Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Uncle Buck's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Seat Heater Temperature Auto Step Down

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    This has always bothered us so I'll just go ahead and ask. On our 3 previous Audi's, the seat heater temperature was controlled by a barrel switch - set it and the seat heat remained constant until it was manually changed. On our '13 Q5, the seat automatically "steps down" from the high setting to medium after about 5 minutes. My wife and I prefer to change the heat temperature ourselves. We never use low or medium. Is this is a configurable setting by the dealer or can it be overridden?? If not, why is the step down required? Is it a country specific product planning call or is this a federal safety mandate?? Thanks.

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good morning.
    I confirmed that it is supposed to "step down" to the medium level after 10 minutes. As to why, I engaged some resources for more information. Once I hear more, I will follow up.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

Veteran Member Four Rings pwdrskr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This behavior of the seat heaters has always bothered me as well. I've even gone so far as to look into a way to change it to no avail. I find I am constantly "resetting" the seat heat level to the max. Level 1 and 2 are essentially undetectable to me and are therefore useless.
    13 allroad/Prestige/ibis/blk, 20%, expel, APR K04, AWE DP, Eurocode FMIC/HFC, GFB DV+, R8 coils, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Trans & Rr Diff Mounts, Apikol Rr Diff Mount, Vogtland coils, Alu Kreuz, Stasis S4/S5 Rr Sway, Vorsteiner V-FF 104 (20x10/et30), Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06-275/30ZR20, Stoptech rotors, Hawk Ceramics, iJDMTOY 3000K Amber Yellow fogs, F/R e-codes, semi-dyn sigs, RS5 Pedals, Perf. Shift, load rail storage sys, under seat bins

Senior Member Three Rings Speedybrit's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016%20Phantom%20Black%20A7

This setting can be changed in VCDS if you have access to a cable
    Current Cars:
    2016 Sepang Blue S3 - Tech Pkg, Black Optics, B&O - Resonator Delete, CTS Turbo Intake, ECS Spacer Flush Kit, Eurodyne

Past Cars:
    2013 Monsoon Gray B8.5 A4 Prem+ 6MT
    2010 Meteor Gray B8 A4 premium 6MT
    2008 Subaru Legacy

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Speedybrit View Post
    This setting can be changed in VCDS if you have access to a cable
    Hmmm, that is what I meant when I said I looked for a way to change this. Never found the place to change it. Mind PMing it to me?
    13 allroad/Prestige/ibis/blk, 20%, expel, APR K04, AWE DP, Eurocode FMIC/HFC, GFB DV+, R8 coils, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Trans & Rr Diff Mounts, Apikol Rr Diff Mount, Vogtland coils, Alu Kreuz, Stasis S4/S5 Rr Sway, Vorsteiner V-FF 104 (20x10/et30), Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06-275/30ZR20, Stoptech rotors, Hawk Ceramics, iJDMTOY 3000K Amber Yellow fogs, F/R e-codes, semi-dyn sigs, RS5 Pedals, Perf. Shift, load rail storage sys, under seat bins

Senior Member Three Rings Speedybrit's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016%20Phantom%20Black%20A7

Quote Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
    Hmmm, that is what I meant when I said I looked for a way to change this. Never found the place to change it. Mind PMing it to me?
    I'll do it here so everyone can see. I never actually looked for it when I had my B8 A4, but I know I saw it on a post for the 8V A3/S3 platform. Unfortunately this will not correspond directly to the allroad. I will dig around and try to find where I saw it located on the S3 and I'll PM you the location, maybe it will help you.
    Current Cars:
    2016 Sepang Blue S3 - Tech Pkg, Black Optics, B&O - Resonator Delete, CTS Turbo Intake, ECS Spacer Flush Kit, Eurodyne

Past Cars:
    2013 Monsoon Gray B8.5 A4 Prem+ 6MT
    2010 Meteor Gray B8 A4 premium 6MT
    2008 Subaru Legacy

AZ Member #

Please pm me as well. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

My 2013 S4 did that too. Personally I liked it as the "high" setting would get too hot. So I set it to high to warm up quickly and then it automatically drops down to medium to keep the seat warm.

AZ Member #

Good morning, everyone.
    Audi of America has it set so that the heated seat will only stay on the highest setting for a set period of time based on the ambient temperature in the vehicle. This is done to prevent the system from staying at too high of a temperature for too long, which could be damaging. I'll make sure to pass everyone's comments along about the design.
    Vincenzo F.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Good morning, everyone.
    Audi of America has it set so that the heated seat will only stay on the highest setting for a set period of time based on the ambient temperature in the vehicle. This is done to prevent the system from staying at too high of a temperature for too long, which could be damaging. I'll make sure to pass everyone's comments along about the design.
    Thank you for the information.

Are you saying that the seat temperature is in part controlled based upon the current temperature inside the vehicle? I can say this is not how my car behaves. The seat heater always drops down to level 2 within ~8 minutes (I've timed it) regardless of the interior temperature in the car.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
    Thank you for the information.

Are you saying that the seat temperature is in part controlled based upon the current temperature inside the vehicle? I can say this is not how my car behaves. The seat heater always drops down to level 2 within ~8 minutes (I've timed it) regardless of the interior temperature in the car.
    Per the owner's manual I checked (2013 Q5) it takes about 10 minutes to drop down. Not based on the temperature in the vehicle, but the temperature of the seat. Should have worded that better, sorry.
    Vincenzo F.

AZ Member #

So I gave the S3 instructions a try...no go. The HVAC Adaptation screen on the B8.5 Audi is different than the A3 version. Namely, there is no indication which channel to change. The Audi iteration of the Adaptation screen is the more "generic" version where you can scroll through the channels but there is no text/information describing what each channel controls.

A3/S3 Instructions
    [08] HVAC -> Adaptation ->
    Select time until heated seats redemption level 2 to level 1 -> Adjust value (def=0)
    (Value 0 = no automatic lowering)

AZ Member #

This subject came up on the ACNA's Facebook site. 2 members reported that their B9 A4's seat heaters did not step down which I take as good news. Audi finally figured out we can make that decision ourselves. I wonder if that was a decision across all model lines. I get our Q5 serviced by a privateer now. I'm going to see if he can change the settings next time we have the car in for service.

Veteran Member Three Rings audrobotic's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I miss the A4 B8 (2010) setup that had like 10 levels to choose from. The B8.5 has only three and they all kinda suck. Level 1 is too low and levels 2 and 3 are too hot. Im like goldilocks!
    Current: 2013 A4 | Past: 2010 A4
    TFSI Longitudinal EA888