Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 MDX Advance pkg, a workbench
    Items for Sale

my very quick comparison to F10 5 series

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My brother in law just picked up a very nice 2015 535xi. It has M sport pkg, Napa leather, cold weather pkg and full advance driver pkg. I've taken it out a few times and here is a short list I have thought of.

- Obviously the motor compared to my S6 is down on power. But overall power is very linear and pulls to redline, although less responsive than the 3.0t in my prior S4.
    - Transmission is fairly quick and smooth. Shift lever is dumb. It literally took me over a minute to put it in gear the first time.
    - The seats are a bit more supportive and somehow more comfortable than my sport seats in the S6. More seat adjustability too. Can't beat diamond stitching though ;) NAPA leather is similar quality to mine. BMW wheel is thicker.
    - I like the widescreen display. Tech seems better, such as ability to "see" outline of objects in parking distance view. HUD contains more info too compared to mine.
    - The handling/suspension is a HUGE letdown. I know that the F10 5 series is based on the 7 series platform and man can you feel it. Way more luxury than sport - even with the M pkg. Steering feel is utter dogshit/numb. My S6 in comfort feels miles better than his car in sport.

annnd that's it. Anyone else have experience with the F10?
    -------
    2014 S6 - Stage 3, AMS downpipes with custom exhaust
    2013 S4 - Dual Pulley e85 - sold

Active Member Two Rings porksoda's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hofahome View Post
    My brother in law just picked up a very nice 2015 535xi. It has M sport pkg, Napa leather, cold weather pkg and full advance driver pkg. I've taken it out a few times and here is a short list I have thought of.

- Obviously the motor compared to my S6 is down on power. But overall power is very linear and pulls to redline, although less responsive than the 3.0t in my prior S4.
    - Transmission is fairly quick and smooth. Shift lever is dumb. It literally took me over a minute to put it in gear the first time.
    - The seats are a bit more supportive and somehow more comfortable than my sport seats in the S6. More seat adjustability too. Can't beat diamond stitching though ;) NAPA leather is similar quality to mine. BMW wheel is thicker.
    - I like the widescreen display. Tech seems better, such as ability to "see" outline of objects in parking distance view. HUD contains more info too compared to mine.
    - The handling/suspension is a HUGE letdown. I know that the F10 5 series is based on the 7 series platform and man can you feel it. Way more luxury than sport - even with the M pkg. Steering feel is utter dogshit/numb. My S6 in comfort feels miles better than his car in sport.

annnd that's it. Anyone else have experience with the F10?
    When i was purchasing my car i was not really looking for a 5 series as i was coming from the older e39 5 and i wanted something a bit more reliable. I did drive the 535 and 550 with DHP and msport and i found both cars to be numb and disconnected from the road. Audi even with the base car was far superior to handling and felt overall very light and nimble.
    The seats if you get the upgraded seats in the bmw are vastly superior as there are very many adjustment points.
    Personally i never compared the gadgetry so i dont recall but i came from a car that didnt even have a rear view camera so this was a huge upgrade overall.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I shopped for a 550i for quite a few months before settling on an S6. The 5 series styling isnít inspiring, even with M Sport (and thatís a big improvement over base packages). The V8 in the 550 is impressive, but I completely agree that the car feels big, heavy, and disconnected from the road. I imagine the 535 is a bit better due to the lighter engine, but I was literally excited to drive my old 2001 3 series again after a 5 series test drive. Interior comfort is great and I like idrive and the HUD is better (shows speed limit, for example). Anyway, nice car, but canít compare to the S6.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine
    2014 S6 | Phantom Black Pearl | Alcantara Headliner | B&O | Black Optic | Driver Assistance & Innovation Packages
    Mods: APR Downpipes | APR Stage 2 | Black Powder Coated Wheels

Active Member Two Rings John_Kaufmann's Avatar
    AZ Member #

We rented a 5 series in Cancun a few weeks ago and found the turbo lag on launch to be not only annoying but potentially dangerous!

I agree the shifting control was massively annoying as well. So happy I bought my A6. But also glad I rented the 5 series because I have zero buyers remorse after spending a week with the BMW.

Fit and finish was excellent and the seats were great.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I drove a F10 M5 Competition Package last week for the first time.

Gotta admit...if that bitch was AWD i'd own one over my RS7
    2017 Wrangler Sahara
    2015 RS7...stock + Akrapovic
    2009 Nissan GTR....1100whp
    2007 Porsche 911 Turbo...Bolt On's

Established Member Two Rings Eugeinus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I really do wish the S models had a bigger, more meaty steering wheel. Even the wheel in my S6 feels way too thin compared to my 2010 335 I used to have. Other than that, so many 5 series around here. The new body style with M sport looks pretty good, but I'd still take the S over it any day.
    ------------------------
    16' S6 Mythos Black

Established Member Two Rings Persuader's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Range Rover Velar D300 R-Dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeinus View Post
    I really do wish the S models had a bigger, more meaty steering wheel. Even the wheel in my S6 feels way too thin compared to my 2010 335 I used to have. Other than that, so many 5 series around here. The new body style with M sport looks pretty good, but I'd still take the S over it any day.
    Do you have the flat bottomed steering wheel. If not then you might want to change to it as it's thicker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    2016 Audi 3.0 BiTDI Black Edition, RS7 Bumper/rear valance/exhaust, CF Rear Spoiler, Black Mirror Covers. Kufatec Sound Booster, DTUK Tuning Box to 360BHP.

Established Member Two Rings ehofmann's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post

Get the new M5. I bet that thing is going to be nasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings Eugeinus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Persuader View Post
    Do you have the flat bottomed steering wheel. If not then you might want to change to it as it's thicker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    I do have the flat bottom steering wheel - still feels like it should be thicker honestly.
    ------------------------
    16' S6 Mythos Black

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ehofmann View Post
    Get the new M5. I bet that thing is going to be nasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    maybe in a couple years. I'll let someone else take the initial depreciation hit.
    2017 Wrangler Sahara
    2015 RS7...stock + Akrapovic
    2009 Nissan GTR....1100whp
    2007 Porsche 911 Turbo...Bolt On's

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by porksoda View Post
    The seats if you get the upgraded seats in the bmw are vastly superior as there are very many adjustment points.
    Yup - Audi doesn't do seats all that well... The BMW multi-contour seats on the 5 and 7 series are extremely comfortable.

By the way, the new G30 5-series is lighter and handles better than the F10 generation. Really good cars in my opinion.

Established Member Two Rings ///S6///'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toureg and Bug (Kids cars)

If I read it correctly, the new M5 will have AWD, which can also be disengaged and revert to the rear wheel drive.

I was so close to a 550, but ended up where there were not making them anymore, so ended up with the S6, and so glad I did. Reading the comments, I do recall the car feeling much bigger, and also liked the interior.

If the S6 is going to get the V6, I may reconsider move over to the M5 when its time. We will see.
    Bill

2017 S6::Sepang Blue::Black Optics::Prestige::Night Vision::Drivers Assistance::Cold Weather::Comfort:: Stage 1 EPL :: Roc Euro:: 25% Tint ::
    2015 SQ5 (Wifes Car)::Mythos Black Metallic::Black Optics::Premium Plus::Technology::21" Wheels

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Haha I feel you!

My previous car was a 2015 F10 M5 COMP and I loved that car. Had it for 2 years, tuned it to stage 2 (downpipes, exhaust, tune) and it was a beast!Interior was gorgeous, handled well in my opinion too.

That said, my RS7 Performance (stock) is on another level when it comes to speed. The thing just hooks up and goes. AWD is obviously a big deal but this motor feels stronger. The F90 will be silly!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings shoe3k's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ///S6/// View Post
    If I read it correctly, the new M5 will have AWD, which can also be disengaged and revert to the rear wheel drive.

I was so close to a 550, but ended up where there were not making them anymore, so ended up with the S6, and so glad I did. Reading the comments, I do recall the car feeling much bigger, and also liked the interior.

If the S6 is going to get the V6, I may reconsider move over to the M5 when its time. We will see.
    I think he was talking about the last gen since the new gen is designated as F90.
    2017 S6 Prestige | Moonlight Blue Metallic | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance Pkg |
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Previous: '15 S4 | '15 STI | '12 GLI Autobahn | '08 Passat | '04 R32 | '05 GTI 1.8t |