Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Four Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyram View Post
    Please add me to your list of anxious buyers.
    I tried to reply to your PM but said you inbox was full. I think it was you, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I can set up a little web store to simplify this if anyone’s interested in that.

Ford Prefect, all you’d have to do is send in inventory (to a 3rd party logistic that’d handle inventory), and would get payment and notification in advance of when to send in more inentory.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

@Ford Prefect: I would like to buy two adapters as well to fit my 2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0T Quattro. Please PM me payment info when you have a chance.

I have a boroscope (w/light) and want to "test modify" one of the adapters by adding a hole for the camera so I can see where I'm cleaning down there. The other one will be unmodified just in case I mess up the first one... :)

It would be kind of cool if someone can make an adapter out of clear plastic so we can see down there while cleaning. Maybe even embed an LED light?

My A4 has 187k miles and is long overdue for the carbon cleaning. Especially now, since it is starting to give cold start misfire codes for cylinder 3. Once it warms up, it stops misfiring. Already checked the plugs and ignition coils.

I have the:

1. Harbor Freight $29 portable blaster w/extension for the gun
    2. Fine grade walnut media (might return the fine and exchange for coarse, but am worried that it will jam the blaster gun)
    3. Air compressor
    4. New Audi Genuine intake manifold gasket
    5. New Audi Genuine fuel injector seals kits (gonna replace the seals on all 4)
    6. Sockets and wrenches for the various fasteners involved.
    7. Painters tape to cover up the other 3 cylinders and other areas of the engine.

MISSING:
    8. Your awesome adapter!

Besides your adapter, is there anything else that I will need? I also have studied tirelessly the intake manifold removal process (thanks to all of the great info posted by the AZ contributors)! It has been done so many times "in my head," I feel like I have done it already several times over!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Intake Valve Carbon Cleaning Adapter

Will PM you.

I wouldn’t swap the fine shells for coarse. I have heard a bunch of complaints on the coarse, not a peep on the fine.

And I definitely look at the clear ones, I’m intrigued!

Veteran Member Four Rings jschrauwen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5 3.2 QTip, 00 A4 2.8 QTip, 90 300ZX TT 572whp 590wtq, Ducati TT2

Quote Originally Posted by KNakamura24 View Post
    I have the:
    2. Fine grade walnut media (might return the fine and exchange for coarse, but am worried that it will jam the blaster gun)
    3. Air compressor
    7. Painters tape to cover up the other 3 cylinders and other areas of the engine.
    I spoke to a tech who has done this process many times before and he said that whatever compressor unit you use, it needs to have a water/moisture separator in the line prior to the nozzle. Otherwise the finer walnut shells will absorb that moisture and will clog the compressor nozzle.
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O & JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Fogs|Ext. & Int. LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM mufflers|CF Mirrors, Spoiler & Diffuser|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|Ecode headlights|Alu Kreuz|ProdigyWerks 6pot 2pc 356mm front 350mm 2pc rear BBK|Eibach springs

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jschrauwen View Post
    I spoke to a tech who has done this process many times before and he said that whatever compressor unit you use, it needs to have a water/moisture separator in the line prior to the nozzle. Otherwise the finer walnut shells will absorb that moisture and will clog the compressor nozzle.
    Thanks for posting this! I think the lack of using this water/moisture separator is why my media gun would clog intermittently while spraying (even with fine-grit shells). Fortunately, a vigorous shake would unclog it, but I bet the job would have been better/easier had I had/used a water/moisture separator.
    Last edited by blgilles; 10-14-2018 at 04:30 PM.

AZ Member #

@Ford Prefect: I would like to buy two adapters as well to fit my 2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0T Quattro. Please PM me payment info when you have a chance.

I have a boroscope (w/light) and want to "test modify" one of the adapters by adding a hole for the camera so I can see where I'm cleaning down there. The other one will be unmodified just in case I mess up the first one... :)

It would be kind of cool if someone can make an adapter out of clear plastic so we can see down there while cleaning. Maybe even embed an LED light?

My A4 has 187k miles and is long overdue for the carbon cleaning. Especially now, since it is starting to give cold start misfire codes for cylinder 3. Once it warms up, it stops misfiring. Already checked the plugs and ignition coils.

I have the:

3. Air compressor

MISSING:
    8. Your awesome adapter!

Besides your adapter, is there anything else that I will need? I also have studied tirelessly the intake manifold removal process (thanks to all of the great info posted by the AZ contributors)! It has been done so many times "in my head," I feel like I have done it already several times over!
    All I can think of off the top of my head are:
    1. Shallow 24mm socket for turning the engine over to shut the one pair of valves that are open (when it comes to it). Do NOT bump the starter to turn the engine over. (Doing so HAS resulted in an engine fire for at least one member here.)
    2. An 18" (or longer) 1/4" extension for the 10mm socket and Torx 30 for taking the manifold off.
    - My 3/8' extensions were too big to fit in the manifold openings; had to go buy the 1/4" extensions.
    - This is of course assuming that you have the Torx and 10mm socket in 1/4" drive variants.
    - I also recommend taping the socket/torx on, so that if they catch on the way out, you don't have to spend 5 hours searching for where your 10mm socket is after it falls off into the seemingly-infinite series of caverns that are the 2.0T engine/bay.
    3. A little magnetic extender stick, for when you inevitably drop a bolt, nut, or 10mm socket into the engine bay. Maybe this one.
    - If you manage to do this job without dropping something into the engine bay, my hat is off to you. I dropped 3 things: two nuts and the 10mm socket. Found both nuts in under a minute, the socket was longer than the rest of the job combined.

Oh, and while you have the manifold off, check out all the coolant stuff and oil separator underneath for leaks. Take pictures of all that stuff too, for future reference, as it's way easier to see if all when the manifold is off.

Cheers!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Man, you guys rock! Less than 12 hours since my 1st post ever in AZ, I already got great and really helpful info and tips. Once I get the adapter, I can wrench away.

Thank you to everyone who replied!

I'll try to take some pics when I do the cleaning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

That's a great tip. I'll get one ordered. Thank you!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blgilles View Post
    All I can think of off the top of my head are:
    1. Shallow 24mm socket for turning the engine over to shut the one pair of valves that are open (when it comes to it). Do NOT bump the starter to turn the engine over. (Doing so HAS resulted in an engine fire for at least one member here.)
    2. An 18" (or longer) 1/4" extension for the 10mm socket and Torx 30 for taking the manifold off.
    - My 3/8' extensions were too big to fit in the manifold openings; had to go buy the 1/4" extensions.
    - This is of course assuming that you have the Torx and 10mm socket in 1/4" drive variants.
    - I also recommend taping the socket/torx on, so that if they catch on the way out, you don't have to spend 5 hours searching for where your 10mm socket is after it falls off into the seemingly-infinite series of caverns that are the 2.0T engine/bay.
    3. A little magnetic extender stick, for when you inevitably drop a bolt, nut, or 10mm socket into the engine bay. Maybe this one.
    - If you manage to do this job without dropping something into the engine bay, my hat is off to you. I dropped 3 things: two nuts and the 10mm socket. Found both nuts in under a minute, the socket was longer than the rest of the job combined.

Oh, and while you have the manifold off, check out all the coolant stuff and oil separator underneath for leaks. Take pictures of all that stuff too, for future reference, as it's way easier to see if all when the manifold is off.

Cheers!
    Thank you! I'll double check to make sure I have the ones you recommend.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

No need to reach the crank bolt. I was in a bind as i had started all the work without jack stands on the car and was to lazy to get them out lol instead, i turned the serpentine belt clockwise by grabbing the belt by hand and pushing forward. Super easy and it closed the valves for me and i could see it happen lol

AZ Member #

Funny, I tried that. I couldn’t get it to budge. I guess I’m not blessed with what A4 Centaur calls his ‘old man strength’.

I was however able to get at the crank with the car still on the ground. That said, my car is standard right height.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blgilles View Post
    Funny, I tried that. I couldn’t get it to budge. I guess I’m not blessed with what A4 Centaur calls his ‘old man strength’.

I was however able to get at the crank with the car still on the ground. That said, my car is standard right height.
    Oh no bro, trust me. Theres one way that is easy, and one way that is hard. Ill take a video of it tomorrow. I may have turned counterclock wise instead lol

AZ Member #

Looking forward to it. :-)

AZ Member #

Link on turning valves without reaching for lower crank

https://youtu.be/zBxF-XBBEpI

AZ Member #

Ah, the good 'ol two-hand approach. I see!

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Just dropped you a PM Ford Prefect on pricing and availability.
    Thanks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Intake Valve Carbon Cleaning Adapter

Nice work! Shiny and clean!!!

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Nice work! Shiny and clean!!!
    Thank you sir. The video is of my car getting done today by the shop I use. Once I showed them the proper way to use your adapter, it worked amazingly well. They somehow lost the adapter I gave them so they had to use my adapter. They need to get two new adapters to continue carbon cleaning. Can I email you for 2 more adapters?
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O & JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Fogs|Ext. & Int. LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM mufflers|CF Mirrors, Spoiler & Diffuser|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|Ecode headlights|Alu Kreuz|ProdigyWerks 6pot 2pc 356mm front 350mm 2pc rear BBK|Eibach springs

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thank you sir. The video is of my car getting done today by the shop I use. Once I showed them the proper way to use your adapter, it worked amazingly well. They somehow lost the adapter I gave them so they had to use my adapter. They need to get two new adapters to continue carbon cleaning. Can I email you for 2 more adapters?
    Of course! Thanks for passing it on.

Rich.ratliffe@icloud.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Renamed the video to help my local shop promote their new carbon cleaning services.

Veteran Member Three Rings 19jdog's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Mini Cooper s - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 2007 C6 Avant - 2006 GSXR 750

OP I sent you a pm
    Instagram : black_b6_love
    07 A6 C6 Avant S Line - Stance SC8 20x10 42mm - H&R Springs

04 B6 A4 USP 2.7t
    USP CLUB MEMBER #198
    BEL 2.7t SWAP- Rohana RC7 19x9.5 33mm - 034 REAR SWAYBAR - TIP TO 6 SPEED SWAP

AZ Member #

Just finished cleaning my valves using this adapter. Anyone thinking of doing the job should get one. Richard was awesome to deal with! E-mail correspondence was prompt and shipping was quick.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S4 B8, 2018 SQ5 MKII

Can you PM the price and what form of payment you take. Thanks.

Senior Member Three Rings B6_Dolphin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Allroad Premium Plus - Brilliant Black/Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke92 View Post
    Can you PM the price and what form of payment you take. Thanks.
    Me too
    2015 Allroad Premium Plus - Tech & Sport Packages, B&O, Spoiler, 20" S7 Black Optic Wheels, Stoptech Trophy 355 mm (FR) BBK
    2017 Infiniti Q60S Coupe Red Sport - 3.0 V6 TT 400-hp (stock) - dyno'd @ 437 WHP 502 WTQ

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have the:

3. Air compressor

MISSING:
    8. Your awesome adapter!

My car is a 2013, B8.5, 2.0 TFSI Quattro, 6MT, with 67k miles.

My searching skills are a little limited, so I apologize in advance if I missed it, but is it required to replace the seals on the injectors (#5 fuel injector seals kit from the list above)?

I'm going to order the intake manifold gasket, but wasn't sure if I need to get the full seal kit, or just the o-rings for the injectors, or anything at all. I don't like messing with fuel but if it makes sense to do it while I'm there, then I'll get the parts and attempt it. Anyone have any suggestion on the parts to use and source?

On ECS Tuning I found these:

- ECS Tuning Genuine Audi Intake Manifold Gasket

- ECS Tuning Genuine Audi Fuel Injector Installation Kit (each)

On Amazon I found these:

- Beck Arnley 037-6147 Intake Manifold Gasket

- Standard Motor Fuel Injector Seal Kit

Any other suggestions?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sfl_A4 View Post
    My car is a 2013, B8.5, 2.0 TFSI Quattro, 6MT, with 67k miles.

My searching skills are a little limited, so I apologize in advance if I missed it, but is it required to replace the seals on the injectors (#5 fuel injector seals kit from the list above)?

I'm going to order the intake manifold gasket, but wasn't sure if I need to get the full seal kit, or just the o-rings for the injectors, or anything at all. I don't like messing with fuel but if it makes sense to do it while I'm there, then I'll get the parts and attempt it. Anyone have any suggestion on the parts to use and source?

On ECS Tuning I found these:

- ECS Tuning Genuine Audi Intake Manifold Gasket

- ECS Tuning Genuine Audi Fuel Injector Installation Kit (each)

On Amazon I found these:

- Beck Arnley 037-6147 Intake Manifold Gasket

- Standard Motor Fuel Injector Seal Kit

Any other suggestions?
    All good questions there.
    Some engines require the pulling of the injectors as part of the intake manifold removal. In the case of my 3.2L V6 this was the case. The injectors were not part of my intake manifold assembly per-say and I required no injector removal.
    Having said that if your specific engine process is not mentioned in previous pages in this there are at least 3 to 4 other threads discussing the 2.0T engine process. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that the 2.0T does require removal of the injectors.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

sfl_A4
    Here's some reference threads to should go through.
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...me-w-92k-miles
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-up-Megathread
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...n-cleaning-DIY

This is an excellent thread although initially it describes using the hand method with BG cleaning fluids.
    There's also some injector info as well.
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...Valve-Cleaning

AZ Member #

Ford Prefect, sent you an email re: my V10 S6.

AZ Member #

are these still available? I need it for my 3.0T. Thanks.

Senior Member Two Rings Peter.dupuis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 Jeep Wrangler

IMG_0007.JPG

Ford_prefect adapter made this job so much easier! Thanks again man

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.dupuis View Post
    IMG_0007.JPG

Ford_prefect adapter made this job so much easier! Thanks again man

Looks excellent! Glad it worked out well!

AZ Member #

I'm in for one if you still have them.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gotmoose View Post
    I'm in for one if you still have them.
    I have some. I’ll PM you.

Established Member Two Rings Depthcharge's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Curious as well.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    I have some. I’ll PM you.

Do you still have some I'll take few as well

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by S4_j0e View Post
    Do you still have some I'll take few as well
    I pm.d you, right?

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    91 200 20v

I sent you a PM

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hello
    I’m looking to buy one of the adapters please. Need it asap if possible. Would pay extra for overnight shipping to NY. Please PM me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123