Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is the trans still there? Go get it. ASAP!

So the broken trans crossmember is a good sign; why? Well, the crossmember is supposed to fracture upon impact versus damaging the transaxle, and it doesn't take much impact to fracture the OE B6/B7 crossmember.

See if the car pricing has gone down, the shift linkage is still attached via the two highlight circles: green and pink circles are where the shift linkage needs to be removed before ya car remove the trans.

Edit- update:

I'll have a nice little update for us at the end of the week. Brackets were cut via CNC plasma, waiting for DOM tubing to arrive for a final mockup and welding and we will have mounts all taken care of.
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^Indeed. Grab that thing! I don't have access to these pick-n-pulls like you guys in the warmer climates, so I have to live vicariously through your junkyard adventures.

Pretty sure that silver bracket is just an exhaust hanger. Here it is in-action, holding the downpipe on a B7 2.0T 6MT:

Last edited by walky_talky20; 05-15-2018 at 05:39 AM.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

AZ Member #

Haha...if you plan on re-vamping the B5, let me know and I'll set aside a bunch of stuff for ya all nice and clean. We do not have corrosion over here and I don't need 3 or 4 sets of AWM engine brackets, or accessory brackets etc. and would much rather kick it your way.
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

Senior Member Four Rings Mattr567's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I wasn't planning to do this anymore, but the trans is still there. Someone pulled the engine so it's real easy to grab.
    The most base A4 in the world

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91 | Forge | APR Catback | Valeo SMF | Bilstein B8 | Eibach | Neuspeed RSB | B5 S4 TRE's | 034 Snub | OEM Strut Bar | Ebay SS w/ Pushdown Delete | 2.0T Coils
    BBS | Podi | DDM HID | OEM RS4 Grille | Euro Mirrors | Facelift stuff | Sport Cloths | Euro Trunk | Valeo E Code

Established Member Two Rings dalazybastard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 A4 1.8tqm '01 A4 2.8qm '01 S4 '03 A4 1.8tqm '02 F350 7.3

I have been following for a while, but havenít been motivated as my 01a is pretty stout and I already have a good spare.

Just a thought, the B6/B7 linkage looks very similar to a B5 S4 linkage.

My 01e isnít the best, and when playing around with the gear ratios for the GJV 02x and the 01e S4 trans it doesnít look horrible.

S4:

3.0 B6:

My thoughts is that maybe for us S4 owners whom have issues with shift collars and such could swap to an 02x with just about the same work.

We would get some longer gearing which isnít too bad when we are making loads of torque.

If any have the measurements for the lengths of the shift linkages maybe we could find a solution for the S4 owners.

Also on another note, with access to fab work one could make a DTS bar that utilizes the B5 mounts trans mounts(the and comes down and cradles the transmission.

In doing this design there will be more room for downpipes.

But, the only issue is for 1.8tqm as the driver? side mounting point is different if I recall correctly.

This is something Iíve been tossing around for the past week and Iíd simply thought Iíd share. Hopefully it gives people ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '01 A4 1.8tqm Light Silver Metallic STG 1 (Pseudo-Daily)
    '01 A4 2.8qm Brilliant Black (Daily)
    '01 S4 6sp Imola Yellow
    '03 A4 1.8tqm Avant Atlas Grey

Previous :'05 Passat 1.8t 4mo. Wagon (In family), '05 Corolla XRS

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    girls MK4 1.8t
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by dalazybastard View Post
    I have been following for a while, but havenít been motivated as my 01a is pretty stout and I already have a good spare.

Just a thought, the B6/B7 linkage looks very similar to a B5 S4 linkage.

My 01e isnít the best, and when playing around with the gear ratios for the GJV 02x and the 01e S4 trans it doesnít look horrible.

S4:

3.0 B6:

My thoughts is that maybe for us S4 owners whom have issues with shift collars and such could swap to an 02x with just about the same work.

We would get some longer gearing which isnít too bad when we are making loads of torque.

If any have the measurements for the lengths of the shift linkages maybe we could find a solution for the S4 owners.

Also on another note, with access to fab work one could make a DTS bar that utilizes the B5 mounts trans mounts(the and comes down and cradles the transmission.

In doing this design there will be more room for downpipes.

But, the only issue is for 1.8tqm as the driver? side mounting point is different if I recall correctly.

This is something Iíve been tossing around for the past week and Iíd simply thought Iíd share. Hopefully it gives people ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    there are B5 RS4 owners across the pond who are utilizing them already.
    Stupid drift A4

R.I.P RWD-converted '99 A4 Avant 1.8T

Veteran Member Four Rings A1 A2 German's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B5, Audi Fox, Audi AMLS TT, GS450, CB175, CL175
    Items for Sale

Yes, we've kicked around idea of using the oem trans pick up subframe points to route a dts underneath the bell housing, in addition keeping the rear front subframe dts.
    Having a bucket that runs 10's is like saying you have a 200lb girlfriend but she's good in bed.

AZ Member #

We have progress. 100' of 4130 in 1" diameter (0.065) ordered and just made quite a few brackets. One of my best friends who does fabrication and welding for a living will be doing all the welding and assembly for us.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This is cool.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12