Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

B8.5 S4 to TTS\TTRS

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi
    Iím thinking about transitioning from my B8.5 S4 to a new TTS or TTRS. The problem I have with the TTS is that i almost feel for the small amount more (per month) I should just get the TTRS. But then I think, will I ever really need the 400 ponies. The B8.5 S4 is a beautiful (Gas guzzling) machine. Iím not a fan of the B9 interior. Plus, the TTS and RS3 and the golf all share the same engine making me constantly think I should just buy the Golf.

Anyone transition from the 8.5 S4 to the new s/rs here?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

The TTS, RS3, and Golf share the same engine??? Do you mean S3? You can't, because the S3 from the S4 is just a straight downgrade. The RS3 has the same 5 cyl engine as the TTRS...

I have both the B8.5 S4 and the TTRS. I have had the S4 for 2 years and loved it, and after I drove the TTRS I felt like the handling on the S4 was shit in comparison. The S4 does not even compare to the TTRS.

TTS vs TTRS isn't just HP either, you're getting an entirely different beast with the 5 cyl under the hood. It's something unique. Still, many have opted for the TTS over the TTRS, saying they couldn't justify the increased cost for extra power and 5 cyl.

I absolutely love my TTRS, and I would personally be disappointed with a 2.0T 4 cyl, because I used to own one. Also, supercharged V6 S4 > 2.0T S3, TTS, Golf R, etc. IMO
    2018 TTRS - Suzuka Grey
    2013 S4 - Monsoon Grey
    2012 A5 - Glacier White (Sold 11/13/17 )

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Izzu View Post
    The TTS, RS3, and Golf share the same engine??? Do you mean S3? You can't, because the S3 from the S4 is just a straight downgrade. The RS3 has the same 5 cyl engine as the TTRS...

I have both the B8.5 S4 and the TTRS. I have had the S4 for 2 years and loved it, and after I drove the TTRS I felt like the handling on the S4 was shit in comparison. The S4 does not even compare to the TTRS.

TTS vs TTRS isn't just HP either, you're getting an entirely different beast with the 5 cyl under the hood. It's something unique. Still, many have opted for the TTS over the TTRS, saying they couldn't justify the increased cost for extra power and 5 cyl.

I absolutely love my TTRS, and I would personally be disappointed with a 2.0T 4 cyl, because I used to own one. Also, supercharged V6 S4 > 2.0T S3, TTS, Golf R, etc. IMO
    i test drove the TTS, and i still feel like i liked the b8.5 S4 engine better than the TTS. My mistake about the engines. The RS3 and TTRS have same engine...

AZ Member #

Agreed. I went from a B8 S4 and fast forward to today I daily a A3 with a 2.0T. Feels so lifeless. lol. Anyway I'll be getting another S4 (B8.5) soon ;)
    The money pit:

2010 Audi A3 8P Premium Plus S-Line - Ibis White - QUATTRO - DSG - Vorsteiner VFF-103 *Daily*
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - Satin White Pearl - 6MT *Daily* (Sold)
    2011 BMW E92 M3 Competition Package - Jet Black - 6MT (Always in the shop > Sold)
    2011 Audi S4 Premium Plus - Ibis White - DSG (Sold)

Senior Member Three Rings chrisngrod's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Stock b8.5 S4 vs the stock TTS... TTS should be faster. Same after tune.

Of course the power delivery is different. I did like the sport diff in the S4 and that the electronic dampers could go softer than the mag ride on the TTS.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh forgot to add that I did like the transmission in the S4 better.
    Last edited by chrisngrod; 01-12-2018 at 03:48 AM.
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus
    2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - CCM Brakes
    2017 Audi Q7 Prestige
    2016 Audi TTS (Injen Intake, Burger Motorsports JB4, AP Racing 6 Piston BBK, 19x9.5 wheels with tires for sale, Vehicle Sold)
    2013 Audi S4 Prestige - Milltek Valvesonic Exhaust, Roc Euro Intake - Sold
    2012 Audi A7 Prestige (Stasis Exhaust, Injen Intake) - Sold

Veteran Member Three Rings adamkb26's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Audi Q5 2.0

I went from B8.5 S4 to TTS and love it. It feels a little faster both stock and now tuned. Everything else (interior, exterior, handling, fun) is on a completely different level than the S4, even compared to the B9.

The RS was a bit too expensive but I would have gotten it if I could have. I did get to drive one recently and it wasn't any better than my tuned TTS. With even a stage 1 tune the RS is completely insane though. That being said, I know I would rarely be able to use more power than I have on public roads.

I did test drive the S3 and Golf R just to compare before buying my car and I wouldn't want either of them. The interiors are too low quality in comparison (things were already squeaky to the touch on both) and they aren't nearly as attractive. The Golf R is especially ordinary looking. Handling is also significantly better on the TTS. With all your options I think you get what you pay for.
    2017 Sepang Blue TTS | Rotor Grey Fine Nappa | Black Optic | Tech Package | B&O
    JB1 | 034 Carbon Intake | Milltek Non-Res Exhaust /w Race Cat DP | 034 Dogbone & Rear Mounts | 034 Rear Sway Bar | HRE FF01 Gloss Bronze | oCarbon Blue Reflex Carbon Trim

2013 Misano Red S4 - Gone

Senior Member Three Rings Trent212's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I ordered my TT RS back in October just waiting for it to get here, S4 was and is a great car, wish I could keep it and keep the TT RS, but that is a lot of car payment! S4 can only go so far before you have to put an astronomical amount of money into it to go faster. I've been hooked on the 1/2 mile racing we have around here.
    2018 TT RS - Nogaro Blue | CF Inlays | Black Optic | Design Selection Interior | Red Calipers | Technology Package
    2017 A3 2.0 Ultra - Daily
    2015 S4 Prestige - Sold
    2013 A4 Premium plus - Sold

Veteran Member Three Rings Huey52's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Grand Touring vs. Sport Coupe

I loved the looks of my A5, grand touring ride, and performance post tune, exhaust mod, etc. I'm sure I would love the sound of the TTRS 5-cylinder but I would also not get to use its considerably higher performance. And although I got the TTS so I wouldn't again be tune tempted I just may have to add a JB1.

All the best with your decision. The hunt is fun.

http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_volks...JB1_tuner.html
    Last edited by Huey52; 01-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    2016 TTS Sepang blue/rotor gray Tech B&O
    Prior: 2013 allroad; 2011 A5

Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Items for Sale

imo, s4 to tts will be an improvement in almost every way ( except space ). 3.0sc is nice with the linear power, but it gets so boring. i honestly love the feeling of the turbo spooling and throwing u back at ur seat after a second. its like prepare for take off!

interior, no question

looks, subjective, but i think the tt is the best looking new gen audi, period.

as for tts vs ttrs, if money is no issue, TTrs for sure. but to me, the reasons why i wouldn't pay the premium is because 1) im poor 2) it doesn't look different enough 3) i wont ever use all that power 4) did i mention im poor?

like huey said, tts should b on par, if not, faster than an s4 stock for stock and through the tune stages. my buddies stage 1 3.0 s5 felt slower than my tts with jb1
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | BT JB1 | Miltek Race HFC
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

IG: bknewtype

Established Member Two Rings seank13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I went with a TTS over an rs3 and TTRS. For me, the TTS beat the rs3 in every aspect except the motor, though the motor weighed heavily enough that it was close.

Between the TTS and the TTRS the only difference is the motor. Granted it's a significant difference. But psychologically the $70k barrier was too high for me to go past. The TTS is already the most expensive car I have ever purchased even accounting for inflation and I could not see adding an extra $20k on top of that for the wonderful motor and even though I could technically afford it.

That said I have had no regrets about the TTS since day one. And last week I flashed Unitronic stage 1 for $600 and its even more fun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Audizine mobile app
    2017 Audi TTS
    2002 VW GTI 337
    1996 Toyota 4runner
    2008 Triumph Bonneville
    2016 Harley Davidson Sportster

AZ Member #

I see everyone here expressing all of my exact thoughts on the debate between S and RS. The psychological factor is huge, too, regarding $$. Will EVER use the potential of the 400hp?? I drive the coastal mountains in BC a few times a week, so, I doubt it, but the turning and control i will get from the S would be insane as it is. I think the S is the "responsible" and yet still amazing decision.

Veteran Member Four Rings bknewtype's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 C300 4Matic
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by kalch View Post
    I see everyone here expressing all of my exact thoughts on the debate between S and RS. The psychological factor is huge, too, regarding $$. Will EVER use the potential of the 400hp?? I drive the coastal mountains in BC a few times a week, so, I doubt it, but the turning and control i will get from the S would be insane as it is. I think the S is the "responsible" and yet still amazing decision.
    don't forget, a fully equipped TTRS is entering M4/c63s territory. while I do think the TTrs is better looking and a beast, its heard to choose it over the competitors.

grab a used TTs for like 40k. ull be happy
    Current: 2017 Audi TTS Mythos Black/ Express Red
    034 Intake | 034 Dog bone mount | 034 Carbon Engine Bay Kit | ECS Turbo muffler delete | BBS CH-R | H&R Sport springs | BT JB1 | Miltek Race HFC
    Past:
    2009 Audi R8 Phantom Black | Nero Satin Pearl
    2011 Audi A5 2.0T 6mt Sapphire Black Build Thread
    2009 Audi S5 Phantom Black

IG: bknewtype

Veteran Member Four Rings VeryBadman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X1

There is an old mantra, there wonít be enough money, p*s*y, and HP so if money is not an issue, get the RS all the way and you wonít regret anything. To be honest, you wonít even look at these cars S or RS if you want to be responsible financially.
    Last edited by VeryBadman; 01-12-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    2018 Audi TTRS, Daytona Grey: Iroz/Custom Code Stage 2, HFC Down pipe, Iroz Intercooler, Technology, Black Optic, Sport Exhaust, Blackout Badges, Pedalbox, H&R Springs and Spacers
    Other: 2017 BMW X1 and lots of rental cars
    Gone: 2017 Mini Cooper S, 2014 Audi RS7, 2014 BMW 228i, 2013 Audi S6, 2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 Audi S4, 2008 Audi A4, 2008 Subaru Legacy

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VeryBadman View Post
    There is an old mantra, the wonít be enough money, p*s*y, and HP so if money is not an issue, get the RS all the way and you wonít regret anything. To be honest, you wonít even look at these cars S or RS if you want to be responsible financially.
    i already have a wife.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by kalch View Post
    i already have a wife.

Same here so please ignore the P and concentrate on M and H only haha.

In all honestly, I consider myself very lucky that the wife has given me green light to get TT-RS.
    2018 Audi TTRS, Daytona Grey: Iroz/Custom Code Stage 2, HFC Down pipe, Iroz Intercooler, Technology, Black Optic, Sport Exhaust, Blackout Badges, Pedalbox, H&R Springs and Spacers
    Gone: 2017 Mini Cooper S, 2014 Audi RS7, 2014 BMW 228i, 2013 Audi S6, 2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 Audi S4, 2008 Audi A4, 2008 Subaru Legacy

AZ Member #

Same here so please ignore the P and concentrate on M and H only haha.

In all honestly, I consider myself very lucky that the wife has given me green light to get TT-RS.
    buddy, im from toronto, the former mayor (RIP) used P* in a press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4siKr6qY8w

Veteran Member Four Rings RWD2quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus IS250, Volvo 850R, Ford tractor

Can your wife call mine and convince her, my charm no longer works
    Are you stopping by 034 Winterfest?
    2014 S4, Audi Exclusive DRM, 6MT, 034 Stage 2+ E40, DP (3.362), AMS Cooler, Autotech HPFP, ADV.1, CR-15, Deval CF, ECS LWFW, Eurocode, SPEC 3+, KW V3, ST6 BBK, USP SS clutch line, XPEL full wrap.
    Gone: 2012 S4 Brilliant Black, Prestige, S-tragic.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by RWD2quattro View Post
    Can your wife call mine and convince her, my charm no longer works
    Are you stopping by 034 Winterfest?
    I will stop by Winterfest. Btw, you have the workaround with your wife by doing it first and asking for forgiveness later lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I came from a B8.5 S4 that was still stock other than exhaust. The payment is a bit more but I absolutely love the RS. I find the interior is nicer, partly because I love the seats so much more than the S4.
    I test drove an S in the process of ordering the RS and while similar the RS definitely drives differently considering the power increase. The TT RS for me is a financially responsible choice because I want an R8 but even recent model year is still almost twice the cost which I couldn't justify to myself. If you don't need the space (4 doors) then I think you will love the TT RS. I can't speak for the TTS enough to say how it compares. I don't necesssarily seek the attention but in the limited time I've had the TT RS is gets a lot more looks then the S4. Most think the S4 is just another Audi sedan where you don't see a lot of TT on the road.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by timzcat View Post
    I came from a B8.5 S4 that was still stock other than exhaust. The payment is a bit more but I absolutely love the RS. I find the interior is nicer, partly because I love the seats so much more than the S4.
    I test drove an S in the process of ordering the RS and while similar the RS definitely drives differently considering the power increase. The TT RS for me is a financially responsible choice because I want an R8 but even recent model year is still almost twice the cost which I couldn't justify to myself. If you don't need the space (4 doors) then I think you will love the TT RS. I can't speak for the TTS enough to say how it compares. I don't necesssarily seek the attention but in the limited time I've had the TT RS is gets a lot more looks then the S4. Most think the S4 is just another Audi sedan where you don't see a lot of TT on the road.
    The S4 gets almost 0 attention when stock, which is why my wife loves it. She hates the attention. Itís nice and quiet when you baby it, and it has the power when you need it. She wanted to put SLPR as her plate, but
    I told her thatís heavily ironic to the point lol.

I get gawks from Aventador owners when in my TTRS. Itís seriously a mini R8.

2018 TTRS - Suzuka Grey
    2013 S4 - Monsoon Grey

Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

uhm..
    2018 RS3 Glacier White European delivery (picking it up in June)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S3DUDE View Post
    uhm..
    Use your words...
    2018 TTRS - Suzuka Grey
    2013 S4 - Monsoon Grey

Established Member Two Rings phobos512's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So if they're optioned identically there may be no major differences between a TTS and a TTRS outside of the engine. However, on the RS you can option front carbon ceramics, differently tuned suspension, different tail lights, many different body components... The RS also has more ability to move power around than the TTS.

And seriously, what kind of enthusiasts are you folks to say you'll never use the power? Will you never go to the track? Do you never go on spirited weekend drives? Because if either of those are true why are you even looking at performance autos at all?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings chrisngrod's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
    So if they're optioned identically there may be no major differences between a TTS and a TTRS outside of the engine. However, on the RS you can option front carbon ceramics, differently tuned suspension, different tail lights, many different body components... The RS also has more ability to move power around than the TTS.

And seriously, what kind of enthusiasts are you folks to say you'll never use the power? Will you never go to the track? Do you never go on spirited weekend drives? Because if either of those are true why are you even looking at performance autos at all?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Move power around? Please do tell. Is the haldex different or the programming? I haven't been reading much on that.

The 7 speed transmission might be better / programmed better.

I also heard about some people having issues with TTRS / RS3 ceramics. That is a little concerning.

2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus
    2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - CCM Brakes
    2017 Audi Q7 Prestige
    2016 Audi TTS (Injen Intake, Burger Motorsports JB4, AP Racing 6 Piston BBK, 19x9.5 wheels with tires for sale, Vehicle Sold)
    2013 Audi S4 Prestige - Milltek Valvesonic Exhaust, Roc Euro Intake - Sold
    2012 Audi A7 Prestige (Stasis Exhaust, Injen Intake) - Sold

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Move power around? Please do tell. Is the haldex different or the programming? I haven't been reading much on that.

The 7 speed transmission might be better / programmed better.

I also heard about some people having issues with TTRS / RS3 ceramics. That is a little concerning.

I believe the programming is RS division specific programming

Same gen haldex hardware though I believe

AZ Member #

Iíd go RS. With the coming of autonomous cars, the 5 cylinder is a giant finger to the sky, standing right next to the Hellcat.
    2017 Ibis TT 11/17 ll Austins-Michelin Snows 11/17 ll MSS KIT 2/18 ll StopTech ST40 BBK 3/22 ll REMUS valved axle back exhaust w/black tips 5/1

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I went the other direction... I went from a 2013 TTRS APR Stage 1 to a B8.5 S4 and it was a major downgrade performance wise.

The TTRS drives andsounds so special. The Adaptive suspension on the S4 uses inferior damping technology compared to the mag. ride on the TTRS, the stability control was more conservative on the S4, and the brakes sucked in comparison. And this is all from a previous generation TTRS.

If you care about performance, TTRS ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!
    Previous...
    05.5 B7 S4 (Stock)
    07' E90 335i (KW V2's, Sway Bars)
    08' E90 M3 (Stock)
    09' Z06 (DRM Shocks)
    13' TTRS (MSS springs, APR Stage 1)
    02' Z06 (Stock)

Current: 2016 F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T coilovers), DCT

AZ Member #

B8.5 S4 to TTS\TTRS

I went from B8.5 S4 to previous Ttrs then got a C7 S6 which is really fast straight line but way too large for me. Just purchased new Ttrs and absolutely love it. Honestly never thought Iíd say it but when I went from dsg in S4 to the previous Ttrs I really missed the dsg from my S4. Mainly bc of the launch factor. This new one is the best of both worlds.
    B8.5 is an awesome platform I loved that car. I really like interior of the new B9 just canít get over the transmission.

Last edited by Crnyglf; 01-21-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Veteran Member Three Rings GT-R & S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I went from a '15 S4 Prestige in Nogaro Blue, that I had at Stage 2 engine/DSG, intakes, AWE resonated downpipes and Touring exhaust within six months of ownership. Made an immense difference in performance. Going from that to an '18 S5 Sportback and the performance has been a big disappointment. Granted it was Stage 2 versus stock, but even so, I remember the throttle response from my S4 in stock being better. I'm actually looking at TT-RS' right now.
    '19 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT, Sebring Orange
    '18 Audi S5 Prestige Tango Red//'15 Maserati Granturismo Sport
    '17 MB C63 AMG Cabriolet//'17 Lotus Evora 400
    '15 Audi S4//'14 GT-R//'08 Pontiac G8 GT
    '11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon//'09 GT-R
    '12 Mitsubishi EVO MR//'07 BMW M6 Coupe
    '09 Cadillac CTS-V//'05 Audi S4
    '06 Infiniti M35 Sport//'04 Subaru STi
    '02 Subaru WRX//TWO '91 GMC Syclones
    '86 Buick Grand National//'64 Rambler

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi TT

Go TTRS if you can afford it. TTS with a stage 1 or even stage 2 if you like to mod will fill that gap on a budget.

Veteran Member Three Rings dgszweda's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I went from a B8.5 RS5 to the TTRS and love the change. Way more performance oriented.
    2018 Daytona Gray TTRS - Tech - Red Stitching - Black Optics - Sport Exhaust
    2014 Daytona Gray RS5 - MMI - Black Nappa - 20" rims - B&O - [SOLD]
    2008 Sprint Blue RS4 - [SOLD]
    2012 Monsoon Gray S4 - DSG - Sports Differential - B&O - Advance Key - MMI Navigation - Black Nappa
    My 2012 S4 Build Thread - [SOLD]

B8.5 S4 to TTS\TTRS

Just ordered the TT RS, Nardo Grey with the Black Optics. Got all options minus the Dynamic plus. Donít like ordering with out test driving, but I get much reassurance from you all that test drove the TT-RS in the past. Previous cars I have owned were the VW GTI and the BMW M3. The cars on the table were the Golf R and the M2. Did not care for the M2 interior otherwise would have considered it. Golf R did not seem to justify the cost over the GTI. True, the TT-RS is a jump in price, but seems justified. Thoughts?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by harris4crna View Post
    Just ordered the TT RS, Nardo Grey with the Black Optics. Got all options minus the Dynamic plus. Donít like ordering with out test driving, but I get much reassurance from you all that test drove the TT-RS in the past. Previous cars I have owned were the VW GTI and the BMW M3. The cars on the table were the Golf R and the M2. Did not care for the M2 interior otherwise would have considered it. Golf R did not seem to justify the cost over the GTI. True, the TT-RS is a jump in price, but seems justified. Thoughts?

Good job? It's a great car. Go watch the Grand Tour episode with it, it's on Amazon streaming. Amazingly, Clarkson doesn't hate it, and that really says it all. All hail the happy hippo!

Active Member Two Rings Blk rse's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well , I would say I had own the 2016 gti, flash it , canít keep it on road . Step up to the golf 2017 , upgrade 410 hp it was quick but not satisfactory so I went 2018 tt rs, with no upgrade yet I would say itís a well built car ( very solid )

In garage 2014 Mercedes Benz sprinter, 2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 Audi TT RS

Quote Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
    Good job? It's a great car. Go watch the Grand Tour episode with it, it's on Amazon streaming. Amazingly, Clarkson doesn't hate it, and that really says it all. All hail the happy hippo!
    Episode 9, the Audi TT RS yet makes another cameo at the 16:09 mark by Clarkson as being that star around the 60,000 mark, but gets a remark from Richard Hammond as being again feminine. I personally do not find the TT RS to be that feminine.