Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4 Convertible

Reglueing Rear Window

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Last project on my 2005 S4 Cab is to reattach the rear window, which like so many others has come unglued from fabric.

Seems best choice for adhesive is a polyurethane base.

1. Tried removing existing adhesive from fabric with Goof OFF, sand paper, die grinder with abrasive disc. All these generated too much heat.
    2. I have had good results with using a razor blade to expose the fabric and hopefully get a good bond with the urethane.

Anyone have experience with regluing?

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by Dagear View Post
    Last project on my 2005 S4 Cab is to reattach the rear window, which like so many others has come unglued from fabric.

Seems best choice for adhesive is a polyurethane base.

1. Tried removing existing adhesive from fabric with Goof OFF, sand paper, die grinder with abrasive disc. All these generated too much heat.
    2. I have had good results with using a razor blade to expose the fabric and hopefully get a good bond with the urethane.

Anyone have experience with regluing?
    Not entirely sure if this is what you are looking for, but it's worth taking a peek & see if it helps. In this convertible only section, " Props for Rhino Glue top glass repair " @ keithwbloom. Good description & pics if it is what you are looking for.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4 Convertible

OK looking for best source for replacement top. My repair failed on the first 90F day.

Veteran Member Four Rings euronyc's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    many

rhino glue

Active Member Two Rings S5RagTop's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Double sided 3M tape works the best.
    Has to be 3M tape though, provided their are 2 sides that are smooth. I haven't looked closely at any Audi windows though....

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I used gorilla clear with some suction cup clamps I got off amazon from england. They worked great, its been about 2 months and no sign of failure. I didn't take any pictures but it took an evening to glue up both bottom sides. I can get the name of the clamps if there is any interest. They cost about $45 and even if I have to do it again in a year I'm money ahead over a new top.

Veteran Member Three Rings lyates1987's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mine is completely separated except for the middle bottom section, yall think it's FUBAR? I'm having a difficult time getting the top portion to stretch back over the glass even with something pushing from under like a big comforter

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4 Convertible

I redid my entire rear window first did the pieces that were unglued and then I pulled back the rest. Trey leave the tension on the rear window I placed a soccer ball between the frontage and the windshield
    I removed old glue using razor blade as a pull style scraper

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings lyates1987's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think in my case the outter fabric is contracted to the point of no turning back. I can't seem to pull the top part back over the glass. I will try your soccer ball method and see if that gets me anywhere.

AZ Member #

I just did the bottom corner of my 2008 with 3M Window Weld and those suction cup clamps. The clamps, Window Weld and 3M primer can be found on Amazon for about $80. Since it was hard to use multiple clamps in the small area I used small pieces of wood as clamping cauls to spread out the pressure. Let it sit overnight and trimmed excess with a razor.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nac nac View Post
    I just did the bottom corner of my 2008 with 3M Window Weld and those suction cup clamps. The clamps, Window Weld and 3M primer can be found on Amazon for about $80. Since it was hard to use multiple clamps in the small area I used small pieces of wood as clamping cauls to spread out the pressure. Let it sit overnight and trimmed excess with a razor.
    Sorry for the bump. I have just recently found this thread section. X2 on the 3m window weld. Both lower corners came loose and opened up. It makes a heck of a mess, so wear gloves, but with a good amount of glue and pressure from inside and out, It holds great. Reusing the tube can be somewhat of PITA, though.
    2005 A4 Cabriolet Quattro, 3.0L