Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by BuyTheWarranty View Post
    Do you offer the wavy pattern? I heard that adds 1/10th.
    Haha we thought about it, but it would add a TON of cost. Our goal with our rotors are more performance, and a more affordable option to than stock. plus, our replacement rotor rings make it cheaper when it comes time to replacing rotors again.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Got the seats off. The rear seat backrest is very heavy. Though Iíd probably never use the back seats, I feel I might put them back but maybe not. I just love the looks of having the seats in lol.

Lightweight wheels are on too. I havenít been on it but from short city trips, the car definitely feels more more responsive at lower rpms where the torque is low.

Ordered my dragy from jake a couple days ago but it will be too late to do a with and without seats and lightweight wheel comparison. Will do my benchmark when I get the dragy.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for the order

Established Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

Instagram: redmist5 Youtube; https://tinyurl.com/redmistvideos
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    Does anyone make these in black powder-coat finish? And how much weight do these save?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Just use the OEM black plastic caps. The R8 V10 plus lugs are titanium and black but not sure they would fit.

Edit; sorry not OEM. Theyíre 42% lighter than stock. https://www.exoticcargear.com/produc...-black-finish/
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red-Klassen ID M10/JHM Tune/AWE Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN/CR-15//ECS SS Brake Lines/Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts, front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts & Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head, tail lights/Maxton splitter/Red Trim Start Button/black emblems/VCDS.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I just did the math and it looks like youíd save a bit over two pounds.

Veteran Member Four Rings s vier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

I forgot the easiest and most obvious ďdietĒ mod:

I lost 30lbs by deleting bad food.

Oh, and probably another 15lbs by pulling the spare ďtireĒ crap out of the trunk.

Ape:
    Alukruze is sitting, awaiting install and I sold off my 034 sway bar to go with the hollow GMG which you also brought up.

Iím going to hunt for more heavy stuff that could be pulled next time Iím out at the garage with it.
    2015 Suzuka RS5 Black Optics+Carbon Ceramics-Euro Recaro Bucket -Akrapovic -AWE DPs-Ecodes-Euro fold CF Neidfaktor mirrors-3M+Suntech(whole car)-CR15-Red START button-034 diff carrier inserts-BBS CH-R 10.5x20 et25

IG: GERMANBrew

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have the Tikore Titanium bolts, they are a healthy weight saving not dramatic, but if your goal is reducing un-sprung weight and you've gone to the expense of light weight wheels then why the hell not.

Here's a couple of picture comparing standard to titanium:

[IMG]Untitled by James, on Flickr[/IMG]

Total weight saving is 640g or 1.4lbs in old money.
    Last edited by JamesRS5; 02-26-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Also for non-stressed parts, a switch to aluminum bolts will save some weight and be far less expensive than titanium. Aluminum is lighter than titanium but you cannot use aluminum bolts on any stressed part.
    https://www.probolt-usa.com/aluminium.html

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Carbon fiber connecting rods are a real thing now. I won't be the first to try them though. I'll let John Force do the R&D.
    https://awacomposites.com/products/

Also, when JHM gets around to it...lightweight flywheel to replace the OEM dual mass. Cough.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Carbon fiber connecting rods are a real thing now. I won't be the first to try them though. I'll let John Force do the R&D.
    https://awacomposites.com/products/

Also, when JHM gets around to it...lightweight flywheel to replace the OEM dual mass. Cough.
    Lightweight DSG flywheel has been looked into already and the possibility of becoming a product is good

Senior Member Three Rings BuyTheWarranty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Panther Black RS5 / 2010 Infiniti FX35

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    Lightweight DSG flywheel has been looked into already and the possibility of becoming a product is good
    What sort of ball-park labour would be required to install this?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

What sort of ball-park labour would be required to install this?
    Not sure yet. Pretty much would be like installing a new flywheel on a manual car

AZ Member #

Other reasonable/possible areas where you could loose weight that haven't been mentioned...
    -Coilover kit with aftermarket titanium springs. Most are a good bit lighter than OEM off the shelf. I believe the Ohlins are aluminum shock bodies which would save even more over the steel variety. Titanium springs are about 1/3 the the weight of a steel spring.
    -Alu Kreuz. I've not seen or held one but being whittled out of aluminum, it has to be substantially lighter than the stamped/extruded OEM subframe brace.
    -Redesigned front carrier brace crash beam.
    -GMG hollow sway bars. Probably loosing 5 pounds per bar or more. Guessing.
    -Carbon fiber hood (OEM seems pretty heavy)
    -Lightweight stereo components
    -Billet suspension components like uprights/hubs/arms, etc...
    -Catalytic converter removal (they're heavy!).
    -It'd go against the ethos of not loosing any luxury or utility, but honestly, I could probably loose the rear seats. No idea how much the entire setup, including the 60/40 mechanism, weighs.
    -Recaro CS seats over the OEM Recaros from Europe. Probably saving another 30 pounds per seat that way with lightweight billet/extruded aluminum mounts, not the steel stuff.

Beyond that you could get slightly crazy with the engine and transmission.
    -Titanium rods
    -Titanium valves, springs/retainers.
    -Lightened crank
    -Aluminum Beryllium pistons (banned for health reasons so I kid!)
    -Carbon fiber drive shaft
    -One-piece lightweight flywheel
    -Billet clutch basket
    What about a CF trunk lid with raised CF spoiler? The stock trunk lid with mechanical wing looks like a heavy trunk with all the extra parts.
    Curious the weight of the OEM hood and trunk lid.

Edit: Carbon fiber connecting rods are a dream.. Imagine the rev limit potential.
    2006 Audi A3 for daily stuff.
    Rusted up 1990 Toyota 4Runner for really rough Colorado Terrain.
    2013 Ibis white Audi RS5. Stock except for wheels.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Iím sure you could loose a pound or two. The rear trunk is actually pretty light. The hood is somewhere in the 50-60 pound range and youíd be loosing weight where it needs it most. But...weight lost is weight lost.

AZ Member #

Went on a canyon run yesterday. First time I've driven this car so hard (Probably about 60% its potential considering my experience). I absolutely love how it handles the tight turns. Kept thinking of how this exact car would feel @3/400 lbs lighter. I've driven a few vehicles in these canyons but I enjoyed the RS5 the most.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

I have some more weight loss items in the last few weeks/next few weeks:

BBS CH-R 20x10.5 w/spacers/steel lugs OUT and BBS CH-R 20x10 no spacers/titanium lugs IN (-6lbs)

Lightweight factory replacement battery (-35lbs)

Pulled the rear seatbelts (-12lbs)

Iíll bring my digital scale to the garage and weigh out each item and make a comprehensive list.
    2015 Suzuka RS5 Black Optics+Carbon Ceramics-Euro Recaro Bucket -Akrapovic -AWE DPs-Ecodes-Euro fold CF Neidfaktor mirrors-3M+Suntech(whole car)-CR15-Red START button-034 diff carrier inserts-BBS CH-R 10.5x20 et25

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s vier View Post
    I have some more weight loss items in the last few weeks/next few weeks:

BBS CH-R 20x10.5 w/spacers/steel lugs OUT and BBS CH-R 20x10 no spacers/titanium lugs IN (-6lbs)

Lightweight factory replacement battery (-35lbs)

Pulled the rear seatbelts (-12lbs)

Iíll bring my digital scale to the garage and weigh out each item and make a comprehensive list.
    Wow the seat belts weigh 12lbs?! What type of battery did you get? Cost/source? :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

AZ Member #
    My Garage

When does the battery arrive? I'm going to let you be the canary in a cage on that one and then make a decision after you've had it for a month, LOL.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

When does the battery arrive? I'm going to let you be the canary in a cage on that one and then make a decision after you've had it for a month, LOL.
    I hope to have it installed in a few weeks.

I was always on the fence about the Li batteries what with astronomical $ and rumors of fires. Seems like this company has had a reliable version out for a few years now and then came out with the ďgen 2Ē version linked below. The owner of the company is all over Rennsport stuff and has been doing group buys for the GT3RS crowd. I spoke directly to the company and felt comfortable with the product. There is a 3 year direct swap warranty and an additional 2 year prorated warranty. Seems like they stand behind their products.

I had an Odessey PC680 motorcycle battery in my B5 S4 for a few years in Wisconsin with no issues. I think this current technology will be substantially more capable.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Antigravity has been around for a while but they're also like a third the cost of the Braille lithium battery. Maybe Braille just has a "Florida" tax. Just interested to see how it performs! I think our OEM battery is like 90 amp hours or something crazy like that but the lithium amp hours don't convert 1:1 so the 40AH lithium should be pretty close.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post
    Got the seats off. The rear seat backrest is very heavy. Though Iíd probably never use the back seats, I feel I might put them back but maybe not. I just love the looks of having the seats in lol.
    How did you remove the rear seat backrest? The bottom of the seats seem pretty light so Iíll probably leave those in. If itís the same as the A5/S5 removal, it says removing the child seat plastic covers up top and sliding the plastic latch off the metal bracket? Am I missing something?

I drive around with the rear arm rest fully open to get more exhaust sound so I just removed it. No one sits in the back anyway. It ended up weighing 17lbs, also removed the ďspare tireĒ junk from the trunk and youíre right, that was exactly 15lbs.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

You have to remove the (4) bolts at the bottom of the 60/40 split section and then pull the ď40Ē section ďrodĒ out of the side panel. Itís a weird little angled twist move to get it out. My grommet popped out with the rod on the 40 section. 60 section slid right out.

AZ Member #

Took a minute to figure the rear backrest. I did mine slightly differently than s vier.

There is the bracket with 4 bolts between the 60/40 split. I just removed the clamp on top of that bracket with an Allan wrench I think. I didnít mess with the 4 bolts. After the clamp is opened, slightly lift the pins from each seat out of the bracket and pull each backrest while in folded in down position towards the center of the car. Slight twisting involved but not too much since the shift that holds the outer part of the backrest needs to stay parallel to the hole or it wild jam and be harder to pull out. Havenít weight the backrest but the 60 split portion is pretty barn heavy.

Ape, x2 on your comment about the canary 😂😂

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thank you both!! Iím trying again tonight!

Do you have pictures with the backrest removed? Does it look awful? Removing the rear seat cushions would look bad, but the rear seat backrest just opens into the trunk so not too bad Iím hoping!

AZ Member #

Thank you both!! Iím trying again tonight!

Do you have pictures with the backrest removed? Does it look awful? Removing the rear seat cushions would look bad, but the rear seat backrest just opens into the trunk so not too bad Iím hoping!
    It could look bad. I never look back there or ever used the seat. The biggest distraction is the noise and rattles from loose cables and the sub woofer rattles. Havenít looked much into controlling the noise yet. I may put back the lower bench part which isnít heavy.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

Iíve tried a few different variations of removal and ended up with this:

Removed the 60/40 split, the seat belts and the cables to release the seat backs. Everything else will be back in the car for soundproofing and aesthetics. There will be one spot that sticks out visually, the Suzuka paint sticks out like a sore thumb between the seat bench and the trunk. That will likely get sprayed in some black plastidip.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Got the 40 split out. My removal was different than both yours, however, the 40 split has a wire running into it?? Is that for the air bags??

AZ Member #

I only remember cables running through mine and initially I remember thinking wires. I'm guessing you probably have it out by now tho so how is the view back there LOL
    I considered putting back the bench part and then maybe a carbon-fiber backrest panel. It will be for looks obviously. And all my cars I probably use my back seats about 1% of the time.

Regarding you wanting more sound from your exhaust. It's either it sounds really good or it's not loud enough lol.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It looks like itís the cable release. I ended up putting everything back together, I have some photos but theyíre too large to post.

It looks like you have to remove the seat cushions to undo the cable, and I donít want to remove the seat cushions, only the 60-40 rear backrests.

Thoughts? 😬

AZ Member #

It looks like itís the cable release. I ended up putting everything back together, I have some photos but theyíre too large to post.

It looks like you have to remove the seat cushions to undo the cable, and I donít want to remove the seat cushions, only the 60-40 rear backrests.

Thoughts? 😬
    I'm assuming you mean the seat bottom piece that you sit on when you say cushion? If it is the bottom piece, it takes about a minute to remove. You just have to pull up on the front of it. Takes a good yank. Best to get your hand under it from the front and pull on the area close to where it is connected to floor grommet. There are some clips in the back but after you raise the front of the lower seat, the back slides out I think. I haven't tried to put mine back in but i'm assuming its the reverse.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yes the seat bottom! I didnít want to yank them out because I read the clips break almost always, and when reinstalling, theyíd be loose?

I think it will look good with just the backrests removed and the seat bottoms still intact.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Lots of sweating and felt like I did 1000 squats from standing ... but for anyone interested in shaving 70-80lbs:

Weighed:

Trunk 'Junk' (Jack, Tire repair kit, Foam etc) = 15lbs
    Rear Arm Rest = 17.5lbs
    '40 Split' Rear Backrest 17.5lbs
    '60 Split' Rear Backrest = 26.5lbs

Doesn't look TOO bad with just rear backrests removed, I reinstalled the seat cushion (this has to come out for removal of rear backrests to undo the cables FYI):

2015 Panther Black RS5 | YouTube Channel - https://tinyurl.com/PhantomBlackRS5
    JHM 2.75" Catback & 2.75" Non-Resonated Downpipes / JHM Stage 1 ECU / Fast Wheels FC04 20" Rims / K&N Intake Filters / Password Engineering Spacers 12mm x 4

AZ Member #

Nice!
    That weight is substantial in the back there.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It sure is! Drove around today and the JHM exhaust is about 30% louder, it sounds killer!

Unfortunately, but expected, the road noise is about 15% louder, and there are a few rattles / a bit more drone when the RPM's hit 1700 temporarily. Car defn feels quicker with that 80lbs gone! Weight reduction in this car has made a big difference for me so far with the lighter exhaust, rear seats removed and the weight savings form the lightweight wheels. I'll do a 0-60 to compare and see if it translates.
    2015 Panther Black RS5 | YouTube Channel - https://tinyurl.com/PhantomBlackRS5
    JHM 2.75" Catback & 2.75" Non-Resonated Downpipes / JHM Stage 1 ECU / Fast Wheels FC04 20" Rims / K&N Intake Filters / Password Engineering Spacers 12mm x 4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Every hundred pounds is worth a tenth over 1/4 mile. It equates to about 10hp generally.

AZ Member #

It all adds up. I think of a book. 1 page weighs nothing but books are heavy.
    Iím more passionate about weight reduction than adding more power.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 RS5

Iím the exact same way. Lighten it up and everything gets better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast