Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member Three Rings ruiz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Cue Leo DiCap hand clapping ^^

Veteran Member Four Rings FlyboyS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5

Quote Originally Posted by S4James View Post
    My FATS times were unaffected by "upgrading" to RS4 intercoolers. My quarter mile times and ET were not measurably affected either. My highway pulls VS a couple of consistent corvette friends were also pretty much the same.

I gained around 50whp just upgrading to the ER's

Those are the factors that matter to me. However the more esoteric factors of flow, pressure drop etc came into play, that was the end result.

The multiple factors of flow etc are essentially academic at this point. Cars don't tend to make significantly more power on those intercoolers and that has played out the same way over and over right here in this forum over the last 15 years. Perhaps 15 years ago, when there was little to no alternatives, the welded endtanks and slight increase in flow that these intercoolers offered was enough to justify the upgrade.

As fun as it is to do math, at the end of the night the only math im interested in doing is counting how many doors ive collected. ;)

Im not saying my ER intercoolers are the BEST. Im just saying the RS4 ones are not enough of an upgrade over stock to justify them. And Im not even sure they are an upgrade at all in terms of power.
    That you saw no improvement with RS4 IC's may be an isolated case. If the RS4 IC provided no benefit over stock S4 it would not have been purchased as an upgrade, or would have soon been evaluated as providing no benefit and people would have stopped buying it.

I don't agree with your perception of how things have played out. ER's became the go to IC because they cool better than any other option I'm aware of, to include RS4 IC's, and at the time that was all that was being used to assess IC performance. Products like the TiAL turbo's came later and the relatively poor pressure drop of the ER's limited those builds. AMD built an IC for big turbo builds that they knew did not cool as well as ER's because they had found lower pressure drop was important for the builds they were doing and WMI was being used commonly to assist with cooling. By that time a multitude of IC's were available with the SRM product being introduced soon thereafter giving a great tradeoff in cooling and pressure drop.

RS4 IC's flow about 25% more than ER's, that's more than a slight increase. There are better IC's available than RS4's, but they aren't as bad as you paint them to be. Fourth car down on here is an example of good results using RS4 IC's.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I dont agree with your conclusions at all.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

And I donīt agree(believe) that you got a 50whp increase with just te change from rs4 coolers to Er cooler....

AZ Member #

Might have been torque come to think of it. This was 10 years ago so im a bit fuzzy on the details. Anyhow, anybody that decides to put RS4 intercoolers on a stage3+ car deserves what they get, im done trying to help here.

edit.. actually no. The car was heatsoaking, and pulling timing in 3rd and 4rth. It wasnt so much that the intercoolers allowed me to gain the extra 50 or so HP, its that the RS4s were entirely inadequate for the boost and timing the tune had.

Established Member Two Rings TheMysticWizard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '15 A3 TDI, '14 Q7 TDI Prestige, '06 VW Jetta, '01 Allroad, '87 TransAM

Deal I had on the RS4 intercoolers fell through and the seller ended up refunding me.

I have been searching around since with little success until I saw that SRM was having a sale on them ($699, which is $50 off the normal price) and pulled the trigger.

I guess this question has been resolved for me, SRM's should be plenty good for my goals and in the end I'm glad I opted for something better than the RS4's.

AZ Member #

Yay! I win! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12