Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1 I like, 1 I don't mind, 1 that's free.

Coilovers and squeaking

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Why is it that coilovers are more likely to squeak than conventional setups? Is it strictly because the springs are threaded to the shock body? Is the noise really that noticeable? I know that on some of the serious track setups it can become very audible, but I wouldn't be going to that extreme. Is there anything that can reduce it? If anyone can give a ranking of coilovers from the most quiet to the loudest that would be great.

I have these questions because if I am going to get the best suspension setup for my semi-luxury/upscale automobile, I don't want it to be squeaking and making weird noises that make it sound like a cheap POS.

Thanks in advance for any information that can be given.

Veteran Member Four Rings littlewhite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2 columns & solid white line

My rear squeaks... i think is from my rear sway bar. Did u look into that? it might be that also.

Veteran Member Four Rings jeremy@matrix's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4, B8 S4, B7 A4A, B6 A4, B5 A4, Q7, 958TT, 955TTS, 997C2S, 996TT...

Re: Coilovers and squeaking

Originally posted by Found0302
    Why is it that coilovers are more likely to squeak than conventional setups? Is it strictly because the springs are threaded to the shock body? Is the noise really that noticeable? I know that on some of the serious track setups it can become very audible, but I wouldn't be going to that extreme. Is there anything that can reduce it? If anyone can give a ranking of coilovers from the most quiet to the loudest that would be great.

I have these questions because if I am going to get the best suspension setup for my semi-luxury/upscale automobile, I don't want it to be squeaking and making weird noises that make it sound like a cheap POS.

Thanks in advance for any information that can be given.
    Your coilovers shouldn't make any noise. The only time I notice any noise on our STaSIS TrackSport coilovers is now in the winter when the road dirt/grime gets onto the spring perch and the spring kind of grinds those little rocks. We just cleaned the coilover assemblies off and no more noise.
    Jeremy Williams
    Matrix Integrated Inc.
    www.matrixintegrated.cc