Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Are you launching your car? You 60' times are about a tenth and a half off what I usually see when using launch control.

The good news is you dropped a half second off your bone stock time. I'd say the box is working just fine.

Stock 13.353
    Map 1/3 - 12.737
    Map 3/1 - 12.654

Not bad from stock to tuned.
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTUK Products

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron@DTP View Post
    Are you launching your car? You 60' times are about a tenth and a half off what I usually see when using launch control.

The good news is you dropped a half second off your bone stock time. I'd say the box is working just fine.

Stock 13.353
    Map 1/3 - 12.737
    Map 3/1 - 12.654

Not bad from stock to tuned.
    Aaron, unfortunately the 13.3 sec time wasn't an actual trap time. That was me not knowing the track, where the finish line was, no one racing against me, so I messed up and hit the brakes before I crossed the finish line. Trap speed was 70mph.

I didn't get to do a stock run.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

ONE MORE THING...IT MIGHT MATTER...

It just occurred to me...everyone I've seen discuss the launch mode on the S4 has said that they turn the traction control completely OFF when they launch their cars. When I was first showed the launch mode by the Audi Sport rep, he said to do a short press on the traction control button, which puts the traction control into "sport" mode, NOT completely off. That is the way I have always launched my car and it's how I was launching last night.

Now I'm wondering if my times would've been better with the traction control completely off like everyone else says they do. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone know how, exactly, this traction management system works?

AZ Member #

Gotcha. It would be nice to know what the stock to tuned time was.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Two Rings HurrayFive's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you don't have other identical cars at the same track on the same day, you can't directly compare ET and trap speed, stock vs tuned would show you the actual net gain on your car. Seems like every low 12 on a piggyback so far has happened in a near negative DA, which is basically perfect altitude and atmospheric conditions. Your track was at a 1700ft DA when you ran, which is enough to shift your ET by a few 10ths and 2-3MPH of trap speed, compared with inexperience launching at the track and not having enough time to perfect manual shift points, all of that adds up to an S4 that's probably running the same as every other S4 with a DTUK box. Go back and run again without the box and see what the difference is, gives you an excuse for another track night!

2018 P+ S4 - ED Springs - ED Rear Sway Bar
    2015 P+ S3 - SOLD
    2013 Premium A5 - SOLD

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HurrayFive View Post
    If you don't have other identical cars at the same track on the same day, you can't directly compare ET and trap speed, stock vs tuned would show you the actual net gain on your car. Seems like every low 12 on a piggyback so far has happened in a near negative DA, which is basically perfect altitude and atmospheric conditions. Your track was at a 1700ft DA when you ran, which is enough to shift your ET by a few 10ths and 2-3MPH of trap speed, compared with inexperience launching at the track and not having enough time to perfect manual shift points, all of that adds up to an S4 that's probably running the same as every other S4 with a DTUK box. Go back and run again without the box and see what the difference is, gives you an excuse for another track night!
    thank you for the insight brother! I was also wondering if the fact that I literally plugged my box in, started the car, and drove straight to the track (one hour in Comfort mode, cruising on the highway) might've had something to do with it. I hear the car's ECU needs some time to "learn" the new tune to optimize it...if that's true, my car had only an hour to learn its new system, and again, that was cruising on the highway.

I wasn't planning on going back til I had the downpipe installed, but as you say, more data is clearly needed. Another night seems to be in order. Solely for research purposes...ahem...

Senior Member Two Rings HurrayFive's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by madbowler6 View Post
    thank you for the insight brother! I was also wondering if the fact that I literally plugged my box in, started the car, and drove straight to the track (one hour in Comfort mode, cruising on the highway) might've had something to do with it. I hear the car's ECU needs some time to "learn" the new tune to optimize it...if that's true, my car had only an hour to learn its new system, and again, that was cruising on the highway.

I wasn't planning on going back til I had the downpipe installed, but as you say, more data is clearly needed. Another night seems to be in order. Solely for research purposes...ahem...
    No prob! The short answer is yes a little bit, the longer one is it's complicated.

This is definitely the case with an actual ECU tune that rewrites the fueling tables (among many other things) in the ECU. The ECU blends the currently configured tables with historical data to arrive at a result, it takes miles driven and a few start/stop cycles for the short term trims to line up with long term projections and get the full benefit of the tune. In addition, commanded boost and timing all work together with whatever the ECU decides is safe based on fueling, which makes the effect more pronounced because all of these things are rewritten with a tune.

With a piggyback, none of these things change, you're just adding the correct impedance to the boost circuit (and to the fueling circuit, depending on the product, like a JB4) to make the ECU think the car is making a few lbs less boost than it actually is, so it adjusts the boost and the fuel trims to compensate. All of this happens essentially in real time via the wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust that's reading the spent air/fuel mix. Because the ECU is already built to compensate for a large range of altitude and atmospheric conditions to try and produce the same amount of power, the net effect on long term fuel trims is reduced, and while they'll still adjust, it's not as dramatic as an actual tune.

2018 P+ S4 - ED Springs - ED Rear Sway Bar
    2015 P+ S3 - SOLD
    2013 Premium A5 - SOLD

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Brutale 1090, BMW 535ix

I must be in the Twilight Zone or something. My experience with the box is that the difference is very significant. Iím using the new US tune on ď0Ē, but it still flew on 1:3. I have a long history with ECU tunes on my former EVO and STI, ranging from Cobb access port to tweaking maps with my tuner while adding larger turbos, etc. I know that a piggyback is considered only a substitute for custom mapping, but IMO the impact is equal using the DTUK box on my stock build. Not sure how it will work with performance upgrades, but the US representative also has a ton of experience with custom mapping so I expect it will be good.

AZ Member #

Anymore updates or feedback? Iíve been following the DTUK chat on WhatsApp but itís mostly people talking about BMWs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

There's a new review on Audiworld, HERE

There's also feedback coming in on both of the DT Power threads in the S4 Forum and the S5 Forum.

The coolest bit of news lately is someone ran a sub 12 second pass albeit on a favorable track. Even still, getting in the 11s is good progress.

AZ Member #

There's a new review on Audiworld, HERE

There's also feedback coming in on both of the DT Power threads in the S4 Forum and the S5 Forum.

The coolest bit of news lately is someone ran a sub 12 second pass albeit on a favorable track. Even still, getting in the 11s is good progress.

Awesome. Iíll check out the audiworld threads too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Don't tune. Just buy a faster car.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4MB11013 View Post

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Trollololol

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

INTERESTING DAY AT THE STRIP!

This past Sunday, 4/8. Texas Motorplex; Ennis, TX. Not sure of the DA but it was much more favorable than last time I was there. Temperatures started off in the high 40s and peaked around 55-57 degrees or so. This was a data-gathering mission so I can see what my downpipe adds once it's installed. As of this race day, the only mod on my S4 is the DTUK power box. All else bone stock.

FIRST RUN: 47 degrees. Tuner off. Traction control OFF. The underling responsible for handing out the tickets after your passes managed to give me the wrong ticket, so I don't have it to reference, but I ran with my buddy and my time was 12.7 something. Meh.

SECOND RUN: 48 degrees. Tuner off. Traction control SPORT. Ran a 12.681 @ 108.57 mph. These first two runs were about what I was running last time when I had the tuner box on, but that day was also 72 degrees outside (about 25 degrees warmer). I figured this made sense and was looking forward to seeing some good times once I turned the box on.

Full disclosure: for some reason (for which I never received an explanation from the staff), all the other racers were given full trees at the line, but on both of my first two runs, my buddy and I were given pro trees (so all three yellow lights came on at once, then green). totally caught us with our pants down, so our R/Ts were crap, but more importantly for this data, I didn't have nearly as much time to build boost in launch mode. that being the case, I guess this isn't the MOST apples-to-apples comparison possible, because from here on out I made sure to tell the staff to give me a full tree at the line.

THIRD RUN: time to turn the the DTUK on!! Here we go! Temperature was about 50 degrees at this point. Still nice and cool, esp for Texas in April. Tuned to map 3/0, which is the map I had been using around town, which certainly FELT quicker than stock. Traction control OFF. Got a full tree at the line and built good boost in launch mode...I cut a good light and felt like I had a good launch...and yet...this turned out to be by far my WORST run of the day. I repeat: worse than my two stock runs. 12.831 @ 105.97 mph. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, it was very disappointing. I texted Aaron about it and we were both scratching our heads. I still can't explain it.

At this point, some nitwit blew his shit up on the track and we were shut down for like a couple hours. I walked around, ate some food, and wondered why the drag gods had forsaken me. Aaron said screw it, go full boost. I was afraid of a CEL so I only went up to map 3/+2.

FOURTH RUN: my engine had cooled down a bit and it was still only 51-52 degrees outside, so about 20 degrees cooler than my first track day. Traction control SPORT. Cut my best light of the day and...12.386 @ 109.02 mph. So a 0.445 improvement over the previous run. You can imagine my relief! I texted Aaron all excited, told him I was going up to 3/+3 next.

I completed four more passes that day, the next two on 3/+3, and then two more at 3/+2. All four runs were with traction in SPORT mode and all four were within a tenth of a second or less, but the 12.386 on map 3/+2 was my best run of the day and was the only one under 12.4 secs.

Side note: on my second pass of the day (which again was stock, tuner off), my speed in the quarter was my second-fastest of the day, second only to the 109.02 I ran on my best pass. Strange. And again, map 3/0 turned in my worst time and worst speed of the day. I'm still scratching my head over it, esp since it FELT quicker around town.

My next scheduled track day is next Friday, 4/20. Praying the weather cooperates. It's unimaginable in Texas to have weather like this again, so safe bet it will be in the 70s, maybe 60s if I'm lucky. 80s if I'm not. I'll do a few runs with the tuner off again and compare with tuner on...but next time I'll have the Milltek downpipe/high flow cat in.

[IMG][/IMG]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' Ford Escape Titanium (wifes)

Dtuk tune 2+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    AKA: gt5tang

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

excellent. curious, what was the temperature that day? DA?

like you, once I turned my tuner on (and with the exception of that first pass), all the times were remarkably consistent, within a tenth of a second from best to second-worst tuned. over a 1/4 mile that seems remarkably consistent to me.

Registered Member Two Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Looks like great times, GTburn. Do you have any prior to the tuner for comparison?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    17' Ford Escape Titanium (wifes)

Quote Originally Posted by madbowler6 View Post
    excellent. curious, what was the temperature that day? DA?

like you, once I turned my tuner on (and with the exception of that first pass), all the times were remarkably consistent, within a tenth of a second from best to second-worst tuned. over a 1/4 mile that seems remarkably consistent to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    Looks like great times, GTburn. Do you have any prior to the tuner for comparison?
    That is the only setting I used at the track.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    AKA: gt5tang

AZ Member #

There's a new review on Audiworld,
    'I spent countless hours navigating the rather useless DTUK UK website'
    If he did not have the foresight to converse with Andrew @ DTUK, who also provides excellent service (and I have asked him some pretty dumb questions), or peruse the B9 S4 section of Audi-Sport.net UK forum (where there are DTUK threads), then his countless hours wasted was his fault.
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    Plus ~ OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT matte black 19 x 9 wheels with OEM P Zeros~ Audi Carbon Fibre mirror caps ~ Tinting (Front windows & windscreen top band) ~ De-badged
    RS4 style black grille c/w red "quattro" & carbon effect 'OOOO' ~ RS style s/s black tips ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ Eibach Springs 07-22 ~ DTUK Tune/Pedal boxes ~ LED puddle lights 'OOOO'/'quattro'

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S4MB11013 View Post
    OK, I'll bite. I have a B9 S4 Avant. Do I install DTUK twins & Eibachs for the poofteenth of the price or outlay an outrageous amount to get into a RS4, because I want an Audi wagon of that size.
    The RS4 is a V6 (not V8 = no gorgeous sound), but has the performance that I will never, ever see the limit of, yet the S4 with the goodies certainly closes some of the gap. It also makes the S4 a different animal =
    I have a principle, I have the gold, so I rule. My answer is in my signature.
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    Plus ~ OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT matte black 19 x 9 wheels with OEM P Zeros~ Audi Carbon Fibre mirror caps ~ Tinting (Front windows & windscreen top band) ~ De-badged
    RS4 style black grille c/w red "quattro" & carbon effect 'OOOO' ~ RS style s/s black tips ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ Eibach Springs 07-22 ~ DTUK Tune/Pedal boxes ~ LED puddle lights 'OOOO'/'quattro'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123