Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    14 GMC Sierra All Terrain, 01 BMW M5, 05.5 Audi S4, 17 Subaru STI

Anyone swap a A8 motor into an S4

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all, so I bought an S4 with a crap motor, thereís no compression what so ever in the engine. I checked 3 out of the 8 cylinders and had nothing. Stopped after that. So Iíve been looking into a motor, and thought to myself well whatís the different with the A8 motor or the Audi A6 with the 4.2? Any insight on if the A8 motor would work? I searched forums and didnít see anything pop up or at least not anything Iíve seen with this being asked. Please let me know if anyone has done this or has knowledge on this.

Thanks...

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Which S4 did you buy? B6 S4? Asking because you mentioned it has 8 cylinders; this section is for the B5 S4 which came with the 2.7L Bi-Turbo V6.
    2001.5 S4 Avant: JHM shifter, 3" exhaust, Stage 1, APR bipipe, lowered, receiving lots of love ($$$)

2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: so many upgrades. Parting out.

2001 Corvette (C5) Z06: just getting started

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    14 GMC Sierra All Terrain, 01 BMW M5, 05.5 Audi S4, 17 Subaru STI

Sorry wrong subsection...

Established Member Two Rings Isaac313's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Ford F350 Diesel - 2000 Audi S4 - 1994 Ford F150 Lightning

The A8 should have a timing belt and the A6 should have a timing chain. The engines otherwise should be relatively similar. The big differences would be more like A8 vs S8, forged rods, different heads, valves, tunes, a few other things etc.

Senior Member Three Rings BADRVCA's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b6 a4 2.7t swapped,85 4000s , b6 a4 STK , q7 soon

Quote Originally Posted by MeanM View Post
    Hello all, so I bought an S4 with a crap motor, thereís no compression what so ever in the engine. I checked 3 out of the 8 cylinders and had nothing. Stopped after that. So Iíve been looking into a motor, and thought to myself well whatís the different with the A8 motor or the Audi A6 with the 4.2? Any insight on if the A8 motor would work? I searched forums and didnít see anything pop up or at least not anything Iíve seen with this being asked. Please let me know if anyone has done this or has knowledge on this.

Thanks...
    I got an a8 engine I was gonna put in my B5 but I end up selling the shell .. have complete engine with harness and also 01a 5 speed transmission . I can sell that for a crazy deal ... Pm me if interested

Sent from my H1711 using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy

Nollywood?

He's done it a dozen times maybe. Once you iron out a few little details it seems to be one of the more straight-forward swaps that gets you a nice car.
    The only A6 that had a timing chain was the 4.2 Allroad. The 4.2 in the A/S8 and A/S6 were belt driven and the A/S6 was a good 340hp , the regular 4.2 is 300hp.
    Not bad for a totally stock engine.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?