Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Did the recall on Friday - dropped off at 0730, picked it up around 1530 (due to my schedule, car was ready by 12).

Seemed relatively painless - will see if any rattles or other bugs pop up.

On a side note, I picked a 2017 A6 2.0T Quattro as the loaner (choices were various Q5s, the A6, and an A4).

A6 - spacious on the inside, but the exhaust note was louder than on my 2015 A4, and not in a good way. As much as I like the extra space inside and the fancy folding screen (and instrument panel), the A6 didn't feel as well "motivated" or as nice as I expected. I also hate LED lights for secondary gauges (fuel and temp).

Senior Member Three Rings BrewDude's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17 Q3, 13 allroad, 04 R32 FT450, 06 Beetle, 03 Passat Variant

Quote Originally Posted by G_Wagon View Post
    Is part 1 of the recall, aka the software update, just them turning it off in your mmi?

Or is it something else?

So did I drive to the dealership last month just so they could turn the aux heater off on my mmi?
    The first recall was a software flash for the aux heater. No turning off of the heater itself in the MMI was advised. The flash didn't fix anything so now we're at the second recall.

The second recall is replacement of the aux heater itself. Until such time that you have it replaced it is directed that you turn the aux heater off in the MMI yourself, or take it to the dealer to have them turn it off.

Veteran Member Three Rings S4_SH1640's Avatar
    AZ Member #

AOA says that my 2010 A4 has no open recalls???

How come are you guys getting the recall letters and such?
    Garage:
    B5 S4 Santorin Blue Stage 2
    B8 A4 Premium Plus

Veteran Member Four Rings b6onboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was glad to return my base A6 2.0T Premium loaner. I didn't want to give my loaded A6 3.0T Prestige loaner back.

Engine, and options, make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SaigonDesign View Post
    On a side note, I picked a 2017 A6 2.0T Quattro as the loaner (choices were various Q5s, the A6, and an A4).

A6 - spacious on the inside, but the exhaust note was louder than on my 2015 A4, and not in a good way. As much as I like the extra space inside and the fancy folding screen (and instrument panel), the A6 didn't feel as well "motivated" or as nice as I expected. I also hate LED lights for secondary gauges (fuel and temp).

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Got my allroad scheduled for the repair..... three weeks from now. Dealership says the repair takes the better part of four hours to do and that it does require taking apart a section of the lower part of the dash.
    Vehicles: 2013 Ibis White allroad & 2006 Campy White Touareg

Active Member One Ring HartzMts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4_SH1640 View Post
    AOA says that my 2010 A4 has no open recalls???

How come are you guys getting the recall letters and such?
    I read the recall is for only 2013-2016 (2.0t) certain models.

Established Member Two Rings B8A4Kevin14's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is part 1 of the recall, aka the software update, just them turning it off in your mmi?

Or is it something else?

So did I drive to the dealership last month just so they could turn the aux heater off on my mmi?
    Turn off your aux in your mmi. Thatís all they will do if they donít have the part.

Established Member Three Rings choppstixxx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda S2000

Scheduled my appointment for 2/15, guess the parts are back ordered at a lot of dealerships for a month.
    2013 Moonlight Blue Metallic B8.5 A4 Quattro Premium Flex Fuel 1 of 519
    OEM Bi-Xenon Conversion / OEM S-Line Grill + RS4 Style Foglight Covers / Maxton v2 Front Splitter / SpoilerKing Lip Spoiler / H&R Street Coilovers / Akebono / OEM S-Line Steering Wheel / OEM Carbon Altas Trim / ZiZa LED Interior Lighting / US Millworks
    19x9.5 Avant Garde M590 Brushed Grigio (Summer) / 18x8 Alzor Style 628 (Winter)

Senior Member Three Rings skifreak85353's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iím on the chopping block for tomorrow. Also having them look at the ďnotchĒ feeling in the steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Audi Allroad Prem+ Moonlight Blue | 19" S5 Rotors w/ 10mm H+R spacers | 19" S4 Peelers plasti-dipped anthracite w 25mm and 30mm H+R spacers | Stasis RSB | Alu Kreuz | Avant S-Line springs | 20% tint | Vag Com mods
    2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R-Design
    2013 Subaru WRX Limited (Satin White Pearl) - Gone but not forgotten
    The Instagram the_radifier

Active Member One Ring Grusemeyer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4fuzz View Post
    It also says repair not yet available. I'm guessing we will get something in the mail when they are ready to perform the repair. Hopefully this isn't something that I need to take my APR tune off for. I already have the software update.
    What do you mean software update?? I have apr stage 2 what update would audi do?

Established Member Two Rings NYDCB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nothing came up for my 2010.

Edit: Ha, 2013 and up

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grusemeyer View Post
    What do you mean software update?? I have apr stage 2 what update would audi do?
    Audi will flag your car TD1. That's what they will do.

Seriously does anyone read anymore?

AZ Member #

NEW Auxillary Heater Recall

Not trying to turn this thread into a TD1 discussion, but I am wondering your opinions on my situation. I have to get the recall done and I have a stage 1 APR tune. My car has 55k on it so I am out of warranty. I donít want to get flagged for this stupid recall incase there is ever something that goes wrong with my car. I see two options here, one I can go flash back to stock for $50 and then get the recall done or two try to go to another tune friendly dealership for the service and hope for the best. I am not sweating this that much as I am already out of warranty, but wondering whatís the best route considering my situation. I have already disabled the heater in the menu.

Sent from my
    Last edited by B8A4Kevin14; 01-10-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Senior Member Two Rings rdenivo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 VW Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by B8A4Kevin14 View Post
    Not trying to turn this thread into a TD1 discussion, but I am wondering your opinions on my situation. I have to get the recall done and I have a stage 1 APR tune. My car has 55k on it so I am out of warranty. I donít want to get flagged for this stupid recall incase there is ever something that goes wrong with my car. I see two options here, one I can go flash back to stock for $50 and then get the recall done or two try to go to another tune friendly dealership for the service and hope for the best. I am not sweating this that much as I am already out of warranty, but wondering whatís the best route considering my situation.

Sent from my
    You can turn it off via the MMI. I did and with the Arctic temps we've had I've noticed little difference in the time it takes for the car to warm up.
    2015 A4, Scuba Metallic Blue, Eurocode Front and Rear Sway bars, Chrome delete, Partial Air Leather FBSW, Black S-Line and Audi badges, 19" Satin black 10 spoke rims

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rdenivo View Post
    You can turn it off via the MMI. I did and with the Arctic temps we've had I've noticed little difference in the time it takes for the car to warm up.
    I have already disabled the heater in the menu.

Established Member Three Rings G_Wagon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not trying to turn this thread into a TD1 discussion, but I am wondering your opinions on my situation. I have to get the recall done and I have a stage 1 APR tune. My car has 55k on it so I am out of warranty. I donít want to get flagged for this stupid recall incase there is ever something that goes wrong with my car. I see two options here, one I can go flash back to stock for $50 and then get the recall done or two try to go to another tune friendly dealership for the service and hope for the best. I am not sweating this that much as I am already out of warranty, but wondering whatís the best route considering my situation. I have already disabled the heater in the menu.

Sent from my
    You will get flagged TD1 regardless if you flash back to stock or not. They have the tech to do this now...

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

If you're out of warranty, does it matter if they flag you for TD1? I thought it's to only deny warranty claims?
    > 2015 Glacier White Metallic allroad P+ <> Airlift 3P <> 034 CAs <> Vossen VFS-2 Satin Bronze <> Magnaflow CBE <
    > RS4 FBSW <> Piano Black Trim <> BFI Shift Knob <> NGP Rearguard <

AZ Member #

Well looks like my dealer ran out of parts. So the repair is postponed. New brakes went on today and they are investigating some mysterious noises and steering notchiness. All was not lost!

2014 Audi Allroad Prem+ Moonlight Blue | 19" S5 Rotors w/ 10mm H+R spacers | 19" S4 Peelers plasti-dipped anthracite w 25mm and 30mm H+R spacers | Stasis RSB | Alu Kreuz | Avant S-Line springs | 20% tint | Vag Com mods

AZ Member #

Scheduled for 2/13, they also said parts backordered until early February so I made appointment for mid. Hopefully they'll have parts by then.
    Build thread: 2014 Audi Allroad
    Instagram: @ridesbypeter

Previous Audis:
    2004 Audi A4 Avant 3.0
    2003 Audi A3 Avant 1.8T

AZ Member #

You will get flagged TD1 regardless if you flash back to stock or not. They have the tech to do this now...
    I guess itís a lost cause then. My B7 A4 blew up at 65k and Audi gave me some incentives to get into the car I am in now. Thatís why I am still worried about TD1 even though I am out of warranty.

Sent from my

Veteran Member Four Rings dropshadow's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Allthea View Post
    If you're out of warranty, does it matter if they flag you for TD1? I thought it's to only deny warranty claims?
    If you're out of warranty, a TD1 flag doesn't matter. Wear it as a badge of honor.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Not true. I don't know where you're getting this information from. If the ECU is returned to the OEM flash that Audi put on it in the first place, they won't know. If you put it in 'stock' mode that APR has flashed, they're going to find it and flag TD1.

When the first part of the recall required a software flash to the ECU, I went to my local APR dealer and had them reflash the ECU to stock. Dealer performed the recall, no issues with TD1. Went right back to my APR dealer and had them put St2+ back on it.

My concern is with this second part of the recall, is there another software flash that the dealer is going to do to the ECU? I know they'll have to hook up GEKO to perform the flap recalibration procedure, so it's probably in my best interest to go back to my APR guy, reflash back to stock, then let the dealer do the repair.

AZ Member #

NEW Auxillary Heater Recall

Quote Originally Posted by BrewDude View Post
    Not true. I don't know where you're getting this information from. If the ECU is returned to the OEM flash that Audi put on it in the first place, they won't know. If you put it in 'stock' mode that APR has flashed, they're going to find it and flag TD1.

When the first part of the recall required a software flash to the ECU, I went to my local APR dealer and had them reflash the ECU to stock. Dealer performed the recall, no issues with TD1. Went right back to my APR dealer and had them put St2+ back on it.

My concern is with this second part of the recall, is there another software flash that the dealer is going to do to the ECU? I know they'll have to hook up GEKO to perform the flap recalibration procedure, so it's probably in my best interest to go back to my APR guy, reflash back to stock, then let the dealer do the repair.
    I wouldn't be so quick to say not true...
    If u do some looking around here there are plenty of folks who have had APR flash their ecu back to stock only to have Audi td1 them...

Even with apr flashing your ecu back to stock, Audi is still able to see that your ecu has been flashed and then they hit u with the td1.

Maybe your dealer is cool with this, or maybe they didn't notice, but it's definitely a thing...

AZ Member #

I have already disabled the heater in the menu.
    How is this done? I'm thinking I don't have the capability on my MMI since I do have premium plus package on 13 8.5 non s-line.
    Last edited by flowhigh; 01-13-2018 at 02:38 AM.
    HEAR

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by flowhigh View Post
    How is this done? I'm thinking I don't have the capability on my MMI since I do have premium plus package on 13 8.5 non s-line.
    My car doesnít have mmi, but itís in the car menu under a/c. One of the earlier post has he instructions if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my

AZ Member #

My car doesnít have mmi, but itís in the car menu under a/c. One of the earlier post has he instructions if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my

Okay, cool. Will try to look for it. I can tell that my MMI is not the multi-color version. It's mostly orange lettering so I'm thinking it's not that equipped. I know the S-line has much more options.
    HEAR

AZ Member #

I'm calling to set up an appointment tmrw...
    Is everyone that's had this done satisfied w the repair?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

Quote Originally Posted by flowhigh View Post
    Okay, cool. Will try to look for it. I can tell that my MMI is not the multi-color version. It's mostly orange lettering so I'm thinking it's not that equipped. I know the S-line has much more options.
    if you have it, press the CAR button, scroll to A/C, and it should be under there Aux Heater (or something). Change from Auto to Off.

You have to have the heat running in order to change it, otherwise it will be grayed out.
    > 2015 Glacier White Metallic allroad P+ <> Airlift 3P <> 034 CAs <> Vossen VFS-2 Satin Bronze <> Magnaflow CBE <

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm calling to set up an appointment tmrw...
    Is everyone that's had this done satisfied w the repair?
    My dealership did a great job. It's great to have "instaheat" back. :)
    Vehicles: 2013 Ibis White allroad & 2006 Campy White Touareg

AZ Member #

Totally satisfied. Had actually forgot about the repair until I saw this thread pop up again.

Veteran Member Four Rings Turbavanttro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had mine done two weeks ago and I'm totally satisfied as well. Painless.
    2004 B6 Avant l Moro Blue Pearl l Sportec l EFR TS-7064 l United Motorsport Tuned l 460 awhp, 93 octane
    2014 P+ Allroad l Glacier White l Airlift 3H l BBS l Eurocode l OEM+ Goodness l CTS l IE l K04 l United Motorsport Tuned l
    Instagram: bluewings460
    So many Audis, so little time....

AZ Member #

Thx guys

AZ Member #

I just called my local Audi dealer and got put on a wait list as they don't know when they will get the parts again.

AZ Member #

Feb. 15 for me

AZ Member #

Just dropped off my car at the dealership for the recall. While there, I was talking to them about getting the ECU flashed because I've been having some rough low gear shifts. This seemed to be somewhat common on these forums but he said they didn't have any service bulletins regarding the issue and couldn't guarantee that flashing would solve my issue. The cost to flash is 3.5 hours of labor ($700+). My question is, should I do this? Cost seems really high for an ECU flash. My other question is, would I have to do this anyway in the future if I decided to go APR Stage 1 or 2? If so, I might as well get it done now, right? Sorry I know this is slightly off topic.
    Build thread: 2014 Audi Allroad
    Instagram: @ridesbypeter

Previous Audis:
    2004 Audi A4 Avant 3.0
    2003 Audi A3 Avant 1.8T

Established Member Two Rings alhutch's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by plim View Post
    Just dropped off my car at the dealership for the recall. While there, I was talking to them about getting the ECU flashed because I've been having some rough low gear shifts. This seemed to be somewhat common on these forums but he said they didn't have any service bulletins regarding the issue and couldn't guarantee that flashing would solve my issue. The cost to flash is 3.5 hours of labor ($700+). My question is, should I do this? Cost seems really high for an ECU flash. My other question is, would I have to do this anyway in the future if I decided to go APR Stage 1 or 2? If so, I might as well get it done now, right? Sorry I know this is slightly off topic.
    Doesn't sound like a sure fire solution to your issue, so be prepared to be underwhelmed. You shouldn't need any flash from the dealer prior to APR upgrade.
    2013 Allroad - Volcano Red

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

$700+ for something that may not help, permanently, seems like a lot. On Subarus, ECU reflash did nothing to fix the auto trans shift jerkiness, there was a separate TCU reset they could do that would undo the TCU learning parameters and let it relearn. this, also, was not a sure fire solution.

I occasionally get a jerky 1>2 shift right after a cold start, but that's it. I've learned how to work the gas pedal to avoid it most of the time.

I'm not sure if it's the same on Audis, but on Subarus, removing the battery negative terminal and holding the brake pedal until the system was drained, and thus removing power from the ECU memory, would reset learned parameters in the ECU. I can't really see what else an "ECU reflash" would do on an Audi besides resetting learned parameters.

Established Member Three Rings choppstixxx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda S2000

Got mine done yesterday, what exactly does the aux. heater do (pardon my ignorance)?

2013 Moonlight Blue Metallic B8.5 A4 Quattro Premium Flex Fuel 1 of 519
    OEM Bi-Xenon Conversion / OEM S-Line Grill + RS4 Style Foglight Covers / Maxton v2 Front Splitter / SpoilerKing Lip Spoiler / H&R Street Coilovers / Akebono / OEM S-Line Steering Wheel / OEM Carbon Altas Trim / ZiZa LED Interior Lighting / US Millworks
    19x9.5 Avant Garde M590 Brushed Grigio (Summer) / 18x8 Alzor Style 628 (Winter)

Established Member Two Rings ghgoldberg's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by plim View Post
    APR also has a TCU flash that you should seriously consider particularly if you are flashing the ECU. Also, if your car has a few years on it, having the tranny fluid changed will help.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by choppstixxx View Post
    Got mine done yesterday, what exactly does the aux. heater do (pardon my ignorance)?
    It is an electric heater that gives you heat before the heater core flows with hot coolant.
    2013 A4 Premium - [ Exhaust tips / Rubber Floor Mats ] APR Stage 2 | CR-15 | ECS Luft Technik | 034 HFC |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast