Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thumbs down Possible Mechatronic Issue - STOCK DSG B8 S4 w/ ADS

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

Was driving to work this morning when the 'TPMS' and 'Gearbox Malfunction' issue came on and car went into limp mode. I drove it for a few more miles, turned it off and turned it on again, and just got 'TPMS' issue this time. I haven't gone back down to my car again, so no idea if the lights will come on again or not.

The car has been doing the jerky gear shifting for awhile now and has been more noticeable recently.

Could it be any other issue than the Mechatronic? If so, what can I do to fix the other issues? If it IS a Mechatronic issue, what would make me choose to replace the entire Mechatronic vs. the repair kit vs. the transmission?

I'll be taking my car to my uncle's shop later on today to see if we can pull the codes to see what the issues are, and I will keep this thread updated with which codes I get.

Thanks

Senior Member Two Rings MATHMATIXX's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by acemac23 View Post
    Hey guys,

Was driving to work this morning when the 'TPMS' and 'Gearbox Malfunction' issue came on and car went into limp mode. I drove it for a few more miles, turned it off and turned it on again, and just got 'TPMS' issue this time. I haven't gone back down to my car again, so no idea if the lights will come on again or not.

The car has been doing the jerky gear shifting for awhile now and has been more noticeable recently.

Could it be any other issue than the Mechatronic? If so, what can I do to fix the other issues? If it IS a Mechatronic issue, what would make me choose to replace the entire Mechatronic vs. the repair kit vs. the transmission?

I'll be taking my car to my uncle's shop later on today to see if we can pull the codes to see what the issues are, and I will keep this thread updated with which codes I get.

Thanks
    Have you scanned through VCDS to see what comes up? Any chance tires were spinning prior?

I did the mech repair kit on my S4, unfortunately that didnít fix my problem, I ended up needing a new transmission because my gear position selector broke (covered under warranty).

I also only had gears 1-3-5-7, nothing else.
    2012 S4 DSG- EPL Stage 2 DP 104 Tune & EPL TCU Tune

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I would suggest scanning your car via VCDS and then cross-checking the fault codes against all of the other mechatronic failure threads. Or take it to a dealer / certified VAG shop.
    2014 S4 - APR Stage 2 - APR CPS - AWE Touring w/ Resonated Downpipes - APR Carbonio Stage 2 Intake - Alu Kreuz - H&R Front and Rear Sways - 034 Inserts - Focal KX165 + Audison Bit4.9 + Audison 4D - Xpel Front End Wrap - Modesta BC-04 Paint Coating - Rayno S9 Tint - R8 Oil Cap - Porsche 911 Coolant Cap - CR15 Strut Tower Brace - Q5 Brembo Brakes - Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines - P3 Gauge (w/ Track Pack)

My Seller Feedback Thread - http://bit.ly/2vD36PE

Established Member Two Rings davep411's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dang, sucks. Mine just threw "Gearbox Malfunction. Can continue to drive" Friday night on my way home. 79,931 miles. I have all gears and reverse (actually the car drives smoother than it ever has in this state LOL), but when in park I can feel the trans loading up. Similar to when you have in D but keep your foot on the brake in a normal auto if that make sense.
    Shop diagnosed it today and let me know that the "pressure control valve" is reporting bad. Apparently with the codes they pulled and the specific set of symptoms I have, Audi has a TSB regarding it. First step is to replace the mechatronics circuit board, quoted $1400. If that doesn't work, replace the entire Mechatronics unit, quoted $4000.
    What I am unsure of is if the ESC Mechatronics repair kit is applicable to first or second step (maybe neither) as it's possible the euro-indy shop it is at is not aware of the kit.
    I also just had my 2nd DSG service done about 8k miles ago.
    Mine is almost stock, 2012 Ibis, ECS intake, ChipWerke Pro (latest update) and CR-15.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003%20VW%20Jetta%201.8T

Quote Originally Posted by MATHMATIXX View Post
    Have you scanned through VCDS to see what comes up? Any chance tires were spinning prior?

I did the mech repair kit on my S4, unfortunately that didnít fix my problem, I ended up needing a new transmission because my gear position selector broke (covered under warranty).

Was it covered under a CPO or original factory 4yr,50k mile warranty? Just curious because I picked up a 2015 s4 with a CPO warranty and I asked if I could transfer my AWE touring exhaust, dealer told me if I did it would void my CPO...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2015 Mythos Black Pearl BO 6MT S4 P+ | 19" peelers | Nav | Carbon inlays | B&O | Sport Diff | Nappa
    Mods: 20% tint | EPL | OEM Audi Sport plate frame | HOEN fogs |ECS 10/12.5mm Spacers | Hardwired radar | ECS Trans insert | CTS intake | AWE Touring Exhaust - stock DPs | H&R OE Sports + Koni Shocks | Eurocode F&R Sway

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Legacy GT (Stage 2+ VF52) / 1996 Camaro Z28

My car had the same issue as OP = been 4K on the electronics only replacement with no issues - $1900 @ dealer. - so $1400 sounds reasonable

Having gone through it - a few thoughts:
    1 - Seems like a mixed bag on electronics replacement... enough complaints that it doesn't solve the issue to raise an eyebrow vs extra $3K for sure fire fix if you prefer...
    2 - According to my S/A the issue is actually de-lamination of the circuit boards from a bad chemical reaction to older fluid - so easy to believe the electronics and new fluid could solve the issue if that's the case with only a sensor code vs missing gears (mechanical?)
    3 - Many positive reviews that aftermarket DSG Tune seems to solve much of the odd issues/quirks that often are general complaints - so if your looking for smoother shifts....

Good Luck!
    2012 Moonlight Blue Metallic S4 | Premium + | DSG | 19" Peelers |Sports Diff | MMI w/Nav | B&O Audio | Advanced Key |
    After-Market Add-Ons: Rallitek Aluminum Paddles | USP LED Interior Lighting | Phillips Xtreme +50% Headlight Bulbs
    Performance Upgrades: Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors with Porterfield R4-S Pads | Tires = Michelin Pilot 4S (255/35/19)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MATHMATIXX View Post

We did scan it with the OBDII and we got the following code P17D400 - Shift Solenoid "A" Malfunction (couldn't find much about it online).

There was absolutely no wheel spin, I was driving at about 25 MPH and it randomly happened.

I didn't really even give it a chance to drive in limp mode. I pulled over as soon as I could and restarted it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Works2shoot View Post
    I would suggest scanning your car via VCDS and then cross-checking the fault codes against all of the other mechatronic failure threads. Or take it to a dealer / certified VAG shop.
    Scanned it with a Snap-On OBDII and got the following - P17D400 - Shift Solenoid "A" Malfunction (didn't find any helpful info online).

I hate taking my car to the dealership unless I have to.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by davep411 View Post
    Dang, sucks. Mine just threw "Gearbox Malfunction. Can continue to drive" Friday night on my way home. 79,931 miles. I have all gears and reverse (actually the car drives smoother than it ever has in this state LOL), but when in park I can feel the trans loading up. Similar to when you have in D but keep your foot on the brake in a normal auto if that make sense.
    Shop diagnosed it today and let me know that the "pressure control valve" is reporting bad. Apparently with the codes they pulled and the specific set of symptoms I have, Audi has a TSB regarding it. First step is to replace the mechatronics circuit board, quoted $1400. If that doesn't work, replace the entire Mechatronics unit, quoted $4000.
    What I am unsure of is if the ESC Mechatronics repair kit is applicable to first or second step (maybe neither) as it's possible the euro-indy shop it is at is not aware of the kit.
    I also just had my 2nd DSG service done about 8k miles ago.
    Mine is almost stock, 2012 Ibis, ECS intake, ChipWerke Pro (latest update) and CR-15.
    Do you know what specific codes you got?

Also, why don't you mention the repair kit to them, or tell them you'll provide it and just pay for labor/fluids/filters?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by grovlet View Post
    My car had the same issue as OP = been 4K on the electronics only replacement with no issues - $1900 @ dealer. - so $1400 sounds reasonable

Having gone through it - a few thoughts:
    1 - Seems like a mixed bag on electronics replacement... enough complaints that it doesn't solve the issue to raise an eyebrow vs extra $3K for sure fire fix if you prefer...
    2 - According to my S/A the issue is actually de-lamination of the circuit boards from a bad chemical reaction to older fluid - so easy to believe the electronics and new fluid could solve the issue if that's the case with only a sensor code vs missing gears (mechanical?)
    3 - Many positive reviews that aftermarket DSG Tune seems to solve much of the odd issues/quirks that often are general complaints - so if your looking for smoother shifts....

Good Luck!
    At this point, I'm just considering selling/trading in the car and upgrading. Being out of warranty, there will be more and more bills to come as each mile goes by.

From the consensus, everyone seems to be saying to try the repair kit first and see if that fixes the issue. I may have to go that route because I won't be paying for labor, part is about $380 and fluids/filters will be another $350-400, so $780 isn't terrible if it works (thats a big IF).

If it doesn't work, I'm going to have to grab a used transmission and just change it out myself, because seeing some of the quotes you guys are getting from the STEALERships, not gonna happen.

Any specific DSG Tune you recommend, or anyone else recommends that fixed their issue?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003%20VW%20Jetta%201.8T

At this point, I'm just considering selling/trading in the car and upgrading. Being out of warranty, there will be more and more bills to come as each mile goes by.

From the consensus, everyone seems to be saying to try the repair kit first and see if that fixes the issue. I may have to go that route because I won't be paying for labor, part is about $380 and fluids/filters will be another $350-400, so $780 isn't terrible if it works (thats a big IF).

If it doesn't work, I'm going to have to grab a used transmission and just change it out myself, because seeing some of the quotes you guys are getting from the STEALERships, not gonna happen.

Any specific DSG Tune you recommend, or anyone else recommends that fixed their issue?
    Op i was living in fear of going through all this (i have 2012 with 89k) and got to the point I couldn't truly enjoy the car as I was worrying to much about a dsg failure. I ended up trading it in to an audi dealer and picking up a 2015 6MT, picking it up this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2015 Mythos Black Pearl BO 6MT S4 P+ | 19" peelers | Nav | Carbon inlays | B&O | Sport Diff | Nappa
    Mods: 20% tint | EPL | OEM Audi Sport plate frame | HOEN fogs |ECS 10/12.5mm Spacers | Hardwired radar | ECS Trans insert | CTS intake | AWE Touring Exhaust - stock DPs | H&R OE Sports + Koni Shocks | Eurocode F&R Sway

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Legacy GT (Stage 2+ VF52) / 1996 Camaro Z28

Scanned it with a Snap-On OBDII and got the following - P17D400 - Shift Solenoid "A" Malfunction (didn't find any helpful info online).

I hate taking my car to the dealership unless I have to.
    Hmm - based on what I remember that doesn't sound like a sensor issue.... I would also mention that there are not many cars that have the balance of performance/luxury/comfort that the S4 delivers - and any cross shopping you do I bet you'll discover that they have something of big concern around them all....

IMHO - while it sounds like a big cost - to get into a car of this nature often requires some $$ to maintain. I don't say that to mean suck it up - but to point out a car upgrade may just swap one concern for another - or require a bigger outflow of $$ to get into a higher end car? To me it was the lowest cost to maintain it rather than swap cars... Worst Case it's $4k - Can you upgrade into a car with less issues/better peace of mind (that fits you goals and needs) for less than $4K? (Probably not?)

Also remember that the DSG seems to be the only large issue with the S4 - guys are beating on them with upgrades to over 450+ HP - and no major issues at the level - so stock it's an excellent long term candidate

It certainly is frustrating though - as you expect a car to run without issue from brands like Audi
    2012 Moonlight Blue Metallic S4 | Premium + | DSG | 19" Peelers |Sports Diff | MMI w/Nav | B&O Audio | Advanced Key |
    After-Market Add-Ons: Rallitek Aluminum Paddles | USP LED Interior Lighting | Phillips Xtreme +50% Headlight Bulbs
    Performance Upgrades: Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors with Porterfield R4-S Pads | Tires = Michelin Pilot 4S (255/35/19)

Senior Member Three Rings Jcam14's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Mercedez Benz C-350

I had the "Gearbox Malfunction" "TPMS" come up also about 3 months ago. I took the car immediately to Audi dealership, they had it for 2 weeks and told me they had never seen this issue before, but had determined it was a bad mechatronic unit that needs to be changed out. I was quoted a price of $5600.00 to do the work. I told them they could kick rocks, and obviously i dont just have that kind of money laying around. So i then called Audi of America to complain about this issue with these S4 models. They tell me that they didnt know its an issue and that all they could do is talk to the dealership and see if maybe they could provide some help with the cost. After about a week they call me and tell me that the local Audi dealership would discount the price by 15%..... I told them that was Bullshit and unacceptable. Its all bullshit that a 6 year old car with the claimed best DSG transmission out there is having these kind of issues. I have a 1996 Chevy S-10 that has the same transmission in it and its got 146,000 miles on it. WTF!! Audi should be recalling this and they know its a known issue with these mechatronic units, but yet they refuse to cover them.
    2012 S4/Monsoon Grey/Black Optics Package/Black Leather Interior/19' Rims/LED interior bulbs/SoloWerks Coilovers/roc-euro CAI/10mm spacers all 4

Veteran Member Four Rings Bruno_s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jcam14 View Post
    I had the "Gearbox Malfunction" "TPMS" come up also about 3 months ago. I took the car immediately to Audi dealership, they had it for 2 weeks and told me they had never seen this issue before, but had determined it was a bad mechatronic unit that needs to be changed out. I was quoted a price of $5600.00 to do the work. I told them they could kick rocks, and obviously i dont just have that kind of money laying around. So i then called Audi of America to complain about this issue with these S4 models. They tell me that they didnt know its an issue and that all they could do is talk to the dealership and see if maybe they could provide some help with the cost. After about a week they call me and tell me that the local Audi dealership would discount the price by 15%..... I told them that was Bullshit and unacceptable. Its all bullshit that a 6 year old car with the claimed best DSG transmission out there is having these kind of issues. I have a 1996 Chevy S-10 that has the same transmission in it and its got 146,000 miles on it. WTF!! Audi should be recalling this and they know its a known issue with these mechatronic units, but yet they refuse to cover them.
    There is a class action case forming in the US. I contacted them but once they saw I was from Toronto they told me they couldn't help.
    Search on audizine for the link... give it a try.
    2010 Sprint Blue S4 DSG | Sport Diff | GIAC Stg 2 + TCU | S4Matty ported charger/throttle body | PLM | AWE Touring + Resonated DP | ECS Kohlefaser | H&R Clubsport RSS | Renn Motorsports RS-51 19 x 8.5 | Super Sports | Stoptech ST60 BBK | Endless RF650 | 034 X-Brace | CR-15 | 034 Rear Bar | 034 Rear Diff Inserts | ENLAES Spoiler | Driving Passions Diffuser| RS4 Grill | STVBEK Front Lip | Clear Corners |Philips Ultinon 6000k | G6 6500k LED Fog | FBSW | JL Audio 10W6v2 | 500/1v2 | LC2i

Veteran Member Four Rings cspcrx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Tacoma, 2007 Harley Softail, 1986 Honda CRX

have to agree with some of the comments above that $4k in repairs is far less than what payments on a new are will cost you. $4k isn't doesn't even cover a years payments on these cars. Find an independent shop in your area that knows VAG cars and see what they would charge for it. Often they are also a lot better to work with when it comes to hunting down the solution to the problem. Dealers can charge you for a fix, then when it doesn't work they just want to charge you again.

Jcam14 there is a class action some layer is trying to pull together on this. I will warn you I looked at their release and they will gain far more than you will if they can even prove there is a class and what the damages are. Their fees are through the roof and they are a very long way away from having anything. There was a thread on it somewhere on here.

OP I hope you get it figured out. I have a 2012 and I get odd shifts every now and then, especially during the summer when its hotter out.
    2012 Ibis P+ / DSG / Silk Napa / B&O / Sport Diff. / ADS lite / MMI & Nav / APR Stage 2+ & TCU Tuned / Ultra Charger / 184mm KI LIL BITCH / ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake / AMS Alpha Cooler / ECS 2-Piece Rotors / Akebono Pads / VMR 803 19x9.5 ET45 265-35-19 PSS / ECS Drivetrain Bushing Inserts / CR-15

12.3 @ 112mph 2288DA on 93oct file Stage 2

THEN THEN THEN Rinse & Repeat!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cspcrx View Post
    have to agree with some of the comments above that $4k in repairs is far less than what payments on a new are will cost you. $4k isn't doesn't even cover a years payments on these cars. Find an independent shop in your area that knows VAG cars and see what they would charge for it. Often they are also a lot better to work with when it comes to hunting down the solution to the problem. Dealers can charge you for a fix, then when it doesn't work they just want to charge you again.

Jcam14 there is a class action some layer is trying to pull together on this. I will warn you I looked at their release and they will gain far more than you will if they can even prove there is a class and what the damages are. Their fees are through the roof and they are a very long way away from having anything. There was a thread on it somewhere on here.

OP I hope you get it figured out. I have a 2012 and I get odd shifts every now and then, especially during the summer when its hotter out.
    Class actions always disproportionately benefit the lawyers, unfortunately.

AZ Member #

Do you know what specific codes you got?

Also, why don't you mention the repair kit to them, or tell them you'll provide it and just pay for labor/fluids/filters?
    I did not have the specifics on the kit when i dropped the car off. I did mention it, and they sounded intrested to know what it entailed. I actually followed up with them this afternoon. They comfirmed its one of the many parts they will be getting and its only $60 less than their source. Unfortunatley they dont install customer supplied parts on jobs like this.

I dont have the codes yet, but will update when I do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings Corradobrit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by austerity View Post
    Class actions always disproportionately benefit the lawyers, unfortunately.
    Not really. The ones I've benefited from resulted in zero out of pocket expense (heater core in VW Corrado, Cam Follower on B7 A4, power adapter on Macbook Pro and 'Black Screen of Death", again Macbook Pro). So what if the lawyers make a bit of money on a manufacture defect. If companies stood up and admitted they have a problem then the Courts wouldn't have to deal with these Class Action lawsuits. The unfortunate aspect here is that the individual victim is unlikely to get justice. As a group, there is more chance of the companies being forced to accept liability.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

In 2013, a similar transmission-related class action lawsuit against Audi for A4 and A6 cars was settled to include cost recovery for affected owners.

Link: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...it-settlement/

The Audi CVT settlement will resolve a 2011 class action lawsuit (Sadowska v. Volkswagen Group of America) that alleges Audi knowingly sold these vehicles with defective transmissions and failed to honor warranty repairs on them.

Audi denies the allegations but has agreed to reimburse consumers for certain repairs and costs incurred from the allegedly defective CVT transmissions as part of a class action lawsuit settlement to resolve the litigation.

Class Members of the Audi CVT settlement include all U.S. purchasers and/or lessees of any 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 model year Audi A4 and Audi A6 vehicle originally equipped with a factory-installed CVT Transmission, imported and distributed by Volkswagen Group of America Inc. for sale or lease in the United States of America.

As a Class Member, youíre entitled to one of the following benefits if the class action lawsuit settlement is granted final approval at the September 23, 2013, Final Fairness Hearing:

(1) Cash Reimbursement: To the extent not previously reimbursed, a cash reimbursement will be available for the cost of a previously paid for repair or replacement of a qualifying CVT transmission part(s) which occurred within the earlier of 10 years or 100,000 miles from the date of the first original purchase or lease of the vehicle, whichever occurred first, and prior to June 19, 2013.

To receive a cash reimbursement, you must mail a Claim Form and required proof postmarked no later than November 18, 2013.

(2) Warranty Extension: Audiís New Vehicle Limited Warranty will be extended to cover repair or replacement, by an authorized Audi dealer, of a qualifying CVT transmission part(s) during a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles from the date of the first original purchase or lease of the Settlement Class Vehicle, whichever occurs first.

(3) Documented ďTrade-In Reimbursement CostsĒ: If you submit documented proof that prior to June 19, 2013 and within the above-referenced 10 year or 100,000 mile (whichever occurred first) period, you sold or traded-in a Settlement Class Vehicle because it had a malfunctioning CVT transmission, you can receive the difference between the amount of money you received from the trade-in and the ďtrade-in valueĒ of the vehicle.

AZ Member #

As promised direct from the work order:
    8029 - P197C - Main Pressure Valve Electrical Malfunction
    8069 - P197C - Main Pressure Valve Electrical Malfunction
    Inspected and found slight dampness around pan for
    transmission. Electrical connector on transmission is good
    and clean, no corrosion or fluid intrusion.
    Roadtested vehicle and confirmed client's complaint.
    Attempted to clear faults, they returned immediately.
    Researched TSBs from Audi and found TSB "Gearbox
    malfunction message in cluster" referencing P197C Code
    8029, recommending replacement of circuit board for
    mechatronics unit be replaced to resolve complaint. This
    cannot guarantee repair and next step is replacement of the
    mechatronics unit altogether.

Parts list - $1473 (incl. labor)
    16489 Oil Pipes with Seal 1
    16491 Oil Pipes with Seal 1
    16490 Oil Pipe 1
    16487 Circuit Board 1
    15714 Oil Pan Gasket 1
    3654 DSG Fluid 7
    16493 Drain Plug with Seal 1
    16488 Mechatronic Bolts 6
    16492 O Ring 1

AZ Member #

Just followowing up for anybody that may be interested. Got the car back. So far so good on the replacement kit. I should find out rather quick if it will hold as i commute 66 miles a day.

Veteran Member Four Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks for your follow-up. $1473 hurts, but better than $4K+. Hope that's the end of your DSG woes.
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LYKUNO View Post
    Thanks for your follow-up. $1473 hurts, but better than $4K+. Hope that's the end of your DSG woes.
    + it include a dsg flush which couldve run you for 300-400$ if ou were somewhat due for it.
    S4 B8.5 no track, just enjoying spirited driving.

Established Member Two Rings TheDailyS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iím starting to feel as if my dsg is slowly letting me go.. I have 50k miles and my dsg feels very flimsy.. having it taken into shop within the next few weeks to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by waxxonMTL View Post
    + it include a dsg flush which couldve run you for 300-400$ if ou were somewhat due for it.
    Had it done <6k ago... oh well.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LYKUNO View Post
    Agreed. I do have to admit it is better than it ever was.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheDailyS5 View Post
    Iím starting to feel as if my dsg is slowly letting me go.. I have 50k miles and my dsg feels very flimsy.. having it taken into shop within the next few weeks to check it out

If you are 50k or just under, get it in now before warranty goes out!

AZ Member #

OP, any update on your situation?

Established Member Two Rings TheDailyS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by davep411 View Post
    If you are 50k or just under, get it in now before warranty goes out!

My warranty is already up on the car. Itís a 2013