Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 2L MT, 87 Jag XJ6, Lex RX350, HD Street Rod, Grumman Yankee AA1A, Norton Commando 750

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm with you Okeydokey. I'm very ambidexterous between the Imperial and metric system. My undergraduate degree is in metallurgy and materials engineering at a time when in the US everything was still in English (or Imperial) units but transitioning to metric. After graduate school I worked in Germany for 5 years and quickly got used to the metric system, and agree that it makes sense for linear and volumetric measurements. But, to this day, I will say that for some of the more complex units like stress and pressure the accepted metric unit of the Pascal (newtons per square meter) has little practical meaning. Nobody thinks in terms of stress as Newtons (about 0.225 pounds force) spread out over the area of a square meter. Handy for building skyscrapers and dams I suppose but nonsensical for most small engineering structures. In contrast, everyone who has bought a loaf of bread knows what a pound is, and has some idea what a square inch is - very practical - psi! Retention of the Imperial system in the US is not a fight I would undertake or win as I think actually we should comply with the rest of the world regardless of how messed up some of the units are. It just takes some time to get used to it. It's a bit like the penny - why on Earth do we still have pennys in circulation. (A rhetorical question - please don't answer). Brillo

Senior Member Three Rings tloft4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i really want to answer but you forbade it....

metric is so much easier in general for sure but growing up very much surrounded by math/science, converting is also very easy. not that im saying it applies to people on here, but im sure a majority of the population cant do 1 inch --> cm or even possibly relate a meter to a millimeter

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tloft4 View Post

metric is so much easier in general for sure but growing up very much surrounded by math/science, converting is also very easy. not that im saying it applies to people on here, but im sure a majority of the population cant do 1 inch --> cm or even possibly relate a meter to a millimeter
    Yeah,I can work both ways easily and do often.I even know by heart: 1nm =6080 ft 1 statute mile =5280 ft correct me if I'm wrong ,I'm getting older,HDD is pretty full
    Apologies to op who started this thread-its been massively hi-jacked.
    Guten tag-Wolfgang's my name,I'm an Audi A4 B7 Q S-line with 6M in handsome avus silver complemented with Alzor 349's/Mich PS riding on Vogtland/Hypercoils,APR1 tune,USP cat/obx dp,034 bar/sd mounts,ceramic tint but hoping for more..
    Other Ride-Can't tell you my name because I'm pure stealth- Ford FG Turbo ​Ute in winter white (google me) tuned to 400hp,tuned ZF6HP26 trans,suspension and subtle aesthetic enhancements.Wolfie and I have never raced but I know who'd win !

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 2L MT, 87 Jag XJ6, Lex RX350, HD Street Rod, Grumman Yankee AA1A, Norton Commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by tloft4 View Post

You are a good soul tioft4. What I meant as the rhetorical question was concerning the penny. That would have been a furtherance of Ringsby4s most egregious thread highJacking. Hah!

Senior Member Three Rings tloft4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

oh i know, thats why i didnt address that point . its t L oft btw

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post
    You are a good soul tioft4. What I meant as the rhetorical question was concerning the penny. That would have been a furtherance of Ringsby4s most egregious thread highJacking. Hah!
    Haha,if I'm not incorrect this was all your (un)doing...started on post #29-I merely responded
    Guten tag-Wolfgang's my name,I'm an Audi A4 B7 Q S-line with 6M in handsome avus silver complemented with Alzor 349's/Mich PS riding on Vogtland/Hypercoils,APR1 tune,USP cat/obx dp,034 bar/sd mounts,ceramic tint but hoping for more..
    Other Ride-Can't tell you my name because I'm pure stealth- Ford FG Turbo ​Ute in winter white (google me) tuned to 400hp,tuned ZF6HP26 trans,suspension and subtle aesthetic enhancements.Wolfie and I have never raced but I know who'd win !

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ringsby4 View Post
    Haha,if I'm not incorrect this was all your (un)doing...started on post #29-I merely responded
    Mea culpa! Next time I'll keep my pie hole shut on these matters even though I feel I was bated into the discussion and merely providing cogent advice of national consequence to some of the most important people in Australia, those on Audizine!!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post
    Mea culpa! Next time I'll keep my pie hole shut on these matters even though I feel I was bated into the discussion and merely providing cogent advice of national consequence to some of the most important people in Australia, those on Audizine!!
    Mate,its turned into an interesting discussion.I've learned things which I almost always do on here
    Great community we have ! Cheers

Edit: Also Pie-Hole=Cake Hole over here (or way way worse ) lol
    I guess its from the British imperious Queen who said in the middle ages when told the starving peasants had no bread to eat, "let them eat cake "
    No fuel concerns in those days...
    Last edited by Ringsby4; 01-13-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2008 Audi s2.0T quattro 350,000+ kms, no mods.

87 octane for 90% of its life, 10% 91 octane. Mostly Co-op fuel.

Runs good enough for us with mostly flat highway and city use. Recent first carbon cleaning performed that cleared a few codes.

Do not see a major noticeable difference with either, but it is not pushed to the nuts either. Just our experience.......

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanx

I do, what I can do, when I can do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12