Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Which intake to get?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Starting to get the itch to mod the car. I'm under factory warranty and CPO so i'm not going crazy, but figure if i start to knock a lot of the small stuff out early it will turn into a build in a few years.

any who, what's your recommendations on intakes? i'm sure the gains are minimal at best, so i'm guess i'm looking for best fitment

Senior Member Three Rings soul strong's Avatar
    AZ Member #

034 Motorsport hose with a k&n filter
    Unless you want carbon fiber bling then apr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Four Rings riceboy22's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Audi SQ5, Felt F65x

If you just care about performance then +1 on the 034 throttle body inlet hose. The rest is questionable value at best besides modifying your stock air box.

If you care about looks and fitment, the AWE intake is miles better than the APR intake. The fitment on the APR intake is slightly off, and mine also started to yellow after a while. The fitment and finish on the AWE intake I replaced it with is perfect so far.
    Current
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI (Build Thread | Flickr | Instagram)

Past
    2006 Lexus IS350 | 2001 Audi S4 | 2000 Honda S2000 | 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 | 1995 Acura Integra GS-R

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by soul strong View Post

My choice, too. Some very quick S4s and S5s (low 11s) run the stock airbox, high flow filter and the 034 silicone throttle body hose. Some also drill an extra hole on the fender lower side of the box to increase flow potential, although the unaltered airbox flows extremely well.

There is little, if anything to be gained in power by substituting other aftermarket intake systems.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose | HP Tuners custom TCU tuned ZF8

Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Fine. I guess I get to be that guy.

Cough.

Stock.

Cough.

I just saved you money you can throw at suspension and wheels.

I crack me up sometimes.
    --Jerry || 2016 SQ5 P+, Glacier White; Tech, Nappa, Black Optics, 21's.
    Suspension || H&R Springs - 29001-3; Bilstein B8 Dampers - 24-145985 (F) & 24-145992 (R)
    Wheels & Tires || BBS CI-R - CIR 0501 BPO, 20x10 ET25 Satin Black; Continental DWS06 275/40
    ...Formerly: 13' Q5 3.0T '12 Q5 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

Veteran Member Four Rings SQive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 R8 GT; 2016 SQ5; 2017 Q7

True, dammit. All of it's true. All you need on the intake is the 034 silicone intake hose.
    As for the rest of the money you would have spent on a complete intake, you'll get more out of it at your nearby tavern.
    2012 R8 GT, Suzuka with carbon fiber (#298 of 333)
    2017 Q7 P+, Ink Blue, Pistachio Beige, Warm, Vision, Bose, Towing (wife's ride)
    2016 SQ5, Sepang, Black Optic, Technology, BBS CH-R Gold 20x10.5 with 295's
    -2014 SQ5, Monsoon, Sans pano, totaled by a Xanexed-out broad in a Denali XL

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post

Cough.

Stock.

Cough.

I crack me up sometimes.
    yeah i don't disagree with you guys....but it's the wife car so i can't mess with the suspension (she likes the ride height) and rims would be pointless because she would probably curb the heck out of them. only thing i'm left to do is exhaust and tune, but like i said i don't want to void the warranty and exhaust is out of the budget right now.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 Suzuki GSXR600

Quote Originally Posted by soul strong View Post

+1 for this. The exact setup I run, and anything more is just diminishing returns for your $$$.
    2014 Q5 2.0T Quattro - Monsoon Grey | APR Stage I tune | K&N high flow air filter | RSQ5 grille and fog conversion | 034 RSB & end links | DeAutoLED interior/reverse upgrade
    - 3 season setup - VFF-102 20x10ET30 w/DWS06 275/40R20
    - Winter Wheels: OEM 18's with Blizzak DM-V2 235/60R18
    Planned upgrades:
    - APR Downpipe w/ Stage II tune
    - Suspension upgrade - Bilstein B12 cup kit

Veteran Member Four Rings Das Ponto's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

Since when do we care about returns on money spent!? lol if that were the case we wouldn't be modifying cars at all.

BALL OUT. Go with the fancy intake. Do it.

Because Race Car.
    Ryan
    13' Scuba Blue Allroad | APR Stage 2 | 034 HFC | H&R Sport Springs | Rotiform KPS
    Instagram: Dasponto | Flickr

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Das Ponto View Post
    Since when do we care about returns on money spent!? lol if that were the case we wouldn't be modifying cars at all.

BALL OUT. Go with the fancy intake. Do it.

Because Race Car.
    Agree, happy wife, happy life. it's her car...I, like most of us have some sick addiction to modifying cars...i think if i do buy the intake i'll lean AWE and just go CF. Hell i spent $50K on the car. what's $500 at this point. hahahaha

AZ Member #

side note: i've been watching videos and does having the open intake filter make for a louder sc whine? i love the loud sc whine, but i think my wife will think something is breaking on the car.

Veteran Member Three Rings SDV325's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' S4

Quote Originally Posted by ajee622 View Post
    side note: i've been watching videos and does having the open intake filter make for a louder sc whine? i love the loud sc whine, but i think my wife will think something is breaking on the car.
    As my wife explains it, it sounds like there are bumble bee's (or squirrels, i know WTF) in your engine trying to escape...dont think she is a fan of it. That said my Roc-Euro will be going on my future Q5/SQ5.
    2014 Audi SQ5 Technik - Estoril | Lunar | EPL STG 1 | B&O | NAV | RocEuro | 034 Transmission Insert |
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige - Ibis White | Magma | DSG | Sport Diff | Carbon Inlays | RS4 Grille | ECS Rotors | Stoptech Pads | FOR SALE
    2015 Toyota Rav4 - Family Wagon

Senior Member Three Rings soul strong's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ajee622 View Post
    Replacing the baffled hose/pipe connecting the throttle body to the air filter will allow more supercharger whine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have the 034 hose and removed the snow screen. I can hear the supercharger, but it's faint, not too obnoxious.

Established Member Three Rings DufraineMK6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Monsoon S4 6MT

Which intake to get?

CTS intake.
    14 S4 6MT - Sport Diff / H&R Street Performance Coilovers / CW Pro Stage 2 (6-1) 93/E85 Mix / JHM 179mm Crank Pulley (1300mm 7 Rib Belt) / ECS Tuning Flush Kit 10mm F & 12.5mm R / 034 Motorsports Intake Tube W/ AFE Pro Dry Filter / USP Stainless Steel Clutch Line / AWE Touring 102mm Stock Downpipes / Eurocode Trans Mount

Established Member Two Rings drivenagain's Avatar
    AZ Member #

injen and usp make some of the largest diameter
    Last edited by drivenagain; 04-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    2013 Q5 3.0T | 57mm | 194mm | EPL DP Tune | Injen Intake
    2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro | TI Fuel Exhaust

AZ Member #

Replacing the throttle body hose increases the supercharger whine/whistle a little, barely noticeable. Replacing the stock air filter with a higher flowing one can increase the whine/whistle a little, also barely noticeable. The combo is additive and becomes a bit more noticeable, but still pretty faint.

When I drilled that 2-3/8" hole in that circular molded area in the bottom side of the opposite (fenderwell) side of the stock airbox, the supercharger sound was significantly louder. That is the "stock airbox mod" described in other threads. I would not recommend that for a car being driven by your wife, if you think noise will not be received well.

FWIW, I saw only a very tiny increase in grams/second air mass flow with the airbox mod. The difference on my Stage 2 single pulley tune was only 5-10 grams per second. That is on a peak flow of 380 g/s and about 420-430 crank horsepower. In other words, it makes more noise but no real increase in power at my mod level. It might help for dual pulley tune and more mods that the "big guys" are running, like ported superchargers, headers, catless exhausts and such.

I will probably block off that hole to reduce the whine. My wife hates it when riding with me, and it adds no power at my mod level. The stock box flows that well with just a throttle body tube and higher flowing filter.
    Last edited by MSq5; 04-16-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose | HP Tuners custom TCU tuned ZF8

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Mythos SQ5, 2017 911.2 Guards Red, Black 20"HRE P101

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post

Cough.

Stock.

Cough.

I crack me up sometimes.
    Agreed. I was told it could affect warranty and there is basically zero performance gain.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgooner19 View Post
    +1 for this. The exact setup I run, and anything more is just diminishing returns for your $$$.
    I've heard horror stories about K&N filters both making less hp than stock and simultaneously not filtering properly; sounds like a lose-lose situation to me!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post
    I've heard horror stories about K&N filters both making less hp than stock and simultaneously not filtering properly; sounds like a lose-lose situation to me!
    IME that's a function of over or improperly oiling the filter. When configured properly, I think they're fine. When they're not, you risk fouling the MAF sensor as well as generating airflow problems. Most designs using oiled filters tend to forego a box/housing, so more prevalent (IMO) criticism speaks to power losses due to increased IAT's, especially in low speed/high traffic conditions when the underhood temps climb.

Whether they contribute to horsepower increases is much more subjective...but as it's been explained to me many times, OEM intake designs are remarkably efficient. Increasing/improving airflow has no benefit until you've invested heavily in mechanical and tuning mods. If you crave the look or sound, right on...just don't buy in to the added power vibe. Total tangent, but I got to witness this first-hand on dyno tests with K&N and Volant CAI's on GM trucks. Best case was +8hp at > 5k RPM, but with an accompanying -5 lb/ft < 4k RPM. As my wife reminds me...avoid those empty calories. :)

I think the valid benefit to K&N and similar designs is in longevity. With proper care, you never need to buy another filter. The question is whether it's worth your time to provide that proper care.
    Suspension || H&R Springs - 29001-3; Bilstein B8 Dampers - 24-145985 (F) & 24-145992 (R)
    Wheels & Tires || BBS CI-R - CIR 0501 BPO, 20x10 ET25 Satin Black; Continental DWS06 275/40

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If I were one of zee Germans, I would use an AFE filter with the 034 (-like) hose, and add another sport valve.
    This time, on the intake, but still tied into MMI. Open for more air/whine, closed in wifey-mode, nice and quiet.
    No shit. . .that's a good idea! Sometimes I amaze myself.

AZ Member #

You "heard" wrong. Been running them on multiple vehicles for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. Never fouled a MAF sensor on any vehicle, and our 3.0T engine doesn't even have a MAF sensor.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MSq5 View Post
    You "heard" wrong. Been running them on multiple vehicles for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. Never fouled a MAF sensor on any vehicle, and our 3.0T engine doesn't even have a MAF sensor.
    Old wives tale. I remember watching a video by k&n where they soaked a filter with oil to test it with a maf and no issues at all. I think they even sprayed the maf directly and still no issues.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

CTS intake for my S4 and SQ5....they use a metal inlet tube and have great fitment. Sound is amazing...well worth the $$$
    2015 Audi S4 6MT Glacier White w Black Interior
    2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Triple Black
    1998 Chev Camaro LS2 Rear mount Turbo (710+hp/710+rwtq @ 14# boost at the wheels)
    2016 Audi SQ5 Technik Glacier White w Black/Red Interior -SOLD
    2010 Audi S5 Coupe 6MT, Daytona Grey/Magma Red Interior - SOLD
    2010 Jeep SRT8 - SOLD
    ​​​​​​​2006 BMW E46 M3 Coupe 6MT - SOLD
    2011 Volvo XC70 T6 & S60 T6 - SOLD
    2004 Audi S4 V8 Sedan - SOLD
    2002 Acura TL Type S - SOLD

Established Member Four Rings kjeeper10's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Wrangler JK

Quote Originally Posted by SQive View Post
    If I were one of zee Germans, I would use an AFE filter with the 034 (-like) hose, and add another sport valve.
    This time, on the intake, but still tied into MMI. Open for more air/whine, closed in wifey-mode, nice and quiet.
    No shit. . .that's a good idea! Sometimes I amaze myself.
    Valvtronic intake lol good idea
    2015 Audi S5, Daytona Grey Pearl, B&O Sound, 6 Speed - Sport Differential - Opti-Pro Coat - Mods - CR-15 - FTBR Garage tuned APR Stage II - Dual Pulley - CPS Cooler - Eurocode SS Shifter - USP SS Clutch line - 034 SD Engine mounts - Open Road Tuning adjustable coilovers - CTS intake - Rare OEM A5 19Ē wheels on 255 Sumi A/S tires (winter setup). Too do list, down pipes - Clutch upgrade (when mine blows up) - eventually Ultra Charger.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I've seen many reports just like this one where K&N comes out last in just about every important category: http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

If you are happy with yours that's all that matters though.

AZ Member #

Agreed....I didn't mean to turn things into a pro & con of K&N....sorry if things went there on my account. If you're happy, rock on! FWIW, I do speak from personal experience, have spoken directly with a K&N engineer, and have cleaned more than one MAF sensor wire that was fouled by over-oiling an air filter. (Not to make that sound dramatic....one short blast from an aerosol electronics cleaner bottle does the trick.)

For me, the point remains the same....if you really want to look at something cool when you open the hood, and you really want to hear more whoosh and wine from the cabin, by all means go for an intake. Just don't expect power gains. In my case, in my GM days when this was a $175 mod, I was all-in. Same thing with exhaust mods. But with Ze Germans...and perhaps my old age....I look at the spend:smiles ratio, and it just doesn't compute. YMMV.

AZ Member #

I've seen many reports just like this one where K&N comes out last in just about every important category: http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

If you are happy with yours that's all that matters though.
    All I can tell you, sir, is that I am flowing 380 g/s through that filter on my Q5 with mods below. Can post logs, if you question this. What about you? And, do you have any actual experience with the filter you criticise?

Perhaps you saw that the test was sponsored by GM, which makes the AC Delco filter that supposedly "won" that test. You probably did not notice that the K&N (and several other "oiled" type filters) had 50% lower restriction than the paper AC filter, with the K&N being the lowest. 50%! They didn't want to focus on that, because the AC was the most restrictive. Maybe that diesel truck application can't benefit from the extra flow. I think we can, at least those of us at Stage 2 level on the 3.0T.

I will never have to replace the K&N. Once and done. It only needs service each 50,000 miles. Never gotten oil on a MAF sensor. We don't even have one on the 3.0T. I've had zero engine failure on any of the vehicles - Audi, Saab, Volvo, Mazda, Nissan, others, most driven for 10 years or more and more than 200,000 miles. My then new 2004 Nissan Armada 5.6L 4x4 got a K&N full CAI at its first oil change. It is now 14 years old, regularly goes off road, and sometimes tows a 10,000 pound loaded trailer. My Mazdaspeed 3 is an '08, purchased new by me. I could go on.

Not saying there might not be something that flows better (AFE oiled???) or traps micro particles better, but at some point, a filter flows better than your engine can use, and at some point, data on trapping micro particles fades into statistical irrelevance, because it does not translate into actual reduction in engine life.

Food for thought:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...filter-drop-in
    Last edited by MSq5; 04-13-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My wifes drives our 2016 SQ5 as her daily. It has the modded OEM airbox with the AWE S-Flo air filter and the 034 motorsports inlet tube, that along with the AWE non-resonator touring exhaust. It gets up and scoots, even more now that it is tuned on the EPL stage I right now. Stage II comes later this year.

Senior Member Three Rings BG SQ5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

our 3.0T engine doesn't even have a MAF sensor.
    ...which is why Iím surprised youíre trying to gauge intake improvement based on MAF if you know this already. Like EGT, MAF is a calculated value and thus, itís not a good indication of hardware changes, and it may or may not be affected by a tuning as well.

Look at MAP and IAT, and youíll see that decreasing restrictions in the intake will allow the s/c to be more efficient. Itís a more boost for the same temp or less temp for the same boost kind of situation.

As stated- no filter or intake modification is going to make a significant performance difference though. At stage 2 levels, itís something like 1-2% power increase when addressing the 3 main restrictions.

Iíve tested a ton to this point (CTS, 4 filters, various box configurations, etc.), and Iíve settled on an aFe dry, 034 inlet and an added cold air feed on the box...

'15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    APR stage 2 (100 v4) - BG TCU - Fluidampr w/iABED 187mm - aFe filter/034 tube/modified box - MercRacing stacked h/x - AWE Touring
    21" Forgestar CF10s w/295s - 034 mounts, RSB & end links - Alu Kreuz - ecodes - deAuto LEDs - VCDS - P3 w/ECA
    11.721 @ 118.14 (191 DA)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Tell me more about this "cold air feed."

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

Tell me more about this "cold air feed."
    Not much to it buddy. All started with the standard 2.375Ē hole in the box that I ended up tubing down to a carefully positioned spot on the trim piece. I wanted to make sure I wasnít sucking in any hot air with the extra hole when launching at the strip. I used two pieces from Spectre...the 3Ē tube kit and a mount. I just had to reposition the passenger side horn to make it fit. Threw it together when I installed my cooler last Oct. Only disadvantage is that it takes an extra few minutes when re-installing the bumper. Havenít gotten a chance to get any definitive data on it as I used up my AMAX that week and gave up for the season. It was more for fun and peace of mind than anything.

'15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    APR stage 2 (100 v4) - BG TCU - Fluidampr w/iABED 187mm - aFe filter/034 tube/modified box - MercRacing stacked h/x - AWE Touring
    21" Forgestar CF10s w/295s - 034 mounts, RSB & end links - Alu Kreuz - ecodes - deAuto LEDs - VCDS - P3 w/ECA
    11.721 @ 118.14 (191 DA)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BG SQ5 View Post
    ...which is why Iím surprised youíre trying to gauge intake improvement based on MAF if you know this already. Like EGT, MAF is a calculated value and thus, itís not a good indication of hardware changes, and it may or may not be affected by a tuning as well.

Look at MAP and IAT, and youíll see that decreasing restrictions in the intake will allow the s/c to be more efficient. Itís a more boost for the same temp or less temp for the same boost kind of situation.

As stated- no filter or intake modification is going to make a significant performance difference though. At stage 2 levels, itís something like 1-2% power increase when addressing the 3 main restrictions.

Iíve tested a ton to this point (CTS, 4 filters, various box configurations, etc.), and Iíve settled on an aFe dry, 034 inlet and an added cold air feed on the box...

You are right. It is a calculated value, like EGT. Both are still useful, though. Tuners want the calculated MAF values in our logs. It is not an absolute, but good for comparisons on mod and tuning changes. I don't know what algorithm VCDS or our ECU uses to make the calculation, but it has value. EPL wanted it included their log request.
    Last edited by MSq5; 04-16-2018 at 06:28 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Not much to it buddy. All started with the standard 2.375Ē hole in the box that I ended up tubing down to a carefully positioned spot on the trim piece. I wanted to make sure I wasnít sucking in any hot air with the extra hole when launching at the strip. I used two pieces from Spectre...the 3Ē tube kit and a mount. I just had to reposition the passenger side horn to make it fit. Threw it together when I installed my cooler last Oct. Only disadvantage is that it takes an extra few minutes when re-installing the bumper. Havenít gotten a chance to get any definitive data on it as I used up my AMAX that week and gave up for the season. It was more for fun and peace of mind than anything.
    Dude, I believe this is one of the most ingenious, practical, and well-executed mods I've seen on here. Kudos!
    With this and a little work on the stock intake-intake, one could have a good ram-air system.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

When I logged my runs as I was dealing with Chris at EPL my max boost PSI was higher than what they normally see from what they told me. The guy that came up with the mods for the OEM airbox tested it from beginning to the end, his research and testing showed a 1psi or more gain on a modded OEM airbox with the AWE S-Flo filter and the 034 intake tube. I followed his mods list to the "T".

- Removed the snow filter (doesnt hardly snow where I live).
    - Trimmed the deflectors out of the entrance to the airbox, this exposes more of the filter to the OEM ram-air intake path.
    - Drilled out the hole at the bottom of the airbox

The SQ5 runs like a scalded cat for a 43xx pound suv that is making 430hp. I cant hear the supercharger whine, then again with the AWE exhaust it is hard to hear anything when you are on it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    When I logged my runs as I was dealing with Chris at EPL my max boost PSI was higher than what they normally see from what they told me. The guy that came up with the mods for the OEM airbox tested it from beginning to the end, his research and testing showed a 1psi or more gain on a modded OEM airbox with the AWE S-Flo filter and the 034 intake tube. I followed his mods list to the "T".

- Removed the snow filter (doesnt hardly snow where I live).
    - Trimmed the deflectors out of the entrance to the airbox, this exposes more of the filter to the OEM ram-air intake path.
    - Drilled out the hole at the bottom of the airbox

The SQ5 runs like a scalded cat for a 43xx pound suv that is making 430hp. I cant hear the supercharger whine, then again with the AWE exhaust it is hard to hear anything when you are on it.
    Fantastic! The increase in boost at the same IAT should translate into a bit more power. Very elegantly done while retaining the stock airbox. Cooler air is denser.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

You are right. It is a calculated value, like EGT. Both are still useful, though. Tuners want the calculated MAF values in our logs. It is not an absolute, but good for comparisons on mod and tuning changes. I don't know what algorithm VCDS or our ECU uses to make the calculation, but it has value. EPL wanted it included their log request.
    Well, I believe it was Tony who said the EGT value is essentially useless due to the it being a calculation that can be affected differently depending on tuning strategy.

While Iím not saying the air mass is useless, it simply doesnít tell the whole story, and like EGT, I have my doubts that it can be trusted for all hardware and tune configurations. In practice we never rely on calculated values as the sole source of data when other direct measures are available anyway. Thereís still the question as to Ďwhyí the air mass is what it is, and without MAP and IAT, youíre in the dark. Thatís like comparing dynos without IAT, ignition, etc... Itís an incomplete story, and like you said- thereís no telling how exactly the calculation is done in the background. I highly doubt any tuner will ask only to see air mass. Theyíre going to look at temp and pressure as well...which are the primary variables most use when analyzing intake improvements.

PV=nRT...you have direct measures of everything you need to calculate mass for yourself. If you see an noticeable increase in MAP with a similar IAT (volume and gas constant always remain the same), your mass went up.
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    11.721 @ 118.14 (191 DA)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

Dude, I believe this is one of the most ingenious, practical, and well-executed mods I've seen on here. Kudos!
    With this and a little work on the stock intake-intake, one could have a good ram-air system.
    Haha, thanks! I've kicked around cutting out the top part of the grill that you've talked about before when I take the bumper off next time. However, I'm just not sure it's going to result in any more pressure in the box on my setup. I think the tube is pressurizing the box a bit already at higher speeds, and the snorkel certainly isn't at a low pressure area.
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    11.721 @ 118.14 (191 DA)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Haha, thanks! I've kicked around cutting out the top part of the grill that you've talked about before when I take the bumper off next time. However, I'm just not sure it's going to result in any more pressure in the box on my setup. I think the tube is pressurizing the box a bit already at higher speeds, and the snorkel certainly isn't at a low pressure area.
    Yeah, but...
    We're talking about pressure inside the box.
    That pressure will be the average pressure of both intake paths.
    Therefore, you'd want both of them as "crammed" as possible.
    With a good ram-air design, you can more than compensate for having an air filter at all over 60mph.
    Your location is spot on.
    Another thing I would do is to seal those little holes in the snorkel above the radiator.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

Yeah, but...
    We're talking about pressure inside the box.
    That pressure will be the average pressure of both intake paths.
    Therefore, you'd want both of them as "crammed" as possible.
    With a good ram-air design, you can more than compensate for having an air filter at all over 60mph.
    Your location is spot on.
    Another thing I would do is to seal those little holes in the snorkel above the radiator.
    I don't disagree that it will increase the pressure inside even more. I just have doubts whether it's enough to warrant hacking up the grill.

Btw- I made that same statement to YOU back in Oct, lol. Last line of post #28... https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post12711551
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    11.721 @ 118.14 (191 DA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast