Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Veteran Member Four Rings A1 A2 German's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B5, Audi Fox, Audi AMLS TT, GS450, CB175, CL175
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    You can bend the prongs underneath.

Or, run to Autozone and try looking for a thicker ring gasket.
    Having a bucket that runs 10's is like saying you have a 200lb girlfriend but she's good in bed.

Senior Member Four Rings Mattr567's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A1 A2 German View Post
    You can bend the prongs underneath.

Or, run to Autozone and try looking for a thicker ring gasket.
    After some messing with the prongs, it is much tighter!

Glad that was an easy fix with no fires

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Audizine mobile app
    The most base A4 in the world

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91 | Forge | APR Catback | Valeo SMF | Bilstein B8 | Eibach | Neuspeed RSB | B5 S4 TRE's | 034 Snub | OEM Strut Bar | Ebay SS w/ Pushdown Delete | 2.0T Coils
    BBS | Podi | DDM HID | OEM RS4 Grille | Euro Mirrors | Facelift stuff | Sport Cloths | Euro Trunk | Valeo E Code

Veteran Member Four Rings offroader1006's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    77 International Scout II, 98 XK8, Tahoe, XC90
    Items for Sale

Don't forget to seal your injector cups into the intake manifold.

I found out why, now my powder-coated intake has gold stains.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by offroader1006 View Post
    Don't forget to seal your injector cups into the intake manifold.

I found out why, now my powder-coated intake has gold stains.
    I put new cups in with Teflon tape, should be good?

It's polished not powder coated.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91 | Forge | APR Catback | Valeo SMF | Bilstein B8 | Eibach | Neuspeed RSB | B5 S4 TRE's | 034 Snub | OEM Strut Bar | Ebay SS w/ Pushdown Delete | 2.0T Coils
    BBS | Podi | DDM HID | OEM RS4 Grille | Euro Mirrors | Facelift stuff | Sport Cloths | Euro Trunk | Valeo E Code

Veteran Member Three Rings kwnk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    92 FZR600, '76 280z

Matt's Fwd Build Thread

Great work Matt! Just got caught up with your thread. Awesome stuff! I had the same issue with the oil cap not keeping a tight seal. Did the same thing and replaced the flat oring.

You could tuck the coil adapter wires around the cp so you could use the cover

kwnk
    2001 1.8T ST Coilovers | 710N | Apikol snub mount
    1999 1.8TQM Avant | H&R Coilovers | 034 1bar tune | 16" URS4 Fuchs | Forge 008 | Borla

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kwnk View Post
    Great work Matt! Just got caught up with your thread. Awesome stuff! I had the same issue with the oil cap not keeping a tight seal. Did the same thing and replaced the flat oring.

You could tuck the coil adapter wires around the cp so you could use the cover

Nah, I want to show my stuff

Picked up a new rear center console section that is absolutely mint, swapped everything over and it's so much better. No cracks or rattles!

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Today was the day of tiny things

Fixed the mirror switch, the last person in here forgot to plug it back in lol! That was an easy fix.

Repolished the coilpack adapters after everything got drenched in oil and cleaner. Needs that manifold so badly

Repaired 3rd brake light cover so it stays on.

Fixed the passenger side seat cover thing, it broke at the bottom so it hung loose.

More updates to come

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

My Laminx order came in and I tinted my reverse strip. Love it. Mk4 GTI OEM+ style.

Before:

Application:

After. I took pics in front of my elementary school since graduation is in 10 days so I was curious. Nothing has changed!!!

The tint always appears darker in pictures than it is irl. I didn't want it too dark since that looks out of place.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

With High School over more progress can be made! Over the weekend I swapped my new intake manifold and holy shit is it amazing to look at.

Finished pics first

It actually wasn't that hard to do.

Manifold out!

Gasket came off in one piece :)

Mhmm clean

That comparasion

Next is BBK among other things

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Senior Member Three Rings PringlesInVic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '94 Cummins Ram, 2007 City Jetta

That turned out REALLY well.
    '98.5 A4 1.8TQM - Aluminum Silver Metalic

REVO Stage 1 - CTS Test Pipe - Milltek Exhaust - ST Coilovers - Hyperboost DV - ECS Snub - TFSI Coils/ICM Delete - eBay SS - Valeo SFW - DEPO Ecodes - VW 18" Bristols - OEM RS4 Grille - Alpine/Hertz Stereo - PODI Mech. Boost Gauge + POD

Build Thread HERE

Established Member Three Rings Joe Jr.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

nice Matt! you're car is clean...
    2000 Avant A4 1.8TQA
    2001 A4 1.8TQM
    2002 VW TDI 5spd

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PringlesInVic View Post
    That turned out REALLY well.
    Scene points up 10,000

Another thing I noticed is the car pulls a good bit harder and has a lot less laziness / is more responsive after doing this. I replaced the injector cups and injector seals with new OEM stuff plus the manifold gasket (duh)

My vac at idle was around 20 which is correct but now it sits around 23 to 25! I want to look at my fuel trims now in VAG to see how good they are 20 years of small vacuum leaks gone. Lol everyone should do it, made more HP than 2.0T coils did

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Threw on some new tires today. Old ones were 235/45 Dunlop Dirreza DZ101, getting old and worn (6 years!) New ones are a 225/45 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, which is really just a Bridgestone in disguise. Fantastic tire for an amazing price, right in about $300 for the set.

Having the proper sized tires improved looks a lot too, the 235s were too big and balloon-y for the application.

Before:

After:

Ordering 10mm spacers, need them BADLY

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Major fail today

Heh, TIL that normal hubcentric spacers WILL NOT fit on the rear hub of a FWD B5.

So I'm screwed for now. My options seem to be A non-hubcentric spacer, B machine the lip down on a lathe, or C (maybe) these BFI OEM wheel spacers that doesn't seem to have this lip. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they know.

https://store.blackforestindustries....i10whsp5x.html

Also the ebay spacers I got from the recommendation of Pringle werent bad quality either, but include conical not OEM ball seat lugs so watch out. These will not work if your trying to space out an OEM Audi/VW wheel like me.

Heres the front though, ET33 with the 10mm's.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Established Member Two Rings wangerang's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iíve heard the Indyís are pretty good. How have they held up for you so far?
    1997 A4 1.8TM
    Unitronic Stage 1+ | B&G Lowering Springs | Bilstein TCs | 2.0TSI Coils | ICM Delete |

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wangerang View Post
    Iíve heard the Indyís are pretty good. How have they held up for you so far?
    Love em, can't beat the price either. A lot more grip with an improved look as well. I can no longer spin my front wheels in the dry

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I haven't found any spacers that fit the rear hub's on the FWD. I'm running the old A6/100 rear hub's on mine that allow a separate disc to be used. I've used TTs 310mm x 22mm disc's for the correct offset so had the hub machined down from 68mm to 65mm and while on the lathe had the outer section machined to match the hubcentric spacers.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Creechy View Post
    I haven't found any spacers that fit the rear hub's on the FWD. I'm running the old A6/100 rear hub's on mine that allow a separate disc to be used. I've used TTs 310mm x 22mm disc's for the correct offset so had the hub machined down from 68mm to 65mm and while on the lathe had the outer section machined to match the hubcentric spacers.
    Thanks for the info.

Could you go into more detail on how you converted to the A6/100 rear hubs?! I remember a vague thread on it once but not much came of it iirc. Thats really REALLY cool since it allows rear brake upgrade on fwd's.

A nice DIY would be a huge advancement for fwd people like me

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #
    My Garage

This sucks dude, sorry it didn't work out the way you planned. I never thought about the bolts, as my VW wheels have ball seats.

A small bright side though, the FRONTS look Great!

Any A6/100's in your favourite yard?

REVO Stage 1 - CTS Test Pipe - Milltek Exhaust - ST Coilovers - Hyperboost DV - ECS Snub - TFSI Coils/ICM Delete - eBay SS - Valeo SFW - DEPO Ecodes - VW 18" Bristols - OEM RS4 Grille - Alpine/Hertz Stereo - PODI Mech. Boost Gauge + POD

Build Thread HERE

AZ Member #

This sucks dude, sorry it didn't work out the way you planned. I never thought about the bolts, as my VW wheels have ball seats.

A small bright side though, the FRONTS look Great!

Any A6/100's in your favourite yard?
    Ya, just need to get some new ones. BFI most likely.

You mean Conical? I needed ball seat and the kit included Conical for aftermarket applications.

There's actually a 1993 Audi 100 fwd!! Not sure what I would need to get off it though

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You got link?

These ones even specify Ball Seat lugs. I would contact the seller to confirm, they were really good to deal with when I had a warranty issue. They may send you the right ones for free.

Build Thread HERE

AZ Member #

You got link?

These ones even specify Ball Seat lugs. I would contact the seller to confirm, they were really good to deal with when I had a warranty issue. They may send you the right ones for free.
    This is the link you gave me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Se...vtn&rmvSB=true

I was just going to return them and try out the BFI ones.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The A6/100 rear hubs fit exactly the same as our disc/hub combo using the same part number bearings. The standard S4 facelift rear disc and caliper will fit with a 10 to 12mm thick spacer between the carrier and mountings. This will work well with the 312mm front upgrade.
    If you wanted to go bigger with the front brake size you could upgrade the rear's using RS4 rear carriers with the facelift S4 calipers and possibly VW phaeton/Passat 310mm x 22mm Disc's. The carrier would need spacing out 16 to 18mm as the hat is shallower.
    Hub part number is 4A0501653C.

AZ Member #

The A6/100 rear hubs fit exactly the same as our disc/hub combo using the same part number bearings. The standard S4 facelift rear disc and caliper will fit with a 10 to 12mm thick spacer between the carrier and mountings. This will work well with the 312mm front upgrade.
    If you wanted to go bigger with the front brake size you could upgrade the rear's using RS4 rear carriers with the facelift S4 calipers and possibly VW phaeton/Passat 310mm x 22mm Disc's. The carrier would need spacing out 16 to 18mm as the hat is shallower.
    Hub part number is 4A0501653C.
    Thanks for the info. I already have a BBK for the front laying around, a 323mm AP Racing 4 piston kit but was going to leave the rears stock.

Any pics by chance?

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

Well I nabbed them, 40% off too! Never seen an Audi 100 in the yard before, so I feel lucky my closest yard just happened to have exactly what I needed.

Pretty clean for 174,259 miles, someone took really good care of it right until the end. Rip :/

Also interesting to note that fwd B5 and fwd 100/A6 share the same rotor size and pads, so really I could do the conversion with all the benefits of a seperate rotor without a spacer, but S4 brakes sound interesting

All I need know is some info on the spacer if I choose to go with bigger brakes, and this will be a very nice and easy upgrade. Idk why Audi switched from 100/A6 style to B5 style, I think it may have been a cost-cutting measure

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Veteran Member Four Rings Turbo_B5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    abunch of useless shit
    Items for Sale

alot vws/audis use the same pads even up to new ones. why redesign it right. our rear pads fit a 1985-2017 jetta and much more.
    EH F0UR 2001 A4 1.8TqM
    = 034 | ECS | AWE | SOUTHBEND
    = ST | MEYLEHD | FCPEURO | AKMOTORSPORT | JHM
    2001 A4 1.8TqM
    = K04 | 034 | STERN | FORGE | TREADSTONE | S4RSB
    = HERTZ | JVC | ALPINE
    2002 Golf TDI
    = VNT-17 | 11mm IP | 216s | COLTCAM | SOUTHBEND
    1997 A4 1.8TqM SPORT
    @Turbo_B5

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The spacer on the caliper carrier mount will depend on which disc you use. The original 100/A6 disc's will bolt straight on and line up with your standard calipers but if you change to the S4 rear setup the disc's are shallower so the carrier/caliper needs to be spaced out from the mounts.
    I've machined my hub's to suit the TTs disc's as they are 58mm in height compared to the S4's which are 48mm. I've got an M10 x 1.5mm washer between the carrier and mount just to get the disc central in the carrier but for the S4 disc's you'd need 10 to 12mm thick. If you go the S4 route you could stack M10 washers between the carrier and mount to get the correct thickness then get some solid spacers made to suit. You'll also need longer mounting bolts, standard are M10 x 1.25 x 20mm so probably M10 x 1.25 x 30.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Fitting a new starter motor Friday so I'll post some pic's of my rear setup.

AZ Member #

The spacer on the caliper carrier mount will depend on which disc you use. The original 100/A6 disc's will bolt straight on and line up with your standard calipers but if you change to the S4 rear setup the disc's are shallower so the carrier/caliper needs to be spaced out from the mounts.
    I've machined my hub's to suit the TTs disc's as they are 58mm in height compared to the S4's which are 48mm. I've got an M10 x 1.5mm washer between the carrier and mount just to get the disc central in the carrier but for the S4 disc's you'd need 10 to 12mm thick. If you go the S4 route you could stack M10 washers between the carrier and mount to get the correct thickness then get some solid spacers made to suit. You'll also need longer mounting bolts, standard are M10 x 1.25 x 20mm so probably M10 x 1.25 x 30.
    Thanks for all the help

B5 S4 rear disc is only 11mm bigger than C4/100, so it really isn't worth all the extra time and money for fabbing a spacer, S4 caliper etc. At least to me.

Would a spacer fit this hub without any modifications?

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

In other news - besides cleaning the hubs up with a hot tank - I finally got my trunk ajusted and the ECS (doh!) lip installed. Ordering the new spacers soon

I love it Matches the reverse tint and the CF BBS logos nicely. It'll look even better once my euro taillights show up!!!

Really wish the reverse tint came out better in pics, its a good amount lighter than how it shows up here.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Quote Originally Posted by Mattr567 View Post
    Thanks for all the help

B5 S4 rear disc is only 11mm bigger than C4/100, so it really isn't worth all the extra time and money for fabbing a spacer, S4 caliper etc. At least to me.

Would a spacer fit this hub without any modifications?
    B5/S4 rear rotors are also vented...
    Nogaro/Nogaro '01 S4 Avant 6MT
    '00 1.8t Avant | '93 RS2'd S4 | '99.5 1.8t | '01 1.8t | '95.5 S6 Avant

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by coolgraymemo View Post
    B5/S4 rear rotors are also vented...
    True, although with the way the brake ballast is set up and how in a fwd there's little to no weight in the back, the difference I would actually feel? Probably negligible, especially with my BBK. And knowing the type of driving i'm going to be doing with it, meh.

I don't have the time to figure out and fab up a spacer anyhow. Bigger priorities on the car right now.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234