a 'legendary' bottom-end as the vw 5cyl is becoming known for or the audi 3b/AAN 5cyl's previous to it.

Side note: I put a GT3071R on a bone stock 200k mile 5cyl AAN @ 30 PSI, and that 20yrs old motor still made very good compression numbers at nearly twice stock output. I wouldn't consider doing the same on a stock 200k mile 2.7.

Edit:
    Sorry for getting way off the original TTE topic.

It's going to be TTE600's for my current build project. Should be a good couple weeks out, but sometime this summer (I hope) I'll include pics, info and results..
    Last edited by VR6Bomber; 05-15-2018 at 09:54 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Its fairly established that the the 2.7 isn't the best platform for reliable high hp goals. There are more robust alternatives, VR and 07k being the most current.
    Things get dicey when you push the 2.7 block towards the 700-1000hp mark, can it be done? Well yes, it certainly can.
    It just won't ever be known as a 'legendary' bottom-end as the vw 5cyl is becoming known for or the audi 3b/AAN 5cyl's previous to it.

Side note: I put a GT3071R on a bone stock 200k mile 5cyl AAN @ 30 PSI, and that 20yrs old motor still made very good compression numbers at nearly twice stock output. I wouldn't consider doing the same on a stock 200k mile 2.7.

Edit:

It's going to be TTE600's for my current build project. Should be a good couple weeks out, but sometime this summer (I hope) I'll include pics, info and results..
    My thoughts exactly

Also I look forward to seeing your progress

instagram @chasetophor

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Edit:

I realized my error and edited my post.

Veteran Member Four Rings FlyboyS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5

I'd use the 780 over the 600 if you are building the engine.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

AZ Member #

agree.. the 600 isnt much of a turbo for all that work.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I went with the TTE600s for a current 2.7t swap. I ordered them about 4 weeks ago from USP. They said 4 -5 weeks, but I have a feeling it will take longer. Not a big deal because I'm still building the engine. Simon at Turbo Engineers has been pretty helpful with letting me know what supporting mods would be the most beneficial. I'm building the motor for 600hp+ and was told these turbos should get me there pretty easily and reliably. Only time will tell. Supporting mods that were discussed through a few emails were:

-Pistons with a 9.0:1 cc
    -044 Fuel pump
    -Stock manifold is ok
    -K04 RS4 inlets original or THE-TUNER
    -Deka 630cc long or EV14
    -Porting your inlet tracts in the head and matching the inlet manifold
    -valves and springs would be a good idea
    -Wagner side mount IC
    -De-cat 3” dp

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceA4Parks View Post
    I went with the TTE600s for a current 2.7t swap. I ordered them about 4 weeks ago from USP. They said 4 -5 weeks, but I have a feeling it will take longer. Not a big deal because I'm still building the engine. Simon at Turbo Engineers has been pretty helpful with letting me know what supporting mods would be the most beneficial. I'm building the motor for 600hp+ and was told these turbos should get me there pretty easily and reliably. Only time will tell. Supporting mods that were discussed through a few emails were:

-Pistons with a 9.0:1 cc
    -044 Fuel pump
    -Stock manifold is ok
    -K04 RS4 inlets original or THE-TUNER
    -Deka 630cc long or EV14
    -Porting your inlet tracts in the head and matching the inlet manifold
    -valves and springs would be a good idea
    -Wagner side mount IC
    -De-cat 3” dp
    yeah, we are on back order with BorgWarner for the RS6 exhaust housings so is a delay right now. I Apologise for any inconvenience if are late

Turbo cores and cold sides are built up just waiting on the housings landing anytime.

TTE600 rip past 600ps crank quite reliably and even up to 650+ on some.

If budget allows TTE780 are a good option for 600 crank and with no downsides apart from cost of units and extra hardware needed for

AZ Member #

Impressive? Absolutely!
    It's not and I never advise anyone goes for it but there are guys out there wanting this performance as I get emails all the time. This car is a one-off crazy project with an endless budget and a progression over many years and failures.

TTE1200 are available at a cost of 6999.00 euro inc vat (5669.19 euro to USA) BIG money some will say but really its small change to the cash needed for a build they require.

My honest belief as an RS4 B5 owner for near a decade is 500-600 is the sweet spot. More is very costly and the fun factor starts to lean after... Only my personal opinion

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Zba View Post
    I realized my error and edited my post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyS4 View Post
    I'd use the 780 over the 600 if you are building the engine.
    ^I'd like to know more.

Even though it will be built, I don't want to come even close to the limits of the bottom end (lessons learned from younger, stupider, times lol)
    Last edited by VR6Bomber; 05-16-2018 at 08:28 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My honest belief as an RS4 B5 owner for near a decade is 500-600 is the sweet spot. More is very costly and the fun factor starts to lean after... Only my personal opinion

You're not the first person to say this. From what I have been reading and have read, this does seem like the sweet spot for the 2.7 platform.

I am getting ready to start a minor block build just so I can be in the 500-600whp range and have a fun car to drive. Since they just stopped offering e85 in my area I would like to accomplish this power goal off of pump 91 with room to grow with either water/meth or if we get e85 back.

500-600whp is all I will be looking for.

Would you suggest the tte550 or the tte600 for this power goal

instagram @chasetophor

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

You will never make 500 to 600 whp on pump with 550/600’s, you need 780’s with a lot of supporting mods for that goal, no ifs or but.

E85 is race gas never forget......for example K24’s are a absolute dog on pump with very high EGT’s if you push them, no matter what some SRM jock rider tells you or “proves” with some carefully massaged logs

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Alright, I called USP and paid the difference for the 780s. Hopefully they aren't delayed. My Pauter rods will hopefully be in at the end of the week and that's all thats holding me back from starting the assembly. I've got everything else and I'm starting to get pretty excited. Here is a list of my collection of supporting mods. Anyone have a clue what I could safely push the build to or changes to the build?

-Full RS4 intake system
    -2.8 heads
    -034 air intake
    -034 fuel rail
    -fuel surge tank with 044 pump
    -ASP exhaust mani
    -SRM turbo intake
    -SRM bi pipes 54mm
    -snow performance stage 3 methanol
    -supertech valves and springs
    -pauter rods
    -JE pistons 81.5mm bored w/9.0:1 cc
    -awe smic
    -bosch ev15 630cc
    -lots of 034 hoses and a few deletes
    -Borla 2.5" catback (was on car originally)
    -SSAC Downpipe for Hybrid RS6 (might not work with new TTE780s)
    -new turbo oil lines

Im sure theres more, and I'll update the list as I remember it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Alright, I called USP and paid the difference for the 780s. Hopefully they aren't delayed. My Pauter rods will hopefully be in at the end of the week and that's all thats holding me back from starting the assembly. I've got everything else and I'm starting to get pretty excited. Here is a list of my collection of supporting mods. Anyone have a clue what I could safely push the build to or changes to the build?

-Full RS4 intake system
    -2.8 heads
    -034 air intake
    -034 fuel rail
    -ASP exhaust mani
    -SRM turbo intake
    -SRM bi pipes 54mm
    -pauter rods
    -awe smic
    -bosch ev15 630cc
    -new turbo oil lines

that's (1) 044 pump?

AZ Member #

-Full RS4 intake system
    -2.8 heads
    -034 air intake
    -034 fuel rail
    -ASP exhaust mani
    -SRM turbo intake
    -SRM bi pipes 54mm
    -pauter rods
    -awe smic
    -bosch ev15 630cc
    -new turbo oil lines

It appears this is not a budget build,

Skip the o44 and consider this https://www.facebook.com/thetunercom...type=3&theater or similar.

You need way more injector for your goals

Dump the Borla

You NEED, I repeat you NEED steel mains with a line bore, absolute crucial for longevity in the weak S4 block.

Eventually you will be held back by the puny stock manifolds with EGT's on sustained runs running way to high, solution is this http://www.the-tuner.com/de/produkt/s4-rs4-kruemmer or build your own but please no "Weisser Hund" Racing manifolds.

Naturally all that is $$$$$ but if you want to do it right the above is a must.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

@flyboy I wasn’t saying Garrett aren’t as good as TTE overall. I was just saying as far as the 2.7t platform TTE has yielded the best proven performance.

@vr6bomber you’re over on MG so you’re familiar with the OG 5 bangers.
    I also slapped on a bigger turbo to a 250k mile aan and it still had good compression and leak down at 300k.
    To me they’re bulletproof.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I was told that a single 044 would be sufficient for the original build. Now that its changed a little, a second one might not be out of the question if its needed.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Drehmoment View Post
    It appears this is not a budget build,

Skip the o44 and consider this https://www.facebook.com/thetunercom...type=3&theater or similar.

You need way more injector for your goals

Dump the Borla

You NEED, I repeat you NEED steel mains with a line bore, absolute crucial for longevity in the weak S4 block.

Eventually you will be held back by the puny stock manifolds with EGT's on sustained runs running way to high, solution is this http://www.the-tuner.com/de/produkt/s4-rs4-kruemmer or build your own but please no "Weisser Hund" Racing manifolds.

Naturally all that is $$$$$ but if you want to do it right the above is a must.
    This build actually started out as a basic drop in motor swap into a B7 A4. It has snowballed into this craziness. I can't use the same pumps as the B5 S4 because of the difference in chassis. I've been trying to figure out the best way to get enough fuel to the motor from the weaker a4 pumps. That's when I was told about fuel sumps and 044s. I will get bigger injectors. How much bigger though? Also, what do you mean by steel mains, I'm assuming con rods, but I'd rather be clear.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by projectvoltron View Post
    You're not the first person to say this. From what I have been reading and have read, this does seem like the sweet spot for the 2.7 platform.
    I agree on that being the sweet spot. There are some outliers that make more than that and have had a reasonably reliable car, but those are the outliers. A very well built 550-600whp B5 S4/RS4 is a fast car and the car will together so you can actually go and enjoy it rather than have it be having frequent issues.

That said, I have big respect for those who really push the envelope on this platform. Just depends on the cost vs. benefit and which way you are willing to invest.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #

Billet main bearing caps

https://www.facebook.com/thetunercom...type=3&theater

Eurospec might have them too.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by landfill View Post
    @vr6bomber you’re over on MG so you’re familiar with the OG 5 bangers.
    I also slapped on a bigger turbo to a 250k mile aan and it still had good compression and leak down at 300k.
    To me they’re bulletproof.
    Those motors are truly unbelievable no doubt.

Yea, I bounce back and forth between AZ if I'm working on a B5 or MG when I'm feeling more 5cyl-ie, lol. Sounds like you too?

AZ Member #

Billet main bearing caps

https://www.facebook.com/thetunercom...type=3&theater

Eurospec might have them too.
    I never used them, anyone else?

AZ Member #

dunno how they would help prevent the block from cracking the webbing.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I think all the monster builds are running billet mains with a line hone of the block as drehmoment said previously also possibly a girdle tying them together.

Also the trend seems to be to skip a bel block and only start with an AZR or ASJ code block.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Of course mine is a APB coded engine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You will never make 500 to 600 whp on pump with 550/600’s, you need 780’s with a lot of supporting mods for that goal, no ifs or but.

E85 is race gas never forget......for example K24’s are a absolute dog on pump with very high EGT’s if you push them, no matter what some SRM jock rider tells you or “proves” with some carefully massaged logs
    I guess my post was kind of off putting.

I am wanting this off of pump 91 with water/meth. Then e85 in the future when and if we get it back in our valley

I don't think low 500whp is too out of the question on 91 with meth

I'm fully aware e85 is race fuel. This will be the 4th car i've built to run e85. I don't drive it much as I have a work truck. I may just buy it by the barrel

instagram @chasetophor

AZ Member #

..for example K24’s are a absolute dog on pump with very high EGT’s if you push them, no matter what some SRM jock rider tells you or “proves” with some carefully massaged logs
    Nonsense. I pull 2.75 FATS on pump gas and make over 500whp.

If you are suggesting that data is falsified I definitely take issue. nothing massaged here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-profile/page4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Nonsense. I pull 2.75 FATS on pump gas and make over 500whp.

If you are suggesting that data is falsified I definitely take issue. nothing massaged here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-profile/page4
    I read that entire thread earlier today. Pretty impressive! At least you guys get 94 octane

instagram @chasetophor

AZ Member #

The US 93 octane is way better. Much higher energy density. Our 94 cheats with a bunch of ethanol.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The US 93 octane is way better. Much higher energy density. Our 94 cheats with a bunch of ethanol.
    You guys are lucky. K24s on just 91 (no methanol injection) are no slouch but feel lazy compared to being on E85.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast