Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

'09 A4 2.0T Engine Failure (timing chain tensioner)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Wondering if someone might be able to supply me with a little advice. Some background on the vehicle before I start. It's got 190,000km on it and I've owned it for 5 years - just paid it off last month actually. No modifications outside of an AWE exhaust. Vehicle is spotless. Taken very good care of. New brakes (2 months ago) and tires (6 months ago).

Got in it Wednesday morning and it was idling a little rough. Hopped on the road to make a meeting and drove about 5km down the road. Check engine light came on while driving. When I got where I was going I called Audi to see if I should bring it in and if I should have it towed. I was about ten minutes away and service manager told me it should be fine to drive over and wouldn't do any damage to do so. Tried to start it several times. Cranked but wouldn't turn over. Heard an unusual sound and stopped. Called CAA and had it towed over.

Heard back this morning. Timing chain tensioner failed and it jumped a bunch of teeth. Let's just say I understand why they call them interference engines now. Everything collided internally.

I'm about $200 deep for diagnostics at the moment. They've told me the next step would be to see if they'd only need to replace the head or if the block is done too. They're going to need 7-8 hours to do this and another $1,000. At that point I may just need a head or I may need an entire engine. Probably $4000 for the former and $8000 for the latter. I have been able to find a used engine nearby for $2800 that would work for the car though.

Anyways, just wondering if that estimate to see where I stand seems reasonable or not. Also, how much money would people consider dumping in? Is the used engine a decent option? This car should have easily lasted me another 3-4 years and has had most major wear items replaced recently.

The most frustrating thing is that apparently there's a class action lawsuit going on in Canada and the US for this exact issue. Given that's the case, Audi must know there's an issue with the tensioner. They even started putting an improved version of the part in to the car starting in 2012 or 2013.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julian

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

many of us have been here.... myself included.....

tons of info at this thread.... LINK
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Established Member Two Rings stussy2870's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charchuk View Post
    They even started putting an improved version of the part in to the car starting in 2012 or 2013.

Julian
    Is this verified true? How do you know.. I have a 2015 but i commute pretty heavily and already have almost 60k miles. Hoping what you say is true..
    2015 Premium A4 Sline 6M/T, Dinan PiggyBack, K&N Typhoon Intake, Comfort Drop Spings, Niche Targa 20x10, RS4 Grill, Slotted/Dimpled Rotors and some G2'd Calipers

Established Member Two Rings Nczcar01's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by stussy2870 View Post
    Is this verified true? How do you know.. I have a 2015 but i commute pretty heavily and already have almost 60k miles. Hoping what you say is true..
    I have a 2010 A4 that had the old version TC tensioner. I replaced mine as a precautionary measure...all I have read and heard is not a matter of “if” but “when” this old version (coupled with tc stretch) will fail. I’ve read numerous posts that seem to point to 2012 as the year Audi transitioned to the new TC tensioner. Not sure when in 2012 and pretty sure Bill (above) has a 2012 that jumped timing. There is a removable plastic inspection plug on the lower TC cover that some owners have popped out to inspect their TC tensioner. Pretty sure your 2015 has the new version. Others more knowledgeable can provide more detailed info.
    Last edited by Nczcar01; 03-13-2018 at 07:26 PM.
    2006 Audi A6 Quattro 3.2L
    2010 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0L 6 sp mt
    2015 Ford F-150 super crew 5.0L
    2018 Mazda CX 9 Grand Touring
    1994 Honda ST1100
    1982 Honda GL500

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by stussy2870 View Post
    your ok with the 2015......
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo