Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings AUDacIouS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4 Stasis

KW coilovers/H&R sway bars/Vossen wheels = denied warranty

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Car: 2015 Allroad, CPO, 56,000 miles

My 2015 Allroad is in service bay at Audi Mission Viejo in Orange County, CA. I've been there many times and always see many modified Audi's in for service. This time however, the service manager took one look at my car and said there is no way Audi would warranty a wheel bearing because I have coilovers and aftermarket wheels. There is a TSB 401655 for Audi wheel bearing failure that I brought to their attention and they still won't do anything. So Audi's new stance is that aftermarket wheels/tires. Suspension components equate to denied warranty claims?
    Basically my CPO warranty is worthless now? You know as well as I do that if a $75 wheel bearing won't get covered under warranty NOTHING will.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app
    2010 S4: Stasis Touring
    2015 Allroad GIAC E85/APR FMIC/ECS intake/034 HFC, driveline inserts, UCA's/KW V3/H&R sways/20x10 Vossen x Work VWS1

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AUDacIouS4 View Post
    Car: 2015 Allroad, CPO, 56,000 miles

My 2015 Allroad is in service bay at Audi Mission Viejo in Orange County, CA. I've been there many times and always see many modified Audi's in for service. This time however, the service manager took one look at my car and said there is no way Audi would warranty a wheel bearing because I have coilovers and aftermarket wheels. There is a TSB 401655 for Audi wheel bearing failure that I brought to their attention and they still won't do anything. So Audi's new stance is that aftermarket wheels/tires. Suspension components equate to denied warranty claims?
    Basically my CPO warranty is worthless now? You know as well as I do that if a $75 wheel bearing won't get covered under warranty NOTHING will.

Thank you for reaching out and for providing the details on your experience. I can certainly understand how this situation might be frustrating for you, especially if you performed research to determine if a particular TSB can resolve the concerns you are experiencing. If you'd like for me to look into this matter further for you I am happy to do so. If you can send over a PM with your VIN and contact information I will be able to perform some additional research for you with our warranty department. I will advise you however that the decision is unlikely to change as our dealerships are in the best position to uphold the warranty policy laid out for CPO vehicles. Please let me know if you have any questions and again thank you for making us aware.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Established Member Three Rings DufraineMK6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Monsoon S4 6MT

My feeling is that even with a warranty, getting work done is a hassle. Iíve been denied twice for the tsb regarding the timing chain tensioner. They have to duplicate my rear cam issue, even though Iíve showed them videos. Oh and I canít even get a loaner at my dealership atm due to recent recalls. I mean what did they think would happen. Their game is weak at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    14 S4 6MT - Sport Diff / H&R Street Performance Coilovers / CW Pro Stage 2 (6-1) 93/E85 Mix / JHM 179mm Crank Pulley (1300mm 7 Rib Belt) / ECS Tuning Flush Kit 10mm F & 12.5mm R / 034 Motorsports Intake Tube W/ AFE Pro Dry Filter / USP Stainless Steel Clutch Line / AWE Touring 102mm Stock Downpipes / Eurocode Trans Mount

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4 Stasis

Audi south coast in Santa Ana gladly fixed my wheel bearing issue. It just depends in the dealer.

2015 Allroad GIAC E85/APR FMIC/ECS intake/034 HFC, driveline inserts, UCA's/KW V3/H&R sways/20x10 Vossen x Work VWS1

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Times have definitely changed. Early on, my S5 had a bad motor mount and Audi at first declined the warranty fix because of my Stasis tune. Eventually either Audi or Stasis agreed to cover for the work. With my recent Q5 2.0, we were declined on the 2nd phase of the oil consumption fix (piston and rings) due to the car being flagged TD1 for a Stasis tune. Even though the oil consumption issue was a known issue, they declined the warranty work at the 3 dealerships I went to. What was awkward about the situation was that at each dealership, they agreed to do Phase 1 of the fix under warranty.

Established Member Three Rings DufraineMK6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Monsoon S4 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by manguyen View Post
    Times have definitely changed. Early on, my S5 had a bad motor mount and Audi at first declined the warranty fix because of my Stasis tune. Eventually either Audi or Stasis agreed to cover for the work. With my recent Q5 2.0, we were declined on the 2nd phase of the oil consumption fix (piston and rings) due to the car being flagged TD1 for a Stasis tune. Even though the oil consumption issue was a known issue, they declined the warranty work at the 3 dealerships I went to. What was awkward about the situation was that at each dealership, they agreed to do Phase 1 of the fix under warranty.
    Exactly. Iíve heard similar stories. Itís hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    14 S4 6MT - Sport Diff / H&R Street Performance Coilovers / CW Pro Stage 2 (6-1) 93/E85 Mix / JHM 179mm Crank Pulley (1300mm 7 Rib Belt) / ECS Tuning Flush Kit 10mm F & 12.5mm R / 034 Motorsports Intake Tube W/ AFE Pro Dry Filter / USP Stainless Steel Clutch Line / AWE Touring 102mm Stock Downpipes / Eurocode Trans Mount

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'll be the first to admit that Audi doesn't pay for warranty repairs unless they have to (mine was a B6 S4 timing chain failure they refused to cover) but I can't say they're at fault here. There's no way you can expect Audi to cover a wheel bearing when you put aftermarket parts on which reduce the life of the given component. You put coilovers with a much higher than stock spring rate and aggressive damping on the car along with enormous wheels (I'm guessing they have a more aggressive offset than stock?). Do you really expect wheel bearings to last with 20's regardless of whether there is a TSB?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4 Stasis

Quote Originally Posted by tmorgan4 View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that Audi doesn't pay for warranty repairs unless they have to (mine was a B6 S4 timing chain failure they refused to cover) but I can't say they're at fault here. There's no way you can expect Audi to cover a wheel bearing when you put aftermarket parts on which reduce the life of the given component. You put coilovers with a much higher than stock spring rate and aggressive damping on the car along with enormous wheels (I'm guessing they have a more aggressive offset than stock?). Do you really expect wheel bearings to last with 20's regardless of whether there is a TSB?
    Yes I do expect the wheel bearing to last. The service manager said wheels and coilovers dont affect anything. The wheel bearings don't fail because of those components, only if you hit a huge pothole or a curb will you toast a wheel bearing. Audi sells ABT wheels, coilovers, and sway bars for any car at your dealer, just ask. That same wheel bearing is used in 3 different chassis and 8 fifferent models so the change in spring rate and suspension geometry is a moot point.