Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AZ Member #

B5 01X and 02X Conversion Thread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Been working on this over my Summer break with a lot of help from Blake (A1 and A2 German) and we have made quite a bit of progress.

Brief introduction for those who may not be familiar with these transmissions, the 01X is the transmission found in 2005-08 Fronttrak A4's, while the 02X is found in 2004-08 Quattro A4's. One of the primary advantages to 01X and 02X transmissions are the gear ratios; seen below, gear ratios generously favor smaller displacement engines regardless of modifications or turbocharger size, and feature a 6th gear that is great for cruising down the highway while keeping engine RPMs low. For example, 80mph in my '05 Ultrasport Avant is approximately 3200 RPMs.
    I will be converting my 2001.5 Avant with a GJW 02X transmission removed from a 2004 A4. Since the GJW has the 4.11:1 final drive, I sourced a tiptronic rear differential to match the transmission.

Driveshaft: for quattro vehicles, a tiptronic driveshaft appears to be a drop-in solution. The 02X and 01V transmissions have an identical length (35.5'') and the same flange dimensions. I will be installing mine this week to confirm.

Axles: After installing the 02X, I did a test fit with the stock '04 axles and both fit without modifications.

Clutch and flywheel: 012/01A share the same spline dimensions as 01X/02X. I will be running a Valeo single mass conversion for right now.

VSS single will be acquired from a digital GPS unit (cannot remember brand, model etc.) with minimal modifications to the engine harness. Since there are no provisions on 01X and 02X cases for side mounting brackets, an AWE Tuning Drivetrain Stabilizer will be adapted and incorporate the transmission mount.

Gear chart:

Shift box install...

Comparison; 02X transmission shown on top, 01A below:

Shift linkage assemblies; 02X linkage on left, 01A linkage right:

Comparison of B6 shift box (bottom) to B5 shift box (top). 02X shift linkage and shifter (bottom) can be directly transferred to a B5 selector box by removing the two 6mm allen fasteners attaching linkage to the shifter and 4-T25 torx screws:

Ready to install, B5 selector box with B6 shifter and 02X linkage:

Box installed and bolted to trans without any modifications, shown in first gear:

More to come! Tomorrow I will load the gifs that compare shift throw between the old 5spd 01A and 6spd 02X.
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

Veteran Member Four Rings down_n_dapper's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This looks very promising, in for updates!

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Audizine mobile app
    Maintaining a 12 year old Audi is about as expensive as Charlie Sheen's coke habbit.
    00' Silver B5 1.8TQM
    | Wheels coming | Depo Projector Retrofit (clear lense) | BC Coilovers |
    Kenwood Headunit + 4" F +Jl 6" R + 10" Sub | TFSI Coils |
    | 2.5" turbo back exhaust | K04 RS6 Hybrid Turbo|

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

10/10. A+. Would thread again.

I considered the 02X when I was doing my 5-speed swap. But they were pretty expensive then and I had no idea that a tiptronic driveshaft would work. For a swap, that means you don't need to anything with the rear diff OR driveshaft. The mounting and VSS would be the largest hurdles, then.

I'm interested in details on the front axles. I've heard the B6 axles are longer due to wider front track. Persons that, for instance, used a B5 donor to 5MT swap a B6 ran into problems with axles that were too short. I'm curious to see if you have any issues in that area.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Veteran Member Four Rings demonmk2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

Are the newer transmissions stronger than the 01A's?
    MODS

Things'n stuff

Veteran Member Four Rings A1 A2 German's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B5, Audi Fox, Audi AMLS TT, GS450, CB175, CL175

Reserved: Will re-fill with info later

This is for B5 Fronttraks who are interested in swapping from the weak oem 5 speed, to a ~modern stronger 6 speed, being an A4 B7 2.0T 6 Speed Transmission Code : GVT

Using B6 and/or B7 front axles, regaurdless of being from a B6/B7 Fronttrack or Quattro donar car, will fit a B7 GVT transmission and should slide right into B5 hubs perfectly (this will be confirmed shortly).

Parts Needed:

#1) A4 B7 GVT transmission
    #2) A4 B7 front axles (or B6 axles)
    #3) A4 B7 shift linkage (using your exsisting B5 shift box)
    #4) Aftermarket Speed Sensor Unit
    #5) AWE lower billet brace

Things to consider, about:

#4) Aftermarket Speed Sensor Unit: The B7 GVT trans has no VSS like the B5. There are a couple ways to tie into the B5 female VSS Bosch plug to send a single to the dash to get a working speedo:

- Dakota Digital system which ties into your abs speed sensor
    - Dakota Digital system which you mount magnets on to an axle and use a ~hall type sensor to read the spin.
    - Dakota Digital system using simply gps.

#5) AWE lower billet brace: The GVT trans has no side trans mounting brackets like a B5, a B7 uses a factory lower brace with a transmission mount. We are working on mocking a B5 AWE billet lower brace to the oem B7 trans bracket to secure it.
    Last edited by A1 A2 German; 08-27-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    Having a bucket that runs 10's is like saying you have a 200lb girlfriend but she's good in bed.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    DG 2004.5 A4 1.8T USP

Subscribing, as a 1.8T B6 owner with an 02X transmission. Good luck!

Thanks,
    Asif
    USP CLUB MEMBER #101

2004 A4 1.8T USP - APR Stage 2+, Mototec Sport Exhaust w/AWE downpipe, Valeo Clutch Kit, 2.0T FSI Coils, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Boosted Intake, B5 S4 Front Brakes, RNS-E + Bluetooth Module, VMR 708s (RS4 Reps), Boost Brothers FMIC, '02 OEM Sport Suspension + B5 Front Perches, PODi, JHM Solid Short Shifter, JHM Solid Linkage Upgrade, and a lot more stuff!

Veteran Member Four Rings demonmk2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

Quote Originally Posted by demonmk2 View Post
    Are the newer transmissions stronger than the 01A's?
    More specific the 3rd gear
    MODS

Things'n stuff

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by K-1
    Diff to 4:1 why not

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    10/10. A+. Would thread again.

I considered the 02X when I was doing my 5-speed swap. But they were pretty expensive then and I had no idea that a tiptronic driveshaft would work. For a swap, that means you don't need to anything with the rear diff OR driveshaft. The mounting and VSS would be the largest hurdles, then.

I'm interested in details on the front axles. I've heard the B6 axles are longer due to wider front track. Persons that, for instance, used a B5 donor to 5MT swap a B6 ran into problems with axles that were too short. I'm curious to see if you have any issues in that area.
    Exactly, an auto to manual conversion candidate would be perfect for an 02X. I spent a few days recording dimensions of various Audi products at local wrecking yards and was really surprised when I measured the overall length of an 01V, as I feel the biggest hurdle for an 02X setup in a B5 was the driveshaft. I pulled the 02X back out today with the motor to install new parts; I will compare axle lengths and transmission dimensions to see how much wider things are. B5 shafts with B6 inner CVs may be an option if we have an issue.

Edit- 4:1 differential mod I think would be awesome for this setup
    Xlite w/ 11spd Campy Record- 2005 Dolphin Grey Ultrasport Avant 6MT-- 2001.5 Light Silver Metallic Avant 5MT w/ Sludge Package --1979 Scout II

Established Member Two Rings thrilos5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Subsribed

Established Member Two Rings Gbomer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

any updates from the weekend ?
    99 A4 1.8TQ

Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | Brembo BBK |

Power
    Comp Turbo CT3-5356 0.63 A/R, Billet - ETT | Haltech PS1000 | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

AZ Member #

Yep! I'll post everything in the next 24hrs and get all the numbers crunched.

Minor update- B5 slave does work with the 01X/02X.

AZ Member #

so she's all buttoned up and running ?
    99 A4 1.8TQ

Handling

Power
    Comp Turbo CT3-5356 0.63 A/R, Billet - ETT | Haltech PS1000 | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Volvo S60R, B5 A4 1.8TQM Avant

If I have a 99 pre-facelift 1.8T B5 will the axles still fit the hubs or would I need the steering knuckles from a V6 or 01.5 model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    99 A4 1.8TQM Avant
    Stroked/Built/Elim71r/NS intake gasket/port matched head and mani/Big PNP/ECS pulley/FMIC/Relocated DV
    Full 3" stainless/relocated cat/Vibrant res & muf
    Neuspeed/Bilsteins/Kmac/17" Enkei/Bridgestone Potenza
    TT carriers/A8 rotors (front)/B5S4 (rear)/Goodridge hoses/PBR ceramic pads
    S4-RS4 look bumper/Painted rear valance/Valeo one-piece
    Facelift/Pioneer DA120 Apple Carplay/Infinity Reference (front/rear) (Bose deleted)

awaiting: side skirts/paint job

AZ Member #

You could probably just swap your smaller joints onto the 02X axles.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by b5v6 View Post
    If I have a 99 pre-facelift 1.8T B5 will the axles still fit the hubs or would I need the steering knuckles from a V6 or 01.5 model?

This will be confirmed shortly in person :

A) Pre-Face '97 A4 B5 1.8T (Note it's Fronttrak: However it's only the bearing/hub/spline size that matters, aka, as long as my bearing/hub/spline size is the same as your quattro). As far as we see on paper, B7/B6 axles slide right in.

B) As stated before regaurding axles, B6 vs B7, Frontrack vs Quattro, are all the same axles. Please note, however they are all the same, there is a difference between the right and left length, by ~2" or so (which is dumb IMO, as they could of extended the trans case or axle cup out that much more to make them identical). So you'll have to source a drivers and passenger side for the front from a B6/B7.
    Having a bucket that runs 10's is like saying you have a 200lb girlfriend but she's good in bed.

AZ Member #

Alright, sorry for my delay getting this all the data compiled as school has been out of control already.

After measuring all of the axles compressed that I had (6 in total), I found my measurements to be fairly accurate to OE specs regarding axle length. An 02X with stock B6/B7 axles is approximately 2.38mm wider overall when compared to the stock 01A with B5 axles; a difference of 1.19mm per axle. We'll give this a shot and see how things work.

Apologies for my small-ass handwriting.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A mess.

Quote Originally Posted by b5v6 View Post

It would be easier to use the V6 or later 1.8T steering knuckles. I don't know if the axle shafts are the same diameter. The bearings/hubs/splines are not the same.
    2001 B5 Passat 4Mo Wagon, 6sp/1.8T swap. A6Q H+R Race springs, Koni coilover sleeves, Custom 6pt strut bar, A8 front brakes, Hotchkis 35mm S4 front/RS6 rear sway bars.
    Coming soon: Built 2.0T, FrankenTurbo, TT exhaust, , FMIC, 240mm stage 2 clutch.
    2005 Golf 2.Slow, GTI springs, sway bars.
    2001 B5 Passat V6 Wagon, FWD Tiptronic.
    2001.5 B5.5 Passat V6 5sp sedan.
    Former: 91 SHO, 83 5000S Turbo, 78 Supra, 86 Golf, 69 Chevelle SS, 2 Taurus wagons.

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

You could probably just swap your smaller joints onto the 02X axles.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't work, Walky. The spline count of the shafts are different.
    His:
    B7 420-R Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B7/8.5 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Waiting To Purchase 2012 B7 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech.

Hers:
    2002 Toyota Runx, 1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    Unfortunately, this doesn't work, Walky. The spline count of the shafts are different.
    Good to know. Thank you for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by V70R View Post
    Alright, sorry for my delay getting this all the data compiled as school has been out of control already.

After measuring all of the axles compressed that I had (6 in total), I found my measurements to be fairly accurate to OE specs regarding axle length. An 02X with stock B6/B7 axles is approximately 2.38mm wider overall when compared to the stock 01A with B5 axles; a difference of 1.19mm per axle. We'll give this a shot and see how things work.

Apologies for my small-ass handwriting.
    Are you measurements with the axles fully compressed, fully extended, or just "at rest"?

AZ Member #

Axles were measured fully compressed. I removed the axle bolts and compressed the outer CV and stood each axle vertically to record their overall length. If I remember correctly I took three measurements of each axle on two different days, one of my old B5 axles had a bad boot and was prohibiting an accurate reading.

Also- I took into consideration regarding The mating surface for each transmission's flanges. 01A CV joints are recessed approximately 3mm for each flange. Trying to keep things consistent and yield accurate measurements for width comparison of each transmission and their axles.

AZ Member #

Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    99 A4 1.8TQ

Handling

Power

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Update

I'm in a position to install my clutch to the block, bolt the B7 trans to the block and crane it in basically now (I could do it Wed or Thursday)

I have not done so as involvded in another build and primarly, hesitent on craning in the entire assembly by myself. Considering I just did a full engine bay shave along with a minty fresh newly sprayed tubular subframe, and the B7 trans was sandblasted and coated too (aka, need to prevent paint scuffs and scratches).

Update on fitting in axles:

Axles do not fit (axle splines) do not fit my prefacelift hubs. I will be recieving facelift hubs (full uprights) uprights from V70R and should be good to go.

Please note in preface: There might be the possibilty of swaping out the bearing and hub from a facelift into your preface so the B7 axles can slide in.

AZ Member #

Hot damn I am slacking. Alright,so I tossed in the drivetrain today for mockup to test things out and see if this will work, and things look pretty good. I have no clue where I put the new CV joint, so I could not completely bolt it up the driveshaft; as a positive, it allowed for myself to compare the overall length and it's perfect. Sorry for the poor images. I'll snag some better images this Friday after midterms.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Update

- B7 A4 2.0 6 Speed transmission has been successfully mounted to a 1.8T 06A block and installed into the car .

- Facelift Uprights have been installed on my pre-face B5 to except the large B7 axle splines .

- B7 A4 2.0 axles slipped right in and bolted 100% up and spin freely, no binding, and see no issues .

- B7 shift rods are utilized, and bolt directly to the B5 shift box .

- B5 transmission tunnel excepts the much larger B7 trans with no issues, see no issues with shifting, excepts B5 slave cylinder.

- Thee only finilzation and modifcation required to complete the swap are transmission mount brackets, which will bolt to the B7 tran bungs and use the stock B5 pick up points on the subframe which need to be fabricated and will look something like this: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?p=401700

Senior Member Four Rings Mattr567's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Excited for this!!!

Nice seeing more fronttrack content on this forum.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Audizine mobile app
    The most base A4 in the world

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91 | Forge | APR Catback | Valeo SMF | Bilstein B8 | Eibach | Neuspeed RSB | ECS N75 | AP Racing BBK | APR TIP | 034 Snub | OEM Strut Bar | Ebay SS w/ Pushdown Delete | 2.0T Coils
    BBS | Podi | DDM HID | OEM RS4 Grille | Euro Stuff | Facelift stuff | Sport Cloths | Valeo E Code

AZ Member #

Cool. This is cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

How are the 2nd gear synchros in these 01X/02X jobbers? 01A 2nd gear synchro leaves much to be desired.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    girls MK4 1.8t

Cool. This is cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

How are the 2nd gear synchros in these 01X/02X jobbers? 01A leaves much to be desired.
    FTFU
    Stupid drift A4

R.I.P RWD-converted '99 A4 Avant 1.8T

AZ Member #
    My Garage

How are the 2nd gear synchros in these 01X/02X jobbers?
    "All high horsepower modified Fronttrak B7's report here"

I had that thread running for a ~year in the B7 forums, not one single tuner or build reported in, nor could I find one FT build. I did this to gauge the trans and whether I should cryo-dip the guts and see what the breaking point was on 01X GVT's. With all the revisions Audi does, I would bank that they resolved these issues...also see the "wider gear" set upgrade they did which prevents sheared teeth.

And I go from a 5 speed to a 6 speed

AZ Member #

Ben- It's been a long time since I can remember a 2nd gear synchronizer issue with an 01X/02X trans and I have probably driven at least 40+ examples over the years. I've driven my B6 in winter with cold starts around 30* F and it can be slightly notchy for your first few 1-2 shifts, but it quickly goes away. For comparison I am fairly used to double-clutching 01A transaxles in anything below 40* F for the first few miles, and I think this can be attributed to the synchronizer design in 01X/02X trans. I pulled my motor and trans today and subframe, should have mounts made for Blake and I by the end of the weekend.

AZ Member #

^Indeed. I've got ~350k miles on a 1991 01A box (installed in my B5). That darn cold shifting into 2nd takes some skill. #DoubleClutch4Life

AZ Member #

Haha, that's exactly how my B5 was with less than 115k miles; quickly nicknamed it the Deautsch four-on-the-floor aka syncrokiller.

Alright, mount brackets to yield the factory puck mounts to an 01X/02X will be delivered this week. I will probably revise this and design a loop to brace everything in together. Might make trans mount changes down the road a pain, but it will be very secured to the subframe and chassis.

Teaser for fun- B6 crossmember was notched and installed, but only the two main subframe bolts fit on each side. Makes a good template, though!

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4_20T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed

Can you run a DTS style bar like the B5s normally do? Also, what are you doing for speedo?
    - Clint

Current: 05 B5.5 Passat 4motion 1.8T - Jfonz Tune, 034 HFC, Samco TIP waiting to go on: GTRS, 034 FMIC, 630cc Injectors, Bilstein / H&R Suspension
    Totaled: 04 DG B6 Cabby 1.8T - stock forever
    Gone: White '04 S4 2.7T - Stage 2+
    Gone : Fastest B6 A4 ever - 464awhp/12.1@116
    Gone : 05 DG B7 2.0TQ - Stage 1

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4_20T View Post
    Can you run a DTS style bar like the B5s normally do? Also, what are you doing for speedo?
    Yes, I'm running an AWE DTS bar, Tyler is running a notched B6 oem DTS.

AWE looks far more trick and far smaller in volume
    cutting down on clutter however, only has B5 provisions/hardware for a B5 trans and a mount system will have to be fabricated to union the 01X B7 oem trans mount to the B5 AWE DTS bar. If you clearance an oem B6/B7 oem dts to fit, it'll also fit the 01X B6/B7 mount (complete bolt on). However the notch will have to be boxed in (welded) as takes too much material out of the B6 dts to run with out welding.

AWE DTS: More money and trans mount needs to be made, a bracket could be made with most likely no welding.
    vs
    B6/B7 DTS: Cheap if not free, needs to notched, and boxed in via welding, however no dts mount system will need to be fabricated.

We will most likely use Dakota GPS speed modules. They do offer an ~abs tap in unit/speed sensor tap in unit....however figured why cut/hack/and create more wiring when you can get a free standing gps unit and most likely be far cleaner.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A1 A2 German View Post
    I continued this thread onto Tyler's conversion thread. I've already done the swap, now onto doing all the coolant lines, harness, etc so I can start it.
    Thought i'd move this over to the right thread.

As I said theres the perfect donor car in my local yard. They charge about $130-160 for a trans, and $25 per axle shaft. I feel like its the wrong time for me right now but im pretty sure thats a good deal?

I would also need facelift uprights as im PFL.

Other question: What clutch setups are you guys using? I have a Valeo SMF right now, but idk if that would work with the B7 trans...

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS
    APR 91 | Forge | APR Catback | Valeo SMF | Bilstein B8 | Eibach | Neuspeed RSB | ECS N75 | AP Racing BBK | APR TIP | 034 Snub | OEM Strut Bar | Ebay SS w/ Pushdown Delete | 2.0T Coils
    BBS | Podi | DDM HID | OEM RS4 Grille | Euro Stuff | Facelift stuff | Sport Cloths | Valeo E Code

AZ Member #

holy crap I am slacking on this. Once deadweek and all the labs conclude and my last final on Tuesday this project will be my #1 priority.

Matt- buy it. Buy it all. That's a rediculously cheap price and would be well worth it. My B5 S4 is going to be parted out, so if you want the uprights for cheap you could have them.

As for clutch, your existing Valeo setup will work with the 01X, along with your slave cylinder too. I'll be running a TTV flywheel and B7 RS4 clutch.

AZ Member #

holy crap I am slacking on this. Once deadweek and all the labs conclude and my last final on Tuesday this project will be my #1 priority.

Matt- buy it. Buy it all. That's a rediculously cheap price and would be well worth it. My B5 S4 is going to be parted out, so if you want the uprights for cheap you could have them.

As for clutch, your existing Valeo setup will work with the 01X, along with your slave cylinder too. I'll be running a TTV flywheel and B7 RS4 clutch.
    Pretty sure im gonna go for it!

One other question: So I would use my B5 shift box AND shifter right? I would simply bolt up the B7 linkage to the B5 box and be done. I have a short shifter right now that I would like to keep. No push down reverse (facelift).

I just dont have quite all the tools and expertise to pull everything I'll try to get some help.

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

So you will use the B5 shift skeleton(black assembly that is secured to the car via 4 fasteners; see first post) and the shifter and linkage from the B7. The reverse on the 6spd is down and over, so your shifter wouldn't swap over. I'll say this, though- you'll find that the shift throws are much shorter as there's about a 37% reduction in throw compared to the 01A, and is much more precise too.

Edit- perfect! Learning on a car that isn't yours, and if something goes wrong...oops

You could probably support the engine with the mobile cranes they have at the yards, disconnect the linkage and then remove the trans crossmember (would lower the subframe to get the bottom trans bolts). I think you could probably have it out in a few hours.

AZ Member #

So you will use the B5 shift skeleton(black assembly that is secured to the car via 4 fasteners; see first post) and the shifter and linkage from the B7. The reverse on the 6spd is down and over, so your shifter wouldn't swap over. I'll say this, though- you'll find that the shift throws are much shorter as there's about a 37% reduction in throw compared to the 01A, and is much more precise too.

Edit- perfect! Learning on a car that isn't yours, and if something goes wrong...oops

You could probably support the engine with the mobile cranes they have at the yards, disconnect the linkage and then remove the trans crossmember (would lower the subframe to get the bottom trans bolts). I think you could probably have it out in a few hours.
    Ah I see. Idk what SS options are with B7's but JHM probably makes one. The eBay one I have is also very good.

My friend said I should just drop the whole front subframe and unbolt everything on the ground. No one cares about junkyard hoses and random harnesses

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

AZ Member #

So some bad news. I went to the junkyard today to get some stuff and scope out the B7, the damage is a lot worse than I thought. The accident didn't seem to penetrate much from the outside, but the force did. The whole DTS is cracked and the car won't shift into 1, 3, 5 or R. Bent shift fork perhaps from the force of the wreck?

One of the shift linkages looks to be disconnected/missing however?

Axle shafts ok but a little beat up.

Also, the car is in the more expensive part of the yard with newer model cars, about 22% more expensive compared to the normal yard. This isn't looking good, I think I'll just throw some JHM linkage in my B5 box and it'll be alright

99.0 B5 A4 1.8TMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast