Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Jack Height

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Jack Height

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I finally got my Jackpoint jack stands and it's pretty clear that my current floor jack is not going to work at almost 6" high alone.

Is anyone else using Jackpoint stands and if so what jack are you using that fits with the plate under the car?

I am still waiting on the car so I don't know the height from the ground to the pinch weld if anyone knows please post.

I'll likely go ARcan at 4" but can go with Harbor Frieght at 2 7/8" so I am trying to get an idea of how low the jack needs to be to fit with the jackpoint plate.

I'd even take a lowered pinch weld height because an inch drop is a safe assumption.

Veteran Member Four Rings audibmi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 TT RS

The front pinch weld clearance on the TTRS is ~5.5 inches while the rear is ~6 inches.

I have the OTC low profile aluminum jack which only provides 3.5 inches when lowered and didn't provide sufficient clearance in the front when my h&r sport oe springs settled on my B8.5 S4. Looks like the harbor freight one provides more clearance.

You could also get the low profile pad from jackpointstand in combination with a hockey puck to protect the pinch weld to gain a bit more clearance. The standard pad jackpointstand provides is quite thick. Here is a pic of the jackpointstand in action on my B8.5 S4:

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Where do you get the pinch weld puck?
    Current: 2018 TTRS Nardo Grey, Tech Pkg, Black Optic, Sport Exhaust.
    Xpel clear bra, H&R Sport Springs, Ceramic Pro Gold Package.
    Past: 2015 Audi TT S Competition Package & 2011 Audi TT S, Black on Black
    Remember: Hit em with the Hein!

AZ Member #

I measure the top plate as 2.6" and the recess is 1/2 on the bottom so that puts the plate just over 2" top to jack contact. I am assuming the top will contact around pinch weld and weld will not bottom out if it does then that only helps because the depth from top to bottom of recess is just over 5/8" So total bottom of pinch to jack surface is id motr likr 1.5" but holding plate on pinch you still need the other 1/2 to fit jack under.
    It sounds like even in the rear it would be marginal with a 4" jack.

AZ Member #

Hockey puck is the easy solution. I've been using one for years, it does no damage. I have not even grooved mine.
    They are one inch solid rubber and give enough. I've never seen them do any damage.
    The slotted pucks are available on amazon though.

AZ Member #

I am thinknig of taping off the top plates and plastdipping the tops of the plates to prevent scrapping off the undercoating

Veteran Member Four Rings audibmi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 TT RS

hockey puck without cutting a groove is what i have always used. provides enough rigidity and cradles the pinch weld when it deforms and soft enough not to damage undercoating.

Established Member Three Rings Chuckster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 TTS & '16 Q3

I got the 2.5" Diameter, 1" Tall Slot Dimensions: 10mm Width, 7mm Height puck from TMB Motorsports and it fits.
    2017 Audi TTS | 034 | APR+ | HRE | Magnaflow | MSS |
    2016 Audi Q3 | Stock |

Veteran Member Three Rings Huey52's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had not seen the Jackpoint jack stand. Great idea and innately very safe.

Most aluminum race jacks are 3.5" lowered which is fine for a stock TTRS/TTS (which is 10mm, ~.4", lower than a TT). The Harbor Freight [Pittsburgh] is a bit lower than most jacks at 3-3/8".

I've used a slotted puck for years.
    2016 TTS Sepang blue/rotor gray Tech B&O
    Prior: 2013 allroad; 2011 A5

AZ Member #

I would prefer the Jackpoint slotted metallic mount or a slotted rubber pad on their flat mount. The weight is intended to be borne aside the pinch weld and not on the pinch itself as more so happens with an unslotted hockey puck. Not a big deal tho' and in a pinch (pun intended) a plain hockey puck will suffice. Of course if one's garage gets down to the 40 degf range it won't deform-conform as readily (related case in point for winter vs. summer tires in the cold).

Note however that some cars are intended to be jacked directly on the pinch weld, e.g. 2014 and later Ford Mustang and Focus.

btw: here's a similar principle RennStand, perhaps more versatile given adjustable height as in conventional stands, but not initially as low profile so likely no good for TTRS/TTS/TT: https://safejacks.com/collections/co...d-by-safe-jack

Quote Originally Posted by audibmi View Post
    hockey puck without cutting a groove is what i have always used. provides enough rigidity and cradles the pinch weld when it deforms and soft enough not to damage undercoating.

Last edited by Huey52; 11-18-2017 at 05:36 AM.

AZ Member #

I ended up going with the Pittsburgh 2.5 Ton Aluminium at 3 3/8. I could have gone lower with the all steel jack (2 7/8) but really wanted the lighter weight.
    Since I used to be a technician I am the go to for "I'm broke down" and at times need to throw the jack in the car.

I was going to plastidip the tops of the pads but am going to try flex seal instead so it's more rubberized.

Established Member Two Rings avimore's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Huey52 View Post
    btw: here's a similar principle RennStand, perhaps more versatile given adjustable height as in conventional stands, but not initially as low profile so likely no good for TTRS/TTS/TT: https://safejacks.com/collections/co...d-by-safe-jack
    I'm looking into RennStand but they're not sure which jack pad adapter is used for our cars (I have a B8.5 A5). I mentioned that I have a pinch weld but they said that the pinch weld should only be used for emergency tire changing and should not be used for supporting the car long-term.

This doesn't sound right to me but thought I would check here with you guys first. Any thoughts?

AZ Member #

Very few cars (a couple I referenced above) are actually designed to be jacked on the pinch weld. I agree therefore with "...should not be used for supporting the car long-term."

Of course long term refers to weeks/months/years left on jack stands.

Quote Originally Posted by avimore View Post
    I'm looking into RennStand but they're not sure which jack pad adapter is used for our cars (I have a B8.5 A5). I mentioned that I have a pinch weld but they said that the pinch weld should only be used for emergency tire changing and should not be used for supporting the car long-term.

This doesn't sound right to me but thought I would check here with you guys first. Any thoughts?

Established Member Two Rings avimore's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Huey52 View Post
    Very few cars (a couple I referenced above) are actually designed to be jacked on the pinch weld. I agree therefore with "...should not be used for supporting the car long-term."

Of course long term refers to weeks/months/years left on jack stands.
    Thanks Huey. I guess I should not have any issues being jacked up on the pinch welds for a few hours then?

AZ Member #

In a pinch (pun intended) you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by avimore View Post
    Thanks Huey. I guess I should not have any issues being jacked up on the pinch welds for a few hours then?