Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings quattro guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 audi a4 quattro 2.0 6sp

Porche BBK b6 a4 questions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Now before anyone tells me to read i have. Just wanted to see if there are some new options for rotors since when this was really popular it was like 9 years ago. I have seen the jhm rotors but i can not justify even by overthinking it spending like $825 on JUST ROTORS. I kno they are 2 piece and light wheight but its a wear item that will need to be replaced and serviced at least 1once a year depending on driving habits. Now after searching for about a good 2 weeks i was just curious if anther company is producing rotors and if another rotor has been found during this time thats more on the affordable side. So now i ask if anyone out there running the jhm rotors, how long have you had them? Miles? Types of driving? Are you happy spending that much money on a self sorced bbk? I guess what im trying to say or find is help justifying spending that much money on just rotors. Btw i should mention that the car im planning on is a daily driver/weekend goer/ roadtrip taker. I have 3 cars and this is my favorite one so it does see alot of driving. Already have the calilpers just need to know if any of the newer cars may have similar dimensions that are requires. I tried googlein rotor specs charts and al types of things to see them as a list and pick the rotors that would come as close as possible but cant find a chart like that. So help on that would be greatly, greatly appriciated.
    06 audi a4 quattro 2.0 6sp, gfb diverter valve, 2.5" test pipe, apr stage 2, r8 coil packs,

02 audi a4 Quattro 1.8 6sp, milltek exhaust, Motoza stage 1+, hyperboost diverter valve, drilled sloted rotors, 2.0 coil convertion kit

Senior Member Three Rings cmiguel32's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8 QT MT

AMG ML55 rotors. No caliper ear shaving necessary, no lug hole enlarging on the rotor. 1mm opening of the center bore with a flapper wheel and you’re good to go. Installing mine soon with an 18z set up.
    Chris

2L Stroker/Built AWM head - IECVA1 cams - JHM: 01E Trans/shifter trio/stage 4 RS4 flywheel/clutch - SEM manifold - F21 Mixed Flow - Motoza MTC w E85 - Bosch 750cc - Walbro 450 - Garrett "600hp" FMIC - 034 engine/trans mounts - Decorsa Exhaust - Koni adjustable coils - Hotchkis FSB/034 RSB - 18z & B7S4 Brakes - OEM RS4 Wheels - Color DIS and VFIZ - Lots of S4 cosmetic & interior retrofitting - etc.
    EFR Build coming soon.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

First, please use paragraphs, etc, next time. This was not easy to decipher.

Assuming you are referring to either 18Z or 17Z calipers, then you have some options. Definitely worth it! I've pieced together a 17Z kit, which I sold, and an 18Z kit which I had ran. I've tracked down calipers from a junked Touareg and Cayenne. Lines you can get from Zeckhausen Racing or Moddiction. There's someone on Panjo selling the mounting hardware, else JHM has those. Pads and discs you can get online (I got mine from Partsgeek).

If you have 17Z, get either Mercedes C230 Sport discs or Volvo V70R discs. Diameter-wise, these should be close. The bolt holes will need to be drilled out to 14.1 mm (or slightly larger, such as 9/16) and the center bore slightly enlarged with a flapper wheel or some similar. These may fit under certain 17s depending on design. Pair of discs should cost you ~$120 give or take, plus 330mm pads. It'll be slightly offset to one side, but should be fine. Plenty of people drive around like that.

For 18Z, get the Mercedes ML55 AMG discs. The bolt holes are the right size already and you just need to enlarge the hub bore as described above. Since these are 345 mm discs and not 350, if you run 350 mm pads, you'll get a slight bit of overhang but I have not heard anyone have any issues with that. Conversely, 330 mm pads will give you a lip from part of the disc not worn. I have personally run these on my B7 A4 and they were amazing. I used Centric High Carbon discs with their Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads, and they were great. Note that Centric does own Stop-Tech.

Overally, definitely worth it to me, and I put together a whole kit for less than the cost JHM wants for their discs. I don't track or race my cars, so the extra weight of the rotor hat and the slight offset from center never bothered me. These brakes helped me avoid rear-ending the car in front of me--until the car behind me rear-ended me into them.

If you upgrade the fronts, you should look into S4 rears to replace your A4's rears--it'll help complement them and vented rears are great.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah sorry about that i typed it on my phone and in a rush.

What year benz again? Those seem like the exact same options back from 09, has no one tried other rotors or plain and simple no newer cars have anything we could use. Dont the benz rotors make your cylinders push out further because the rotor is thinner or not centered if i remeber correctly? I have the 18z and i am planning on doing the s4 rears later on once i get this over with, getting the jhm bolts and lines im still rrying to find the best deal. Problably going to go with some rs4 lines since someone back in the day tried it and succeded.
    06 audi a4 quattro 2.0 6sp, gfb diverter valve, 2.5" test pipe, apr stage 2, r8 coil packs,

02 audi a4 Quattro 1.8 6sp, milltek exhaust, Motoza stage 1+, hyperboost diverter valve, drilled sloted rotors, 2.0 coil convertion kit

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

A few people have looked into other discs, but it seems those are still the best options. I purchased the 2002 ML55 AMG discs. RS4 lines are correct--the "lines" I mentioned above are those.

Yes they are not centered but I had >20k miles on mine before my car was totaled and they were great.

Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Mustang GT Performance Package, 1983 Chevy Silverado

What about Stasis/Alcon 349mm rotors that were in the Stasis 'touring' brake kit? Has anyone tried those?
    2005.5 6 speed with the Premium, Lighting, Sport, and Cold Weather packages

Pag Parts EFR 6758 kit, Pag Parts intake/FMIC/manifold/downpipe, Eurodyne Boost Manager Plus, Eurodyne Maestro, StopTech 332mm BBK, Stasis Touring suspension

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Nice. I just checked to see how much they where with a company, drilled slotted gold zinc covered for both rotors for $157.60 now this is something more affordable

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Texasboy, not that i have heard or read of. The main point here at least for me is to keep things as economical as possible. I would imagine that those rotors are easily upwards of $500, which is still better than $800 rotors. I dont track the car or anything so honestly the extra weight doesn't bother me. I will look into them though.

Something a bit off topic, how do you like your efr? Im planning on doing one but with the 7163. I read that it spools faster than the 6758. What manifold are you running?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quattro guy View Post
    Texasboy, not that i have heard or read of. The main point here at least for me is to keep things as economical as possible. I would imagine that those rotors are easily upwards of $500, which is still better than $800 rotors. I dont track the car or anything so honestly the extra weight doesn't bother me. I will look into them though.

Something a bit off topic, how do you like your efr? Im planning on doing one but with the 7163. I read that it spools faster than the 6758. What manifold are you running?
    I have a pair of the rotors if you want to shoot me an offer.

I like the EFR a lot, itll hit 25+ psi below 3500 rpms. Its the Pag Parts kit - their vband manifold, catless testpipe, and custom turbo inlet pipe with the stock airbox.

The kit was purchased before the 7163 was out. I have heard nothing but great things about it and my upgrade to it in the future but for right now the 6758 has been great.

Pag Parts EFR 6758 kit, Pag Parts intake/FMIC/manifold/downpipe, Eurodyne Boost Manager Plus, Eurodyne Maestro, StopTech 332mm BBK, Stasis Touring suspension

AZ Member #
    My Garage

🤔🤔🤔 pics of the rotors?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quattro guy View Post
    🤔🤔🤔 pics of the rotors?
    This is a pic of the entire kit with the exception of the Carbotech pads.

349x28 rotors
    17lbs

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks rocket. And Texasboy, i will not be able to use those. They are too thin. I am just going to get the ml55 rotors since thwy are 345x32. Problably going to shim the pads because the original rotor from the 18z minimum wear is 32mm. I dont want to push the calipers past their limit.

I reall wish we could find a rotor in the 350 range with the correct offset. Maybe when i fid a list of rotor sizes and their corresponding cars i will explore this option. Speaking of which is there such a list? How where the mb rotors discovered that they would work for this set up?

Veteran Member Three Rings Osher67's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I don't know about other options for the 18z I've heard about the ml55,
    But I opted for the v70r rotors for my 17z because of the thickness (32mm I believe)

The 18z are 34mm thickness looks like.
    http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...#/topics/54543

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Josh
    🇩🇪

2002 01A Quattro
    K04-15 (Unitronic)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yeah. 18z original rotors minimum wear is 32. Im going to go woth the 2002 mb ml55 amg and shim the pads. Ill post pictures when i get every thing together. Might be a few weeks as my stock wheels are 17's so i have to wait til i know there won't be more snow so i can slap my 19's on and proceed.i was reading about the breaks feeling wierd. Anyone have more info on that?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok. Got the calipers and rotors installed, bought a set of oem s4 wheels (b7) because i read that they would clear. My summer wheels are 19x9.5 square set up et38? They don't fit! 😠😠😠😠

what size spacer did you guys ran or what was the deal with that to those who ran the brembo 18z.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

[IMG]Bbk https://imgur.com/gallery/UjecP[/IMG]

AZ Member #
    My Garage

AZ Member #
    My Garage

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I have a set of ET35 S5 reps. I ran a 12 mm spacer up front and an 8 mm spacer in the rear and they looked pretty square and cleared the caliper. Biggest factor is enough offset and spoke design to clear the caliper.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That brought down your total front et to 23. I have 9.5 wide wheels so im maxed on both ends. I bough these wheels not thinking i was going to do a bbk. I am going to try and run a 5mm spacer but i seriously doubt it will clear. Picture of my car coming up shorty ao you guys can see the fitment

AZ Member #
    My Garage

AZ Member #
    My Garage

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

They look great, but again, a lot is down to spoke design. You may be able to clear with RS4s ET29 IIRC

I didn't need 12 mm up front, but decided on it because it essentially put the wheels flush

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ill have to play around with some spacers but this kit might be up for sale pretty soon 😔😢😭

AZ Member #
    My Garage

B7 s4 wheels fit with a 8mm spacer with plenty of Clearance. Unfortunately my summer wheels are to wide and to concaved to fit with a 8mm spacer. I believe that at minimun i would need a 12mm. So went back to stock for now. Just my update.