Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Established Member Three Rings friskuh's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    any update?

Established Member Two Rings TheAsset's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did APR take over production on this or what's going on here?
    2014 Audi S4 Prestige - Misano Red
    IG: @TheAss3t

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsset View Post
    Did APR take over production on this or what's going on here?

Senior Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sorry I think I only updated the FB group and some other post on here...

These cores don't work very well at high boost. I don't think there is enough interaction between the hot intake air and the cool ICs to properly pull the heat out. In other words, I think we need something with a denser fin design.

These cores do run a few degrees cooling just cruising around and at partial throttle(like 15 PSI) they work pretty well. At WOT they pretty much are not there though.

I'm not comfortable beating on my car enough to grab logs to have a good comparison.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

New cores will be sent out to me in a few weeks to test. I was going to test the ones currently in their shop's race car but it has been in the body shop longer than expected.

I believe they are the style above but I know Tyrol was looking into sourcing even denser cores.
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2++ | Current Setup
    452WHP / 443WTQ | 11.352 @ 119.26 | @dirtyaudi

Senior Member Two Rings Indskyz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Subscribing for info

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2010 A6 Prestige 3.0T
    GIAC Stage 2+ w/AWE Pulley 93 & 100 Octane files
    Roc Euro Intake
    2.5" Custom Cat-back Exhaust w/Magnoflow Resonated X-Pipe and Mufflers
    ST Coil Overs, H&R Rear Sway Bar

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

hats off to you for taking all this time testing it.
    S4 B8.5 no track, just enjoying spirited driving.

Veteran Member Four Rings UkuRiSh's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post

These cores don't work very well at high boost. I don't think there is enough interaction between the hot intake air and the cool ICs to properly pull the heat out. In other words, I think we need something with a denser fin design.

These cores do run a few degrees cooling just cruising around and at partial throttle(like 15 PSI) they work pretty well. At WOT they pretty much are not there though.

I'm not comfortable beating on my car enough to grab logs to have a good comparison.

New cores will be sent out to me in a few weeks to test. I was going to test the ones currently in their shop's race car but it has been in the body shop longer than expected.

I believe they are the style above but I know Tyrol was looking into sourcing even denser cores.

This one looks a lot better 5 row vs 3 and probably bigger water pass too va stock one ! Is this same style single pass ?
    2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by UkuRiSh View Post
    This one looks a lot better 5 row vs 3 and probably bigger water pass too va stock one ! Is this same style single pass ?
    Yes, I think we will try a few different styles.

Do you want my 3 pass ones for testing Oleg? I can ask if I can send them your way
    Geoff

AZ Member #

Yes, I think we will try a few different styles.

Do you want my 3 pass ones for testing Oleg? I can ask if I can send them your way
    No really ) I done with this setup and focusing on Twincharger but if they have 2nd generation SC IC on the way I can take thouse for testing.
    2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

Veteran Member Four Rings audistealth's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi S4, 2017 Explorer Sport

1) engine bay looks great
    2) thanks for sharing the research, it's really interesting to follow. I'm sure if anyone gets a working, fairly priced improvement for the ICs, it will sell. Is anyone working with the cts-v crew to share costs and get more data faster?
    3) does the heat wrap on the roc euro intake pipe actually work?
    /// 2012 S4
    RocEuro Intake | AWE/GIAC Stage 2 | 19" Titanium Rotor Wheels 10mm H&R spacers | RS5 BBK & ECS 2pc front/rear wave rotors | Renn RS-51 19x8.5 20.5lbs | JHM LW/HD Pulley | MMI 3G+ rev. G and controls retrofit | vagcom stuff | Jokerz ported coated supercharger | KW V1
    Mid-Atlantic Forum (MD/DC/VA)

Active Member Two Rings AtomicSushi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looking forward to these, but I imagine they won't be ready until proper testing is done, which is what we all would want.

Established Member Two Rings TheAsset's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What's the good word.
    2014 Audi S4 Prestige - Misano Red
    IG: @TheAss3t

AZ Member #

already October and this is not good time to test this thinks anyway!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by UkuRiSh View Post
    already October and this is not good time to test this thinks anyway!
    I'll reach out and see if he has the updated cores yet.

The wet and the cold will make this more difficult to test but not impossible. I generally don't like running logs in the rain due to safety but it wouldn't be the first time.

In ~50f ambient my IATs hit almost 50c by the top of 4th gear so there is some room for improvement but not nearly as noticeable as it would be during the summer.
    Geoff

Established Member Three Rings GID's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you followed my FB post you got a lot of this yesterday. Just formalizing it a bit here.

From L->R: Tyrol Pass, Tyrol Drivers, OE 10 pass, OE 9 pass

OE 9 pass

OE 10 pass

Tyrol Drivers

Tyrol Passenger

Looking at them on the table I was a little concerned the new prototype cores would be too restrictive. Once I put them in though they look great and I don't think they will impede the airflow too much.

The fit on these side to side is much tighter than the OEM cores. In hindsight, I should have measured this but it was very noticeable when installing them.

These are a very tight fit externally too. I had to relocate my meth tap and will likely have some fun figuring out how to run all the coolant lines.

That's all for now, I'll look at it more when I get home from work tonight.

Until then, I'll pretend to be a B5. Albeit, I think it looks much better without a bumper than B5s do :)
    Hey, what did you coat the blower with? I assume it's a thermal displacement coating of some sort? Did you find that it helped at all? Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    2016 A7 - Dakota Gray
    Stage 2 Dual Pulley - ZF8 TCU - Ported Supercharger - 75mm TB - MercRacing HX - Custom mandrel bent downpipe - Custom mandrel bent exhaust

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GID View Post
    Hey, what did you coat the blower with? I assume it's a thermal displacement coating of some sort? Did you find that it helped at all? Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure exactly what the coating is. You can ask Evan @ Tampa if you want to know specifics.

I know it's designed to pull heat out not keep it trapped in. I don't know how effective it is but it looks cool :)
    Geoff

AZ Member #

Would doing what Oleg suggested (using oem cores, welding -12 an fittings & running larger coolant lines) work with stock pump, or would we need to upgrade the pump to run that much more coolant? Also, i think with an open catch can the intercooler cores should run better as mercracing said the cores get dirty with oil from the engine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Why would having more coolant require a bigger pump?

The flow rate through the pump is the same, it would just take longer to circulate the entire volume of the system.

It would just mean that the coolant takes longer to heat up and longer to cool down.

Senior Member Four Rings PeteRock's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    Why would having more coolant require a bigger pump?

The flow rate through the pump is the same, it would just take longer to circulate the entire volume of the system.

It would just mean that the coolant takes longer to heat up and longer to cool down.
    Exactly....this is why most or all of the CPSs that add coolant capacity with an additional reservoir and larger HX include an additional pump....the faster the coolant circulates through the loop without placing additional strain on the pump the better

This is also why the pump mod that makes the OEM pump run at full duty all the time is so commonly used

Pete

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRock View Post
    Exactly....this is why most or all of the CPSs that add coolant capacity with an additional reservoir and larger HX include an additional pump....the faster the coolant circulates through the loop without placing additional strain on the pump the better

This is also why the pump mod that makes the OEM pump run at full duty all the time is so commonly used

Pete
    So -12 AN fittings, one pump to flow the coolant for both coolant setups for the engine & blower, 100% duty cycle mod; is that good or should it need a separate pump for the blower

AZ Member #

Can someone point me to the 100% duty cycle mod?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    Can someone point me to the 100% duty cycle mod?
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...100-duty-cycle

Senior Member Two Rings Phil.Lmbrt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

Quote Originally Posted by friskuh View Post
    So -12 AN fittings, one pump to flow the coolant for both coolant setups for the engine & blower, 100% duty cycle mod; is that good or should it need a separate pump for the blower
    The blower already has a separate pump
    2012 S4
    Brilliant Black | 6MT | Sports Diff | B&O
    Uni Dual Pulley | 3.208 Ratio | Roc-Euro | CTS | USP | 034 | JHM | PLM | BFI | P3cars | Rotiform | CR-15 | Macan Calipers | StopTech | Hawk Performance | Snow Performance | Airlift Performance | Accuair

Established Member Two Rings Blackb8.5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Audi S5, 2007 Honda FIT, 2018 Toyota Camry

Any progress on this?

Senior Member Three Rings scmtkings4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blackb8.5 View Post
    Any progress on this?
    Last I heard they hit a snag on the development

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
    2014 S5

AWE Touring Exhaust l ECS Intake l EPL Dual Pulley 93 l AMS Alpha Cooler

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scmtkings4 View Post
    Last I heard they hit a snag on the development

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
    Sad to hear it, thanks for the update regardless

AZ Member #

I donít think that these were ever going to be game changers anyway

Maybe worth a few degrees at best for those with other cooling mods already

Would be nice to have a more durable option to the OEM ICs but if they were going to be 3x the price I think I would rather take my chances with the OEM ICs and use the $$$ for something else

Pete

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I donít think that these were ever going to be game changers anyway

Maybe worth a few degrees at best for those with other cooling mods already

Would be nice to have a more durable option to the OEM ICs but if they were going to be 3x the price I think I would rather take my chances with the OEM ICs and use the $$$ for something else

Pete
    I looked at it more along the lines of after buying everything available OTS performance wise for the car, it's one more step of bullet proofing the car.

It would be a plus if they dropped the IAT's down more but if the results where same as stock, I wouldnt complain much knowing at least they wont fail.

Mike

AZ Member #

I just sent him another message. I haven't had much contact with him the last couple months.

I know his track car he was using to test the ICs got some body damage and was in the shop. Then he was in some kind of accident and recovering from that.

Hopefully, all is well now.
    Geoff

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blackb8.5 View Post
    I looked at it more along the lines of after buying everything available OTS performance wise for the car, it's one more step of bullet proofing the car.

It would be a plus if they dropped the IAT's down more but if the results where same as stock, I wouldnt complain much knowing at least they wont fail.

Mike
    Donít get me wrong I would buy them if they come to market and are somewhat reasonably priced ($1,000?) even if they only dropped IATs by a few degrees....I already have the killer chiller, AMS Alpha CPS and spray W/M for cooling so I canít imagine that I would get much more from them....I would do it for the durability factor more than anything

Pete

Established Member Two Rings [waZZup]'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Donít get me wrong I would buy them if they come to market and are somewhat reasonably priced ($1,000?) even if they only dropped IATs by a few degrees....I already have the killer chiller, AMS Alpha CPS and spray W/M for cooling so I canít imagine that I would get much more from them....I would do it for the durability factor more than anything

Pete
    You can't tell for sure about their reliability compared to OEM until plenty of hard tuned cars run them for the same milage as they run with OEM. Isn't it better to buy a genuine kit for half price (if they really will cost $1000, but I'm afraid they will be more) only when really needed instead of paying twice (or more) for not yet proven quality? You are not going to own the car till the end of your life, are you? Stock coolers don't die so often and you can't be so unfortunate for this purchase to pay off. IMHO.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by [waZZup] View Post
    You can't tell for sure about their reliability compared to OEM until plenty of hard tuned cars run them for the same milage as they run with OEM. Isn't it better to buy a genuine kit for half price (if they really will cost $1000, but I'm afraid they will be more) only when really needed instead of paying twice (or more) for not yet proven quality? You are not going to own the car till the end of your life, are you? Stock coolers don't die so often and you can't be so unfortunate for this purchase to pay off. IMHO.
    I honestly donít think that these will make it to market and I havenít had an IC fail yet so I thatís why I initially said that I wouldnít be in a rush to buy them.....Iím not confident that the juice is worth the squeeze here and would wait and see if these were actually released at a reasonable price

If they are priced right and prove to reduce IATs and can withstand abuse I would consider them but would definitely rather spend the money somewhere else

And ICs have been failing pretty regularly around here lately

Pete

Established Member Two Rings [waZZup]'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

I honestly donít think that these will make it to market
    Me too)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi TTQC 225, 2003 VW GTI 20thAE, 2013 S5 6MT

Dead in the water?

Senior Member Four Rings Rodizzle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What ended up happening ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 S4 IE E40 Stage 2+ & TCU 11.32@119.98

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Rodizzle View Post
    What ended up happening ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll ping Greg, he's popped back up in the FB group so might be interested in continuing.
    Geoff

Senior Member Three Rings scmtkings4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Last I heard direct from Tyrol, they had run into a snag in one of their tests and they are unsure if it could be fixed.
    2014 S5

AWE Touring Exhaust l ECS Intake l EPL Dual Pulley 93 l AMS Alpha Cooler

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314