Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

DIS and Turn Signal Stalk Retrofit

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am trying to add trip computer functionality to my 2011 A4 Premium-.

I had the coding done to enable the Driver Information System, and it works, with the instrument cluster menu appearing in the car menu of the infotainment system. I wanted to be able to switch to the digital speedometer and efficiency program, so I swapped over to turn signal stalks with the rocker switch and reset button (Part number: 8K0 953 502 BK). I kept my original clock spring/steering position sensor (Part number 8K0953568F) and swapped it over to the new stalks. I reinstalled everything, and the rocker switch and reset button still don't work.

Does anyone have an idea about why the buttons don't work?

Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings Gunnark100's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pieman123 View Post
    I am trying to add trip computer functionality to my 2011 A4 Premium-.

I had the coding done to enable the Driver Information System, and it works, with the instrument cluster menu appearing in the car menu of the infotainment system. I wanted to be able to switch to the digital speedometer and efficiency program, so I swapped over to turn signal stalks with the rocker switch and reset button (Part number: 8K0 953 502 BK). I kept my original clock spring/steering position sensor (Part number 8K0953568F) and swapped it over to the new stalks. I reinstalled everything, and the rocker switch and reset button still don't work.

Does anyone have an idea about why the buttons don't work?

Thanks!
    Avant or sedan?
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+(Street view incl.)/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ Basic sound(8) upgrade to "ASS"(9+1) + B/O Sub(in sidepanel)/Tweeters + Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Its a base sedan with the 6MT

AZ Member #

Its a base sedan with the 6MT
    Not sure is there difference in wiring(pinouts), but BK version is for avant if catalogue is correct(with rear wiper option PR-7Y0,7Y1+
    8T1+9Q2,9Q4,9Q7,9Q8)!
    Retrofits: FL taillights / MMI 3G & 3G+(Street view incl.)/ Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster/ BiXenon/ ADS Lite
    Other: ECU Tune/ VCDS Tweaks/ FL Gearknob/ Soundproofing/ Interior 6D Carbon Wrap/ Rieger Rep Front Bumper Valance/ Basic sound(8) upgrade to "ASS"(9+1) + B/O Sub(in sidepanel)/Tweeters + Activsub/ Efficiency Prog via Cluster & Gateway flash/ Sideskirts/ Window Tint/ Wsp Peeler reps/ License plate & Interior leds

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I realized after buying that these stalks are for the avant, but it seems that the only actual difference is the mechanism that allows it to go into the rear wiper "on" position. The circuit boards for both seem almost identical. On the switch that controls the intermittent wiper speed, the two stalks are functionally the same. All of the other wiper functions work correctly, and if I push it back it just seems that nothing happens.

Veteran Member Four Rings B G 8er's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Quattro Premium 6MT, 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen SEL Gone: 2013 Q5 2.0 Prem.

Thought about adding this to my sedan as well (2011 Premium base). Please let us know if you get this worked out and proper part numbers.
    2011 A4 B8 Quattro 6MT, Ice Silver
    led - xeon headlight mod, RS4 Replica grille, A4L fog grilles, side blades, rear lip, Stratmosphere Hyper Shift short throw shifter, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, sways & end-links, Stasis Ohlins coilovers, Neuspeed RSE14's 19x9 ET40, Llumar 40 percent tint, RS4 pedals, black self dim mirror w/compass, saftey triangle w/bracket, luggage net, VAG COM.

AZ Member #

I realized after buying that these stalks are for the avant, but it seems that the only actual difference is the mechanism that allows it to go into the rear wiper "on" position. The circuit boards for both seem almost identical. On the switch that controls the intermittent wiper speed, the two stalks are functionally the same. All of the other wiper functions work correctly, and if I push it back it just seems that nothing happens.
    Yep, they are "almost" same, but i cant comment is "linbus" setup same for both or not. Two guys who did this on sedan used BD version. Coding should be simple just activating dis under steering module, but just for test there is bit for avant rear wiper also, so try enable this also!

Which modules you coded for DIS?
    Last edited by Gunnark100; 01-05-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I did this retrofit. You need to have the correct stalk - the avant is different. Take a look through this thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...MMI3G-Retrofit and here: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/ProjectSteeringSwap.html

The p/n is 8K0953502BD. There is some coding involved after you install the correct stalk, seems like you put in the avant version which wont work.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

What coding is needed? I already did the following coding I had seen elsewhere along with enabling the DIS.

17 Instruments, Byte 1, bit 2

56 Radio, Byte 9, bit 6

Is there more coding that needs to be done?

AZ Member #

What coding is needed? I already did the following coding I had seen elsewhere along with enabling the DIS.

17 Instruments, Byte 1, bit 2

56 Radio, Byte 9, bit 6

Is there more coding that needs to be done?
    Also steering vcds address 16, byte 2 bit 1 and for avant was also bit 0

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thank you SO much! That was all I needed to get it to work. Even with the avant stalks it is now working perfectly.

AZ Member #

Thank you SO much! That was all I needed to get it to work. Even with the avant stalks it is now working perfectly.
    Well done, myth busted

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So it turns out there is a bit more to this. Earlier today, I was driving and the EPC light came on. It turned out to be a code relating to the cruise control module. I tried it and it turned out that it was no longer working. My original long coding for module 16 (steering) was 0014. I changed it to 0013, per your advice, and it had made the stalks work, however with my sedan, it also caused cruse control to malfunction. Changing it back to 0014 made the EPC light go away and cruise control functionality to return. I decided to play around with different codings and for me 0016 (setting byte 2 bits 1 and 2) made both the trip computer controls and the cruise control stalks work with the EPC light off.

I hope this helps anyone looking to do this swap in the future.

AZ Member #

No idea how your oem coding can go lower(from 14 to 13) if you enabled bit1 as it must go higher always, but all works it is main thing!

My one is same as yours + i have bit 0 enabled, as it is avant so i have +1(000017)!

http://i.imgur.com/jYWJ7YM.png
    Attached Images

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I originally had only bit 2 and 4 checked, but then to get 000013, changed it to bit 0, 1, and 4 checked. As of right now 000016 seems to be working correctly with no errors. Do you know why the avant needs to have bit 0 checked and the sedan doesn't?

AZ Member #

I originally had only bit 2 and 4 checked, but then to get 000013, changed it to bit 0, 1, and 4 checked. As of right now 000016 seems to be working correctly with no errors. Do you know why the avant needs to have bit 0 checked and the sedan doesn't?
    I only ment to enable bit 1 and 0(0 just in case), nothing needed to be uncheck or to get 000013! Bit 0 is for rear wiper(avant)!

If you had 14, after you enable bit1 value would be 16!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Quattro Premium 6MT, 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen SEL Gone: 2013 Q5 2.0 Prem.

I recently posted this question in the classifieds section since if this part is incorrect for my car, I prefer to sell it to someone who can make good use of it and just purchase the proper part but have received very little feedback (other than from a couple of other members wondering the same thing).

I acquired this multi function switch/stalk off a US, 2016 B8.5 A4 sedan from another member. He swears it will also work with my 2011 B8 sedan but I prefer not to have to pull everything apart multiple times and experiment to find out that it is not compatible. My trusted Audi Mechanic Guru doesn't think it will be compatible. Part number (pictured here below) is #4G8 953 502 AA vs the one others have consistently posted as working on the 2009-2012 B8 sedan as 8K0 953 502 BD.

Any knowledge on this appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    led - xeon headlight mod, RS4 Replica grille, A4L fog grilles, side blades, rear lip, Stratmosphere Hyper Shift short throw shifter, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, sways & end-links, Stasis Ohlins coilovers, Neuspeed RSE14's 19x9 ET40, Llumar 40 percent tint, RS4 pedals, black self dim mirror w/compass, saftey triangle w/bracket, luggage net, VAG COM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Anyone?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

From the experimentation that I have done, these stalks should be able to work for your car.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the B8 and B8.5 stalks are inter-compatible. Right now on my 2011 P- B8, I have stalks from a 2013 Premium Plus B8.5 and they function exactly as they should. I assume you are planning to move your current clock spring to the new stalks, and if you are, it is almost completely certain that the stalks will be compatible, as the clock spring is the device that interfacing with the car; the stalks are very simple components.

If you have a P-, you will need to change the coding, as was discussed above, to get the DIS functionality.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

From the experimentation that I have done, these stalks should be able to work for your car.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the B8 and B8.5 stalks are inter-compatible. Right now on my 2011 P- B8, I have stalks from a 2013 Premium Plus B8.5 and they function exactly as they should. I assume you are planning to move your current clock spring to the new stalks, and if you are, it is almost completely certain that the stalks will be compatible, as the clock spring is the device that interfacing with the car; the stalks are very simple components.

If you have a P-, you will need to change the coding, as was discussed above, to get the DIS functionality.
    Thanks pieman 123 for your reply. The other member I purchased the part from swears it will be compatible, even though it came off his 2016 B8.5 A4. I haven't pulled my wheel yet but from the images of the B8 stalk I've seen on-line, the two parts do look mechanically identical but what I am noticing is that the arms themselves on the B8.5 stalk are styled/cosmetically different, hence perhaps the only reason for the part number change from 8K0 953 502 BD to 4G8 953 502 AA? However, you are saying your stalk came off a 13 B8.5? Did you end up changing to a third stalk? Reason I ask, in your original post #1 in this thread, you mentioned you had purchased the 8K0 953 502 BD 4pk that others have used for the B8. However, then in post #5, you mentioned you had purchased one from an Avant. There was no 2013 B8.5 Avant for the US market, unless your stalk was from a 2013 B8.5 Allroad? Also, noticing on the ECS Tuning site, they state the 8K0 953 502 BD stalk as fitting b8 sedans through 2012 with color display. I don't have the color display but I am assuming that won't make a difference with these switches?

Yes, I was planning to switch over my original B8 clock spring/angle sensor to the new stalk.
    Last edited by B G 8er; 09-10-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yes sorry, I should have clarified that. Due to some unrelated messing around with my clock spring, I broke the one that was originally in my car.

I had swapped it over to the new stalks with no problem (just remember to leave it perfectly centered and DO NOT try turning the clock spring while its not on the car), but then broke it while messing around with it later. I saw this new stalk set from the 2013 sedan that was being sold with a working clock spring included. I decided to buy it, as I wanted sedan stalks and personally prefer the quality of the B8.5 stalks.

The only difference I noticed while installing it was the physical shape of the stalks themselves. Everything else fit as expected. The part number for my new stalks is 8K0 953 568 L. The original stalks that my car came with had the part number 8K0 953 502 BK. I don't understand why these parts seem to all have vastly different part numbers (I don't understand why the 2016 stalks that you have are a different part number than my 2013 ones, as they appear to be completely identical).

The display that the car comes with won't affect how the stalks work or which ones will fit. If you are installing stalks to gain the DIS controls, you will need to change the VAG COM coding to enable any functions that the original car did not have.

I hope this clears it up.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Except looks like your 8K0 953 568 L is the part number for your replacement clock spring, not the stalk The stalk should have it's own separate part number and if it's from a 2013 B8.5, I'm going to take an educated guess and say it's the same or close to the B8.5 stalk I have, which is the 4G8 953 502 AA. Maybe what you are saying is that the individual that you purchased it from had already done the same retrofit and switched to the B8.5 stalk on a B8? Or perhaps they were able to use a B8 clock spring on a B8.5??

Not sure if you have any way to tell the actual part number of your current stalk since it is installed but if it has these B8.5 style arms vs the B8 arms, that is a promising sign.

B8.5 Style Arms:

B8 Style Arms:

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My mistake, I forgot to take a picture of the actual stalk part number. Even with the B8.5 clock spring and the same B8.5 stalks that you have, it functions perfectly in my B8. My stalks and clock spring came together out of a 2013 B8.5. It should be safe to go ahead and install the new stalks because the fitment is exactly the same as the B8 stalks and the electronics inside are identical.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

But 8K0 953 568 L is clearly a B8 Clock spring? So do your levers on your current stalk look like the B8.5 versions pictured in my previous post? They are angled at the ends and do not have that curved sculpture to the inside of the text on the two larger levers.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

That clock spring was installed in both B8 and B8.5 as this revision was made from 2012-2016. My current stalks that I have in the car are identical to the B8.5 stalks from your previous post. I prefer how they look and feel in the car, as the mechanism feels of a higher quality than the original rounded B8 stalks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That clock spring was installed in both B8 and B8.5 as this revision was made from 2012-2016. My current stalks that I have in the car are identical to the B8.5 stalks from your previous post. I prefer how they look and feel in the car, as the mechanism feels of a higher quality than the original rounded B8 stalks.
    This is really cool. Thanks for all your help. Looks like it's worth moving forward then. Not sure if I'm going to swap it myself or let my Mechanic do it. With my luck, I do what you do and mess up my clock spring. LOL.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

No problem! It is a fairly straightforward swap as long as you have some basic tools. DaveB8 has a great guide on how to swap the stalks at AudiEnthusiasts (https://www.audienthusiasts.com/Proj...eringSwap.html). After the stalks are out, removing the clock spring from the stalks only requires a T20 or T15 (I cant remember which) screwdriver to remove one screw, and then unclip the clips around the side of the clock spring.

The clock spring has a brake mechanism inside so it will stay centered unless you press down a button and actively try to spin it (there is some play in the mechanism, so it will rotate a few degrees with the brake still engaged, don't worry about this, as it will be centered into the correct location once you reinstall the steering wheel).

Good luck with the swap!