Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

APR stage 2 on stock 2009 2.0T

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi fellows,

The time has come to get some more power on my A4! I'm looking for the APR stage 2 and maybe a different exhaust, or air filter. What peripherals do you recommend for a safe and efficient tune-up in the B8 2.0T?

Thanks,
    Dimos

Senior Member Three Rings Brandon K.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 S5 Sportback, Lexus RX400h... a nice appliance

For power, you donít need the full exhaust. It will just add a better sound track.

The stage 2 should be safe with no additional changes required. However if you want, there are still a few helpful mods that will augment the APR stage 2.

A new free flowing air filter and intake tube will add a little to throttle response and make it sound better (some turbo and intake sound with a little whistle now and again) without the constant annoying whistle that the free flowing intake can make on the K03 turbo.

DV+ will make the turbo spool noticeably quicker between shifts. I found this particularly more enjoyable when driving up hill with moderate throttle between shifts of my 8 speed auto. It had an annoying pause after each shift as the turbo had to rebuild from zero boost. This made the acceleration much smoother.

A larger intercooler will help you retain most of your new found power even when driving hard. The ECS intercooler is a good unit at a bargain price however the APR or Wagner units are better.

Finally a quality progressively controlled meth injection system dialed in properly for using the APR 100 octane file will turn the car into an animal anywhere below 5200 RPM. The K04 boys running 93 will have nothing on you till at least 4500 RPMs if not more like 5000 RPMs.

If you do all of those with your stage 2, you will have one hell of a strong daily driver. You will literally feel like you are driving a V8

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings Joshlc1988's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 a4 s line 6mt, 95 s10 zr2

You should take a good look at JH motorsports. I have their stage 1 93 octane tune and hfc pipe on my 06, totally transformed my car! Their tunes are newer and they continue to support our cars. It will walk apr tunes all day.

Established Member Two Rings Joshlc1988's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 a4 s line 6mt, 95 s10 zr2

I just realized you said b8 lol. I don't know if they do tuning for your model but if so they are a top notch company.

AZ Member #

Sounds great, thanks! I might go with the K&N, even though I cannot find information in their website... They only have the non-US models:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/app...ro&engine=2.0L

The DV+ replaces the valve of the diverter. What does the diverter do? Also, how much labor does it involve to install the DV+ valve?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-go-fast-.../gfbt9351~gfb/

Thanks a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joshlc1988 View Post
    I just realized you said b8 lol. I don't know if they do tuning for your model but if so they are a top notch company.
    Yes B8, thanks for the info though!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dimstamat View Post
    Sounds great, thanks! I might go with the K&N, even though I cannot find information in their website... They only have the non-US models:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/app...ro&engine=2.0L

The DV+ replaces the valve of the diverter. What does the diverter do? Also, how much labor does it involve to install the DV+ valve?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-go-fast-.../gfbt9351~gfb/

Thanks a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes B8, thanks for the info though!
    The K&N filters are a nice option, but be warned that some have had problems with the oil contaminating the mass air flow meter. Afe filters are a safer bet.

Labor on the DV+ in not all the hard, but it is a bit hard to reach from above. It is an alternate component that works with the stock valve to help hold boost between shifts. All turbo cars have a diverter valve or blow off valve. It prevents the turbo from suddenly slowing down and breaking when the throttle is closed. Do a web search on ďDV+Ē and you should find a good video enplaning what it does & how it works better than the stock one.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

i love what the GFP DV+ did to my 2011 2.0t A5.
    I highly recommend, even with an A/T....

link
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

AZ Member #

Nice, I'll take a look at the Afe filters! The DV+ looks awesome and I'll definitely give it a try!
    Right now they have 10% off for APR till Jan 31st! Can I buy the stage 1 and stage 2 online to get the discount and have them installed later at some point, or do I have to buy them through a tuning store and have them installed right away?
    For stage 2 they say "Downpipe or Turbo-Back Exhaust required to achieve advertised results".
    https://www.goapr.com/products/apr_e...pe_20t_b8.html
    Does this mean that without the downpipe the horsepower gain with stage 2 from stock will only be 277 - 40 = 237 hp? (they claim that the downpipe gives 40 hp).
    Do you recommend this part?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

To go to the stage 2, you will need a down pipe with either a high flow catalytic converter or a ďtest pipeĒ that has no converter. The stock down pipe gets too hot and is too restrictive to safely use the stage 2 tune. The rest of the free flowing exhaust is completely optional and will add little if anything to the power.

Keep in mind that running without a catalytic converter is illegal in most countries that require emission controls on cars. Replacing the stock cat with a higher flowing one is sometimes still considered illegal, but most places donít enforce it. California is about the worst place because they do a visual check under the hood and often fail cars for having a high flow cat.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yes I recommend going Stage 2 with a down pipe and/or high flow cat. It will make the car truly feel like something special. The low end torque is ridiculously powerful.

Established Member Two Rings Zoltar's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nuespeed intake. Upgraded DV. Unitronic Stage 2 DP catless resonator delete magnaflow exhaust. Dogbone poly subframe insert. 6 speed. Lists 270hp 300 tq.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

just be sure the rest of your motor is up to the task.....
    ...verify your timing chain, tensioner & guides are all in spec.....
    there are many documented instances of premature failures.... the wife's 2011 A4 included....
    Billy

1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    just be sure the rest of your motor is up to the task.....
    ...verify your timing chain, tensioner & guides are all in spec.....
    there are many documented instances of premature failures.... the wife's 2011 A4 included....
    I recently did the 75k service which is one of the biggest services and nothing seemed wrong! Do you think they would tell me if something was wrong with timing chain, tensioner, etc?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon K. View Post
    Yes I recommend going Stage 2 with a down pipe and/or high flow cat. It will make the car truly feel like something special. The low end torque is ridiculously powerful.

Awesome, will definitely do them! Thanks!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
    Nuespeed intake. Upgraded DV. Unitronic Stage 2 DP catless resonator delete magnaflow exhaust. Dogbone poly subframe insert. 6 speed. Lists 270hp 300 tq.

Is it on a b8 A4 2.0T? The APR website says you get 277HP with just APR stage 2 and a downpipe.

AZ Member #

Mines an 06 bpy fsi engine. A3 FWD

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by dimstamat View Post
    I recently did the 75k service which is one of the biggest services and nothing seemed wrong! Do you think they would tell me if something was wrong with timing chain, tensioner, etc?
    you should ask them....

Billy

1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon K. View Post
    For power, you donít need the full exhaust. It will just add a better sound track.

The stage 2 should be safe with no additional changes required. However if you want, there are still a few helpful mods that will augment the APR stage 2.

A new free flowing air filter and intake tube will add a little to throttle response and make it sound better (some turbo and intake sound with a little whistle now and again) without the constant annoying whistle that the free flowing intake can make on the K03 turbo.

DV+ will make the turbo spool noticeably quicker between shifts. I found this particularly more enjoyable when driving up hill with moderate throttle between shifts of my 8 speed auto. It had an annoying pause after each shift as the turbo had to rebuild from zero boost. This made the acceleration much smoother.

A larger intercooler will help you retain most of your new found power even when driving hard. The ECS intercooler is a good unit at a bargain price however the APR or Wagner units are better.

Finally a quality progressively controlled meth injection system dialed in properly for using the APR 100 octane file will turn the car into an animal anywhere below 5200 RPM. The K04 boys running 93 will have nothing on you till at least 4500 RPMs if not more like 5000 RPMs.

If you do all of those with your stage 2, you will have one hell of a strong daily driver. You will literally feel like you are driving a V8

Interesting...

I have Revo stage 2 with just a 3" testpipe with OEM downpipe and catback.

I mounted a TR8 IC but I had more lag and sold it. Except for tracks, I prefer the OEM or 3.0TDI IC, better throttle response.

Now, I want to change my testpipe for a HFC + downpipe all in 3". Any loss in power? The car now pulls great.

Do I really expect some gains with the GFB DV+? Mine is 6MT 2wd...

I want to install the WMI too but I'm not sure about the correct set up, injectors size... is the Snow performance stage 2 a good option?

The air filter is a good choice but I only use the dry ones but in Europe is very expensive to get the aFe, any other dry option?

Thanks in advance!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Necc View Post
    Interesting...

I have Revo stage 2 with just a 3" testpipe with OEM downpipe and catback.

I mounted a TR8 IC but I had more lag and sold it. Except for tracks, I prefer the OEM or 3.0TDI IC, better throttle response.

Now, I want to change my testpipe for a HFC + downpipe all in 3". Any loss in power? The car now pulls great.

Do I really expect some gains with the GFB DV+? Mine is 6MT 2wd...

I want to install the WMI too but I'm not sure about the correct set up, injectors size... is the Snow performance stage 2 a good option?

The air filter is a good choice but I only use the dry ones but in Europe is very expensive to get the aFe, any other dry option?

Thanks in advance!
    The HFC may slow your turboís spool slightly. The HFC can only hurt performance, not help it.

The GFB DV+ will help get the turbo spooled back up between shifts when you are driving it hard. This is done by it keeping the intake tract slightly pressurized between shifts. In my automotive trans car it was most noticeable under moderate acceleration. The lull in power between shifts became a fraction of what it once was. I suspect you will notice a difference with the manual, but donít have 1st hand experience. It probably would have been even more helpful with the larger intercooler.

I donít know of any other dry filters like the aFe... you could do an oiled one but there is a risk that it could damage the mass air flow meter.

There is nothing wrong the Snow stage 2 kit. I personally prefer the AEM controller because it is easy to ďdial inĒ while driving. I do not remember the size of nozzle that I used after the intercooler however the nozzle size that should be used for throttle body plate injection is 120ml.

AZ Member #

Thanks!!
    Now, I must think about what to do...

I need to install the HFC to pass MOT. I don't want but with the testpipe is impossible to pass it.
    Maybe, just adding a 3" downpipe with the HFC instead the OEM 2'5" can help a little, but I know that the most restrictive part is the one that closest to the turbo.

Anyway, the OEM turbo is small and maybe I can't tell much of a difference in power loss adding HFC, just the spool...we'll see it.

AZ Member #

Besides, I don't know if adding a drop in filter and inlet hose (modifing the air box) or an intake. Maybe, performance can be improved a little running stage 2. Opinions?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Necc View Post
    Besides, I don't know if adding a drop in filter and inlet hose (modifing the air box) or an intake. Maybe, performance can be improved a little running stage 2. Opinions?
    The filter and pipe helps a little bit to speed up the spool. Going from there to a full intake only adds additional sound (I am thinking about going back to the filter and pipe from my ECS carbon fiber intake). At low RPM on my K04 it sounds like a crappy 50s vacuum cleaner until around 3000rpm.

Are you asking about running a stage 2 tune or stage 2 meth?

AZ Member #

I wanted to say, if I can achieve some power increase with the intake.
    I'm running Revo stage 2 currently.

AZ Member #

I run a 3" dp cat delete res delete to a magnaflow muffler single outlet. Its a tad noisey on warm up and at cruise speed. May add a cat as the smell is there at start up and exiting the car. Does a resonator muffle sound or just help expel exhaust?

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    JSW TDI, 2010 XC90 V8, 2008 XC90 V8, 2009 XC90 V8 and 2005 XC90 V8 oh and Chrysler 200S

Just got mine installed, running IE Downpipe and APR S2 itís a powerhouse on E85 especially!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 B8.5 A4 Quattro ZF, E85-APR Stage 2, IE DP, S4 Brakes Ibis White.
    2010 Volvo XC90 V8 R-Design, Custom Exhaust, Bremobo brakes 330mm/all 4.