Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

5 wheel bearings and a cv shaft later i am losing my mind! help needed!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    hey guys! thanks in advance, so my 98 quattro 1.8t, had what i thought was two bad wheel bearings, one rear passenger, one front passenger . so i ordered 4 wjb brand, ( i know, i know) well the rear bearing went great, and no more noise, however the front was directional only when either veering or turning left. almost a growling noise. so after struggling with a frozen knuckle bolt up top, i finally got it replaced. but to my dismay, noise did not go away. thinking i got a bum cheap bearing i had another put in, nope, so in went another thinking i had shit luck . after the third i thought no way it could still be the bearing. so i bought and replaced the cv half-shaft. still, nothing changed. so i went and bought one from auto stoned and had it put in. by now the shop doing the presswork is feeling bad for me so they didnt even charge me for the press. super thankful! ive made sure its to torque spec and new stretch bolt but even the store bought bearing didnt do it. is there anything else that im missing that can cause a directional speed dependent growl from the passenger front wheel? im at a loss and am debating on replacing all the control arms? is this a thing? im seeing red and about to drive my car into the river and letting it take me.

Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Items for Sale

It is possible the shop pressing the bearing in doesn't know what they are doing and they are ruining the bearing every time
    "The American people already know that Bill Clinton is a bad boy, a naughty boy. I'm going to speak out for the citizens of my state who in the majority think that Bill Clinton is probably even a nasty, bad, naughty boy." Former Senator Idaho Senator Larry Craig, the man with a wide stance.

2001 A4 1.8TQMS Mods- GT2871R, Maestro, All things that are good.
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

Established Member Three Rings Joe Jr.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

the wheel bearing thing on the b5's drives me crazy. I know on the rear the hub can get damaged and it will eat bearings faster after a while...but the front i've not messed with much.
    2000 Avant A4 1.8TQA
    2001 A4 1.8TQM
    2002 VW TDI 5spd

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It is possible the bearing housing (upright/knuckle) is damaged and causes every bearing installed to fail. Generally this sort of thing would result in a bearing just having an overall shorter life (think 10k miles instead of 50-100k miles), not an immediate failure. But I suppose it's possible if something is very out of whack. I'd think it would have to be pretty visibly borked up, though.

If you are getting the bearings all from the same place and the same type - there could be a bad batch going on.

Can you identify any other symptoms besides the groaning when loaded? With wheels in the air, does it sound worse when rolled than the other bearings? Any play?
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    It is possible the bearing housing (upright/knuckle) is damaged and causes every bearing installed to fail. Generally this sort of thing would result in a bearing just having an overall shorter life (think 10k miles instead of 50-100k miles), not an immediate failure. But I suppose it's possible if something is very out of whack. I'd think it would have to be pretty visibly borked up, though.

If you are getting the bearings all from the same place and the same type - there could be a bad batch going on.

Can you identify any other symptoms besides the groaning when loaded? With wheels in the air, does it sound worse when rolled than the other bearings? Any play?
    Ive had bearings from 3 places. No play at all that i can tell, no noise when just spun the hub on the knuckle but it doesnt make the noise until about 15-20 mph at least that i can notice, my exhaust is loud. Clutch in does nothing for sound and the halfshaft is also new. Only thing i can think is that when I initially removed the first knuckle, i had to beat on the control arms to remove them. Im worried that maybe i threw one out of whack and the “off” angle or something is causing a weird stress on the wheel. I dont know what else to look into. I have a full front end control arm kit, a new high end bearing with cv bolt, new brakes and rotors and a new hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by thejhein; 05-08-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    It is possible the shop pressing the bearing in doesn't know what they are doing and they are ruining the bearing every time
    Hmmm this is possible i guess but they did my rear just fine? I may try somewhere else.

AZ Member #

Beating on the knuckle to get the arms out is normal. Shouldn't bother anything. Even if it was out of alignment, that doesn't cause any noise - just tire wear.

You are positive it's the right front making the noise? They can trick you.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Beating on the knuckle to get the arms out is normal. Shouldn't bother anything. Even if it was out of alignment, that doesn't cause any noise - just tire wear.

You are positive it's the right front making the noise? They can trick you.
    Yes when i steer left the right makes noise. And ibhad to beat on the control arms.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 Civic CX Hatch, 2012 CBR250R
    Items for Sale

Are you running a crazy offset wheel?

Senior Member Two Rings Cybersombosis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Have you tried swapping your wheels around? I had one tire that would hum at a certain frequency. It was horrible. Swapped it with the spare and the noise went away. Got a new set of tires and couldn’t be happier.

How about a warped or coroded brake rotor? I once had a weird noise and it was the rust on the rotor when turning a corner.

Doug
    2001.5 Audi A4 1.8TQMS - Brilliant Black on Black Onyx Cloth
    Motoza Hybrid K04 Tune, Frankenturbo F4-H Kit, Bosch EV14 550cc injectors, APR R1 Diverter Valve, Snow Performance Stage 3 Water/Meth Injection Dual Nozzle Setup, Majestic FMIC kit, Podi Boost Gauge in center vent pod, ATP Test Pipe, K&N air filter, HID fog upgrade, eBay short shifter, Center LCD retrofit, Aero wiper kit.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Davdraco1 View Post
    Yeah kinda, 8mm spacers and 9.5”wide wheels. Barely clears the knuckle by about 3/8 of an inch. However this noise started before i ran this setup. But maybe its affecting the cheap bearings?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersombosis View Post
    Have you tried swapping your wheels around? I had one tire that would hum at a certain frequency. It was horrible. Swapped it with the spare and the noise went away. Got a new set of tires and couldn’t be happier.

How about a warped or coroded brake rotor? I once had a weird noise and it was the rust on the rotor when turning a corner.

Doug
    Lol i swear to glob. When i swap my front rotors tomorrow, if it stops making this terrible noise, i will find you, and i will buy you a drink. Or just send you a home brew or something. How i haven’t thought of this is beyond me.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Davdraco1 View Post
    Et is 39?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by thejhein View Post
    Lol i swear to glob. When i swap my front rotors tomorrow, if it stops making this terrible noise, i will find you, and i will buy you a drink. Or just send you a home brew or something. How i haven’t thought of this is beyond me.

While you are checking rotors, check these items as well:
    - check that caliper slides are working smoothly (can slide by hand)
    - check that the pads can move easily (and aren't jammed tight in the bracket by rust, etc)
    - check that the caliper piston can be compressed with reasonable force (ie: with ChannelLock "480" pliers, or one of those cheesy "pad spreader" tools)
    - Take note of the brake pad condition (inside and outside pad) vs the other side of the car.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

While you are checking rotors, check these items as well:
    - check that caliper slides are working smoothly (can slide by hand)
    - check that the pads can move easily (and aren't jammed tight in the bracket by rust, etc)
    - check that the caliper piston can be compressed with reasonable force (ie: with ChannelLock "480" pliers, or one of those cheesy "pad spreader" tools)
    - Take note of the brake pad condition (inside and outside pad) vs the other side of the car.
    Will do! Thanks for the tips! Im debating since im putting new cross drilled and slotted rotors and pads im going to put new calipers on as well. Its not terribly much more. I just want to rule out everything and get rid of this noise.

Edit: anybody know how to use the vagcom to service the brakes? Ive heard you can but im unsure?

Last edited by thejhein; 05-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.

AZ Member #

The only thing VCDS can do for a brake job is run the ABS pump on demand which can help a little if you are doing a fluid flush and got air in the ABS block. (Best advice: do not get air in the system).