Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings fx_warrior's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 avant

Just hit a pothole and right tire is vibrating.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Dark an unavoidable, don't see anything cracked, could it be I just knocked the alignment off is that a thing when you hit potholes? Super pissed, like hey NY why not take some of my tax money and fix the goddam roads!!!! Just happy I didn't put the VFF103's on yet, next week they go on, just hoping to avoid any surprises as far as damage. But is there anything else that could cause the right side to vibrate after a hard hit like that?
    B8.5 APR Stage 1 KW HAS VFF 103's

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Probably bent; if you cannot see anything on the outside, could be a bend on the inside rim area. May have also thrown a wheel weight, but I'm willing to bet it's bent.

PS: Having lived in NJ and now in MD, I feel you pain!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

ya i would go with bent rim also. check your tire pressure also. with bends or cracks they will loose pressure.

check the tire tread also. i have seem some pot holes take chunks out of the tire.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 avant

Alright cool, well not cool, but I have a set of wheels to throw on so I can take the hit there. Just hoping nothing structural. Will keep an eye on the tire pressure.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

one other possibility is that you broke some of the cords internally on the tire.
    this will cause the tire to go 'out of round'.....
    Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S5; 2010 Lincoln MKS (3.5 Ecoboost)

Bent rim is probably the most likely culprit unfortunately. If after a self-inspection you don't see anything that is out of the norm, then check the balance on the wheel. losing weights out of the well of the rim can also cause a similar issue if too out of balance. Bent rims suck...I have one each on my S5 and Lincoln MKS (#IhateDCpotholes). fortunately mine aren't totally intolerable and can wait until the Spring.

Active Member Two Rings Moto_Beck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S5 Cabrio | MKVII GTI | '14 Triumph Street Triple R

Does it hum? Is it consistent at all speeds?

When i lived back east in NJ - i drilled a pothole merging on to 95 in Conn - it was horrendous. We were headed to a wedding in NH - on the highway up - i was earing a loud hum/vibration that was pretty noticable around 30mph to 75mph and then it went away at higher or lower speeds than that.

When i got back i took it to a shop and ended up that i hit the pot hole so hard it busted a wheel bearing.

Could very well be a bent rim if you're getting shaking/vibrating but if you're getting more of a hum and it varies at speed - could be a shot wheel bearing.

Veteran Member Four Rings shonseb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Audi A4 P+ competition plus, '15 Audi A3, '05 Camry

It's bent. Same thing happened to me on 95n in the Bronx in my A4. I should have known netter and taken a parkway instead of Highway/freeway/thruway. I usually run Higher tire pressures, especially in the winter. Ride is harsher but it helps prevent bent wheels.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 avant

I haven't had it checked out yet lol, I don't drive much, going to Eurotech next week to have new wheels put on with springs. However, reexamining the wheel, unless the bend is somewhere on the back side since nothing is visible, I think a weight did pop off. I noticed a black square where it looks like a weight was, never knew they could pop off like that, if in fact that's what it was.

Doesn't look like anyone thinks it could be structural so phew, that's my biggest concern.

Thanks again. And now I'm going from 19's to 20's in Putnam NY lol, god help me.

PS If anyone knows anything about lug bolt lengths and what I would need for these wheels, I have a question in the wheel gallery thread that could use an answer!

Active Member Two Rings Moto_Beck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S5 Cabrio | MKVII GTI | '14 Triumph Street Triple R

Quote Originally Posted by fx_warrior View Post

Thanks again. And now I'm going from 19's to 20's in Putnam NY lol, god help me.
    Time to buy some clothes pins and out them on your nipples to dull the anxiety of hitting your next pothole.

I thought escaping the pothole hell of the north east to California was going to be epic but our roads are shit here too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings athree20v's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Probably bent...

One day after I just got my brandy-new Vorsteiners on,I went for a drive on the highway. Cruising at around 70-75 I decided to switch lanes and BOOM!...Drove right into a huge pothole that had the divider line sprayed right into it, effectively camouflaging it. Instant vibes and noise...Destroyed my right front wheel with a taco-like bend and the tire had a huge bubble in the side wall...

$750ish later I got a replacement wheel/tire combo sent to me.

Yay cars.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 avant

Quote Originally Posted by athree20v View Post
    Probably bent...

One day after I just got my brandy-new Vorsteiners on,I went for a drive on the highway. Cruising at around 70-75 I decided to switch lanes and BOOM!...Drove right into a huge pothole that had the divider line sprayed right into it, effectively camouflaging it. Instant vibes and noise...Destroyed my right front wheel with a taco-like bend and the tire had a huge bubble in the side wall...

$750ish later I got a replacement wheel/tire combo sent to me.

Yay cars.
    That sucks. That's what I just replaced my oem wheels with, Vorsteiners, got the 103's. Haven't been driving a lot recently, just drove on i684 to Eurotech and back, I684 looks like it's falling apart after this winter, doesn't give me hope as to how long these wheels will last!

And just for the end result, not one bent rim but TWO. Which actually explains a lot lol.