Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Denio24 View Post
    Ie rods come balanced, and the crank is already balanced!!! Though i guess one can do it if the paranoia is too much lol....edit, forgot the flywheel.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    New Crank from IE had to be balanced.

Established Member Three Rings brock2428's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Cut those balance shaft gears out and get a fluidampr.
    Also why would I cut out my balance gears out on a brand new pump
    Itís got a long life before Iíll have any oil issues and I would replace it before they come up anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings Denio24's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you're daily driving it as well as autocross or track racing with high revs, it's probably better to cut the shafts or remove the gear. The reasoning behind this is that when the engine is oil starved the shafts are usually first to go which can wreak havoc on the rest of the engine. It doesn't matter if you have a new or old pump, it just depends on what you plan on doing with the car.
    Garage: 2008 Quartz Gray Audi A4Q 6MT
    Tuning: JHM Tuned Stage 2 93 Octane w/ IE HPFP

AZ Member #

It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you're daily driving it as well as autocross or track racing with high revs, it's probably better to cut the shafts or remove the gear. The reasoning behind this is that when the engine is oil starved the shafts are usually first to go which can wreak havoc on the rest of the engine. It doesn't matter if you have a new or old pump, it just depends on what you plan on doing with the car.
    I am going to be daily driving it and it will be seeing th drag strip not sure about auto cross yet
    But Iím not gonna go crazy with high revs at this stage

AZ Member #

AUSTRALIAN JHM STAGE 3 build

Just installed this awesome flat bottom steering wheel from axis !
    Looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using AudizineIMG_0616.JPG
    Last edited by brock2428; 06-20-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by brock2428 View Post
    Also why would I cut out my balance gears out on a brand new pump
    Itís got a long life before Iíll have any oil issues and I would replace it before they come up anyway

You wouldn't. You did the right thing by buying a brand new OEM pump. You run into problems when you build your motor and throw in your tired old pump or throw in a pump that isn't meant for the car. You'll have no issues with that new OEM pump, at least not for a very long time.

If I ever build the block on my car I'll just do drop in rods and a brand new OEM oil pump. It will suck to chew down 1600 bucks for the new OEM pump but I feel it's the right move.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    You wouldn't. You did the right thing by buying a brand new OEM pump. You run into problems when you build your motor and throw in your tired old pump or throw in a pump that isn't meant for the car. You'll have no issues with that new OEM pump, at least not for a very long time.

If I ever build the block on my car I'll just do drop in rods and a brand new OEM oil pump. It will suck to chew down 1600 bucks for the new OEM pump but I feel it's the right move.
    Itís good to finally hear some support !

I was just gonna do rods but I was one of the lucky ones that got the great pistons rings installed form factory ! So I decided to go ahead and do it all

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

My car has really even compression, well over 200 psi so the block appears to be pretty healthy. Drop in rods, new rings, a light hone and a new oil pump should be more than enough.

If you do too much without good reason, it seems people run into problems. Especially since the rods and the oil pump really seem to be the limiting factors so I'm only going to focus on them.

It will be a while before I even consider engine work though. I've got some running issues to sort out with my K04 before I even go there.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    My car has really even compression, well over 200 psi so the block appears to be pretty healthy. Drop in rods, new rings, a light hone and a new oil pump should be more than enough.

If you do too much without good reason, it seems people run into problems. Especially since the rods and the oil pump really seem to be the limiting factors so I'm only going to focus on them.

It will be a while before I even consider engine work though. I've got some running issues to sort out with my K04 before I even go there.
    Very true !
    I think mine was like 140 across all 4 last time I got it done and a leak down test showed the rings where on there way out

Will still be awhile before the work starts to happen !
    Still need to go to strip on the stock block and see what I can do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123