Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Question Couple questions about the 3.0 liter and head removal

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My son's 2002 3.0 liter has coolant in cylinder 1. Using the camshaft locking tool, how are you supposed to take the head bolts out that are situated underneath it? The cam tool blocks it. Do you momentarily take the camshaft locking tool out to remove the bolts and just hope the cams don't move?

Second, once that is done, and you have the head/cams and locking tool all together and out, how do you check the head for warpage if the valves are pushed down past the edge of the head?

I want to take the head in to get it pressure tested and tanked to get it all cleaned up, but how do they do that with the cam locking tool still in place so the cams don't move? Do I remove them from the head first? Sorry, new to this, I normally only work on older pushrod engines that don't have this problem.

Veteran Member Four Rings SJorge3442's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by paul85 View Post
    My son's 2002 3.0 liter has coolant in cylinder 1. Using the camshaft locking tool, how are you supposed to take the head bolts out that are situated underneath it? The cam tool blocks it. Do you momentarily take the camshaft locking tool out to remove the bolts and just hope the cams don't move?

Second, once that is done, and you have the head/cams and locking tool all together and out, how do you check the head for warpage if the valves are pushed down past the edge of the head?

I want to take the head in to get it pressure tested and tanked to get it all cleaned up, but how do they do that with the cam locking tool still in place so the cams don't move? Do I remove them from the head first? Sorry, new to this, I normally only work on older pushrod engines that don't have this problem.
    I'm pretty sure since your disassembling everything, you can omit the tools when removing the head. Once you get the timing belt off you can gently remove the cam tools so that the cams slowly rotate down. Without turning the crank you won't hurt anything. And can you aeriously not get the bolts with the tools on? Its been a whole since ive been in there, but that seems a little off. 19dog (I think that's his user name) did his headgaskets recently. He can help with the steps.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    2003 3.0 6 Speed - Quattro. 151k.

Veteran Member Three Rings 19jdog's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Mini Cooper s - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 2007 C6 Avant - 2006 GSXR 750

When I removed the heads because of overheating, I removed everything and didn't care about alignment of the motor until it was time to reassemble. Make sure you get those heads skimmed!! Good luck
    Instagram : black_b6_love
    07 A6 C6 Avant S Line - Stance SC8 20x10 42mm - H&R Springs

04 B6 A4 USP 3.0
    USP CLUB MEMBER #198
    JHM tune - JHM downpipes - 034 intake spacers - JHM Short Shift - Rohana RC7 19x9.5 33mm - 034 REAR SWAYBAR - TIP TO 6 SPEED SWAP

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks, I'm taking the head to a local machine shop to pressure test and plane it flat. I will figure out how to retime that head afterwards I guess.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I took the head off. I totally need to get a Bentley manual for this car. I need to take the locking tool off and take the cams out so that I can take it to the NAPA machine shop in Topeka and have them pressure test it and mill it for me.

Veteran Member Four Rings blitz2190's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Quattro, 2.7T swap Stage 3 APR 6 speed
    Items for Sale

helpful hint when you go install the heads, get the crank lined up to the tdc mark, then turn it conterclockwise just a bit (like 1/16 of a turn) this way it will not come into contact with the valves, then you can install yourheads and cam lock tools, slowly move the crank back while checking for resistance (to make sure there is no contact with valves).
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    2.7T Swap Wiring Guide (Psst this is a link)
    New Build In progress built 2.7 STK 2004 B6 A4- Thread and pic to come

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the tip.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

On this topic, how much can be shaved off the heads to increase the compression? have been thinking about this for a few and haven't been able to find much.

E

AZ Member #
    My Garage

[QUOTE=
    Attached Images

04 B6 A4 USP 3.0
    USP CLUB MEMBER #198
    JHM tune - JHM downpipes - 034 intake spacers - JHM Short Shift - Rohana RC7 19x9.5 33mm - 034 REAR SWAYBAR - TIP TO 6 SPEED SWAP

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

[QUOTE=19jdog;13024618][QUOTE=[/QUOTE]

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Got it all apart and am dropping it off today at the shop. I left the valves in but that's SOP, so, crossing my fingers there's no crack anywhere and its just a bit warped.

Looks like a small crack or hairline something between cylinders 1 and 2 possibly and yes, this engine was sludged up. My son drove it about 3 miles to school and back and it never got hot. I bought a bottle of liqui moly engine sludge remover and will put that in when I get this beast back together and then perform an oil change. I'm also changing out the blown transmission mounts and the oil pan sensor also is faulty.

Veteran Member Four Rings imnuts's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dolphin Grey Audi A4 3.0 Q 6MT
    Items for Sale

I would run Shell Rotella oil on shorter intervals (5k miles), getting it up to temp several times for an extended period between each oil change to help clear that varnish out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL
    Retrieve your SKC for use with VCDS
    Setup Ross-Tech VCP Drivers

3.0 JHM Tuned, JHM LWFW & Clutch, JHM Solid Short Shifter, Zingo Airbox Mod, quattro, Vogtland Jr. Suspension, Single Xenon E-Codes, Apikol Snub, 034 Motor & Trans Mounts

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

We do run Rotella in it now. After I get this all done and verify the car is working as intended, our goal is to sell it. He already has another vehicle and this is the 5th car we have for 3.5 drivers (another son who is learning to drive).

It's been a pretty reliable car for him all things considered.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

head pressure tested fine, but was warped.. So, they are going to fix it all up, will run me about $150 or so.

Whew!

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

head pressure tested fine, but was warped.. So, they are going to fix it all up, will run me about $150 or so.

Whew!
    Now is a perfect time to get that head shaved and increase that CR while youíre in there.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

no, im selling this thing and dont care about putting any more money into it then i need to.. they are taking 6 thousands off

Veteran Member Four Rings imnuts's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dolphin Grey Audi A4 3.0 Q 6MT
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Ephry73 View Post
    Now is a perfect time to get that head shaved and increase that CR while youíre in there.
    I don't that you can take enough off the heads to appreciably increase the compression and keep them in factory spec. Ignoring the factory spec, you probably still can't take enough off to gain much and still have a reliable engine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL
    Retrieve your SKC for use with VCDS
    Setup Ross-Tech VCP Drivers

3.0 JHM Tuned, JHM LWFW & Clutch, JHM Solid Short Shifter, Zingo Airbox Mod, quattro, Vogtland Jr. Suspension, Single Xenon E-Codes, Apikol Snub, 034 Motor & Trans Mounts

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
    I don't that you can take enough off the heads to appreciably increase the compression and keep them in factory spec. Ignoring the factory spec, you probably still can't take enough off to gain much and still have a reliable engine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL
    Dully noted

AZ Member #
    My Garage

manual or automatic ??? Just wondering how you removed the downpipes if its a auto..

04 B6 A4 USP 3.0
    USP CLUB MEMBER #198

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

unbolted the sleeve behind he downpipe, removed the 3 13 mm bolts holding the downpipe to the exhaust manifold, slid the downpipe back a bit, and pulled the exhaust manifold out with the head. I can take pics if this isn't clear.

Automatic, awd

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Dropped off the head Friday at noon, they were done Friday at 6 pm. I picked it up today and it looks all nice and clean and shiny. It's going to be in the 40's all week and I only have time after work in an unheated garage to start putting everything back together so this may sit another week. We'll see. Total cost for the machine work was $168.11 for cleaning, pressure testing, and planing it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Got it all back together, CIL is off, engine purrs like a kitten, and my son and I drove it and it ran like a dream. Got all the little parts fixed up on it and sold it locally for asking price. Thanks all for the advice on this forum. It's a great resource to have.

Veteran Member Four Rings SJorge3442's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Got it all back together, CIL is off, engine purrs like a kitten, and my son and I drove it and it ran like a dream. Got all the little parts fixed up on it and sold it locally for asking price. Thanks all for the advice on this forum. It's a great resource to have.
    Did you end up taking any pictures along the way? Us 3.0 guys are always looking for some extra resources.
    2003 3.0 6 Speed - Quattro. 151k.

Senior Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by SJorge3442 View Post
    Did you end up taking any pictures along the way? Us 3.0 guys are always looking for some extra resources.
    X2!

Iím suspecting a head gasket leak and may need to do same job this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hydraulic lifters can put huge load on camshafts if the caps aren't taken off in correct order and snap them. If you made it past this without fucking up you're probably golden.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I did. IMGUR is blocked at work so I'll post some here in a day or so with some explanations. I had a problem at first where the CIL came on immediately and sounded like crap. Scanned the car and 4-5-6 cylinders were throwing errors. Turns out I had forgotten to plug the injector harness into the driver's side.. Easy fix!

After that, I reset the CIL and it has stayed off.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Also have a camshaft locking tool set with the parts needed to do this job for sale cheap.

Senior Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

I did. IMGUR is blocked at work so I'll post some here in a day or so with some explanations.
    You can try posting pics via Audizine app as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine