Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Uncle Buck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '10 VW GTI, '13 Audi Q5 2.0T, '15 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock

Sirius pre-sets lost when channels updated

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi,

When Sirius updates the channel lineup, the pre-sets on my wife's 2013 Q5 are lost and have to be re-entered. This happens several times per year and is extremely frustrating. Is there a TSB to prevent this or is there technical reason this happens?? I'm happy to send the VIN, etc. when you are back in the office. This does not happen in my GTI or in my Jeep. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Hi,

When Sirius updates the channel lineup, the pre-sets on my wife's 2013 Q5 are lost and have to be re-entered. This happens several times per year and is extremely frustrating. Is there a TSB to prevent this or is there technical reason this happens?? I'm happy to send the VIN, etc. when you are back in the office. This does not happen in my GTI or in my Jeep. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Good morning Uncle Buck,

Thanks for reaching out and making me aware of this particular situation. I hope that everything has been going well for you since we last touched base! Do you mind sending over the VIN and contact information for me to look into this further? First I want to see if there is a particular TSB and if this behavior originates from Sirius itself or your wife's Q5. Thanks again and look forward to hearing back from you.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

AZ Member #
    My Garage

PM sent - Thank you Vincenzo.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Iím having the exact same problem with my 2013 S4. Iíve lost my presets twice in the past week. Very frustrating.
    2013 Estoril Blue S4 | DSG | Carbon Inlays | Sport Diff | B&O | Black Nappa | 3M Clear Bra | 50% tint | Deval Diffuser | Lamin-x tail light tint | AWE touring + res downpipes | Bilstein B12 pro kit | AWE intake

2014 SQ5 (wife's ride)

Senior Member Two Rings kpykng1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Had the same thing happen on my SQ too. Sirius updated its' playlist cause they cancelled there holiday channels so it rearranges the channel numbers. CH70 was Holly, now it's Love for Valentine's day coming up. BAH...
    2014 SQ5 Ibis White / EPL Stage 1 - 22" Touren TF01 - E-Codes - AWE Touring w/resonated downpipes - KW SC Coilovers - 034 Motorsports Rear Swaybar w/ endlinks

2017 MINI Cooper Countryman S

Veteran Member Four Rings Crucible35's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13 Lawnmower Prem. Quattro

Sounds like a Sirius thing. I've lost my presets several times over the past few weeks. 2015 A4. In Canada.
    '15 A4 S Line Q Tip Monsoon
    '09 A4 Premium Q Tip Meteor (Gone)

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hi,

Hello everyone,

I was able to get some updated information from our technology and product support teams after a little bit of research. There currently is not a TSB or other active measure that exists for this particular concern. The problem is not necessarily the software in the MMI system, it is the update from Sirius XM itself. When the update comes in with the refreshed slate of channels, it will forcibly perform a reset on your current saved channels because technically one of your previous saved channels could now be something completely different. Regrettably, there's nothing that either myself or an Audi dealership can do to remedy this concern moving forward.

OF course if you wish you are able to contact the folks over at Sirius XM to see if they are able to change this feature to leave the presets alone, but I don't know how far that will get you. I apologize, as I know this would drive me crazy as well but hopefully this at least provides some clarity as to why this exists. Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Thank you,
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have had the channels update twice in the past few weeks and if just do not try and change the channel and let it do the update no presets were reset. This was on a 2016 allRoad.
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Hello everyone,

I was able to get some updated information from our technology and product support teams after a little bit of research. There currently is not a TSB or other active measure that exists for this particular concern. The problem is not necessarily the software in the MMI system, it is the update from Sirius XM itself. When the update comes in with the refreshed slate of channels, it will forcibly perform a reset on your current saved channels because technically one of your previous saved channels could now be something completely different. Regrettably, there's nothing that either myself or an Audi dealership can do to remedy this concern moving forward.

OF course if you wish you are able to contact the folks over at Sirius XM to see if they are able to change this feature to leave the presets alone, but I don't know how far that will get you. I apologize, as I know this would drive me crazy as well but hopefully this at least provides some clarity as to why this exists. Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Thank you,
    Thanks for the quick turn around Vincenzo. I will follow up with Sirius and post back here if I find anything pertinent.

Update - I was on the phone with Sirius XM for 45 minutes - They indicated it is an Audi hardware problem but cannot (or will not) send me an email confirming this. 3rd level escalation - Very frustrating.

Vincenzo - Can you have the AoA Product Manager for the Sirius XM relationship call or email me directly at the contact info I provided in my PM - Thanks!

Scott
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 01-03-2018 at 09:27 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Vincenzo - Please see my edited post above - Thanks!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 VW Sportwagen Diesel

Thanks for the quick turn around Vincenzo. I will follow up with Sirius and post back here if I find anything pertinent.

Update - I was on the phone with Sirius XM for 45 minutes - They indicated it is an Audi hardware problem but cannot (or will not) send me an email confirming this. 3rd level escalation - Very frustrating.

Vincenzo - Can you have the AoA Product Manager for the Sirius XM relationship call or email me directly at the contact info I provided in my PM - Thanks!

Scott
    I believe it is an Audi problem. My wife has a VW Golf Sport Wagen with the MIB 1 system. I just asked her if she lost her presets when Sirius XM update teh channel lineups and she did not. If VW can write software, perhaps the Audi guys should give them a call and ask them how they did it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ManyAudis View Post
    I believe it is an Audi problem. My wife has a VW Golf Sport Wagen with the MIB 1 system. I just asked her if she lost her presets when Sirius XM update teh channel lineups and she did not. If VW can write software, perhaps the Audi guys should give them a call and ask them how they did it.
    Agreed - As stated above, neither my GTI or Jeep Wrangler (w/ nav, etc) lose presets. It would be one thing if only the temporary channels (such as Holly, etc) were overwritten, but all presets are wiped out regardless if that channel was affected by the update or not.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Scott
    Anything ever come from this? Did Audi get in touch with you per your request?
    2013 Estoril Blue S4 | DSG | Carbon Inlays | Sport Diff | B&O | Black Nappa | 3M Clear Bra | 50% tint | Deval Diffuser | Lamin-x tail light tint | AWE touring + res downpipes | Bilstein B12 pro kit | AWE intake

2014 SQ5 (wife's ride)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MN Blue S4 View Post
    Anything ever come from this? Did Audi get in touch with you per your request?
    Vincenzo has stayed in touch. I have not spoken to the Product Manager yet. I just upgraded the subscription on the Q5 to match the other two vehicles. If this doesn't solve the issue, I'll escalate. I'm convinced it's a hard ware issue as my Jeep and VW are not effected.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

This has happened to me twice in my S4 since my last post. Oddly, my wife's 2014 SQ5 has never lost her presets.

2014 SQ5 (wife's ride)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Happened to me 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I made sure to wait for the update to complete the 2nd and 3rd time because I lost my presets the first time. Did not lose them the 2nd and 3rd time but had to reboot MMI to get volume control to work. Very annoying!

AZ Member #

Extremely frustrating. Has never happened on any of my Sirius cars in the past (Porsche, Jeep, BMW, Infiniti) - so has to be MMI issue.
    --
    2016 SQ5 Sepang Blue....8mm/12.5mm ECS Spacers....AWE Touring Exhaust (Black Tips)

2018 S4 Daytona Gray....AWE Touring Exhaust (Black Tips)

Ex Cars:
    2013 BMW X6 50i
    2010 Jeep SRT8
    1997 Land Rover Defender D90

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Just happened to me this week. Did not happen in my wifeís Ď18 Volvo. Sooo annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Here's my report after last week's Sirius update - My 2015 Jeep's all reset, my VW's did not and as far as I can tell, this time my wife's 2013 Q5's were retained. I'm done trying to hunt it down. The only constant is that the 2010 VW has never reset (Unless the battery was disconnected).

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This has happened to me three or four times now in just a few months having my CPO '13 S5, it's highly correlated with getting updates, but I'm not sure its 100%. The first few satellite presets tend to survive. It's not stations that are changing their channel number, and it doesn't happen in our Subaru, and never happened with the aftermarket receiver I had in my A4. This is clearly a problem on the Audi MMI end, perhaps getting triggered by a change in the way Sirius sends updates.

Whatever the case, Audi saying it isn't their problem to solve is frustrating to see.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Celeus View Post
    Whatever the case, Audi saying it isn't their problem to solve is frustrating to see.
    It is - A few lines of code would fix it.

AZ Member #

I doubt its a Sirius issue myself.

I have had a few presets disappear myself. Even after I reset them, they are gone a day later. I reset them again, and then they stay for several days and are gone again. It started happening at the same time my sound settings started all resetting to neutral every time I shut the car off. I also have a situation where if I shut the car off with my favorite XM station on, when I restart the car it always starts with the same song on the SD card - even though I wasn't listening to the SD card......

All of this pretty much started happening at the same time. The MMI is losing it's mind, and despite where I look between here and Audiworld, nobody has a solution. Even Audi.

FYI I just had my battery changed in hopes of it changing the reference voltage, but it did nothing to fix the issue. I guess I'll trek 1:15 away to my dealership to have them reflash the MMI when they do my airbag recall in hopes anything changes.

I'm not holding my breath.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

This has happened to me multiple times in various models with the 3G+ MMI. This last weekend, in my wife's '17 Q5, the Sirius channels list updated and we lost all presets. As we were driving, I did a reset of the MMI and all of the presets were back when it booted back up.
    2015 6MT S4, EPL Stage 2
    Previous: 2010 6MT S4, APR Stage 2

Established Member Two Rings Greenster's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The same thing happens in my 2010 C6 w/the newer, better MMI system, so I am of the Camp that it is an MMI thing. If there's a fix, please let us know. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my F3213 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings Greenster's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bandit01 View Post
    I doubt its a Sirius issue myself.

I have had a few presets disappear myself. Even after I reset them, they are gone a day later. I reset them again, and then they stay for several days and are gone again. It started happening at the same time my sound settings started all resetting to neutral every time I shut the car off. I also have a situation where if I shut the car off with my favorite XM station on, when I restart the car it always starts with the same song on the SD card - even though I wasn't listening to the SD card......

All of this pretty much started happening at the same time. The MMI is losing it's mind, and despite where I look between here and Audiworld, nobody has a solution. Even Audi.

FYI I just had my battery changed in hopes of it changing the reference voltage, but it did nothing to fix the issue. I guess I'll trek 1:15 away to my dealership to have them reflash the MMI when they do my airbag recall in hopes anything changes.

I'm not holding my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenster View Post
    The same thing happens in my 2010 C6 w/the newer, better MMI system, so I am of the Camp that it is an MMI thing. If there's a fix, please let us know. Thank you in advance.

Oh, yes, actually mine is also the 3G MMI.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you,
    Just wanted to chime in here that this is happening on my wife's 2013 Audi Q7 as well, and quite frequently. Does not happen on our other vehicles, when an update is pushed. Are there any updates on this? Thanks!

Established Member Two Rings VPI's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Audi S4, 2016 Subaru Forester XT, 2017 BMW R1200GS

It was happening all the time with the S4, so when I had the oil changed I mentioned it and the service advisor told me there was a software update to the head unit that mentioned the presets being lost. They applied and I do not think it has happened since. It has happened on the 2018 SQ5 once in the month and a half I have owned it.
    2018 SQ5 | Prestige | Daytona Pearl | S Sport | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Steering | Magma Red Nappa | 21" Wheel Package | Carbon Atlas Inlay
    2015 S4 | Premium + | Sepang Blue | Sports Diff | Tech Package | Nappa | Carbon Inlay | H&R OE | HRE 19x9.5 FF01

Registered Member One Ring HankJ's Avatar
    AZ Member #

happens to my 2015 A8l as well.

Active Member Two Rings ctautoart's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This happens on my 2013 Audi A6 also with MMI 3G+. There is a thread about this in the C7 forums as well, and it seems to be a common issue. My Dad has a 2018 Ford Expedition and a 2013 Ford Mustang, and both cars have never reset the Sirius Presets as far as I know.
    2013 Audi A6 Prestige
    Phantom Black Pearl | Nougat Brown | LED Headlights | Coldweather PKG | 20" Sport PKG Wheels and 3 spoke heated steering wheel | Continental DWS 06 Tires | Ebay "Rings" Puddle Lights | Aluminum Ebay Paddle Extensions | AWE Touring Exhaust On Order |