Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings impulse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 B7 A4 - 2.7t Swapped. 2008 8P A3 - 3.2L VR6

Impulseís A32 Progression Thread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone,

Going to apologize for the length of the first post or two in advance!

My name is Joe, some of you may know me from the B7 A4 world. Iím not very active in the A3 forums, but figured I would make a progress thread to keep track of what I do with the car, and also get to know some more people. Iíve had my A3 since June 11, 2017 and have loved it every minute of the way. It is a 2008 with the S-Line package, powered by a 3.2L VR6 and paired with Quattro and a DSG transmission, which I will admit is still fun to drive. I do wish this car was offered with a 6MT, however. I acquired it with just under 102,000 miles.

Hereís some photos that I took soon after purchasing it:

Anyway...

I picked this car up because at the time my B7 A4 was down for the count with a seized head, and was undergoing a motor transplant (more below). While that was happening, I was daily driving a B5 A4 that had a torque converter fail. I didnít see the sense in replacing that (ended up just parting it out), and my A4 was still under the knife...

So I did what any normal human would do... Finance another Audi! I decided to splurge for a car that always caught my eye from when I was younger, because I was tired of driving terribly unreliable cars. I had a VR6 MK4 Jetta when I was younger, and really enjoyed the motor.

Moving on...

Soon into the ownership, I got a flat tire a couple of days prior to Waterfest. Since I had registered the A4 and couldnít take it, I was bringing the A3. But there was no way I was driving CT to NJ on a donut...

So I put my winter wheels on and went to the show. I ended up getting third in the stock class which was pretty cool. My buddy Chris with the Sprint Blue RS4 got second

Later in the summer, I decided to switch up the wheels. Ended up finding these 18x8 A4 Premium wheels for a decent price, and decided to buy them. They did need some curb rash repair, which I decided to take on myself. I think the end result was worth the effort!

Also found a nice set of winter shoes since this car was going to be in full time winter use, regardless of the status of the B7. I would say Iíve put them to good use!

And then most recently I bought a Milltek non-res catback exhaust. It was on ECS for 50% off as part of a ďlimited quantity saleĒ, and I knew I had to have it.

Not much really has gone on with the car since Iíve got it, other than general maintenance such as oil changes and a DSG fluid flush. I do plan on lowering it and getting the windows tinted. I also would like to get a full mesh front grille and put some mesh in the fog light grilles. My plans for this are going to be limited since I want to start saving my money, but we will see how good I am at that...

Anyway, hereís the link to my B7 A4 since this itís the real project car.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Picture-Heavy)

Also, hereís a link to my B5 A4 and the roller coaster of a 6 month ride that it took me on...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-Great-Again!

Joe
    @jg_iii_
    Check out my progression thread - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Picture-Heavy)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Picked up some 19x8.5 ET 43 peelers today. Going to try to get a stance similar to this one. Looking to be OEM+ with this ďbuildĒ if you can call it that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe
    @jg_iii_
    Check out my progression thread - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Picture-Heavy)

Active Member Two Rings jalegria86's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looking good... 19ís on 35 for the tires right cause 40 donít fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jalegria86 View Post
    Looking good... 19ís on 35 for the tires right cause 40 donít fit?

Yeah going to run 225/35/19

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Suspension has arrived!

Joe
    @jg_iii_

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Once you get your tires on the wheels, could you take a detailed picture on the "stretch"? I'm on 225/40/18s on 18x8.5 and want to run a 19x8.5 but with the smaller tire wall, it may look too stretched and I'm not a fan of that look. If I run 235/35/19, I'm definitely going to rub.

Also that car looks very clean for its age and mileage. Previous owner definitely took care of it.
    12' Audi A3 Premium+ | Deep Sea Blue Pearl | Open Sky | ST Coilovers | Full LED Interior | RS3 Front Grill | VMR V710 18" Gunmetal | Milltek Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by abiley84 View Post
    Once you get your tires on the wheels, could you take a detailed picture on the "stretch"? I'm on 225/40/18s on 18x8.5 and want to run a 19x8.5 but with the smaller tire wall, it may look too stretched and I'm not a fan of that look. If I run 235/35/19, I'm definitely going to rub.

Also that car looks very clean for its age and mileage. Previous owner definitely took care of it.
    It shouldnít really be stretched, might be more of a flush look if anything. It might be a bit before I mount tires, I need to work on the peelers a bit before tires go on.

Yeah definitely clean! I donít really know the history on it, but I bought it from a dealer in New Jersey. If I had to guess it was a one owner car before I got it

Joe
    @jg_iii_

Veteran Member Four Rings Das Ponto's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

Quote Originally Posted by impulse View Post
    Picked up some 19x8.5 ET 43 peelers today. Going to try to get a stance similar to this one. Looking to be OEM+ with this ďbuildĒ if you can call it that

Ah TP's old car... a classic of the A3 world.

Digging the progress so far! It's only been 2 weeks but I kinda miss my old A3.

Ignore the missing tow hook, i went through like 4 of those.
    Ryan
    13' Scuba Blue Allroad | APR Stage 1 | H&R Sport Springs | Rotiform KPS
    Instagram: Dasponto | Flickr

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Das Ponto View Post
    Ah TP's old car... a classic of the A3 world.

Digging the progress so far! It's only been 2 weeks but I kinda miss my old A3.

Ignore the missing tow hook, i went through like 4 of those.
    Itís a very clean car! Canít wait to get mine sitting more proper. I donít see this car getting too too modded unless I hit lotto. Just basic clean daily mods. Your car was also really clean!

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

Itís a very clean car! Canít wait to get mine sitting more proper. I donít see this car getting too too modded unless I hit lotto. Just basic clean daily mods. Your car was also really clean!

Thanks! Yeah it didn't have to much for mods, kept it simple and Oem +

The S5 wheel and RS3 leather trim inside was one of my favorite upgrades though. The KW V2's were amazing though.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the black beauty! The 3.2 is a great engine, loved it.

I'll be over in the Q5 world workin on our 13' now to make it my own.
    Ryan

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks! Yeah it didn't have to much for mods, kept it simple and Oem +

The S5 wheel and RS3 leather trim inside was one of my favorite upgrades though. The KW V2's were amazing though.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the black beauty! The 3.2 is a great engine, loved it.

I'll be over in the Q5 world workin on our 13' now to make it my own.
    I may not touch the interior on this at all. My B7 definitely will be getting some upgrades in that department. Iím probably just doing coilovers, wheels, tint, grille, and minor aesthetic things

I see you wandered to my instagram haha

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

I may not touch the interior on this at all. My B7 definitely will be getting some upgrades in that department. Iím probably just doing coilovers, wheels, tint, grille, and minor aesthetic things

I see you wandered to my instagram haha

Yup found it! Your B7 is Awesome!!

Thanks to some crazy good deals my interior was near perfect... About 800$ CDN later.

CRW_4858 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

Grabby by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr
    Ryan

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yup found it! Your B7 is Awesome!!

Thanks to some crazy good deals my interior was near perfect... About 800$ CDN later.
    Thanks! Lots of time and effort and frustration in that thing lol. Those mods look really good!

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #

I need a overseas or Canadian hook up to find me pieces like this

Hopefully in the future Iíll grab some S3 or RS3 interior pieces

Definitely looks good.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

I need a overseas or Canadian hook up to find me pieces like this

Hopefully in the future Iíll grab some S3 or RS3 interior pieces

Definitely looks good.

Haha well I'll keep tabs on my old A3 if he ever writes it off or parts it out for sure.

Sent from my igloo
    Ryan

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So 2 weekends ago I tried my first attempt at installing the coilovers. After stripping one of the Allen heads on the sway bar end link up front, I decided to just install the rears since I had to wait on new end links to come in the mail

So then fast forward to this past weekend and I had all of the parts and was good to go. I have to say, i definitely did not do enough research on how to install this suspension. It took me unusually long, but i know if i did it again i would be way more efficient...

Anyway... I got the coilovers in over the weekend, definitely am happy with how they ride! They height is just about where I was looking to get it at, maybe a little lower after I get the summer wheels on. Iíll play with that later.

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

So 2 weekends ago I tried my first attempt at installing the coilovers. After stripping one of the Allen heads on the sway bar end link up front, I decided to just install the rears since I had to wait on new end links to come in the mail

So then fast forward to this past weekend and I had all of the parts and was good to go. I have to say, i definitely did not do enough research on how to install this suspension. It took me unusually long, but i know if i did it again i would be way more efficient...

Anyway... I got the coilovers in over the weekend, definitely am happy with how they ride! They height is just about where I was looking to get it at, maybe a little lower after I get the summer wheels on. Iíll play with that later.

Well got there eventually eh

Sent from my igloo
    Ryan

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well got there eventually eh

Sent from my igloo
    Yeah... eventually 🤣

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So I bought these S4 peelers for a decent deal in the condition in the first photo. I cleaned them up when I got them home, and then today I was able to sand the rash out and paint it to match. I think I did well, hereís the before, during and after for these

And then of course had to test fit them on the A3

Edit: I have more photos but tapatalk isnít letting me upload them at the moment... Iíll try later

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I may end up trading some A8 wheels I have for C6 A6 peelers, which I didnít know existed until I was offered them. Theyíre 19x8.5 et48 with a 57.1 center bore opposed to 66.6. My thoughts are the front may be poking just a little too much and the 5mm inset will make them fit more flush. I donít want to destroy the quarter panels on this car. Also, the rear needs spacing anyway so Iíll just space them based on ET48 if I do do this trade

This is ET43 front and back

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Eh decided to just mount tires on these peelers, Iím too impatient. They should be on tomorrow when my hubcentric rings arrive.

Anyway, yesterday I tackled my little front end project. I got a new full mesh grille from eBay and I have to say the quality is pretty good especially for the price I paid. My only gripe was how ugly the ring holder is, not being see through. So, I whipped out the Dremel tool and started cutting

And hereís the end result. I also painted the ugly orange side markers, black. And then I also sprayed the fog light grilles so they werenít grey anymore. I think it looks worlds better

And then lastly I did a little center cap mod. I painted the center caps black as well

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Q5 S-line

Nice work man! Paint matched side markers are a must!

Sent from my igloo
    Ryan

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Nice work man! Paint matched side markers are a must!

Sent from my igloo
    Totally agree. The orange looked so out of place

Update: Just needs some window tint and Iíd consider that a wrap on project make the daily more enjoyable / pleasant to look at. Might do some minor other aesthetic modifications such as aero / S4 mirror caps, but thatís about it. Donít care to get in to the performance on this, the catback is all I really wanted. Anything more than that will more than likely cause headaches that I donít want. Thatís what the B7 is for

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Another small mod done, got some B6 S4 brushed aluminum mirror caps!

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #

Nice

How much you pick up the mirror caps for?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Nice

How much you pick up the mirror caps for?

I got them for $165 I think

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Sad day for me and the A3. I think sheís totaled ☹️

I was driving to work and was stopped on a main road because the car in front of me was making a left. I was stopped for maybe a solid 4 seconds and then took a shot in the back at 15-20 mph if I had to guess. The frame bent, the rear quarterpanel is pushed up to the rear door, it buckled in, and the door also has a wrinkle in the metal too. Iím not feeling too optimistic about the results, i guess I will have to wait and see

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #

Damm that blows...

Hope everything works out if not part out party!

Dibs! Calling it

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So, back in early July my A3 was totaled out. I was pretty upset considering I put 1400 total miles on the car after getting the coilovers and peelers on. Iím pretty glad that I took all of my aftermarket parts off of it, especially since in mid July I pulled the trigger on another A3, just a few days after settling on a value for my car. This one is another 2008 3.2 but this time around only has 42,000 miles! I flew from Connecticut to Chicago with my dad and drove 850 miles home. The drive was maybe 18-19 hours total since we pulled over to sleep for 3 hours and eat lunch and dinner on the way. Definitely was a fun time!

I wasted no time with this car since I had all of the parts taking up space in my garage. Sunday morning when we got back I switched out the mirror caps for the brushed aluminum S4 ones. Then on Wednesday I put my milltek non-res catback back on. Then on Saturday I spent the day getting my front end looking how it was as well as installing the coilovers and putting the peelers back on. definitely was a sigh of relief getting that all out of the way!!

The following week I also had the windows tinted, which I was going to do on my old one. Went with 20% all around! May do 50% on the windshield but not sure yet. I have it done on my A4 which you can tell side by side with a car that is not tinted. When in the car itís hardly noticeable

Joe
    @jg_iii_

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Also: hereís some photos of my old A3ís floor pan under the trunk mat. It had a massive wrinkle in it. Also with the bumper off it was way easier to see how much my support bar was pushed in...

Hereís a top/bottom of old/new cars

Joe
    @jg_iii_

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

May do 50% on the windshield but not sure yet.
    Very dumb idea.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist View Post
    Very dumb idea.
    No, not really... my A4 has 50% on the windshield, literally can barely tell. Itís only dumb if you havenít sat inside a car with a tinted windshield before, which Iím going to assume you never have

Joe
    @jg_iii_

Established Member Two Rings Jaysoootatted's Avatar
    AZ Member #

the A3 is looking good man! Question tho, any problems with the cops as far as having our front windshield tinted?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysoootatted View Post
    the A3 is looking good man! Question tho, any problems with the cops as far as having our front windshield tinted?

Appreciate the complement!

The windshield on my A4 has been tinted since July 2016 and Iíve never been pulled over for it. Hell, since then the only thing Iíve been pulled over for in that car is a headlight out, which I was waiting on a new ballast. That being said, cops around me arenít really known for being ball-busters. I truly think it made driving at night easier too. Headlights donít blind nearly as bad with 50% tint. I can stare at a cars lights coming at me and I donít get the blur for any amount of time after

Joe
    @jg_iii_

Established Member Two Rings Jaysoootatted's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iím thinking about tinting my front, but I wanted to go 75% as I didnít want the cops fucking with me. So I might just do 50% cuz like you said itíll be a lot easier driving at night. Appreciate the feedback
    Joe!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysoootatted View Post
    Iím thinking about tinting my front, but I wanted to go 75% as I didnít want the cops fucking with me. So I might just do 50% cuz like you said itíll be a lot easier driving at night. Appreciate the feedback
    Joe!

Youíre welcome! I promise it doesnít make the front any more difficult to see out of at night

Joe
    @jg_iii_

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Q7 . A3 3.2 Quattro and way too many cars in the garage.

I need to hear the milltek with out the res, I have the res version and wish it was a little louder

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CLEANA3 View Post
    I need to hear the milltek with out the res, I have the res version and wish it was a little louder
    https://youtu.be/hDELZu12U98

Here's a vid from my Milltek non res catback
    12' Audi A3 Premium+ | Deep Sea Blue Pearl | Open Sky | ST Coilovers | Full LED Interior | RS3 Front Grill | VMR V710 18" Gunmetal | Milltek Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My car is a VR6 though

Joe
    @jg_iii_

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Q7 . A3 3.2 Quattro and way too many cars in the garage.

2.0 cars dont sound like 3.2 cars

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast