Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings Mr. Three's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Good times for sure. But you are in Canada, no? You get way better gas than the absolute garbage we get in California. We can't run a hyper aggressive map like Aaron did for your dtuk because our car would pull so much timing it would run 14s. Lol. I would love to see a pump 91 acn gassed car run sub 12. I think without meth, e85 or a buffer turbo, it ain't gonna happen. And that's a bummer. But let's see how it goes!

AZ Member #

*bigger turbo, not buffer. Sorry

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Which map and setting are you running on dtuk? I still can't seem to nail down which one I like best. The higher settings I get more aggressive torque down low but then I get an air/power surge when I shift that makes the transmission shift rough so I have been running more near -2 which seems to make it shift smoother under aggressive acceleration but then I get a bit less torque. I have the TCU tune, ECS intake, and AWE exhaust. I am curious if the BMS tune feels smoother/more linear but still runs similar or better acceleration times.

Senior Member Three Rings mtlquattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

At this point I am pretty sure I have the best times out there but once more people get the BMS and play with updated files, times will get better and better. We are at the early stage of this platform. Sure we get better gas than what you guys have in california I mean everywhere else have better gas than california. I run 94 octane so no reason not to reach those times with 93 octane. At least you guys get ethanol at the pump, not us. I won't say what tune is better or worse, I just use the one that gets me the best results at the moment as I usually don't keep my cars very long. I am sure that if the demand and the potential is there, DTpower could release more updated files but they seem to be working differently than BMS and it is not an ''open source'' if we can call it like that.

With the DTpower box there is no way around it, more boost=jerky shifts but only at partial throttle, full throttle is super fast and smooth. The tcu flash helps it a lot but it is still present and I got used to it and how to modulate the throttle to mostly eliminate that. Some want a super smooth experience and maybe the BMS or the DT with a less aggressive map is better at that. The tune I run has no equivalent on the stock DT settings. Aaron did set the map to be at 2-0 and the +1 +2 +3 settings are increment in boost -1 -2 -3 setting lowers it. At this point I cannot run any more than 2-0 because it will throw a ''low pressure in the manifold'' error when releasing the pedal after hard acceleration. This was discussed on the n54 board and BMS is supposed to have a way around it. Also cooling, yes anymore boost will require upgraded cooling which i don't have at this point. This shows to me that we are not at the limit of the turbo itself yet even on pump gas.

Keep in mind that my runs are from this summer and it can get very hot and humid here but elevation is near zero so DA's are mostly around 1000' more or less. These runs are also on my heavy ass 20x10.5 niche misanos, stock wheels could probably shave at least a tenth.

In the futur, with the right setup we will see sub 11.5 times on the stock turbo I am pretty sure and we have not mentionned flash tunes yet...
    Last edited by mtlquattro; 10-05-2018 at 05:39 AM.
    NOW: 2018 s5 ibis white coupe 11.65@117.8
    SOLD: 2015 misano s5 s-tronic sport diff
    Totaled: B8S5 IBIS WHITE 6MT
    SOLD: B7S4 BRILLIANT RED 6MT
    SOLD: UNITRONICTUNED GT71R B6 ON 630 cc

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I am running Aarons USDM map 3. What is this special map 2 you're running?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    I am running Aarons USDM map 3. What is this special map 2 you're running?
    I asked Aaron to have a map with the most boost he think he could do and the option of augmenting it even more or lowering it via de +- settings so I could find by my own what my car can get considering the fuel available here and ambiant conditions. Since my car was already running strong and responding well on the USDM map 3 he went for it. This is REGARDLESS of drivability, originally it was only for track use but I got used to it and drive it every day. I insisted that I was not looking for a compromise in drivability/power, I just wanted max power. He loaded it on dial 2 on my box so I could keep the USDM map on dial 3.

AZ Member #

The thing is it is not a matter of switching to the aggressive map once at the track and expecting the car to fly right away and then putting it back on the ''street'' map, sadly it does not work like that with a piggy like it would with a flash tune. The ECU takes a lot of time and miles to adjust itself to the new boost request so you literally have to drive the map everyday to see the most gains. People always switching maps never gives enough time to see the best gains and never meet their expectations. With the Bluetooth control it's always temping to play with the maps so my box don't have it and never will.

When I get my car back from maintenance and put the box back on, it always takes time before I see the best times.

If it had not been of my car already taking the boost increase very well, Aaron would probably never have loaded this map on my box. It is pointless to ask for more boost if your car is already not taking it.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I gotcha that makes sense. So if I am able to run Map 3 at +3 for a week with no error codes maybe it would be worth asking aaron for your map? I assume that means I might still have some margin for boost if the car seems happy with it.

AZ Member #

Sure, if your car runs well on 3+3 which is the most aggressive stock map available you probably have room left for more boost. I guess you are running 93 octane gas as well?

Senior Member Three Rings nicotino15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

oh, I thought it was a bms thread, sorry about that

AZ Member #

You are right sorry

Sent from my SM-A520W using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just waiting on someone to post on their BMS results/comparisons. Gotta be a few of you installing them this weekend.

AZ Member #

Lotta units going out now so Iím sure weíll see something soon

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #

What kind of results are you looking for? HP? Does that really matter? I know I read that the S4 does not like dyno testing, I think Aaron from DT said it gave a lot of issues, and I personally wouldn't mess with it. Even if somebody does it reliably what does that tell you because there is so much variability in it? Rarely does anybody take their stock car, dyno test, then immediately install the tune and re-test, and even if they did as others mentioned there is a learning process to get the most from the tuner.

My point is, if people are posting their performance improvements, and you know what the tuner is doing (they are all pretty simple, just tricking the ECU to thinking it needs more boost), then what other info are you looking for?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I mentioned earlier the DT maps are a bit rough sometimes during shifts when you are partial throttle in boost. Supposedly BMS did some smoothing of those behaviors (not sure how) and they also have an E30 tune. Really looking to see the difference in linearity and the supposed adjustments made to reduce the harshness in some scenarios. That would require someone who has driven with both setups and not necessarily dyno results.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nicotino15 View Post
    What kind of results are you looking for? HP? Does that really matter? I know I read that the S4 does not like dyno testing, I think Aaron from DT said it gave a lot of issues, and I personally wouldn't mess with it. Even if somebody does it reliably what does that tell you because there is so much variability in it? Rarely does anybody take their stock car, dyno test, then immediately install the tune and re-test, and even if they did as others mentioned there is a learning process to get the most from the tuner.

My point is, if people are posting their performance improvements, and you know what the tuner is doing (they are all pretty simple, just tricking the ECU to thinking it needs more boost), then what other info are you looking for?
    I just wanna see times and more importantly trap speeds. Thatís more of an indicator of how fast the car is.

'11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B9S4 View Post
    I mentioned earlier the DT maps are a bit rough sometimes during shifts when you are partial throttle in boost. Supposedly BMS did some smoothing of those behaviors (not sure how) and they also have an E30 tune. Really looking to see the difference in linearity and the supposed adjustments made to reduce the harshness in some scenarios. That would require someone who has driven with both setups and not necessarily dyno results.
    hmm, not sure about that. I've driven my friends DT tuned S4 and it felt more responsive and slightly faster although he also has catless exhaust and open intake. I don't remember his car feeling any more or less jerky than my car, if what you're saying is true I could only think that it is a very subtle difference.

In terms of the E30, there is nothing special with the JB4 to allow it, it does have a fuel pressure sensor for monitoring fuel trims to ensure that the car is not going too lean, but I believe the fuelling is still controlled solely by the ECU.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I drive mine everyday so I know my car. The tune box doesn't affect responsiveness and I would say makes a decent amount more power. How is your friend running catless without causing the car to run rich due to the O2 readings? His car would probably be faster with a cat unless there is some way he is manipulating the O2 signal...

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My JB4 will be here Tuesday. Hoping to get it installed and on the dyno for some numbers this weekend. I will keep you all posted!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B9S4_203 View Post
    My JB4 will be here Tuesday. Hoping to get it installed and on the dyno for some numbers this weekend. I will keep you all posted!
    Yes please!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Just picked it up from the post office today, will try to get it installed after work and get some initial thoughts!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quick little update. Installed the Jb4 this afternoon in my apartment parking garage.

Why did I choose the JB4 over the competition? Well that was very easy for me. I am not in an regard knocking any other product out there but coming from a BMW 335 a few cars back and having extensive experience with Terry and the JB4 platform it was the one for me. I absolutely love the ability to log and see what the car is doing. This will be very helpful to keep an eye on IATs and see how each mod affects the car.

1. Installation was a breeze. The directions I downloaded were spot on, literally took 20 minutes and is super clean. (see pic below) I will admit though, I wired the OBD cable through the door instead of the firewall but this was all to get the car on the road.
    2. THE BLUETOOTH CONNECTOR is a must. Turns your phone into a data logger and gauge cluster. I have had JB4's before on my BMW and now regret not having this.

Now, how does the car drive? I started today on Map 2 to get a feel for how she runs and keep an eye on all the data. MY GOD. I cannot explain how it feels. Its like the feeling you got when you first went flat out, but if you look down at the speed you can instantly tell the difference. Car pulls like a monster now. I will try to get it on the dyno and get some concrete numbers soon but WOW. Car feels 100% stock like..buttery smooth in the power delivery.

Any questions please feel free to PM me of hit me up on IG Jimbromanello

image1 (6).jpgimage2 (4).jpg

AZ Member #

Great review! Now if only I could get one in California. :/
    2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus / Nav / Black Optic / S Sport / Fine Nappa / Carbon / EMD Springs / EMD Rear Bar / ECS 10 / 12.5 mm spacers / ECS Transmission Mount / Painted Markers / Laminex Rear Smoked Reflectors / Hardwired V1 /
    Cars of the past: 83 A1 GTI / 83 Callaway stage 2 A1 GTI / 86 951 turbo Porsche / 98 Dinan M3 / 95 3.2 OBD1 M3 / 02 E39 M5 / 88 E28 528i / 08 RS4 / 13 S5 / 14 S5 / 15 S5 GIAC Stage 2 / 16 APR tuned S6 / 01 996 911 Turbo ByDesign Stage 4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B9S4_203 View Post
    Quick little update. Installed the Jb4 this afternoon in my apartment parking garage.

Why did I choose the JB4 over the competition? Well that was very easy for me. I am not in an regard knocking any other product out there but coming from a BMW 335 a few cars back and having extensive experience with Terry and the JB4 platform it was the one for me. I absolutely love the ability to log and see what the car is doing. This will be very helpful to keep an eye on IATs and see how each mod affects the car.

1. Installation was a breeze. The directions I downloaded were spot on, literally took 20 minutes and is super clean. (see pic below) I will admit though, I wired the OBD cable through the door instead of the firewall but this was all to get the car on the road.
    2. THE BLUETOOTH CONNECTOR is a must. Turns your phone into a data logger and gauge cluster. I have had JB4's before on my BMW and now regret not having this.

Now, how does the car drive? I started today on Map 2 to get a feel for how she runs and keep an eye on all the data. MY GOD. I cannot explain how it feels. Its like the feeling you got when you first went flat out, but if you look down at the speed you can instantly tell the difference. Car pulls like a monster now. I will try to get it on the dyno and get some concrete numbers soon but WOW. Car feels 100% stock like..buttery smooth in the power delivery.

Any questions please feel free to PM me of hit me up on IG Jimbromanello

image1 (6).jpgimage2 (4).jpg
    I am 100% with you on this product. This is my 3rd vehicle with JB4 and its great. Sure I could get a few more HP out of an ECU flash, but my warranty is worth it. Logging directly to your phone is invaluable and the Bluetooth module has worked flawlessly for me, worth every penny. Speaking of logging, there are no conversions needed...and the ability to email the log from the app to George is a very thoughtful feature.
    I filled up with an E30 mix yesterday and tried out map 5....I pulled out into some traffic, and it actually made me say "whoa" :) I have yet to look at my log from map 5, will do that this morning .
    Install was a breeze for me as well. feeding the OBD plug through the firewall grommet was pretty simple. I ran a piece of wire from the outside in, and blindly felt for it in the upper left foot well area. I was worried it was going to be hard to locate, but it was not at all. Zip tied the cables in about 15 places and looks clean like yours. I didn't use Gorilla Tape, where did you use that? Love that stuff!

Jason
    Last edited by jkeith72; 10-11-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings Jimmy ny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is it possible to put that app onto the car screen? Using the car play ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 TTS. Mythos Black w/ Nappa Red interior. APR 1, AFE Intake

Veteran Member Four Rings Jimmy ny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Whatís the avg crank horsepower gain ?

2016 TTS. Mythos Black w/ Nappa Red interior. APR 1, AFE Intake

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy ny View Post
    Is it possible to put that app onto the car screen? Using the car play ?

I believe apple does not allow the majority of apps to be used with car play.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy ny View Post
    Whatís the avg crank horsepower gain ?

That remains to be seen...I think George says the JB4 puts the car over 400hp, so expecting 50ish initially seems safe.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
    That remains to be seen...I think George says the JB4 puts the car over 400hp, so expecting 50ish initially seems safe.
    I am hoping to get my car up on the dyno for some numbers next weekend.

AZ Member #

Iíve heard of jailbreak apps letting you load whatever app you want on CarPlay. Donít know the status of that with IOS 12 but that would be sweet with the JB4.

'11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

Senior Member Three Rings S4_Pedro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nez136 View Post
    Iíve heard of jailbreak apps letting you load whatever app you want on CarPlay. Donít know the status of that with IOS 12 but that would be sweet with the JB4.

I havenít seen a jail broken iOS in years itís gotten so much harder, Android I feel it may be more possible as they allow more third party stuff but I can be wrong also on both

Veteran Member Four Rings richib86's Avatar
    AZ Member #

ios12 DOES have a jailbreak and carbridge is the app that allows you to send all your apps through carplay
    2016 S6, Mythos black with Arras red, Sport package, Bose, Black ops, silver side mirrors, LED, Cold weather, Driver assist, APR Stg 3 w/RS7 turbo's, AMS cooler, APR downpipes, Milltek Non-res Valved, Roc-Euro intake, CETE lowering module, HRE P101, Alcantara steering wheel w/rs7+ buttons, Neidfaktor alcantara shift knob, P3 Gauge, Full O34 mounts, OEM interior LED, VIM

2014 Q5 3.0, Glacier white w/chestnut, H&R springs, Eurocode Sways, DIY black optics, 5 arm titanium rotor reps

Senior Member Three Rings S4_Pedro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by richib86 View Post
    ios12 DOES have a jailbreak and carbridge is the app that allows you to send all your apps through carplay
    Really do you have anymore info on this by any chance?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings richib86's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4_Pedro View Post
    Really do you have anymore info on this by any chance?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Audizine mobile app
    https://pangu8.com/jailbreak/12/
    2016 S6, Mythos black with Arras red, Sport package, Bose, Black ops, silver side mirrors, LED, Cold weather, Driver assist, APR Stg 3 w/RS7 turbo's, AMS cooler, APR downpipes, Milltek Non-res Valved, Roc-Euro intake, CETE lowering module, HRE P101, Alcantara steering wheel w/rs7+ buttons, Neidfaktor alcantara shift knob, P3 Gauge, Full O34 mounts, OEM interior LED, VIM

2014 Q5 3.0, Glacier white w/chestnut, H&R springs, Eurocode Sways, DIY black optics, 5 arm titanium rotor reps

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Any ETA when it will be in stock again?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cthan3o3 View Post
    Any ETA when it will be in stock again?
    They are back in stock right now, just ordered one myself.
    2018 S4 Glacier white, ED springs, EMD carbon splitter, ECS rear carbon spoiler, RS4 grille.

Active Member Two Rings TMS1224's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just placed order! Good looking out!
    Will post review after install.
    Last edited by TMS1224; 10-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.

AZ Member #

Mine will be here Monday

'11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #

Mine will be here Monday

Mine is scheduled for delivery at end of business day today
    2018 S4 Glacier white, ED springs, EMD carbon splitter, ECS rear carbon spoiler, RS4 grille.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Mine will be here Monday

Quote Originally Posted by CMA337 View Post
    Mine is scheduled for delivery at end of business day today
    You both are going to enjoy it! I love mine (besides the random IAT code)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast