Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings pwdrskr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Floating interior display screens

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can you shed some light on the design decision to go away from an integrated display screen to the "phablet" that sticks up from the dash? I for one can't fathom why this decision was made and feel it is a stunning poor design. This makes the screen look more like it was an aftermarket part stuck onto the dash. It really ruins the interior aesthetic of the cockpit of these cars. It is enough of an eyesore that it is an effective deal breaker when it comes to considering buying a new generation Audi. i've been considering a new current S5 this summer or an RS5 next year but am not sure I can get over this awful interior design. In a way, Audi has done me a favor with this design since I will likely be saving my money.

My current car, a "13 allroad has the screen nicely integrated in its entirety into the dash. I can't emphasize enough how hideous the floating phablet design really is in my eyes.
    13 allroad/Prestige/ibis/blk, 20%, expel, APR K04, AWE DP, Eurocode FMIC/HFC, GFB DV+, R8 coils, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Trans & Rr Diff Mounts, Apikol Rr Diff Mount, Vogtland coils, Alu Kreuz, Stasis S4/S5 Rr Sway, Vorsteiner V-FF 104 (20x10/et30), Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06-275/30ZR20, Stoptech rotors, Hawk Ceramics, iJDMTOY 3000K Amber Yellow fogs, F/R e-codes, semi-dyn sigs, RS5 Pedals, Perf. Shift, load rail storage sys, under seat bins

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good morning, I will engage resources to obtain information on the design decisions for the MMI display. Once I have additional information, I will follow up with you. Stay tuned!
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

AZ Member #

great thank you.
    13 allroad/Prestige/ibis/blk, 20%, expel, APR K04, AWE DP, Eurocode FMIC/HFC, GFB DV+, R8 coils, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Trans & Rr Diff Mounts, Apikol Rr Diff Mount, Vogtland coils, Alu Kreuz, Stasis S4/S5 Rr Sway, Vorsteiner V-FF 104 (20x10/et30), Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06-275/30ZR20, Stoptech rotors, Hawk Ceramics, iJDMTOY 3000K Amber Yellow fogs, F/R e-codes, semi-dyn sigs, RS5 Pedals, Perf. Shift, load rail storage sys, under seat bins

Veteran Member Three Rings Jacon's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 A4 6MT P+

I also hate the floating MMI screen. Looks out of place.
    My current rides...
    Audi
    Jetta

Forum Moderator Four Rings DirtD1ver's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Allroad, 2015 Q7

I do believe the initial plan was to have them retract but the the NHTSA came out with the rule that the reverse camera had to be able to come on within a certain amount of time, and that time constraint meant that they could not retract. So they went with the simplest method. The A/S 3 and the Q7 (of the new models) were designed and on their way out before the rule went into effect, which is why they have the retractable screens.
    Don - Forum Moderator, Audizine

Current: 2017 Allroad Prestige Manhattan Grey
    Previous:2013 Allroad Prestige Monsoon Grey

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings PK Auto Design's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DirtD1ver View Post
    I do believe the initial plan was to have them retract but the the NHTSA came out with the rule that the reverse camera had to be able to come on within a certain amount of time, and that time constraint meant that they could not retract. So they went with the simplest method. The A/S 3 and the Q7 (of the new models) were designed and on their way out before the rule went into effect, which is why they have the retractable screens.
    Very interesting. Was wondering why they decided not to give the B9 a retractable screen.

Interested to see what Audi USA will reply with.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Avant Garde Wheels | BC Forged Wheels | HRE Wheels | More
    Wheels |Tires | Aerodynamics | Suspension | Exhaust
    Shop Phone: 818-408-6989
    Email: Sean@PKAutoDesign.com

Senior Member Two Rings zoomzoom!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Q5 3.0T (Wife), 2000 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by DirtD1ver View Post
    And of course, friggin government idiots ruin everything. Are they going to implement a new law that requires you to actually look at the backup camera screen? Like iris detection, to make sure youre looking at the screen...and it not, automatically print out a ticket?
    SOLD: 2013 A6 3.0T

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Until people smarten up and stop treating driving like it's a birth right, yes we'll see more and more regulations like this. Don't blame the government, they're only reacting to people have no common sense or respect for others.

Senior Member Four Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    Until people smarten up and stop treating driving like it's a birth right, yes we'll see more and more regulations like this. Don't blame the government, they're only reacting to people have no common sense or respect for others.
    Bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #

A retractable option wouldn't "solve" the issue for me either. The solution is to build the screen into the dash the way the did it with the B8 (and earlier models). The idea of the screen sticking up (retractable or not) has an awful aesthetic. As I posted above, it looks cheap and like it was an after thought. Audi isn't the only one doing it either.

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
    Can you shed some light on the design decision to go away from an integrated display screen to the "phablet" that sticks up from the dash? I for one can't fathom why this decision was made and feel it is a stunning poor design. This makes the screen look more like it was an aftermarket part stuck onto the dash. It really ruins the interior aesthetic of the cockpit of these cars. It is enough of an eyesore that it is an effective deal breaker when it comes to considering buying a new generation Audi. i've been considering a new current S5 this summer or an RS5 next year but am not sure I can get over this awful interior design. In a way, Audi has done me a favor with this design since I will likely be saving my money.

My current car, a "13 allroad has the screen nicely integrated in its entirety into the dash. I can't emphasize enough how hideous the floating phablet design really is in my eyes.
    Audi of America decided to have a fixed screen above the dash for design elements. Our design team looks to lower the height of the dashboard to increase the sense of space inside the cabin. If the screen were still integrated at the lower height in the dashboard, the driver would have to look too far down. With the screen floating above the dashboard, the line of sight is preserved. I understand there are various opinions on the MMI display and I will share your comments internally.
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet, 93 Mustang 5.0

If it truly is about "back up camera" display, Simply integrate the video into the rear view mirror... As for the MMI display, I also think that the fixed position is haphazard and takes away from the clean lines of the interior. That's the main reason I am shopping for a 2016 or 2017 S5 cab. The 2018 would be much nicer without the center billboard!
    Family comes First!.... Nice cars a close second.

2017 SQ5 Ibis White, Black Optics P+ with Tech, Nappa, 21" wheels, Milltek exhaust, EPL Stage 2... more to come
    And for topless Summer fun... 2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet Prestige, Black Optics Grill, Rear Valance, Tint, Unitronics Stage 3 with DP and TCU, IE Down Pipes... doesn't get any better!
    2018 Manhattan Grey Q5 Premium Plus with Nav, Hot & Cold packages, 20" wheels, B/O sound... wifey's new ride

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Audi of America decided to have a fixed screen above the dash for design elements. Our design team looks to lower the height of the dashboard to increase the sense of space inside the cabin. If the screen were still integrated at the lower height in the dashboard, the driver would have to look too far down. With the screen floating above the dashboard, the line of sight is preserved. I understand there are various opinions on the MMI display and I will share your comments internally.
    Wow! I have to be honest and say that the design team is nuts. I have a '13 allroad with the integrated screen and by no means is it too far down to see. Sticking a screen up in the air is far worse option, particularly now that models are starting to have the map displays in the DIS space like on the new A3, TT, etc.

That floating screen is just plain awful. No way around it. As I said in my initial post, it a bad enough design element that I will likely not buy a new Audi that has one. Sadly, the only models I'm interested in have this poorly thought out design. Oh well, saves me some cash.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I'm brand new here, and don't know much, but here's my opinion anyway: the questionable aesthetic is only one part of the problem. I suspect the stationary screen will also attract smash-and-grab attempts. I'm really looking forward to my new A4, but the screen is the one thing I had to come to grips with.

AZ Member #

I too can't get past the strange appearance of the screen sticking up like an add on afterthought.
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It sure beats looking down at the RNSe on the b7.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post
    It sure beats looking down at the RNSe on the b7.
    Sorry, but I disagree. Any info. I actually need can be obtained through the center screen in the instrument cluster.

I cannot believe Audi decided to plaster that thing on top of the dash. If a govt. requirement were to blame, it could be resolved by beginning to extract a retractable screen when the door handle is touched.
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19 peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods via OBDeleven | Autostyle Mats

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy17 View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. Any info. I actually need can be obtained through the center screen in the instrument cluster.

I cannot believe Audi decided to plaster that thing on top of the dash. If a govt. requirement were to blame, it could be resolved by beginning to extract a retractable screen when the door handle is touched.

Or just integrate the screen into the dash like on my 2013 B8.5 allroad. Never needed to be stuck on top.

Side note, I have an A6 loaner right now that has a motorized screen. So clearly it was allowed at some point.

Senior Member Three Rings chrisngrod's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I strongly dislike the floating screens. One of the items that kept me away from MB and BMW.

At least my current lineup keeps me away from it for the time being. If I wanted a floating screen, I would have kept a Scion FR-S with a tablet vent mount or something else ghetto fabulous :-).
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus
    2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - CCM Brakes
    2017 Audi Q7 Prestige
    2016 Audi TTS (Injen Intake, Burger Motorsports JB4, AP Racing 6 Piston BBK, 19x9.5 wheels with tires for sale, Vehicle Sold)
    2013 Audi S4 Prestige - Milltek Valvesonic Exhaust, Roc Euro Intake - Sold
    2012 Audi A7 Prestige (Stasis Exhaust, Injen Intake) - Sold

Established Member Two Rings Jay007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^x2 I strongly dislike the floating screens. One of the items that kept me away from MB and BMW.

Has anyone designed a relocation modification kit for the fixed screens yet? Given that around 90% of the Audi population on here, and likely 75+% of the Audi community in general do not like the look of the floating screen, this could be a genius invention. I reserve a 2% royalty on all sales if this is not out there yet :)
    '15 Audi S4 3.0t, Daytona, options: all, chipwerke pro & RS Intake
    '13 Audi Q5 3.0t, ibis white, options: all, stock for now
    '10 Jeep SRT8 - sold
    '06 Charger SRT8 - sold
    '98 GTP - sold

Established Member Two Rings wam22's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have noticed selling the new cars that most people do not mind it. The people that hate it are an outspoken minority. I went from a B8 A5 to a B9 S5 and I barely look at the floating screen enough to notice it. I mostly control everything through the virtual cockpit or voice commands. Plus when you are driving, it is below your line of sight.

Senior Member Two Rings dbuxton13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    As a student of human factors and human-machine cognition... I appreciate the design, it is well thought out and works great! It's unfortunate some people are stuck on their own subjective view of the design. Take it for a test drive at least, and see what those wonderful engineers have done!
    B9 S4

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dbuxton13 View Post
    As a student of human factors and human-machine cognition... I appreciate the design, it is well thought out and works great! It's unfortunate some people are stuck on their own subjective view of the design. Take it for a test drive at least, and see what those wonderful engineers have done!
    Wait, so if you like the design, you're being objective, but if you don't you're being subjective? I would argue that this debate is 100% subjective, since it's all aesthetics.
    Last edited by ajbutler13; 06-04-2017 at 01:47 PM.

AZ Member #

^I'm with you. Almost every owner I've met disliked the screen based on knowing previous models and how they were configured. Now that doesn't mean they wouldn't buy one necessarily. Just a dislike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus
    2017 Audi Q7 Prestige
    2016 Audi TTS (Injen Intake, Burger Motorsports JB4, AP Racing 6 Piston BBK, 19x9.5 wheels with tires for sale, Vehicle Sold)

Senior Member Two Rings dbuxton13's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    Wait, so if you like the design, you're being objective, but if you don't your're being subjective? I would argue that this debate is 100% subjective, since it's all aesthetics.
    Absolutely subjective, agreed! If a person's individual taste is opposed to this design, so be it. However it is false to proclaim the screen was placed as an afterthought, when a great deal of thought and reasoning went into the layout of the dash, screen, shifter, MMI controls, etc. It is a vocal minority that is opposed to the design based on personal tastes. Lastly, not sure who exactly this thread's mediator is talking to, but it is Audi gmbh in Germany, not Audi of America, that had any say in the design. AoA simply chooses the packaging for Americans (too restrictive in my opinion). All A4/S4 cars have the same design regardless of country, with exception of left or right side driver placement.
    B9 S4

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm ok with the display screen on the A5. It's functional and I came to quickly accept the design (although I was skeptical at first).

AZ Member #

I don't think it'd be a minut group that prefers hideaway screens unless you scared them into thinking the drive motors will fail over time so this is the best choice.

Given the option of either, I feel that over 50 percent would say tuck it away.

What do I know though?... Other than no one I've met in person says, "You know what? I really like that they found a way to cleanly mount a non removable tablet to that dash."

Other than I've had one or two or three Audis at the same time.

Or that I want to like it because I will most likely purchase an S5 or RS5 (if they give us the sportback option).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus
    2017 Audi Q7 Prestige

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dbuxton13 View Post
    Absolutely subjective, agreed! If a person's individual taste is opposed to this design, so be it. However it is false to proclaim the screen was placed as an afterthought, when a great deal of thought and reasoning went into the layout of the dash, screen, shifter, MMI controls, etc. It is a vocal minority that is opposed to the design based on personal tastes. Lastly, not sure who exactly this thread's mediator is talking to, but it is Audi gmbh in Germany, not Audi of America, that had any say in the design. AoA simply chooses the packaging for Americans (too restrictive in my opinion). All A4/S4 cars have the same design regardless of country, with exception of left or right side driver placement.
    WARNING: Subjective opinion alert

I don't believe for a second that the floating screen design was an afterthought. On the contrary I am positive it was an intentional design decision. In particular because the prior designs (e.g. B8 and B8.5) had the screen integrated into the dash. There was clearly a conscious decision to create the floating screen.

My point is that the design LOOKS like it was an afterthought. It looks out of place in an otherwise nicely flowing interior. My B8.5 allroad interior dash components flow from one element to the next. Versus the B9 design where this thing sticks out from the dash. It is stunningly out of place on a luxury car IMO. Same opinion goes for other manufacturers and not just confined to Audi.

I just don't get the decision to go this route. Even if it can be hidden, it still looks awful when deployed.

Incidentally, I recently had an A6 as a loaner that had the floating screen. I could push a button to hide the screen. However, if the car was turned off, then turned back on, the screen would automatically pop out. Annoying. I know that is so the car would meet regulations for back up camera accessibility. But I again point to the design error for having a floating screen as the problem.

A better choice would have been to add a motorized cover for an integrated screen if the desire was to be able to hide it. I've actually seen this on a car before though don't recall which one.

Veteran Member Three Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Home of the CR-15 brace

I too hate the floating screen over the dash, looks like a ooops we forgot something and need to add this, total afterthought. It is perfectly integrated in the B8.5, I can't see how this is an improvement, seems more like a step backwards. I predict that on the B10 it will be integrated, and everyone will love it again like its a brand new improvement. The design team is nuts.
    2013 S5 6MT / Monsoon Grey / APR Stage 2+ / AWE Touring+Res DP / EC Alu-Kreuz / EC USS system sways and links / Bilstein PSS10 coilovers / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 5R / EC Adj Short Throw Shifter / EC TF intake / Apikol rear diff mount / O34 Trany mount insert / BC Forged RS41 19x9.5ET20/ Mich PS4S 265/35/19 / Gyrodisk 2pc rotors / CR-15 Upper Strut Tower Brace / u2nelson@live.com

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

No worries, the tablet screens are a temp solution for the time being. I see them being phased out on 2 model years or so.

Check out the future:

http://blog.audi.de/2017/04/10/die-z...kt-im-display/

Established Member Two Rings Uncle Buck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '10 VW GTI, '13 Audi Q5 2.0T, '15 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock

Well now that the new A6/A7/A8/Q8 and even the Q3 have lost the "tablet displays" going forward, how long do you think it will be before the A3/A4/A5/Q5 (and the affiliated S models) update happens and the fixed screen disappears??

AZ Member #

Or as noted, just set up the screen to come up when the door is opened, and not retract until it is locked. Simple rewiring, problem solved. I suspect there was an economic component involved in the decision as well.