Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars other people killed

Dear God, Nobody go to any Firestone WA

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Out of principle I try not to bash a shop because of one screwup, shit happens, not everyone a shop hires is a winner. But I have been to three Firestones and the utter failure at all three has prompted me to simply warn anyone who values their lives, time, or money, to avoid any firestone in the SeaTac area.

My girlfriend bought an Allroad a while back with some bent/damaged wheels, no big deal. I got another used set of rims, and found a decent deal on tires at Firestone(Tacoma Mall). I took her car there and told them:
    "This car has bent rims, I have another set of rims in the back of the car, so please find the best set of 4 rims and mount the new tires to them."

Seemed like an easy request. Back in the day I would get people asking this all the time and was happy to oblidge. Not at Firestone(Tacoma Mall).

Not only did they ignore the obviously strange looking situation where a car came in with another matching set of rims in the trunk. (In there defense, I used both spoken English and the ticket contained written instructions on what to do with the rims). They broke one of the wheel caps. Instead of telling me they did this, the guy tossed the wheel cap in the trunk of the car ONTOP OF THE RIMS. I get the car back and take it home only to instantly realize that the tires werent balanced for shit. On further inspection not only were they not balanced but they only did a static balance(Only weights on the inside of the rim, like some bias plies in 1947). Then I realize that not only did these idiots not balance the tires right, or even using the method required in the last few decades, THEY DIDNT EVEN SWAP THE RIMS. Then my girlfriend realized they left off a wheel cap and we found it BROKEN in the trunk.

So I have to go back to these fools and explain to them they actually managed to do less than nothing and that I wanted a new wheel cap and the job done right. Now, to be fair and honest, they did order a wheel cap from Audi right away. And they swapped the rims. However the wheels were still not balanced, and rather than inspect the rims and see which ones were good or bad, they just swapped my junkyard set with the ones that were on the car. One of which was damaged, and none of the wheels were balanced even after I had them swap out the damaged rim.

So, it took four tries to mount and balance one set of tires. They refunded all of the mount and balance money and I never went to that store again.

But, since I had also bought a lifetime alignment at the time(go figure, a used Allroad needed bags and control arms) I tried taking the car to a Firestone in Kent for an alignment. I signed up online in an available timeslot and showed up for the alignment. Turns out, none of the fools there knew what a computer was so the waiting room was full of people like me, who had made appointments online, and were left off the schedule BECAUSE NOBODY AT FIRESTONE BOTHERED TO LOOK AT A COMPUTER TO SEE WHO MADE ANY APPOINTMENTS. The dumbass behind the desk gave my girlfriend shit claiming the appointment wasnt final because we didnt get a confirmation email. But guess what, ITS 2018 AND THE INTERNET HANDLES ALL THIS STUFF AUTOMATICALLY. So we did have confirmation emails THATS WHY WE SHOWED UP ON TIME.

So I left there and wanting at least one alignment for my money I sent the girlfriend to the Firestone in Spanaway/Tacoma(the one by Home Depot). These guys are really special, really really special. It took 2 and a half hours of the car being on the rack. They set the toe on one wheel. And left the back end totally out of toe. Declaring the job done my girlfriend came home, and after looking at the alignment report I burst out laughing at their incompetance. Ive used these machines before, they literaly tell you how and where to make adjustments if you are unfamiliar with the vehicle. And the display on the screen shows problems way more obviously than the printout you get as part of the bill.

So I sighed a little, realizing we had to go back, yet again, to these fools. I even wrote on the rear end in paint pen TOE, and CAMBER on the adjustment bolts so it was super easy to understand.

But then, she started complaining of a knocking noise from the front end. Now, they did not put the control arms on, im not that stupid, I just dont happen to own a tire machine or alignment rack. So I figured somewhere around beers 4 to 10 that maybe I did something wrong.

Did I? Nope!

The Champions at Firestone left both outer tie rods loose in the only way someone at such a fine company of such high standing in incompetance can do. They tightened the fucking tie rod nuts the wrong way, towards the outer balljoints, which acomplishes ummmm, NOTHING. And to be super clear here, I put the B7 tie rods on that dont have that stupid bushing like the OEM units did. So its not like maybe it looked like thats the direction they had to go.

So maybe Ill get my money back, but not the hours of life Ive wasted and she's wasted with these fools. If your car has been to a Firestone just know, your tires arent balanced, the car isnt aligned right(or at all), and if you have a B5/6/7 type car your tie rods arent even tightened right. I dont think the inner tie rod could unscrew that far so the outer tie rod falls off, but it will surely smoke your tires in no time having the toe be randomly adjusting.

The End

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars other people killed

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Damn. What a nightmare.

Veteran Member Three Rings Quattro 4 Life's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '64 Pontiac Catalina, '01 Mastercraft Prostar 190

Man thats rough and I feel for ya. I had a similar experience with the folks at the Firestone in Totem Lake/Kirkland. It was a situation where they had to align the car three times before getting it right.
    2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Avant 3.2QM Titanium - 1 of 2
    2011 Quartz Grey C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige
    Past
    2000 Silver C5 A6 2.7TQM
    1999 Laser Red B5 A4 1.8TQM PC-16

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Firestone in everett is the only one locally that has an in ground rack so i went there.

Also had to go back a few times to get the alignment sorted out. Steering wheel was not straight, toe was wild.

A later occurrence, they drove my car with 0 psi in the air system causing damage to my rear wheels.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Established Member Two Rings WEBER's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Imola B5 S4 ,90 CQ 20vt KTM Superduke

Same with a Firestone here Portland, took my CQ in for an alignment, explained to the guys that I had just replaced all the ball joints so it was important to adjust the camber on all 4 corners.

I told them 3 times if they had any issues to please call me. Go to pick up the car and three corners were still in the red??? They told me the camber is not adjustable????

Really, the ball joints have 1.5 adjustment slots. If I have to explain to the alignment guy how to do any alignment they have lost my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001.5 S4 Imola

Established Member Two Rings ecbo0m's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Does Firestone do adjustment of rear camber bolts? (C5 Allroad) Or is it recommended to go to an alignment shop?

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

I've had good luck with Les Schwab.
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

Active Member Two Rings PDXliam's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WEBER View Post
    Same with a Firestone here Portland, took my CQ in for an alignment, explained to the guys that I had just replaced all the ball joints so it was important to adjust the camber on all 4 corners.

I told them 3 times if they had any issues to please call me. Go to pick up the car and three corners were still in the red??? They told me the camber is not adjustable????

Really, the ball joints have 1.5 adjustment slots. If I have to explain to the alignment guy how to do any alignment they have lost my business.

Hey Im in Portland too, what tire shop do you use now?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings WEBER's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Imola B5 S4 ,90 CQ 20vt KTM Superduke

Quote Originally Posted by PDXliam View Post
    Hey Im in Portland too, what tire shop do you use now?

Tire shop....les schwab, alignments....matrix

2001.5 S4 Imola

Active Member Two Rings PDXliam's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WEBER View Post
    Tire shop....les schwab, alignments....matrix

Matrix makes the most sense to me too, I live right next-door to them in South waterfront LOL

Senior Member Two Rings mys4.org's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi S4 2.7t

I've had good luck with the Redmond & Woodinville Firestone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk