Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Intake Valve Carbon Cleaning Adapter

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey B8 A4 owners!

Not sure how often you guys search in the B8 S4 forum so I wanted to post a few links in case anyone was interested in cleaning the carbon from your intake valves. Long story short, I bought a 92k mile B8 S4 and opened it up to clean the valves with walnut shells. After staring at them wondering how not to make a mess, I enlisted the help of a friend to design and 3D print an adapter for the intake. It worked beautifully but needed an update. We updated the adapter to cover the divider plate holes and it was perfect. I got some feedback from a fellow S4 owner (@jroyalty7) which is in my thread below. I also got feedback from @dirtyaudi that the adapter works on many of the 2.0T motors as well. The ECS links below show which motors use the same intake gaskets and therefore works with the adapter.

If anyone is interested in an adapter please send me a PM.

My original thread:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...me-w-92k-miles

youtube video showing jroyalty7 using it:

https://youtu.be/ffAQU2tckVs

ECS Links

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...et/06f129717d/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/079129717b/

Thanks for looking! I'll post some pictures of the adapters from my iPad.
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; 09-07-2017 at 08:22 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

A picture of the latest adapters, turns out the best material is nylon which is base white. All other colors are dyed so why pay more. The second pic just shows the dyed version. The smaller hole is for the media blaster and can be opened up as needed with a universal or stepped drill bit.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Chevy Silverado, 2011 Yamaha FZ8

Awesome, great post, that will come in handy! The ECS links are broken though, might want to get those updated.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Awesome, great post, that will come in handy! The ECS links are broken though, might want to get those updated.
    Thanks! Links updated.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

This is well done! Did you also think about using soda blasting rather than walnut? I've seen some interesting videos of soda for a variety of applications including engine parts, but all of them are in situations where you can see and direct the stream which wouldn't work in this application. Since used soda can be rinsed away with water, I can see using it for other part cleaning applications, taking the part outdoors. Small blaster tools are available like this one
    https://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-...ter-60801.html

I sent a PM about the adapter and would definitely prefer this system over chemicals, having recently done mine.
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Established Member Two Rings Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Chevy Silverado, 2011 Yamaha FZ8

You can get a hand-held gravity fed one for about $20 and always remember to use organic walnuts, our engines weren't designed to digest all those chemicals...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    This is well done! Did you also think about using soda blasting rather than walnut? I've seen some interesting videos of soda for a variety of applications including engine parts, but all of them are in situations where you can see and direct the stream which wouldn't work in this application. Since used soda can be rinsed away with water, I can see using it for other part cleaning applications, taking the part outdoors. Small blaster tools are available like this one
    https://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-...ter-60801.html

I sent a PM about the adapter and would definitely prefer this system over chemicals, having recently done mine.
    Dirtyaudi uses soda with the adapter and it worked great. I preferred walnuts since I wasn't sure how to clean up the soda. With the adapter every single shell went into the vacuum. I had more fall out of the end of my gravity Feds up than lost when spraying.

I think it's quicker with medium coarse shells. I used fine and jroyalty7 finished MUCH quicker than I did.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    You can get a hand-held gravity fed one for about $20 and always remember to use organic walnuts, our engines weren't designed to digest all those chemicals...
    I was worried about cleanup in my garage. Don't know enough about soda but I did like that the walnuts would simply burn off if they happened to get into a cylinder.

Jroaylty7 bought a pressurized blaster and hated it. It wasn't shooting and then the house broke off the can and blew walnuts all over his garage. I used the same one he did, pic is in the thread.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Still have a few left in this batch is anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Got another batch in, can ship Tuesday due to Monday holiday.
    Let me know!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Pm me price and PayPal please

Established Member Four Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How much are they?
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

Active Member Two Rings two80one's Avatar
    AZ Member #

please PM me with price.

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L03 using Tapatalk
    2010 A4 Avant Quattro 2.0T Sport

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_B8 View Post
    Pm me price and PayPal please
    PM'd, sorry for the delay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    How much are they?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by two80one View Post
    please PM me with price.

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L03 using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Got another batch in, can ship Tuesday due to Monday holiday.
    Let me know!

Pm with price please

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Made some blanks on the suggestion of archangel.308 and curious if you guys think this would be useful even outside of carbon cleaning.

Getting quotes today from vendors so no idea on cost yet.

Senior Member Two Rings archangel.308's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 A4/B8 Quattro Sport Pkg / 2011 Audi Q5 S-Line / 2011 A5/B8 Convt.

Decided to do the cleaning, the adapter is an excellent tool and anyone that is thinking of do this job themselves know its worth every penny.
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson
    MODS: Sprint Booster - EC Front Mount Intercooler - EC HFI pipe - EC Alu Kreuz - EC Rotomass Pulley - EC HFC - 42 Draft Design 02 spacer - APR Stage 2+ - 034 Motorsport Transmission Mount - Apikol Rear Diff Mount - Milltek Cat Back Exhaust

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.308 View Post
    Decided to do the cleaning, the adapter is an excellent tool and anyone that is thinking of do this job themselves know its worth every penny.
    Awesome! Glad it worked out and thanks for the feedback!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Zeek005 was nice enough to outline his experience and feedback in my original post in the B8 S4 section and i wanted to share here as well. Thanks for the feedback and excellent work, I love DIY!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek005 View Post
    Howdy folks. First post, but lurking for the last month after buying a 2008 A4 2.0T that needed work.

Ordered Ford Prefect's adapter tool for blasting into and sucking out of the intake port. Tool worked great, and saved a bunch of time! He was prompt and east to deal with, even after I screwed up my Paypal payment to him.

What I did that may or may not work for you:

Pulled all the crap out of the way as described by others doing this job. Also did the leaking rear coolant flange at same time, that actually went pretty good with the intake out of the way for better access.
    Hardest part was pulling the intake off. Did not want to pull too hard, as worried about plastic pieces, injector assemblies, etc. After 30 mins of checking things way too many times, finally gave a real good tug and popped off.
    Blue injector O-rings seemed to be the culprits holding the manifold in place. Once you have all 7 bolts and 2 nuts off intake, wiggle it out with more force than you think you should.
    Used a $20 handheld blaster from Canadian Tire with a 500 ml plastic tank on top of the gun, 5mm orifice. Used walnut shell media from Princess Auto.
    Taped off the injector fuel supply openings, did not tape ANYTHING else off.
    Put a cupful of gas into each intake port. Cyl 3 and 4 were tight, cyl one was barely open, cyl two was open by a sixteeth of an inch. Swabbed out / blew dry intake ports.
    Had to extend the gun tip approx. 4 inches with a piece of 1/4 inch threaded pipe to extend the gun back far enough to get out of the way from a few brackets I left on.
    This allowed me to wiggle the gun around to keep the media moving into the gun, as well as use different angles in the intake port.
    Opened up the smaller hole on the adapter a bit to allow more wiggle room with the gun.
    With the Shopvac on bigger port, and blaster in small port, there was barely any mess on the motor, other than when I was curious on why there was no sucking sound, pulled the vacuum end off the port, and stuff spewed all over because I didn't have the vacuum turned on:)
    With cyls 1,3,4 I had to scrape a little bit on the back sides of the port and valve to get some stubborn carbon off.
    Didn't bother cranking engine by hand or starter to close cyl 2 intakes valves.
    Cyl 2 I pretty much scraped by hand, took a while and more hassle with being humped over the engine. I realized that that adapter tool was worth double the price by the amount of time saved by comparing the hand scraped cylinder to the other 3.
    I used the adapter tool to blow compressed air into port, and suck with vacuum at same time to clean up the carbon shavings / walnut material nicely. Was not worried if anything falling into the cylinder as carbon / walnut material would be small enough to pose no concern if it did fall in. Lots f vacuum power and small dose of compressed air was my theory.

Everything went back together nicely, take your time. I broke two electrical connectors taking things off being impatient. The people on here thatthat say you push the connectors into each other first, then push the tab to release are right. Goes much easier. Should have learned after the first one I broke....and I dropped more than a few #30 torx bits somewhere into the belly pan, have spares on hand if you are clumsy like me.

Was a great experience as my 14 year old daughter was helping out a ton due to her newfound interest in cars:)

Car fired up with no issues. Good for a few days now, cylinder #2 misfire has disappeared.

Took me 3 days and about 10 hours total. Next time I could probably do the rear coolant flange and carbon cleaning, and have it fired back up in less than 5 hours once you know what you are getting into.

So, if you need to do this, I highly recommend the adapter! It fit real good and tight, definitely a quality product by Mr. Ford Prefect!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hey guys

I wanted to chime in and give a bit of feedback & recommnedation in regards to carbon cleaning using the intake port adapter provided by FORD PERFECT (aka Richard).

First off, some car history:
    my car is an 08 S5 (4.2 V8) with 140kms on it. I am not the original owner; I am the third.
    The original owner bought the car in Texas (new) and put about 35k miles on it. The second owner put from ~35k miles to 88k kilometers on it. I purchased the car almost 3 years ago, and today the car has 140kms on it.
    I cant say how the previous two owners drove or maintained the car - it ran well, no codes, no strange illegitimate mods done (it was bone stock when i bought it 3 years ago). I however maintain the car very well (mechanically and aesthetically).
    I dont know how either previous owner drove the car: i drive it a mix of slow cruising (mainly cus it guzzles gas) and play around a bit, when its safe to do so. For the past 2 out of 3 years, because of my proximity to work, the car barely would get warmed up before i arrived at work (i was living about 8kms from work). I have recently done a few mods (AWE: airbox, downpipes & 'cat' back; JHM tune)

My car never really showed any signs of carbon issues (no codes or hesitation) but after the exhaust and tune, I figured its a good idea to get it done, as the mileage was getting to where i KNEW the carbon would be getting significant; also to 'maximize' the response from the recent mods: exhaust & tune, and some significant maintenance I did on the car: clutch, trans flush, gear oil flush, new plugs, new coils, oil, checked compression etc. I wanted a 'clean slate' to know that the car was 'really' maintained well.

So i took the car into my mechanic (fyi this is something I'm very comfortable doing myself, as I've done it on many previous street & track cars, as well as my trackbikes), but due to lack of free time, I took it into a friends shop.

They had everything down to the intake off, in about 1 hour (I was pretty shocked at that actually) and had already cleaned out one port, by the time I arrived.

I snapped some pics of one of the dirty ports, one that was cleaned, and the adapter made by FORD PERFECT (Richard)

As you see from the pics, theres significant buildup (but then again my car has 140kms, so its was expected - at least I didnt go through the trouble of pulling everything off and seeing the intake port was fairly clean, that would have been a waste of time)

The adapter Richard made, fit the intake port on the V8 perfectly (i very half-assed tried finding the dimensions of the v8 intake port to see if the adapter would fit, before pulling everything apart; but my mechanic had some adapters he used on BMWs that he said may fit. So, either way I definitely would be getting the ports cleaned).

If this is something you are considering doing, or taking somewhere to get done; I highly recommend picking up the adapter from Richard and using it, or giving it to your mechanic to use.

My mechanic basically hooked his media blaster up to the adapter, put the adapter on the port (and it was able to stay in place on its own), turned the media on and walked away for a minute, then came back and checked and moved onto the next port. They had the carbon cleaning part of this job (the were some leaking orings and stuff they found when the intake was off that they had to fix; which took them a while) completed in about 3-4 hours from start to finish. My mechanic said the adapter significantly cut down on the time required (and the amount of mess, and the time required to try and set up covers everywhere to clean up the walnut shells)

I highly recommend the adapter, and dealing with Richard was a great experience.

Hope this info helps some of you guys

[IMG][/IMG]

AZ Member #
    My Garage

@audix12

You PM box is full, I canít message you back.

Last edited by Ford Prefect; 02-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Senior Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

@audix12

You PM box is full, I. Any message you back.

Is there any way to get something like this for the b7 that anyone knows of?

Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    Is there any way to get something like this for the b7 that anyone knows of?

I live in NH, how hard is it to get to the heads?

Senior Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not very difficult from what Iíve heard, roughly an hour or two maybe? There really isnít that much in the way of pulling the intake manifold

I will attach a picture of the engine bay tomorrow

Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

Senior Member Three Rings Finder's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I need to get one of these. Hopefully it will eliminate all the mess I make when walnut blasting. What is the cost?
    Audi A3 2.0T 6MT - UNITRONIC K04
    Unitronic|IE|Eurojet|Spulen|BSH|GFB|ECS|Fluidampr| Southbend|Wavetrac|SQS|Bilstein|H&R|Tyrolsport|Sup erPro|Powerflex|034|PTP|USP|Neuspeed|Votex|AWE|Mil ltek
    OEM mods: Adaptive Bi-Xenons w/AFS, FB MFSW, S3 cluster, MY2012 RNS-E, dimming mirrors in&out +more

Audi A4 B8 Avant w/ ADS&Tech Pkg - UNITRONIC Stage 2
    Eurocode|CR-15|ECS|Milltek|Votex|AFE
    OEM mods: B8.5 Euro LED taillights, B8.5 RS4 steering wheel+more

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Finder View Post
    I need to get one of these. Hopefully it will eliminate all the mess I make when walnut blasting. What is the cost?
    PMíd you

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Sorry to bump this up, but @Mike10562004 your PM inbox is full and I can't reply. Hopefully you'll see this.

Established Member Two Rings Grisho's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey Ford Prefect, just sent you a private message, interesting tool! :)

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

So I still need to take off everything above intake? Is there a thread for DIY walnut shell blast for carbon cleaning? I thought it needs special equipment and can only be done at some specialized carbon cleaning shops.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRacer100 View Post
    So I still need to take off everything above intake? Is there a thread for DIY walnut shell blast for carbon cleaning? I thought it needs special equipment and can only be done at some specialized carbon cleaning shops.
    You just need a media blaster, shells, and medium mechanical ability, at least on the 3.0T. Of course the adapter keeps things clean by preventing them from blowing everywhere. The intake manifolds should come off so you can actually see the valves in the head.

I only have pics from my 3.0, hopefully someone on here will take some of the 2.0T.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 allroad FBP 6mt, 06 VW Passat Komfort, 08 VW Touareg V8 FSI

Interested! Could you please PM me contact/pricing details? Thx!

Senior Member Two Rings homegrowna4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do you have any of these available right now?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Hyundai Tuscon Limited

Being fairly new to Audi I do not understand all this cleaning of intake valves. Is this a problem because of direct injection engines? Have owned a large number of cars over my lifetime and have never had a problem of this type. Is this going to be a problem with my 2014 A4 w/36k mi. If so, where is the mileage threshold?
    2016 Q5 prem plus 2.0 Glassier White Metallic/Beige

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by greasykid View Post
    Being fairly new to Audi I do not understand all this cleaning of intake valves. Is this a problem because of direct injection engines? Have owned a large number of cars over my lifetime and have never had a problem of this type. Is this going to be a problem with my 2014 A4 w/36k mi. If so, where is the mileage threshold?
    Yes, it's related to direct injection and it's not just an Audi issue. The intake valves are not washed with fuel from the injectors with a DI engine and gradual carbon buildup is inevitable.
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by homegrowna4 View Post
    Do you have any of these available right now?
    I do, Iíll PM you.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greasykid View Post
    Bingo to what @jfo said. Iím not sure of the severity on the 2.0T but eventually youíll need it done, especially if you modify.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Bingo to what @jfo said. Iím not sure of the severity on the 2.0T but eventually youíll need it done, especially if you modify.

Your inbox is full if you could pm me I have PayPal ready if you have any left , I have a 15 s4 and a 14 a4 daily that are needed haha

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by b8.5 View Post
    Your inbox is full if you could pm me I have PayPal ready if you have any left , I have a 15 s4 and a 14 a4 daily that are needed haha
    Sorry about that! Iíll clean them up this evening. I have plenty. If youíd like to email me you can, rich.ratliffe@icloud.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Inbox has been downloaded and deleted. All PMís replied to.

The S4 guys werenít kidding, FWIW A4 (and 2.0T in general) owners are winning in the DIY category for carbon cleaning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast