Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Mustang GT Performance Package, 1983 Chevy Silverado

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by q_dubz View Post
    A stock performance pack isn't trapping that high lol. It's just tires, brakes, and a gear.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang...the-money.html
    Far more than tires, brakes, and gears.. different sway bars front and rear, different front springs, different shocks and struts, 30% stiffer chassis due to additional braces, larger radiator, different traction control and ABS logic, Torsen LSD, additional gauges, front brake ducts, heat extractors, more aggressive and functional aero (including a rear spoiler delete), different wheels, different suspension bushings, different alignment spec etc. etc.

Itís a very capable car on a road course..

You are correct however, the trap speeds are a touch lower than I initally posted, however they are much quicker than the Edmunds review..

More like 112-115mph bone stock.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16739
    Last edited by texasboy21; 05-21-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings ZimbutheMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So, a bit off topic, but I thought I'd post it up just because I can I finally got a chance to try my hand at tuning an RS4. My buddy (J) who owns the shop was confident in my knowledge on the subject matter, but he really wasn't that sure just how much of a difference it wold make.

Well, around 10-15 hours work, 80 different maps changed (including the entire cam phasing structure, ignition maps driver lambda requests, throttle delay elimination, throttle restriction elimination, torque structure maps, pedal maps, etc... ). I flash it. I let him take it for a test rip as he has been driving it for about 2 1/2 weeks now and I wait with baited breath until he gets back.....

Well, as he ripped up to the shop, I breathed a sigh of relief at his shit eating mile wide grin, and he just stops dead and says "night and day.... fucking night and day difference dude..."

So there 'ya have it, RS4 owners, there are huge gains to be had with ECU tunes on these cars. Having driven that car before and after my tuning, J and I both agree that the stock ECU tuning on the RS4 is absolute GARBAGE... Just sayin...

To wit, look at the max allowable throttle opening in 1-3 gear up to 5500 RPM..., Nuff said
    rs4 stock throttle restriction by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr

20180518_191234 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr
    Last edited by ZimbutheMonkey; 06-02-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    This B6/B7 S4 forum is brought to you by the refreshing taste of Kool-Aid... OH YEAH!!!!!

My car has a real tune. Tuned by me. Just because your not smart enough to tune you own car don't ruin a thread.

Established Member Two Rings dammad's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda X11 150bhp at tyre, 09 Scorpa 250 Trials bike, Fantic 125 Trials bike, Mini Moto pit bike

Quote Originally Posted by ZimbutheMonkey View Post
    So, a bit off topic, but I thought I'd post it up just because I can I finally got a chance to try my hand at tuning an RS4. My buddy (J) who owns the shop was confident in my knowledge on the subject matter, but he really wasn't that sure just how much of a difference it wold make.

Well, around 10-15 hours work, 80 different maps changed (including the entire cam phasing structure, ignition maps driver lambda requests, throttle delay elimination, throttle restriction elimination, torque structure maps, pedal maps, etc... ). I flash it. I let him take it for a test rip as he has been driving it for about 2 1/2 weeks now and I wait with baited breath until he gets back.....

Well, as he ripped up to the shop, I breathed a sigh of relief at his shit eating mile wide grin, and he just stops dead and says "night and day.... fucking night and day difference dude..."

So there 'ya have it, RS4 owners, there are huge gains to be had with ECU tunes on these cars. Having driven that car before and after my tuning, J and I both agree that the stock ECU tuning on the RS4 is absolute GARBAGE... Just sayin...

20180518_191234 by zimbu themonkey, on Flickr
    That's right, I think that's the problem that will cause a number issues.
    Yes, W/M is something I've been looking at but that is only cooling while it's flowing, the blower is heating while it's compressing at any speed
    Question, has he removed the cast iron lump from the boot of the Cabriolet?

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dammad View Post
    That's right, I think that's the problem that will cause a number issues.
    Yes, W/M is something I've been looking at but that is only cooling while it's flowing, the blower is heating while it's compressing at any speed
    Question, has he removed the cast iron lump from the boot of the Cabriolet?

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk
    Based on other's logs, the RS4 seems insanely sensitive to under hood temperature and timing pull at the slightest provocation. Notwithstanding the carbon issue, I think water/meth would help ANY RS4 immensely.
    This B6/B7 S4 forum is brought to you by the refreshing taste of Kool-Aid... OH YEAH!!!!!

My car has a real tune. Tuned by me. Just because your not smart enough to tune you own car don't ruin a thread.

Established Member Three Rings JorisRS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

You have 10+ hrs in the tune for the rs4. I hope you had at least a few more minutes to race it against the s4. Results?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda X11 150bhp at tyre, 09 Scorpa 250 Trials bike, Fantic 125 Trials bike, Mini Moto pit bike

You do know that there is a lump of cast iron in the boot of the Audi Cabriolet?
    Based on other's logs, the RS4 seems insanely sensitive to under hood temperature and timing pull at the slightest provocation. Notwithstanding the carbon issue, I think water/meth would help ANY RS4 immensely.
    Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

You do know that there is a lump of cast iron in the boot of the Audi Cabriolet?

No, he actively ignores any mention of the cab being 400lb heavier than a sedan.
    Go figure, that verdict would sadly throw off all them scientific measurements and "killer" comparisons.
    Jeremy Clarkson: "So when you were saying that it wonít slide, what you meant was, ĎI canít slide it.íď
    James May: "Yes."

AZ Member #

Well, I FINALLY got around to replacing the stock last half of the exhaust with the Rs4 mid-pipe to muffler section complete with stock resonators and magnaflows in place of the RS4 mufflers.

Impresions are twofold:

1) the car is QUIETER, WAAAY quieter. I expected the exhaust note might drop, but it would still remain fairly loud. The dual X pipe does a GREAT job of keeping all the engine noises blended and muted. But it almost sounds like a slightly angrier version of the stock exhaust. But the good news, NO drone, AT ALL, that I've seen.

2) The car does feel like it's picked up some more power, tq especially. Pull to redline still feels perfectly linear, just with more urge to it.

So I'll post of me video here in a bit and you guys can tell me what you think of the new sound,

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well, I FINALLY got around to replacing the stock last half of the exhaust with the Rs4 mid-pipe to muffler section complete with stock resonators and magnaflows in place of the RS4 mufflers.

Impresions are twofold:

1) the car is QUIETER, WAAAY quieter. I expected the exhaust note might drop, but it would still remain fairly loud. The dual X pipe does a GREAT job of keeping all the engine noises blended and muted. But it almost sounds like a slightly angrier version of the stock exhaust. But the good news, NO drone, AT ALL, that I've seen.

2) The car does feel like it's picked up some more power, tq especially. Pull to redline still feels perfectly linear, just with more urge to it.

So I'll post of me video here in a bit and you guys can tell me what you think of the new sound,
    Nice one

AZ Member #

Nice one

Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out if it's actually any faster or if it's just a case of the placebo effect.

I did some logging and I don't see any higher MAF readings. What I do notice is that I THINK it's holding timing better. However I need to confirm with some better logs ( ME7 logger vs VCDS).

Where I'm going with that is that is one of the first things I noticed with the new intake manifold is that I was getting a ton of timing pull over 6000 RPM on the stock exhaust. That suggested to me that I may have been getting a lot of residual exhaust gas contamination at high RPM with the stock exhaust rear portion, particularly during periods of high overlap. However, there is also the alternative explanation that it may have had to do with the timing tables as the ECU switches to a different map when the manifold switches states and I was switching over at 6000 RPM. My measured load was also right on 80% around that area so it may have actually been increasing the timing request as the timing increases as load decreases.

That said, it does at least suggest that my original position that the stock rear exhaust minus the mufflers may not have been posing that much of a restriction.

I'll also recap my hypothesis; it's because by the time the exhaust has gone through the first 6 feet of the exhaust, it's done most of it's useful work and cooled to the point that a straight 2 inch pipe really wasn't a restriction until I opened up that last part of the intake manifold.

Veteran Member Four Rings q_dubz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out if it's actually any faster or if it's just a case of the placebo effect.
    So order a DRAGY.

AZ Member #

So order a DRAGY.

Unfortunately , with the way my life is at the moment, I don't have the funds and energy to both modify my car and break it at drag strip.

With a stock clutch and LW flywheel, I have NO confidence that a 4000 lb AWD V8 car with sticky tires can survive the stresses of drag racing. Hell, even guys who have the funds to equip their cars with drag racing grade clutches and experience launching them still rack up heinous amounts of damage. just look though JimmyBone's build thread on AR, it's like 8-9 pages of constantly broken stuff.

I'll say it for the umpteenth millionth time: the 1/4 mile is NOT!!!!!!! I repeat NOT!!!!!! a flawless measure of a car's performance. Drop launching 4000 lb AWD cars is a BONEHEADED way to measure performance. There are a massive number of confounds (heat soak, driver skill, elevation, etc....) that can influence the outcome of a 1/4 mile race and as far as I'm concerned all you do in the end is break shit.

If someone wants to race me, I'm happy to oblige from a roll where I won't burn out my clutch, snap my driveshafts and twist my mounts. But I can choose to put my time into either 1) making my car go faster or 2) fixing it after trying to prove it to the world.

Let me tell 'ya buddy, that I'm ALWAYS gonna choose option 1...

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Say hello to... project RS4KILLER.... (w many pics 😊

The good news is, Dragy is a drag strip alternative. Additionally, it doesnít measure just your 1/4 mile performance. As far as Jimmy, he only started breaking axles once he was supercharged and had both the front and rear LSDs installed in his car. My tune has launch control and itís more like 3000rpms. Have you considered adding launch control to your tune? Iíve never broken anything launching my car 100+ times while I was NA. If youíre worried about it, time your 0-60 without launching the car. Whatís nice is, it breaks down your acceleration through 60. So even if your 0-10 sucks, we can still see how it performs 10-60, which should be more than enough to gauge your performance gains/losses.

Last edited by mtwallace85; 06-13-2018 at 07:33 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

Unfortunately , with the way my life is at the moment, I don't have the funds and energy to both modify my car and break it at drag strip.

With a stock clutch and LW flywheel, I have NO confidence that a 4000 lb AWD V8 car with sticky tires can survive the stresses of drag racing. Hell, even guys who have the funds to equip their cars with drag racing grade clutches and experience launching them still rack up heinous amounts of damage. just look though JimmyBone's build thread on AR, it's like 8-9 pages of constantly broken stuff.

I'll say it for the umpteenth millionth time: the 1/4 mile is NOT!!!!!!! I repeat NOT!!!!!! a flawless measure of a car's performance. Drop launching 4000 lb AWD cars is a BONEHEADED way to measure performance. There are a massive number of confounds (heat soak, driver skill, elevation, etc....) that can influence the outcome of a 1/4 mile race and as far as I'm concerned all you do in the end is break shit.

If someone wants to race me, I'm happy to oblige from a roll where I won't burn out my clutch, snap my driveshafts and twist my mounts. But I can choose to put my time into either 1) making my car go faster or 2) fixing it after trying to prove it to the world.

Ok it does whatever speed to whatever speed you want as well. Like 50-100 or 60-130

Or 31 to 67...

You get the idea.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

Ok it does whatever speed to whatever speed you want as well. Like 50-100 or 60-130

Or 31 to 67...

You get the idea.
    I've been working with Dragy and when they get a new Android developer they will be sending an update with 60-90 for us.

AZ Member #

To say it simply. You only wish to "race" in a given set of rules that you make-up in your head.

How about a roll from 170-190mph vs a stock RS4 (electronic limiter removed)?
    Jeremy Clarkson: "So when you were saying that it wonít slide, what you meant was, ĎI canít slide it.íď

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    I've been working with Dragy and when they get a new Android developer they will be sending an update with 60-90 for us.
    is there an issue with 60-90? i just set it up as custom...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

is there an issue with 60-90? i just set it up as custom...
    It will be an official parameter with leader-board etc..

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    It will be an official parameter with leader-board etc..
    oh oh oh, ok.

I want them to get the damn video working!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

oh oh oh, ok.

Speaking of which, how does the video work? I know itís only an iOS thing, for now at least. Does your phone record the video or does it connect to a camera? My Dragy is scheduled for delivery next Monday. Looking forward to playing with it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

oh oh oh, ok.

Their Android developer resigned a couple months ago, so that is the hurdle they are getting over right now lol

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by mtwallace85 View Post
    Speaking of which, how does the video work? I know itís only an iOS thing, for now at least. Does your phone record the video or does it connect to a camera? My Dragy is scheduled for delivery next Monday. Looking forward to playing with it.
    it's part of the app, it uses your phone camera.

PS DO NOT CHARGE THE GPS RECEIVER WITH A WALL OUTLET. IT ONLY TAKES 500mA...so you to use your computer usb port. Charges fast. Last forever.

Veteran Member Four Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

Quote Originally Posted by ven0m View Post
    How about a roll from 170-190mph vs a stock RS4 (electronic limiter removed)?
    That made me lol.

PS DO NOT CHARGE THE GPS RECEIVER WITH A WALL OUTLET. IT ONLY TAKES 500mA...so you to use your computer usb port. Charges fast. Last forever.
    huh? Isn't that what the USB/120V adaptor that you plug into the wall outlet is for?
    JHM Tune ~ JHM Version 2 Headers ~ FI/JHM 2.5" Exhaust ~ Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers ~ BBS CH

AZ Member #

Q ... the electrical consumer (gps-module) determines the current-pull (measured in Amps), not the source (charger). You can use a 15A charger if you wish, it will only pull ~300mA as much as the gps-battery requires. Just an FYI.

ps: if you ever experienced something burn it was either a defect on the consumer or a short on the secondary of the supply side; has nothing to do with max-amperage classification.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ven0m View Post
    Q ... the electrical consumer (gps-module) determines the current-pull (measured in Amps), not the source (charger). You can use a 15A charger if you wish, it will only pull ~300mA as much as the gps-battery requires. Just an FYI.

ps: if you ever experienced something burn it was either a defect on the consumer or a short on the secondary of the supply side; has nothing to do with max-amperage classification.
    oh... I thought they highlighted it in red as a warning...

IMG_20180614_063849.jpg

Learn something new everyday.

AZ Member #

The good news is, Dragy is a drag strip alternative. Additionally, it doesnít measure just your 1/4 mile performance. As far as Jimmy, he only started breaking axles once he was supercharged and had both the front and rear LSDs installed in his car. My tune has launch control and itís more like 3000rpms. Have you considered adding launch control to your tune? Iíve never broken anything launching my car 100+ times while I was NA. If youíre worried about it, time your 0-60 without launching the car. Whatís nice is, it breaks down your acceleration through 60. So even if your 0-10 sucks, we can still see how it performs 10-60, which should be more than enough to gauge your performance gains/losses.

Excellent information man, thanks

Funds are ultra tight now, but when I do get some cash, I'm certainly buying one of these.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Q5 Quattro, S-Line, Black Edition, 2.0 TFSI

Been lurking on this forum for awhile, donít really contribute. Have a B6 here in the UK with JHM tune, catless Milltek downpipes and just replaced Milltek catback with FI catback from JHM in the past month. Very pleased with the FI, a bit drony but car just breathes so much better than 2.25 Milltek. That said seriously considering getting the JHM blower kit.

MT that leads me to my question: how accurate do you think dragy is? Are you really sub 3 seconds 0-60 with blower and other JHM bolt ons? I get on the autobahn once or twice a year and the numbers you posted make my decision a bit for me as I would love to surprise a few cars next time. Last time I was on it an E55 left me for dead to 160 mph.

Zimbu sorry to go off piste on your thread. To be honest I really like all the great threads and info you share. Read them with interest. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Single Turbo V8 S4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by markham View Post
    Been lurking on this forum for awhile, donít really contribute. Have a B6 here in the UK with JHM tune, catless Milltek downpipes and just replaced Milltek catback with FI catback from JHM in the past month. Very pleased with the FI, a bit drony but car just breathes so much better than 2.25 Milltek. That said seriously considering getting the JHM blower kit.

MT that leads me to my question: how accurate do you think dragy is? Are you really sub 3 seconds 0-60 with blower and other JHM bolt ons? I get on the autobahn once or twice a year and the numbers you posted make my decision a bit for me as I would love to surprise a few cars next time. Last time I was on it an E55 left me for dead to 160 mph.

Zimbu sorry to go off piste on your thread. To be honest I really like all the great threads and info you share. Read them with interest. Thanks.

That 0-60 is an rs7 or Porsche or McLaren lol

Dragy is EXTREMELY accurate. Look up YouTube videos of track videos.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sorry, that is not actually my 0-60. I donít even have my Dragy yet, but you can download the app and checkout the leaderboard. That was meant to just show Zimbu how it breaks the time down. Here is the screen without the cropping.

Canít wait to get my hands on an RS3 or TTRS next year.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That 0-60 is an rs7 or Porsche or McLaren lol

Dragy is EXTREMELY accurate. Look up YouTube videos of track videos.
    That is why I had to ask lol; would be happy to be low 4s ó high 3s would be brilliant

Thanks for that Dragy may be my next purchase. Will look up some videos. Cheers

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Sorry, that is not actually my 0-60. I donít even have my Dragy yet, but you can download the app and checkout the leaderboard. That was meant to just show Zimbu how it breaks the time down. Here is the screen without the cropping.

No worries, thanks for clarifying.
    Saw your numbers and was astounded thought even if itís a second slower I may need to take out the credit card and place order tonight lol

Good luck on the upgrade when the time comes. It is always tough decision as I can probably get in a newer platform now but have a strong feeling will really miss the 15 year old grumpy B6.

But is it worth spending the money to go forced induction now on the B6 ? always my dilemma

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have a slightly used JHM LW flywheel if your interested?
    That is why I had to ask lol; would be happy to be low 4s ó high 3s would be brilliant

Thanks for that Dragy may be my next purchase. Will look up some videos. Cheers

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have a slightly used JHM LW flywheel if your interested?

More interested in your rs4 converted headers ;) but to be honest car has 52k miles so hoping motor doesnít need to come out for timing any time soon and have other things on list of wants.

- JHM SS
    - JHM blower
    - various mounts
    - 034 rear SB
    - race clutch if I SC

Will enjoy braking FI catback for awhile until I need to spend some money on her and start crossing things off said list ;)

Anyway, back on topic: Zimbu have you had a chance to race your mateís Rs4 Cabrio ?

There are a few B7 rs4 around here but never had the chance to have a go unfortunately

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

No worries, thanks for clarifying.
    Saw your numbers and was astounded thought even if itís a second slower I may need to take out the credit card and place order tonight lol

Good luck on the upgrade when the time comes. It is always tough decision as I can probably get in a newer platform now but have a strong feeling will really miss the 15 year old grumpy B6.

But is it worth spending the money to go forced induction now on the B6 ? always my dilemma

I wonít be getting rid of my B6, so that should make the upgrade pretty easy. As far as 0-60 time, Iím looking forward to finding out. Iíve got 18x9 wheels that weigh 17lbs with 265 tires and the JHM lightweight rotors front and back so 4 seconds is no problem. Perfect 1-2 2-3 shifts would be mid to high 3 seconds is my guess. I want to play with the launch rpm and ramp up when I get it tuned again here shortly.

Is it worth it?
    How much do you love the car? Are you set on a manual V8? My issues with this platform is the fact that youíre pretty limited, in my opinion, without going built motor. But that also depends on your goals. I want my car deep into the 10s, and at a certain point, Iíll be limited by the blower instead of my engine. My other issue is, itís a 14 year old car now, and though it is in great shape considering itís age, it definitely shows it as little things here and there like to stop working. So for me, Iím at the point where Iím done dumping money into it unless itís going to help me go faster. I have a pretty short remaining mod list that consists of: custom intercooler chiller, 2.75Ē/3Ē exhaust, and possibly a bigger blower. Do I love my car? Yes. But if I could take a pile of cash, even half of what I put into the car, would I? Probably. But thatís also because Iím at a different point in my life than I was when I started this project. Back then I was living the single life doing whatever I want. Now, Iím furnishing a house planning a wedding and a family soon afterwards.

Senior Member Four Rings Terry.Reese's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo V6

Is that George's or Stavros's??
    Clarice

JHM intake spacers, DIY intake flapper mod, ported TB, heat wrap IM, 034 motor mounts, 15mm wheel spacers, ZimbuCAI, ZimbuTune, A8 D2 exhaust manifolds.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Reese View Post
    Is that George's or Stavros's??
    Pretty sure thatís Georgeís car.

Senior Member Four Rings Terry.Reese's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo V6

Pretty sure thatís Georgeís car.
    yeah, i had my app open for that couldn't see the small grey writing, I can now that i saw it on a PC.. lol
    Clarice

JHM intake spacers, DIY intake flapper mod, ported TB, heat wrap IM, 034 motor mounts, 15mm wheel spacers, ZimbuCAI, ZimbuTune, A8 D2 exhaust manifolds.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910