Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

Made the plunge into paint correction/protection

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm looking for advice on a mild correction fluid designed to remove light swirling and the occasional water spot and basically just make the misano red paint pop with a little more depth.

With that said, I've done a bit of reading/research with the intention of making the plunge into taking better care of my car's paint long-term. My car is a daily driver and as such, I'm not over the top OCD when it comes to paint protection but I do like to take proper care of my car. I use proper methodology for washing and drying although I am not using air to dry the car but am using microfiber towels and not using a circular motion to dry.

Overall, I think the car's in decent shape. I have some very light marks and some small swirl/scratches here and there on the car. Most are "hidden" by a good wax. My hood is probably the worst in terms of micro scratches/swirling and it's made me want to take the next step as the wax doesn't hide the swirling.

I'm currently using Meguiar's Ultimate wax but haven't used any other products on the car's paint yet, other than a spot on the trunk which I did by hand with good results (Turtlewax polishing compound). My father is a chemical engineer, and while I only played one on TV, I do go to him for thoughts and advice on various chemicals, waxes and their properties. With that said, I have a hard time paying for pricey options containing super common elements and compounds. I'm less "boutique" and more mainstream as those guys usually have the labs/R&D to come up with something worthwhile that moves the game.

My hood is probably the worst in terms of micro scratches/swirling. There are a few other spots but nothing that I would consider major. And therein lies the rub. I'm not an expert on what my car needs so I'm going with as little "correction" as possible to start out with.

I went and purchased the Griot's 6" random orbital. It was down to that or the Porter Cable. I also purchased (three of each) the red waxing pad as well as the orange correcting.

There are so many pads and grades available. It really leaves me to the point of being indecisive. I'm also of the impression the various correction fluids rely on a chemical reaction in addition to micro abrasives and the orbital's speed/throw to level paint corrections. I basically want to go as mild as possible. I really feel it's become a marketing scheme to offer as many different levels as possible. I'm sure they work as described but I also think they were designed to spread out the spectrum so to speak, when more than likely, two to three products would probably be just as optimal.

Honestly, I'm wondering if the Turtlewax polish would be enough with the orange pad or even the red waxing pad. Thoughts?
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/JHM Stage 1 ECU Tune/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a 12 Second boat, & Wife's Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    I'm looking for advice on a mild correction fluid designed to remove light swirling and the occasional water spot and basically just make the misano red paint pop with a little more depth.
    black and red really look awesome polished out! I've had both.

With that said, I've done a bit of reading/research with the intention of making the plunge into taking better care of my car's paint long-term. My car is a daily driver and as such, I'm not over the top OCD when it comes to paint protection but I do like to take proper care of my car. I use proper methodology for washing and drying although I am not using air to dry the car but am using microfiber towels and not using a circular motion to dry.
    Thumbs up! Autogeek, AutoTopia, Detailed Image, and Detailers Domain are all good places to visit. I'm on most of them. Drying wise, look into using a leaf blower followed up by a damp rag wipe down. Never drive with a dry rag/towel.

Overall, I think the car's in decent shape. I have some very light marks and some small swirl/scratches here and there on the car. Most are "hidden" by a good wax. My hood is probably the worst in terms of micro scratches/swirling and it's made me want to take the next step as the wax doesn't hide the swirling.
    Should be easy to correct. Sounds like a medium cut pad with some all in one or simply a polish and sealant.

I'm currently using Meguiar's Ultimate wax but haven't used any other products on the car's paint yet, other than a spot on the trunk which I did by hand with good results (Turtlewax polishing compound). My father is a chemical engineer, and while I only played one on TV, I do go to him for thoughts and advice on various chemicals, waxes and their properties. With that said, I have a hard time paying for pricey options containing super common elements and compounds. I'm less "boutique" and more mainstream as those guys usually have the labs/R&D to come up with something worthwhile that moves the game.
    Meg's makes great products. Ultimate Compound and Polish and wax are all great.

My hood is probably the worst in terms of micro scratches/swirling. There are a few other spots but nothing that I would consider major. And therein lies the rub. I'm not an expert on what my car needs so I'm going with as little "correction" as possible to start out with.
    Unless the car has been painted or is one you're not familiar with you'll be fine. I hear the "as least aggressive as possible" a lot and while it's true, the end-game is still to remove the marring and correct the finish, so it doesn't matter if you do it with wool and compound then polish or polish/pad and lots of effort. Your call really.

I went and purchased the Griot's 6" random orbital. It was down to that or the Porter Cable. I also purchased (three of each) the red waxing pad as well as the orange correcting.
    Good start. Orange is a medium cutting pad. On those buffers use the "thin" pads. They will rotate and cut better. You'll need 5 for a full car, changing them every 2 panels...or wash and dry them between uses.
    There are so many pads and grades available. It really leaves me to the point of being indecisive. I'm also of the impression the various correction fluids rely on a chemical reaction in addition to micro abrasives and the orbital's speed/throw to level paint corrections. I basically want to go as mild as possible. I really feel it's become a marketing scheme to offer as many different levels as possible. I'm sure they work as described but I also think they were designed to spread out the spectrum so to speak, when more than likely, two to three products would probably be just as optimal.
    Just read up on the various pads and their uses. If you're just targeting your car as it is now, just use and orange pad for the cutting and a white light polishing pad to bring out the gloss and depth. Product matters first, pad second.

Honestly, I'm wondering if the Turtlewax polish would be enough with the orange pad or even the red waxing pad. Thoughts?
    Don't know the product. Red pads are strictly for applying waxes and sealants, they offer no cut for correction.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport | Burger MS JB4 | 395awhp/430awtq
    2018 Ruby Red Metallic Lincoln MK-C Reserve | AWD 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife's
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS - SOLD

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Same here just bought like 380 worth of products, only because AutoGeek has a 25% off sale off everything ended up saving about $125 off. Now to buy an orbiter and a pressure washer. Griot's 6 looks good does the CarPro pads fit on that I wonder...
    '18 GWM S3 / Tech Pkg / Black Optic Pkg / S Sport Seats / S Sport Pkg / Audi Beam Quattro /
    Mods / CTS Turbo Res Delete Kit / 034Motorsport X34 Carbon Fiber Intake / Unitronic Turbo Inlet Pipe / EMD Auto PURE Carbon Fiber Front Splitter / EMD Auto eMMOTION Rear Sway Bar kit / B7 S4 Rear Headrests /

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for the feedback pdqgp. See you have an Infinit, just left the Infiniti world although my other car is a QX70S so only half out :)

Griot's doesn't have a white polishing pad? I think their polishing pad is black.

So basically I can't get away with just two products, I'm going to need a (and I apologize if I'm not using the right terminology) a cutting/correcting compound, a polish and then a wax. At a minimum.

And I definitely need more pads then. It's an RS5 so it's not a 4-door or an overly large vehicle but I also have the SUV so I guess more pads makes sense.

I already have a pressure washer and I use that, in several phases to remove particles, add soap and then rinse. Rest is by hand, two bucket method with a microfiber mitt and no circular motions.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/JHM Stage 1 ECU Tune/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a 12 Second boat, & Wife's Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    Thanks for the feedback pdqgp. See you have an Infinit, just left the Infiniti world although my other car is a QX70S so only half out :)

Griot's doesn't have a white polishing pad? I think their polishing pad is black.
    Color will vary by system. I'm not familiar with Griot's. Just put in whatever their appropriate pad is.

So basically I can't get away with just two products, I'm going to need a (and I apologize if I'm not using the right terminology) a cutting/correcting compound, a polish and then a wax. At a minimum.
    Cutting and polishing and wax/sealant application are the three you will likely be using.

And I definitely need more pads then. It's an RS5 so it's not a 4-door or an overly large vehicle but I also have the SUV so I guess more pads makes sense.
    Even an RS5 though has quite a bit of surface area. On compounding or All in One situations, I use 5-6 pads total. Clean pads are a key component to successful correction. You'll see the pads get dirty and you don't want to grind dirt into the finish by continuing to use them.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport | Burger MS JB4 | 395awhp/430awtq
    2018 Ruby Red Metallic Lincoln MK-C Reserve | AWD 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife's
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS - SOLD

AZ Member #
    My Garage

More pads ordered. I'm going to go with the Meguiars Ultimate line of compound, finish and their wax since I already have that one.

Thanks again! I'll report back once I've worked over the car. Might be a month with the on and off again rain.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Finally managed to get all the pads and fluids in and dove into it today for the first time. I spent about three hours from the time I started cleaning and got through the first step of compound on about half the car. I still have to do the passenger's side, front and rear bumpers. Just ran out of time and will power after lots of landscaping work earlier in the day.

I will say this; all those extra bulges and creases make working on an RS5 a pain in the ass. There are very few flat surfaces which makes it more difficult when using a 6.5" pad.

So I'm using the Meguiar's Ultimate compound solution with Both the Meguiar's maroon pad (cutting pad) and Griot's Orange light cutting pads. As of right now, I like the Meguiar's pad more. Seems to work for longer.

Everything's turning out great but the hood could use something more aggressive. Everywhere else I seem to be golden. There are some cleaning scratches that aren't fully coming out. They're not easily visible unless you're under artificial lighting. At some point I may try something more aggressive.

What I have done so far looks good enough that I feel like I could go straight to wax. But I do have two different Meguiar's polishes, the mirror glaze as well as the ultimate and five pads just waiting to be used.. I've read the ultimate is harder to work with and has fillers so I picked up the glaze. Will do that then the Ultimate wax.

Went to a cars and coffee event this weekend and saw a black S5 that had absolutely perfect paint. Done by a pro but still. Black car, perfect paint. Mind blown.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I went ahead and did the mirror glaze then a final wax. Had to finish the last two panels with compound this morning as I didn't get it all done last night. I used the Meguiar's polish pads for the glaze and then Griot's waxing pads for the Meguiar's Ultimate wax. Pretty satisfied with the results. All told, it took me about eight hours from the moment I started to wash the car. I now get why people use aggressive pads.

As a newb, it's tough for me to assess how good or bad the paint is. Someone who's experienced may look at it and know right away to go with a more or less aggressive pad or compound. The swirling is gone but I do still have small scratches here and there that can be seen under florescent light but not really visible in daylight.

The other issue I had is when I went to do the final coat of wax. I used the buffer on 3 if I remember and it was really hard to see that it was laying down a layer of wax. It'd flash over almost right away and I probably used too much wax. It just wasn't visible unless you got really close to the pad and saw it evaporate shortly after being laid down on the paint. I knew it was waxed as it was super slick compared to the paint right after the glaze.

Just really glad I'd already clayed the car recently as it would have added another two hours.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Looks good! I'm also taking the plunge once the weather breaks. Did you tape off your door blades, or how did you handle them with the orbital? Also smaller areas around the grill, just hand application? TIA

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Looks great! I recently picked up an all black A4 with the black optics package. The car is a CPO and is only 6 months old. I am almost done gathering all of my supplies for a minor paint correction and ceramic coat ( porter Cable orbital, clay bar kit, m205, and CarPro quartz UK). I am really excited to get this done since I like to keep my cars looking pristine. Now, a few words about the Black Optics package... love the look of the trim, but maaan it scratches easily and mine actually looks like hell, especially after the most recent trip to the tint shop... anyone have experience polishing the black optics exterior trim pieces ( b pillars are in worst shape)? I watched a few videos but thought I would see if any of the Audi weekend warriors attempted to restore theirs? Much appreciated!