Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Four Rings cobrario's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Q5 3.0T, 2016 Tacoma Sport Crew

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
    Biased anyone... no, really. Hehehe...

Time will tell. I shall try and remain objective but, for now, my belief remains the same--> my RS7 P with APR stage II, etc. was faster than my current E63S with Eurocharged's tune but that's purely seat-of-the-pants metrics. Sadly, I haven't seen any track numbers or even GPS-timer numbers (beyond torque and HP plots from a dyno I mean) for this particular tune. I'll do what I can to help get some but the weather's gonna need to play ball since this endless rain prohibits even road-runs to 60mph (unless hitting 60 on the spot counts).

I'm totally biased, make no mistake- which is why I'm here and not on the MB World forum with you
    2016 RS7 Daytona Gray Pearl, Carbon Black, B&O, Cete ASC, Full Suntek, CQFinest, Neidfaktor CF Mirror Caps, 20x10 Rohana RF2 Matte Black, PSS, AWE S-Flo 2.0, MRC CF Inlets, APR DP's, APR Stage 2 back on 93
    Stock: 11.212@ 122.81
    Best APR I on GT260+: 10.40 @ 131.65 980DA & 10.42 @ 132.87 1565 DA (via actual time slip)
    Best APR II on GT260+: TBA
    IG @cobrario_rs7 & @audivstheworld

Active Member Two Rings TROTTERS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    991.2 Turbo S, Range Rover SVR, 2014 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Nardo6 View Post
    States upgraded turbos with Renntech software and still only runs a 10.4x? That's pretty week for an 11.0 car in stock form

And cup 2 tires

And upgraded fuel pumps

Yeesh...our cars keep looking better!
    Doubt that was really on upgraded turbos, no official times for pureturbos upgraded turbine times yet AFAIK but there should be some soon. It's still young, also I wouldn't take any Weistec and Renntech tunes times seriously they are notoriously conservative tunes that always put out less power than other competitors from past experiences.

Destroy might not be a good word, but I'd definitely not settle for a RS7 over W213.

Established Member Four Rings limeypride's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cobrario View Post
    I'm totally biased, make no mistake- which is why I'm here and not on the MB World forum with you
    Ahhh, refreshing honesty and introspection. You go, doc!
    2018 ////AMG E63S in Diamond White/Nut Brown, lowered 20mm front/back, spacers, tints, EuroCharged tune

Gone but never forgotten
    2017//RS7 Performance in Mythos Black, Audi exclusive Titanium edition w/ Akrapovic exhaust

Active Member Two Rings TROTTERS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    991.2 Turbo S, Range Rover SVR, 2014 S4

Man, I wish I could've ordered a car if only for that colour...nice! Sadly, timing was critical in this particular car exchange so I took what they had--oh woe is me, lol!

My tune is impressive and I'm assured they're continuing to work on it in pursuit of additional power... so that's good. My guess is this car's a 2.7-2.8 0-60mph and I'm hoping for a 10.6/10.7ish 1/4 mile but the stats already out there don't bode well for my optimism panning out--sure feels fast, though.

My own RS7 put 735+ ft Ibs of torque to all four wheels and 635ish HP--unless the RS7 you rode is in that category then it's not a reasonable comparison since my car was absolutely no exception. The RS7s are capable of 10.3s in the 1/4 without serious open-heart surgery (SW, downpipes, perhaps an intake but I'm not sold that that does anything whatsoever). Given what it's taking to get the E63 to the 10.4s, again, I'm not sure the industry's mature enough yet to line-up against one.

As for hitting 2.8 on the dash to 60 in stock form... mmm, that seems to be an isolated incident by Parker, the VV dude. Granted, his conditions were near perfect but I question the result: was there an incline... his Vbox doesn't account for that as far as I can recall. But, perhaps when the car is able to fully hook up, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now it's off to the MB forums to go and represent the polar-opposite opinion ... I'm fickle, what can I say.
    I was extremely tempted to not wait and just get one of the few the local dealer had in stock, but ultimately I'm glad I waited to get the color and spec i desired. I might sound baised here, but I'm really not. I've owned a bunch of different Audis, MBs and BMWs in the past and really think blind brad loyalty by consumers is stupid. I really believe the E63 is the best car in this segment, and after seeing what the new C8s are going to look like exterior and interior wise I knew there was no point in waiting for the next iteration of Audi RS.

We have 91 oct here in Cali, so that's another point to note the RS7 I rode in was APR Stage II with their downpipes and had a custom exhaust setup. It was a incredibly fast car, there is no doubt about that but the similarly tuned and downpiped E63s just felt stronger pulling from 60 - 150ish. Off the line I'd say both are about the same savage acceleration, but the top end I'd give to the newer E.

There were a few other forum members who have gotten 2.7-2.8 0-60 on bone stock cars verified via draggy, so take that as you will I hear it's accurate but I'd trust a Vbox more. I'll have to find the link somewhere.. The problem with the M177 motors is the turbines they use aren't big, that's a definite limiting factor so as more turbo upgrades become available this will be a 9 second car soon.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by NardoRS7 View Post
    there are always encryption issues
    Better get used to it--This is only going to get worse and worse. Especially as cars get more electronically advanced, and rogue actors could disable/crash a car remotely. Similar to that Jeep demonstration a little ways back, where a group took control of a guy driving a Jeep while he was several miles away. Disabled steering wheel on him, IIRC.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TROTTERS4 View Post
    I was extremely tempted to not wait and just get one of the few the local dealer had in stock, but ultimately I'm glad I waited to get the color and spec i desired. I might sound baised here, but I'm really not. I've owned a bunch of different Audis, MBs and BMWs in the past and really think blind brad loyalty by consumers is stupid. I really believe the E63 is the best car in this segment, and after seeing what the new C8s are going to look like exterior and interior wise I knew there was no point in waiting for the next iteration of Audi RS.

We have 91 oct here in Cali, so that's another point to note the RS7 I rode in was APR Stage II with their downpipes and had a custom exhaust setup. It was a incredibly fast car, there is no doubt about that but the similarly tuned and downpiped E63s just felt stronger pulling from 60 - 150ish. Off the line I'd say both are about the same savage acceleration, but the top end I'd give to the newer E.

There were a few other forum members who have gotten 2.7-2.8 0-60 on bone stock cars verified via draggy, so take that as you will
    Hmmm, that's weird to me since I'm at the top of the MB Dragy 1/8th mile leaderboard and in 2nd place (to a well-tuned C63 I think) on the 0-60mph with a 3.02s dash in the wet and at 55 degrees F. If there are folks hitting better numbers and, therefore, presumably care about those numbers since they have a Dragy to obtain them, why aren't they posting them on the leaderboard (obviously, I don't expect you to answer that but you get my point). In fact, can you point me towards the posts because I can find nothing else other than Parker's time and I'd love to know their respective conditions and tuning info.

... but I'd trust a Vbox more.
    I thought the same thing and sold my Vbox 1-day after getting my Dragy. My guess is that maybe 6 of us from the RS7 forums that chat regularly and meet up at the AvW gigs have now purchased the Dragy. Most of us have tested it in live comparisons at the track against the dragstrip timer and the Vbox. The Dragy proved to be more accurate than the Vbox on all counts except one--the 60ft--but in every other measure, it was closer to the dragstrip time and speed. I'd wholeheartedly recommend getting one... and the social-media aspects of it are rather fun, too.

PS: your online name and reference to DME tuning made me wonder, are you English?
    2018 ////AMG E63S in Diamond White/Nut Brown, lowered 20mm front/back, spacers, tints, EuroCharged tune

Gone but never forgotten
    2017//RS7 Performance in Mythos Black, Audi exclusive Titanium edition w/ Akrapovic exhaust

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by TROTTERS4 View Post
    We have 91 oct here in Cali
    And that's a damn shame!

Veteran Member Four Rings Ze_Nardo6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

new m5 0-60 in 2.8, 10.9 in quarter

Hmmm, that's weird to me since I'm at the top of the MB Dragy 1/8th mile leaderboard and in 2nd place (to a well-tuned C63 I think) on the 0-60mph with a 3.02s dash in the wet and at 55 degrees F. If there are folks hitting better numbers and, therefore, presumably care about those numbers since they have a Dragy to obtain them, why aren't they posting them on the leaderboard (obviously, I don't expect you to answer that but you get my point). In fact, can you point me towards the posts because I can find nothing else other than Parker's time and I'd love to know their respective conditions and tuning info.

I thought the same thing and sold my Vbox 1-day after getting my Dragy. My guess is that maybe 6 of us from the RS7 forums that chat regularly and meet up at the AvW gigs have now purchased the Dragy. Most of us have tested it in live comparisons at the track against the dragstrip timer and the Vbox. The Dragy proved to be more accurate than the Vbox on all counts except one--the 60ft--but in every other measure, it was closer to the dragstrip time and speed. I'd wholeheartedly recommend getting one... and the social-media aspects of it are rather fun, too.

PS: your online name and reference to DME tuning made me wonder, are you English?
    While thereís plenty of evidence that itís accurate at the track, Iím not convinced itís accurate on the street. Basically saying my car is as fast/quick on pump gas as it is on 104. More testing will verify
    Mickey (AKA: AudiS4B8)

2017 Nardo Grey S6 | APR Stage 3 | RS Turbos | Akrapovic Exhaust | AMS Downpipes | AMS Cooling System | MRC Carbon Inlets | Eventuri Intake | Satin Black HRE P44SC Wheels | Cete Lowering Module | Alu Kreuz | Eurocode Sways and Endlinks | Neidfaktor Carbon Mirrors | Full Suntek PPF | Opticoat Pro+

Instagram: ze_nardo6
    10.69 @ 129mph

AZ Member #

While thereís plenty of evidence that itís accurate at the track, Iím not convinced itís accurate on the street. Basically saying my car is as fast/quick on pump gas as it is on 104. More testing will verify
    Yup, that's an anomaly for sure. Have you tested it against your old Vbox?

Gone but never forgotten

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

What do you believe could influence the unit to be accurate at the track and not on the street?
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2++

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s
    1/4 mile 11.46s @120.07mph

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    What do you believe could influence the unit to be accurate at the track and not on the street?
    While Mickey's more than capable of speaking for himself (if you've ever met him, you'll realize that's an understatement ), I'll chime in since I'm still awake: I don't think either of us have reached a conclusion as to why this anomaly occurs--I certainly haven't--but, the numbers Mickey is getting on the street make no sense in light of the vastly superior track circumstances, hence, there remains an unanswered question. For me at least, I do believe the Dragy units are consistent in, of and among themselves--that is, based on the 3 or 4 Dragy units I've compared, each unit returned the same result in the same conditions. That's great... not for the track-comparable data but rather for the credibility it lends to Dragy's social-media leaderboard and our individual relative gains as we continue to tweak our own cars.

Gone but never forgotten

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Problem is GPS based equipment wouldn't read differently on one surface to the next. If what you are saying is true the street surface would seem to provide a surprising advantage.

That would lead me to conclude the street used in the test offered a superior surface (unlikely), or the conditions (DA) were better when ran on the street.

Do you know what surface was the drag strip made of?

What other variables can you think of that would impact this?
    Last edited by p3u; 03-29-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s

Senior Member Four Rings cobrario's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Q5 3.0T, 2016 Tacoma Sport Crew

Problem is GPS based equipment wouldn't read differently on one surface to the next. If what you are saying is true the street surface would seem to provide a surprising advantage.

That would lead me to conclude the street used in the test offered a superior surface (unlikely), or the conditions (DA) were better when ran on the street.

ya- it makes no sense to any of us. The trap is the part that indicates something is off, he's trapping faster on pump than he did on 104 which just shouldn't happen. I'll do some testing with mine now that mother nature is cooperating a little better- see how that compares to my track experience.
    2016 RS7 Daytona Gray Pearl, Carbon Black, B&O, Cete ASC, Full Suntek, CQFinest, Neidfaktor CF Mirror Caps, 20x10 Rohana RF2 Matte Black, PSS, AWE S-Flo 2.0, MRC CF Inlets, APR DP's, APR Stage 2 back on 93
    Stock: 11.212@ 122.81
    Best APR I on GT260+: 10.40 @ 131.65 980DA & 10.42 @ 132.87 1565 DA (via actual time slip)
    Best APR II on GT260+: TBA
    IG @cobrario_rs7 & @audivstheworld

AZ Member #

Honestly, I have no idea. Which is why I want to continue testing.

While Mickey's more than capable of speaking for himself (if you've ever met him, you'll realize that's an understatement ), I'll chime in since I'm still awake: I don't think either of us have reached a conclusion as to why this anomaly occurs--I certainly haven't--but, the numbers Mickey is getting on the street make no sense in light of the vastly superior track circumstances, hence, there remains an unanswered question. For me at least, I do believe the Dragy units are consistent in, of and among themselves--that is, based on the 3 or 4 Dragy units I've compared, each unit returned the same result in the same conditions. That's great... not for the track-comparable data but rather for the credibility it lends to Dragy's social-media leaderboard and our individual relative gains as we continue to tweak our own cars.
    Back at ya Deano! Never a dull moment with both of us in the room

DA and surface conditions are the 2 that come to my mind as well. I don't know enough about these devices and how they work, other than knowing they're GPS-based, to make a real assessment just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrario View Post
    ya- it makes no sense to any of us. The trap is the part that indicates something is off, he's trapping faster on pump than he did on 104 which just shouldn't happen. I'll do some testing with mine now that mother nature is cooperating a little better- see how that compares to my track experience.
    p3u, this is my problem with the "street" results thus far. I have trapped higher on 93 on the street (according to dragy) than I did on 104 all day long (according to the track). I am consistently trapping 128-129.6 on 93 with the dragy whereas I was consistently trapping 127-129.5 on 104 at the track. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my car is more powerful/faster/quicker running the 104 file. It's not even questionable.

So my plan is to switch the car back to 104 soon, and run the dragy tests again on the street to see what the delta looks like from the 93 stats I've seen.

The 104 dragy street results should help paint a clearer picture. But if and when they come out better than the 93 numbers, I wouldn't know what to make of it at that point

2017 Nardo Grey S6 | APR Stage 3 | RS Turbos | Akrapovic Exhaust | AMS Downpipes | AMS Cooling System | MRC Carbon Inlets | Eventuri Intake | Satin Black HRE P44SC Wheels | Cete Lowering Module | Alu Kreuz | Eurocode Sways and Endlinks | Neidfaktor Carbon Mirrors | Full Suntek PPF | Opticoat Pro+

10.69 @ 129mph

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I wonder if this being over thought. It really could you're running in more favorable conditions compared to when at the track.

Dragy at this point has proven to be accurate and consistent, GPS is not able to be influenced by "racing" conditions, so the only variable is the condition in which it's being used.

One question I asked earlier which may be a contributing factor is what type of material was the drag strip made from? If Asphalt traction would be reduced with it's lower coefficient of friction compared to a concrete surface.

Here in Dallas pretty much every road (at least where I live) is made of concrete. Which leads me to my next question, which street surface are you testing on?

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s

AZ Member #

I wonder if this being over thought. It really could you're running in more favorable conditions compared to when at the track.

Dragy at this point has proven to be accurate and consistent, GPS is not able to be influenced by "racing" conditions, so the only variable is the condition in which it's being used.

One question I asked earlier which may be a contributing factor is what type of material was the drag strip made from? If Asphalt traction would be reduced with it's lower coefficient of friction compared to a concrete surface.

Here in Dallas pretty much every road (at least where I live) is made of concrete. Which leads me to my next question, which street surface are you testing on?
    There's not much to overthink, simply comparing ET and trap data from 93 to 104..

I'm in Houston, roads are the same, concrete (at least the stretch of road I'm using for all my dragy runs)

The track day in FL did get warm, up to 90+ degrees, but the DA at the time of my 10.69 @ 129 was roughly +1300 I believe (temps around 80).

My testing on the streets out here (same sea level elevation as FL track), were in the low 70s temps...at most, the DA delta could not have been more than 800-1000, which we've already covered as a non-event for these cars.

My only guess is that the concrete bodes more favorable than asphalt (which I'm near certain the track is made from, others can chime in). But then you have to factor in prep, where the track was VERY sticky (almost lost a shoe walking on it). And the concrete streets are lacking any prep at all. But again, prep would explain ET and 60' deltas, not the fact that I'm trapping the same from 93 to 104, which is an indication of power. And funny enough, I'm ripping 1.61 60' on a non prepped surface on 93, same as I did on my best run on a well prepped surface running 104 with no spin at all.

So at the end of the day, the dragy is giving my car the same power credit on 93 as the track gave on 104.

Just having trouble digesting that for now

10.69 @ 129mph

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

One last thought. How are your 60ft times comparing street vs track?

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s

AZ Member #

One last thought. How are your 60ft times comparing street vs track?
    dragy - 1.61 60' on unprepped concrete running 93

track - 1.61 60' on well prepped asphalt running 104

Both without any spin using same launch technique

If I were spinning, that could explain why the track results were not more favorable, but I wasn't

10.69 @ 129mph

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I've been doing some digging as I'm quite curious, and while far from conclusive this comment I came across makes me wonder.

Spinning will slightly raise your trap speed somtimes. Dead hook and it may drop one or two mph.
    You mentioned you had the same 60ft from the track and according to Dragy, but the 60ft time is the one area that has not been dialed in yet. I think people have been reporting a delta of .05-.07 on it. So your 1.61 from Dragy was really a 1.66-1.68 60ft on the street vs 1.61 at the track.

Looking through of my old time slips from Bandimere (yes real ones ) my fastest 1/4 mile was also my slowest trap. My fastest trap slip was one of my slower runs.

Perhaps this is a possibility? You running 104 on the street would clear this up.

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s

AZ Member #

I've been doing some digging as I'm quite curious, and while far from conclusive this comment I came across makes me wonder.

You mentioned you had the same 60ft from the track and according to Dragy, but the 60ft time is the one area that has not been dialed in yet. I think people have been reporting a delta of .05-.07 on it. So your 1.61 from Dragy was really a 1.66-1.68 60ft on the street vs 1.61 at the track.

Looking through of my old time slips from Bandimere (yes real ones ) my fastest 1/4 mile was also my slowest trap. My fastest trap slip was one of my slower runs.

Perhaps this is a possibility? You running 104 on the street would clear this up.
    I'm not speaking to one off runs though.

I have over 12 track runs all trapping 127-129.47 with all sorts of different 60' times

I have over 20 dragy runs all trapping 128-129.6 with all sorts of different 60' times

10.69 @ 129mph

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm not speaking to one off runs though.

I have over 12 track runs all trapping 127-129.47 with all sorts of different 60' times

I have over 20 dragy runs all trapping 128-129.6 with all sorts of different 60' times
    My slips were from one visit, 9 runs total, same car (RS6).

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s

Veteran Member Four Rings zcd2.7t's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm not one to obsess over the minutiae of track times, but couldn't the fact that a 1/4 mile run at an actual drag strip records the AVERAGE speed over the last 60' (and doesn't actually measure PEAK speed) account for the discrepancy?
    2013 S6, Glacier White over Black.
    "If you have the means and don't buy this car, we cannot be friends." - R&T
    2015 Q5 TDi - Torque, baby!
    (Gone, never forgotten) 2011 S4 Prestige S-tronic wSTaSIS stuff

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by zcd2.7t View Post
    I'm not one to obsess over the minutiae of track times, but couldn't the fact that a 1/4 mile run at an actual drag strip records the AVERAGE speed over the last 60' (and doesn't actually measure PEAK speed) account for the discrepancy?
    They updated Dragy to measure the same way about a month ago.

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s

Active Member One Ring TechCom-Mike's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wonder if BMW have sorted the V8 though. Great performer but in the 2013-2015 era all sorts of problems due to the turbos sitting in the "Hot Vee". Deterred me getting a 550 a while back. Chewed oil like they were going out of fashion and on the quiet BMW techs were advocating battery change every 10K miles service because they were just getting killed running the fan for ages after switching off. So lots of grunt perhaps but distinctly fragile in design.

Established Member Two Rings mgmarsh39's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TechCom-Mike View Post
    Wonder if BMW have sorted the V8 though. Great performer but in the 2013-2015 era all sorts of problems due to the turbos sitting in the "Hot Vee". Deterred me getting a 550 a while back. Chewed oil like they were going out of fashion and on the quiet BMW techs were advocating battery change every 10K miles service because they were just getting killed running the fan for ages after switching off. So lots of grunt perhaps but distinctly fragile in design.
    Funny you say that. I just turned my 15' f06 off after a short drive this evening and can still hear those damn fans running.
    F06 M6 Gran Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic on Sakhir Orange, competition package
    C7 S6 - Mythos Black on Black, Unitronic stage 1+, Milltek resonated catback, lowering links, Vossen VFS6 20x10.5 +30 - SOLD
    C5 RS6, Misano Red over Silver, Daz Tune, SRM Intercoolers, H&R Coilovers, Morr VS8.2 19x9s - SOLD

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

IMG_4050.JPG

2.59.. and itís only going to get faster.
    Car can do 2.3-2.4

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings JorisRS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

IMG_0465.jpg
    Ill just post this.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 MDX Advance pkg, a workbench
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by JorisRS6 View Post
    IMG_0465.jpg
    Ill just post this.
    Thats fugly. Too much going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -------
    2014 S6 - Stage 3, AMS downpipes with custom exhaust
    2013 S4 - Dual Pulley e85 - sold

Active Member Two Rings ilikecooltech's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Durango R/T Blackout Package

Quote Originally Posted by TechCom-Mike View Post
    Traded my 550 in - changed the battery, fuel pumps and did the recall fix. Just as the new owner purchased it from the dealer the engine blew. No interest in BMW V8s - way too problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings aaron1085's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 2.0T A4

new m5 0-60 in 2.8, 10.9 in quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    RE-DIC

Spot on quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein"
    "Treat everyone like a million bucks; and always have a plan to kill them"