Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    Manual meaning, 1) crack the bleeder, 2) step on brakes, 3) close bleeder, 4) release brakes, 5) repeat?
    Is the ABS test something you do via VAG-Com? I've got the tool but I don't know if I have a working Windows laptop any more.
    yes via VCDS. I think Carista may allow it. Be worthwhile to check on that in your situation. If you run the reservoir dry or get bubbles up top you have to do this.

I've gotten lucky the past few caliper changes I've done by literally having the new caliper sitting right next to the old one ready to hot swap over. I keep the reservoir full. I hot swap the line over to the new one (or hot swap the new line over to the old one if you are replacing the lines) and then I bleed that caliper right there just a bit making sure I go back up top to check that too much fluid isnt draining out of the reservoir. I'll top that off if it starts going low.

I do that with each caliper and only then do I go around and do some very careful bleeding making sure to keep topping off. I end up using maybe 1/2 liter more this way by continuously topping off but it has saved me from having to bleed more than once every time now. This saves you tremendously in time and frustration. This is gravity bleeding the entire time. I've never done a power bleed at all. This is also just me pumping the pedal and opening and closing the bleed screws. I'm VERY CAREFUL to pump the pedal SLOWLY and not all the way to the floor. If you do it right you can get away with it but once you get air back up into the system you are in for a full bleed (if not a few) with abs cycling.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Lmbrt View Post
    Has anyone tried the other variants that come already painted? There are all those suffix letters that seem to indicate colors, but some of them have no description. I have sent an email to merriam but they want a vin # and say they don't cross-fit parts. I don't really want to say it is for an S4 because it might cause them to mark up the price like the Q5s..

I kinda want to bite the bullet on a red set, # 95B-615-123-E The last letter being the only difference, I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be the same caliper, but painted red. Do you guys think it could be an other caliper type that wouldn't fit?
    I suspect that part number with the "E" suffix is for the Turbo/GTS calipers- which are a different six piston caliper and fit a larger 360mm disc.

Reason being, there's no red caliper option for the base Macan, which is the only model these "Q5" Brembos come on, while red calipers come equipped only on the Turbo and GTS models (without PCCB)
    -Hayden

Established Member Two Rings Phil.Lmbrt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    I suspect that part number with the "E" suffix is for the Turbo/GTS calipers- which are a different six piston caliper and fit a larger 360mm disc.

Reason being, there's no red caliper option for the base Macan, which is the only model these "Q5" Brembos come on, while red calipers come equipped only on the Turbo and GTS models (without PCCB)
    Wow, it would be very confusing if it is exactly the same part # with just the last letter being different for a 4pot vs 6pot caliper I am currently exchanging emails with a Porsche dealer here in Quebec about this. I asked them what all the variants actually are ! Hopefully, they'll have an answer for me !

Edit : Actually you might be right.. I cannot find a base macan for sale that has anything than the matte black 4pot calipers
    Last edited by Phil.Lmbrt; 01-11-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    2012 S4
    Brilliant Black | 6MT | Sports Diff | B&O
    Uni Dual Pulley | 3.208 Ratio | Roc-Euro | CTS | USP | 034 | JHM | PLM | Vossen | CR-15 | Macan Calipers | StopTech | Snow Performance

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 S4 '05 987S

Is it possible to keep the stock rotors and swap in new calipers and pads? I only have 17k miles on the odometer so plenty of rotor life left.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbler View Post
    Is it possible to keep the stock rotors and swap in new calipers and pads? I only have 17k miles on the odometer so plenty of rotor life left.
    Yes.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

AZ Member #

Might want to go ahead and check the rotors while you've got the car this far apart. I did my first pad change around 20k miles and did the rotors at the same time.

[as an aside, I installed ECS Geomet with slots and then went to the Apikol 2-piece at around 50k miles on the odo. Just had the Apikol's turned (only the passenger side was warped) and I'm hoping I get another 60k+ miles out of them before a re-ring job. I'm very happy with the life of the Apikol rotors as quite a bit of the life of those rotors was dealing with Atlanta traffic.]

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Well this thread has exhausted merriamís stock they canceled my order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ROOSTER View Post

You could check with a more local Porsche dealer, maybe they carry some in their inventory !
    2012 S4
    Uni Dual Pulley | 3.208 Ratio | Roc-Euro | CTS | USP | 034 | JHM | PLM | Vossen | CR-15 | Macan Calipers | StopTech | Snow Performance

AZ Member #

I suspect that someone has figured out that something is up.

Finally found my old Dell only to remember that it has Vista it and I couldn't get the Ross-Tech VCDS to actually load.

AZ Member #

Tried another online dealer and got that response.

AZ Member #

I suspect that someone has figured out that something is up.

Finally found my old Dell only to remember that it has Vista it and I couldn't get the Ross-Tech VCDS to actually load.
    I run boot camp on my MacBook Air

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperCar's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That sucks big time.

Here we go again, it happened with the Q5. I really hope someone didnít do a mass order only to upcharge here on the forums.... if I see one set for sale.... game on!
    2013 A4 Scuba Blue Metallic | APR stage 2 | AWE | Milltek | GFB+ | Suntek | Solo-Werks | Eurocode | Blesk | 034 | ECStuning | CR-15 Strut brace | Apikol | R8 Coilpacks | NGK | Akebono | Hawk |MRR-GF07 19x9.5 ET38 | 18x8.5 peeler reps ET 40 (winter)

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperCar View Post
    That sucks big time.

Here we go again, it happened with the Q5. I really hope someone didnít do a mass order only to upcharge here on the forums.... if I see one set for sale.... game on!
    People have already selling these exact Porsche calipers for $650+ shipping without powder coating. Nothing like taking advantage of a fellow forum member!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 S4 - APR Stage 2 - APR CPS - AWE Touring w/ Resonated Downpipes - APR Carbonio Stage 2 Intake - Alu Kreuz - H&R Front and Rear Sways - 034 Inserts - Focal KX165 + Audison Bit4.9 + Audison 4D - Xpel Front End Wrap - Modesta BC-04 Paint Coating - Rayno S9 Tint - R8 Oil Cap - Porsche 911 Coolant Cap - CR15 Strut Tower Brace - Q5 Brembo Brakes - Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines - P3 Gauge (w/ Track Pack)

My Seller Feedback Thread - http://bit.ly/2vD36PE

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Works2shoot View Post
    People have already selling these exact Porsche calipers for $650+ shipping without powder coating. Nothing like taking advantage of a fellow forum member!

They have a right, but it doesnít make it right.
    2013 A4 Scuba Blue Metallic | APR stage 2 | AWE | Milltek | GFB+ | Suntek | Solo-Werks | Eurocode | Blesk | 034 | ECStuning | CR-15 Strut brace | Apikol | R8 Coilpacks | NGK | Akebono | Hawk |MRR-GF07 19x9.5 ET38 | 18x8.5 peeler reps ET 40 (winter)

AZ Member #

All right, all right, all right, all right, all right! I fought with Vista for awhile but I think VCDS is finally installed. Supposed to be terrible weather here tomorrow so I might have to clear some things out of the garage to make room to work.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 S4 '05 987S

They have a right, but it doesnít make it right.
    Are they these? The Audi OEM part is more expensive than the Porsche OEM part. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...8r0615108ekt3/

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 S4 '05 987S

Are there Akebono pads that fit these calipers?

AZ Member #

Are they these? The Audi OEM part is more expensive than the Porsche OEM part. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...8r0615108ekt3/
    Well thatís the Q5, but yea ecs definitely hits you with an upcharge! The issue I have is when forum members partake

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 S4 '05 987S

Well thatís the Q5, but yea ecs definitely hits you with an upcharge! The issue I have is when forum members partake
    I believe the dealer price on the Q5 calipers is more than $650 a pair - they are silver/grey. If you get the Porsche part - which is powder coated black - it's under $500/pair. So, if they're selling the former, I'm missing your point.

AZ Member #

I believe the dealer price on the Q5 calipers is more than $650 a pair - they are silver/grey. If you get the Porsche part - which is powder coated black - it's under $500/pair. So, if they're selling the former, I'm missing your point.
    My point is, an Audizine member buying stock from various sources at a lower price and then selling them on the forums for a higher price, itís annoying and uncalled for.

AZ Member #

Cheapest Q5 caliper source??

They were the OEM Porsche calipers, and the ad had pictures that were in this thread.
    2014 S4 - APR Stage 2 - APR CPS - AWE Touring w/ Resonated Downpipes - APR Carbonio Stage 2 Intake - Alu Kreuz - H&R Front and Rear Sways - 034 Inserts - Focal KX165 + Audison Bit4.9 + Audison 4D - Xpel Front End Wrap - Modesta BC-04 Paint Coating - Rayno S9 Tint - R8 Oil Cap - Porsche 911 Coolant Cap - CR15 Strut Tower Brace - Q5 Brembo Brakes - Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines - P3 Gauge (w/ Track Pack)

AZ Member #

I seen that ad and the responses thatís how I found this thread

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I couldn't find any. I ended up ordering some StopTech pads https://autoplicity.com/10406067-stoptech-10516630

AZ Member #

Why??? Serious question.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Why??? Serious question.
    People on here like to make there brakes worse with no dust pads so they don't have to wash their wheels as much.

Anything that fits a cts v, sti ect will fit these calipers people. Search around to find your pad options and what years of above cars run these calipers.
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

And the oem audi brembo pads for these dust alot less than the s4 brakes with oem pads

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I don't think they are powder coated, they look to be anodized. Never the less, the Porsche part has a coating, the Audi part doesn't.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post
    People on here like to make there brakes worse with no dust pads so they don't have to wash their wheels as much.

Anything that fits a cts v, sti ect will fit these calipers people. Search around to find your pad options and what years of above cars run these calipers.
    This ^

Check the link in post #70, you will find all the other cars that carry this caliper.. Some of them have a huge selection of pads, especially STI and CTSV
    2012 S4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 S4 '05 987S

This ^

Check the link in post #70, you will find all the other cars that carry this caliper.. Some of them have a huge selection of pads, especially STI and CTSV
    I don't care about dust. Sure less might be nice, but it's not a driving factor. I've seen a wide range of opinions on Akebono - including my very trusted shop that recommends them.

So what are y'all running for pads and rotors with these calipers?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

I don't care about dust. Sure less might be nice, but it's not a driving factor. I've seen a wide range of opinions on Akebono - including my very trusted shop that recommends them.

So what are y'all running for pads and rotors with these calipers?
    I'm going to go with HPS 5.0 ! a lot of my friends have them and love them !
    2012 S4

AZ Member #

I'm going to go with HPS 5.0 ! a lot of my friends have them and love them !
    I had the Hawk 5.0 pads front and rear before the caliper swap. The fronts were pretty worn out but the backs were in good shape. So I got the 5.0 pad for these calipers. There are probably better options out there and I might explore some once spring hits. I'm really looking forward to the ease with which front pads can be changed with these calipers.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

I had the Hawk 5.0 pads front and rear before the caliper swap. The fronts were pretty worn out but the backs were in good shape. So I got the 5.0 pad for these calipers. There are probably better options out there and I might explore some once spring hits. I'm really looking forward to the ease with which front pads can be changed with these calipers.
    Swapping front pads is a matter of minutes with fixed calipers !!
    2012 S4

AZ Member #

Swapping front pads is a matter of minutes with fixed calipers !!
    I was trying to explain this to my wife. I finally said, "like le Mans," but I'll wait until they cool off so I don't have to use pliers. She got it.

AZ Member #

I was trying to explain this to my wife. I finally said, "like le Mans," but I'll wait until they cool off so I don't have to use pliers. She got it.
    Lol

AZ Member #

Holy air in the lines, Batman.

ETA: Manually bled the calipers twice now. Much firmer but I still think there's some air in there. Wife has earned some serious wife-points for pumping the pedal with a new born in her arms.
    Last edited by chilort; 01-12-2018 at 12:46 PM.

AZ Member #

ETA: Manually bled the calipers twice now. Much firmer but I still think there's some air in there. Wife has earned some serious wife-points for pumping the pedal with a new born in her arms.
    Power bleeder and running the ABS test are your friend.

Senior Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

She sounds like a winner
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2++ | Current Setup
    452WHP / 443WTQ | 11.352 @ 119.26 | @dirtyaudi

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post
    She sounds like a winner
    Yup.

Power bleeder arrives tomorrow.

I love the brakes already and itíll be even better once bled.

AZ Member #

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by austerity View Post
    Fantastic. Will go great with the oem black rear caliper.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast