Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

B7 S4 Timing Chains Progress

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Started doing this a little over a month ago. I have only been doing it maybe 1-2 days a week because of work but man has this process been a great deal of knowledge and fun. Iíve learned this car inside and out and have loved every second of it. I used Joey Cucarroís motor pull diy to get the engine out but the timing has mainly been done off of any info I can find on the internet.

Also I am working in a tiny ass garage lol so itís been really tough.

From the start:

Bumper/radiator off and hoses disconnected:

I couldnít stand how dirty the front of the motor was so I scrubbed it after work every day for a few hours:

Trying to get the cv axle off the passenger side I stripped a bolt... I have no idea how I got the thing off but you can tell I hated my life just by looking at the bolt lol.

Motor finally free of the car and in the air:

Motor and trans completely out and on my little homemade carts:

This is what I like to call the ďtangle of hellĒ. So much going on in the back of the motor:

The back of the motor free of all the pipes and wires and the trans disconnected:

Empty engine bay:

Timing covers off:

One of the broken guides:

Another broken guide:

This one was completely broken:

This one was cracked all the way through on the back side:

All new guides, tensioners, and hardware.

I didnít take a pic because I forgot, but I pulled apart both cam adjusters to check for wallowing and I was surprised to see that they were hardly worn at all.

I cleaned the timing covers today and this is as far as I have gotten:

I am hoping to have the timing covers sealed as well as the motor and trans bolted back up together by the end of tomorrow. I will update on progress but it has been a slow process for me being that itís my first time doing something like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Awesome work. Did you have a how to guide for removing the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 BMW X5 4.4i V8

updates??????

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 Passat Wagon 4motion, Mk2 Jetta Gli Vr6 Swap

joey.ward i have to say your a better man than me i picked up a RS6 4.2tt to do a swap in my 03 Passat and was thinking about doing the timing myself cause ive done a few vr6s in my day and now after seeing your work an the back of the motor i dont have the room or enough no how on 4.2s to take on a job like this at lease with out someones help. Lol So good job so far look forward to you finishing it up and i think i'll be posting a thread looking for someone in my area i could pay to take on my timing job lol