Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

4.2 TDI - Is This Start Up Noise Normal - Potential Purchase

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys, i need some feedback as soon as possible on this car i want to buy. The car has 73k miles, it has service history with 4 or 5 stamps on the long life servicing intervals. You can see the car has been very well looked after and its immaculate.

I will get straight to the point i took the engine cover off to hear the engine from a cold start, i was a bit shocked by the noise it made, you could hear the chain and the engine was very noisy indeed, im coming from a V8 petrol Jaguar but i have had many diesels too, there is a metallic like (chain sound) and there is the loud clatter noise you get from a diesel, i would say it did not sound like something was wrong, it just sounded a lot different from what i thought it would.

I found this video clip on you tube and i would say it does sound the same as the car i seen today, so maybe this is normal for this engine, the video on YouTube does not say anything is wrong but it lets you hear the engine with the engine cover off. What do you guys think does this sound normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrn...ist=WL&index=1

AZ Member #

The payment has been made, insurance notified, im getting the train to north wales tonight to pick up my new to me a8 car. Cheers guys

AZ Member #

Normal, its a TDI

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
    Normal, its a TDI
    Thanks for confirming that pete

Veteran Member Three Rings A6sport's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6, D4 A8L, B8 A5, MK1 TT Roadster, Lexus RX 400h

Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
    Normal, its a TDI
    Very normal. Lol-
    2012 A7 PP| S Exterior| RS Carbon Optics| Carbon spoiler| Carbon diffuser| Carbon mirrors/ carbon pods| V6T badges| Smoked tail, side markers| 21" High-Gloss Black Blade wheels| S sport exhaust| APR Stage II 93 dual pulleys| RS7 intake| S Sport Brembos Ft/RR| TAG B/O rings

Alcantara Exclusive Interior| Super sport seats| FB Steering wheel| S door sills| RS shifter| Audi sport puddle lights
    S Aluminum Pedals| RS floor mats| S start button| Piano Black inlays| RS Seat belts| Ambient lighting|