Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Veteran Member Three Rings audinutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A8l 2001 A4TQM Avant

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It's the heat Cycles that's going to cause a failure

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    98.5 A4 1.8T

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

Mine simply cracked from normal use, twice.
    2003 B6 Audi A4 Avant Quattro Sport | 3.0 V6 | 6MT | Denim Blue Pearl | B6 S4 “Black Optik” Grille | Votex Kit | Black Leather - Part Out.

2012 B7 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech | 2.0 TDI 170 | 6MT | Phantom Black Pearl | LED DRL’s | Bi-Xenons | AFS | LED Tails | LED RNS-E | AUX / iPod Input | Black Leather | Multi-Function Steering Wheel | Rear PDC.

2002 Toyota Runx |1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

Veteran Member Four Rings Bordom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well, if it's the heat cycles I'll try building up the area with JB weld to get it solid. Hopefully that'll be better than 2 drive cycles lol.

I'm in talks with a shop about 45mins from me that does custom work. They do everything from intercoolers to exhaust, manifolds, and radiators. They've been in business since 1948, so they must be doing things right.

Once we have a rough estimate come Tuesday, I'll hopefully have a 3 core radiator with mounts for the Aux and main fan, as well as more mounts for the front fan and AC condenser.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

IG: 24_et

MODS: Revo Stg 1, 034 Billet Subframe Bushings, SSAC V2 Downpipes, Custom True Dual Exhaust, Forge 007 DVs,

AZ Member #

The last two days has been stressful. I had wanted to test drive the car 2 days ago, but time fell short and it was late at night.

I re-mounted the fans, wired them up and set everything in place. Fit the rad back into the core support with the brackets I made and left it at that.

Today I made room for the car to drive out of the garage so I could bleed the coolant outside. Even made a little video.
    https://youtu.be/hjn5gYpYvbo

Bled the coolant but had an issue with no coolant flow through the rad, the heater core, or any of the fans turning on. I spent much time diagnosing the fans. Pulled the FCM fuses, tested the fans through their installed wiring, put power directly from the battery to the Aux fan, shorted the coolant plug wires, and concluded I somehow need a fan control module; the car has only sat 3 months.

I changed the wiring to my 16" fan so that it would at least run with the key turned. I tried following the JHM instructions but connecting the fan to a keyed post would just make it turn on when the key was off. Scouring around Google, I came upon this: instructions for the relay I'm using.

Using those, I swapped wiring around and wired to the 75x post, and grounded to the ABS bolt. The fan now works with the key! It is for the most part now driveable.

While bleeding the coolant, I noticed a loud hissing sound and found a port on the front of the I take was missing a line. I taped it up for now until I could find a suitable cap or vacuum line to. Coincidently, this smoothed out the idle, so it no longer sounds like a big block at idle lol.

I took the car for a short trip up and down the street and the car takes off with only half throttle input. The clutch and flywheel are super light, and shifting is a breeze. Vast improvements from the stock setups on my Allroad and old S4.

There's also a tube between the kombi valves I need to replace to prevent exhaust gasses from going where they please within the bay. Otherwise, the to do list is short. Hopefully fully buttoned up by the end of the week.

Anything I'm missing?

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

MODS: Revo Stg 1, 034 Billet Subframe Bushings, SSAC V2 Downpipes, Custom True Dual Exhaust, Forge 007 DVs,

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Silverado V8, 06 Touareg V8, 03 RS6 V8TT, 01 allroad, 01 A6 6MT

Yes. Smokey burnouts.
    -dre

AZ Member #

I only got about 4hrs of work done today, but the car is mostly together save for a single wheel.

I put the car back up on stands to install the exhaust, but calling my preferred shop they didn't have an opening until 22 Sep. So, I'll roll around without a catback for the time being. Axle shields installed, and then I went to the bumper.

Headlights were next after dinner.

Everything else went pretty smoothly

Put together and waiting for final drive into the sunset.

Besides that I've been trying to find out what this port is. Finally have a picture, but does anyone know where it goes?

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

You’re pretty much there with the swap.

I would leave the plastic covers off though, they just make the engine look really ancient. They also make the engine run hotter, and this is what you don’t want.
    2003 B6 Audi A4 Avant Quattro Sport | 3.0 V6 | 6MT | Denim Blue Pearl | B6 S4 “Black Optik” Grille | Votex Kit | Black Leather - Part Out.

2012 B7 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech | 2.0 TDI 170 | 6MT | Phantom Black Pearl | LED DRL’s | Bi-Xenons | AFS | LED Tails | LED RNS-E | AUX / iPod Input | Black Leather | Multi-Function Steering Wheel | Rear PDC.

2002 Toyota Runx |1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

AZ Member #

Updated the first page with required items, as well as some notes for those looking to swap.

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

PSA: When you have the engine out, take time to replace all the little switches and sensors that are easy to access. These few dollar switches/sensors will cause a world of headache having to do them in the car, or better yet, have to remove the engine.

Refresh it while you have it apart, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Silverado V8, 06 Touareg V8, 03 RS6 V8TT, 01 allroad, 01 A6 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Bordom View Post
    PSA: When you have the engine out, take time to replace all the little switches and sensors that are easy to access. These few dollar switches/sensors will cause a world of headache having to do them in the car, or better yet, have to remove the engine.

Refresh it while you have it apart, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

"While you're in there......"
    -dre

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 8520 View Post
    "While you're in there......"
    Yes, I regret it lol.

Looking on the positive side, I now get to gather experience performing these repairs in situ.

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

I now get to experience the oil cooler tube in car. I didn't replace it and now I'm kicking myself and preparing for a 10hr job

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

1000km update:

I've so far driven the car approximately 1000km and it's been decently reliable for a backyard hooligan build.

The car is very smooth now, and I've been driving this as they come up. The main problems are the radiator hoses blowing off, and the one failure of the JB weld holding the rad. The first iteration held for 200km, and the second revision had over 800km.

I roughed up the area's with a file and 80 grit sand paper and then used this plastic weld first. Smells awful and waited 15 mins.

Built up the area around it and then used this high heat JB weld. I ended up using the entire tube to secure the end and make it rock hard.

I'll put a picture of this up when the new rad comes in

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

In the meantime, I've taken a little video. I always thought the car sounded too quiet for my taste, but this actually rivals my S4 well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoYEK1gH...d=4bnyk9r6g8du

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

AZ Member #

Wow! I need that soundtrack! Fantastic.
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.
    WTB: Mint condition silver B6 passenger fender.

AZ Member #

2500km update:

Having done the oil cooler tube this past weekend, I noticed the JB-Weld mod (V2) was starting to lift from the outside. I hoped it would hold a while longer, but it left a puddle under the car when I got into work this morning. It ended up leaking from underneath the JB-Weld. It probably would have lasted the rest of the week, but I didn't want to take the chance of having it blow off in the middle of a 60min commute.

So, when I got home 90 mins ago, I tore the car apart and was going to do the same repair. The only difference was I didn't have the plastic weld epoxy I used before, so I substituted the quick setting JB-Weld with the same high temp putty. Here goes V3.

I filed up the edges again, cleaned with brake cleaner and then applied the quick setting epoxy. I attached the hose end and the cap as such.

It looks pretty ghetto, but I used all the epoxy to get it to stick as well as possible. After letting it harden over 30 mins, I applied the high temp putty and used approx 90% of the stick.

This is still temporary until my aluminum radiator gets sorted out. The shop I took it to had to order parts for barb fittings and they were stacked up with work. I ended up taking it to my brothers girlfriend who's studying to be a welder, and she works at a metal fab shop, so hopefully they can just move the outlet over and I'll work something out with the factory 2.7T 1.25" quick connect coolant lines for the bottom outlet. My upper 45° coupler on the inlet has been wonder full, so I'm not so inclined on changing that setup

S4's New Lease On Life
    2001.5 S4 6-spd
    Currently "Monster"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234