Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is there a way to replace just the sunroof glass with a piece of carbon? You obv wouldnt get the weight savings of a full carbon roof but seems like it could be a simple and good-looking weight saver - probably just need to cut a piece of prp plastic in the right size, carbon coat it, remove the sunroof glass and glue it into place permanently.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    Every hundred pounds is worth a tenth over 1/4 mile. It equates to about 10hp generally.
    Is this a linear formula? Does it apply to heavy cars the same as as it would on lighter cars?
    Iím reading this as to lose a second in the 1/4 mile, you have to lose 1,000 lbs.
    2006 Audi A3 for daily stuff.
    Rusted up 1990 Toyota 4Runner for really rough Colorado Terrain.
    2013 Ibis white Audi RS5. Stock except for wheels.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AsherAudi View Post
    Is there a way to replace just the sunroof glass with a piece of carbon? You obv wouldnt get the weight savings of a full carbon roof but seems like it could be a simple and good-looking weight saver - probably just need to cut a piece of prp plastic in the right size, carbon coat it, remove the sunroof glass and glue it into place permanently.
    Iíve had similar thoughts. Not the part about glueing though. It seems like an easy piece to fabricate and replace the tempered glass. I think Lexan might be an option if you want the sun in. I imagine the whole hole on top is reinforced and heavy to help with rigidity.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Frt fenders are very light Aluminum but the hood is a ton and relatively high CG.

AZ Member #

Iím feeling strongly about eventually getting a carbon fiber hood as my next major weight reduction. It seems a lot easier to reduce weight in the rear, for example, rear seat removal, trunk junk removal, lightweight battery. The front of these cars are very heavy and at a certain point I think the car will be unbalanced. I donít know what that point is. Just doesnít feel right to be only removing weight from the rear on a front heavy car.
    I sometimes wonder if Audi purposely used a massive battery, relocated, to add weight to the rear of the car for balance.

Established Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post
    Iím feeling strongly about eventually getting a carbon fiber hood as my next major weight reduction. It seems a lot easier to reduce weight in the rear, for example, rear seat removal, trunk junk removal, lightweight battery. The front of these cars are very heavy and at a certain point I think the car will be unbalanced. I donít know what that point is. Just doesnít feel right to be only removing weight from the rear on a front heavy car.
    I sometimes wonder if Audi purposely used a massive battery, relocated, to add weight to the rear of the car for balance.
    I had the entire nose off my car last weekend to take measurements of various components and space. The front nose is a heavy SOB. No cheap way to replace it with carbon fiber. I think a lot of the weight is the grille itself by the feel of it.

The hood is a good, easy place to remove weight.
    Instagram: redmist5 Youtube; https://tinyurl.com/redmistvideos
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I bought a Seibon hood for my B8.5 S5 (same hood as RS5) and the quality is very good, they've probably improved over the years. I did have to wait 7 or 8 months for it. They normally stock the B8 hood but for right now they are only doing the B8.5 hood about twice a year. I'm tempted to throw the hood on the RS5 but then I'd have to paint the RS5 hood to match the S5...or just wait and order another Seibon hood. Choices...and money. But Yoda1 you're right, you don't want to remove too much weight off the rear of a nose heavy car. The battery will help in straight line acceleration but it is low CG weight. The hood is definitely on the front and higher up in the air so it should help acceleration as well as handling. I'll probably still go for a lighter weight battery too since it is so easy to swap. Hard to get too much weight off the front as you've got some heavy but needed things up there, Radiator (filled with heavy Coolant~8.5lbs per gallon mixed), Condenser (unless you want to give up your A/C). Wheels are another easy one but not cheap. We talked about this before and I will probably sell my rotor wheels, seems there is still a good market for them, that will make the better and lighter replacement wheels cheaper.
    2003 RS6
    2001 tt AMU
    1974 911
    2006 CTTS
    2013 S5

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Not sure what ever happened to the RevoZsport group buy for the B8.5 vented hood but it had a carbon fiber option and looked to be quite light. I checked their web page and they have not listed the product yet so maybe it's still being manufactured.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...eaeZQ/viewform
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

Established Member Two Rings ezridah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s vier View Post
    I hope to have it installed in a few weeks.

I was always on the fence about the Li batteries what with astronomical $ and rumors of fires. Seems like this company has had a reliable version out for a few years now and then came out with the ďgen 2Ē version linked below. The owner of the company is all over Rennsport stuff and has been doing group buys for the GT3RS crowd. I spoke directly to the company and felt comfortable with the product. There is a 3 year direct swap warranty and an additional 2 year prorated warranty. Seems like they stand behind their products.

I had an Odessey PC680 motorcycle battery in my B5 S4 for a few years in Wisconsin with no issues. I think this current technology will be substantially more capable.
    +1 Will be interested to hear what you think of it...

AZ Member #

I had the entire nose off my car last weekend to take measurements of various components and space. The front nose is a heavy SOB. No cheap way to replace it with carbon fiber. I think a lot of the weight is the grille itself by the feel of it.

The hood is a good, easy place to remove weight.
    I've read the cheep ebay RS5 grill is lighter.

I've also seen different weights of these hoods. I've seen 19 lbs and 28 lbs. Not sure why and don't remember who. I'd go with the 19 lb one :)
    The Seibon seems to have happy consistently buyers too and with a relative lower cost that other companies.

Hahnmgh63, if you do remove your seibon hood, I would love to know the weight. :))

AZ Member #
    My Garage

There's a carbon fiber hood thread and someone did weigh the Seibon as well as the OEM. The numbers escapee but I want to say there was a 30 pound difference.

Established Member Two Rings ezridah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

There's a carbon fiber hood thread and someone did weigh the Seibon as well as the OEM. The numbers escapee but I want to say there was a 30 pound difference.
    Think you are referring to

ďOEM hood is said to weigh 29kg or ~64lbs. SSSSS5 weighed his to be about 26lbs so thats nearly 40lbs of weight savings

Source for oem hood weight : https://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-perfo...-database.htmlĒ

Thread link here https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post13367788

Iím obsessing on the drop weight v add blower strategy. Maybe Iíll just do both

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

I thought RS5 hood was aluminium?

Established Member Two Rings SSSSS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    I don't have a garage...yet

CF hood is substantially lighter! I say do both.
    -Casey
    @TheRallyCaptain
    2013 Audi []S5 | Black/Magma Red + Phantom Black Pearl

Veteran Member Four Rings s vier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

Quote Originally Posted by spa View Post
    I thought RS5 hood was aluminium?
    Nope. Just the front fenders. We got bamboozeled.
    2015 Suzuka RS5 Black Optics+Carbon Ceramics-Euro Recaro Bucket -Akrapovic -AWE DPs-Ecodes-Euro fold CF Neidfaktor mirrors-3M+Suntech(whole car)-CR15-Red START button-034 diff carrier inserts-BBS CH-R 10.5x20 et25

IG: GERMANBrew

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5

damn the B7 RS4 got it iirc..

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

Quote Originally Posted by spa View Post
    damn the B7 RS4 got it iirc..
    It did.
    2015 Suzuka RS5 Black Optics+Carbon Ceramics-Euro Recaro Bucket -Akrapovic -AWE DPs-Ecodes-Euro fold CF Neidfaktor mirrors-3M+Suntech(whole car)-CR15-Red START button-034 diff carrier inserts-BBS CH-R 10.5x20 et25

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nope. Just the front fenders. We got bamboozeled.
    Remember these cars are engineered to pass various crash tests so material choice comes in to play.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

Established Member Two Rings SSSSS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    I don't have a garage...yet

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRS5 View Post
    Remember these cars are engineered to pass various crash tests so material choice comes in to play.
    Wonder how Subaru managed to do aluminum hoods on turbo models then, hmm
    -Casey
    @TheRallyCaptain
    2013 Audi []S5 | Black/Magma Red + Phantom Black Pearl

Established Member Two Rings Treeskier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5; SQ5; S2k

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSS5 View Post
    Wonder how Subaru managed to do aluminum hoods on turbo models then, hmm
    The boxer engine is much smaller and sits much lower so in a crash there's less engine mass to move / risk. They also have fairly beefy front crash bars and an incredibly rigid passenger compartment. IIRC, when the '04 model year WRX came out, Subaru had to issue a "how to" for EMS services for extractions because the A and B pillars were so strong.

I had an '04 WRX and it was always funny how people put carbon fiber hoods on to "save weight" that were heavier than the aluminum hoods they already had, haha

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

Apeís thread about moving the SAI pipes got extra interesting talking about full on tune removal of the Secondary Air injection system. Google images shows quite a bit of hardware that could potentially be removed from the engine bay:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

So far itís added up to:

-20lbs Akropovic Titanium Catback
    -6lbs AWE Non Resonated DPs
    -21.2lbs rotational CH-R Wheels (29.2 vs 34.5stock)
    -56lbs Euro RS5 Buckets (40lbs vs 68lb)
    -22lbs Rotational Front CCB
    -61.5lbs rear seats (60/40 split)
    -5.2lbs Rear seat belts
    -15lbs rear trunk junk

Total lost weight 189lbs

Rear CCB and carbon roof should see a good weight loss as well as the LW battery. Iíd think 3,500lbs is possible.

AZ Member #

So far itís added up to:

-20lbs Akropovic Titanium Catback
    -6lbs AWE Non Resonated DPs
    -21.2lbs rotational CH-R Wheels (29.2 vs 34.5stock)
    -56lbs Euro RS5 Buckets (40lbs vs 68lb)
    -22lbs Rotational Front CCB
    -61.5lbs rear seats (60/40 split)
    -5.2lbs Rear seat belts
    -15lbs rear trunk junk

Total lost weight 189lbs

Rear CCB and carbon roof should see a good weight loss as well as the LW battery. Iíd think 3,500lbs is possible.
    s vier, this is impressive and very encouraging post.. Minus the CCB, its more or less doable for me with Ricaro seats. I am not sure that i once read you were selling your 5 a while back? If you were, happy about keeping it looks like you are.

Main thread:
    I know there is a group buy thread on carbon fiber hood but until I get another job, I have to be smart (cheap if you will). Taking a few months off before I really dive into job hunting... Okay back to the point,
    I have heard nothing but good stuff regarding quality, finish and fitment for the Seibon CF hood and its quite a bit less than the CF hood in the group buy. I'm strongly considering getting the Seibon. 26 lbs with all accessories and attachments is not too shabby. Now, the problem is that I made a mistake. I slipped and got excited visualizing what the glossy CF hood would look like on my Ibis white. Was a hot little daydream. Got me worked up. Hello savings!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234