Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings moose234's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 335i, 2014 Q5

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    FYI - here is a petition to sign if interested https://www.change.org/p/new-york-st...new-york-state

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDeez View Post
    Bumping this back up. Its been a few months, does anyone have a shop in or near Westchester to do this inspection with front tint? Please shoot me a PM. Thanks.
    Did you get any results? Mine is past due, the guy down the street would not give in to my "so there's no arrangement we can make so I can pass?" hints :(
    "

Senior Member Three Rings AngryQ5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    15 Kia Rio Lx DD audi q5 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by davies0186 View Post
    Did you get any results? Mine is past due, the guy down the street would not give in to my "so there's no arrangement we can make so I can pass?" hints :(
    "
    i also thought i knew many shops.
    until i took em all off......

now i just accept the free tanning.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Registered Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic

Quote Originally Posted by davies0186 View Post
    "
    I went to go get my girls Lex inspected, ( Lexus has no tint) but I thought mine as well ask, I go to the guy " So what's the deal with the tint"? He goes " You fail" I then said any way around it? Like with some extra cash? He goes " No, you fail or you take your tint off. you will get pulled over with tint" I told him I get pulled over all the time. Then stood in awkward silence until the inspection was done....

I talked to my girl about getting her to take my car to get inspected for me. You know put a pretty little girl that doesn't understand? LOL She said she was down

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AngryQ5 View Post
    i also thought i knew many shops.
    until i took em all off......

now i just accept the free tanning.

Shops just acting pussy

AZ Member #

Just go to a sketchy shop. They never did the full check before and they won't do it now. Just got my inspection, only thing different was a huge sign about the new rules.

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

LLumar Air Blue 80. People can't tell your car is tinted, pass inspection, rejects just as much heat as dark dye 15% tint, and no cop hassle.

Only downside is people can see you. :)
    Formula1 died with the introduction of DRS and KERS.
    Tri-state Foliage Cruise 2018
    IG: @downhill_a4
    @I_like_your_box

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

AZ Member #

Anyone on Long Island in Suffolk county pass with the new tint law? Pm me please if you know a place? Iím past due

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The new regulation is absurd. It should be the same as MA, CT, etc. must allow more than 35% light in. Really not that dark. Itís an excuse to harass, changing the NY law to only allow tints that require letting 70% of light in.

Senior Member Two Rings Dragoncub's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Anyone know of a where I can get my inspection done without hassle in Nassau or Queens, PM me. I only have this week before inspection expires and don't want to remove the tints.
    2015 S4 P+ |Ibis White

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncub View Post
    Anyone know of a where I can get my inspection done without hassle in Nassau or Queens, PM me. I only have this week before inspection expires and don't want to remove the tints.
    PM'd you

Senior Member Three Rings 2010A6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Jeep Cherokee

I'm at 15% around and haven't been pulled over yet. As for inspections there's a shop upstate that peels your tint, lets you go get the inspection, then come back and re-tint same % all around for just $70.

Active Member Two Rings BeasTT315's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 TTRS, 02 TT 225, 15 GSXR 1000

Anyone in Syracuse/Utica area know of a shop? Mines up finally...pulled it out of storage last December praying for the law to be revoked by now. Only two places I know of that have done it...one passed an off duty cop and lost their NYS License + fines and another scratched my friends rim pretty bad putting it on the lift so offered to pass him as a "token of good faith" Please PM..Thanks

Established Member Two Rings moose234's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 335i, 2014 Q5

New tint law for New York

I am going to get my front windows done with 35% after inspection. I got 20% on back windshield recently over privacy glass. It has definitely cut down the glare from headlights!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Four Rings bakedziti's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster

If anyone is interested, I purchased a set of clear front windows from a salvage vehicle to swap into my car in order to pass my inspection and then swapped back after, so I have a set that I can lone someone if needed. My thoughts are to lone them out on the condition that I hold a security deposit for the $120 I paid for the windows, and that the deposit would be returned in full once I have my windows back. The windows weren't expensive and I'm not looking to gain anything here, but in order to ensure they're returned, I would need a deposit. I can also provide you with all of the information and tools needed to remove the door panels to swap the windows. I'm located in Buffalo, NY and can ship the windows if needed at your expense; otherwise, pickup is always welcome.

I also had no issues with passing with just the front swapped. The shop I went to used some interesting logic with the verbiage of the law in saying that although my car is a sedan, the fact that I had two side mirrors and a rearview mirror inside meant that only the front two windows had to be 70% VLT. I'm fairly confident that the law isn't meant to be read like that, but TBH IDGAF as long as they passed me.
    2011 A4 P+ QGM | Sport Package | 6MT | MMI | B&O
    GIAC (stage) | Eurocode HFC & Alu Kreuz | Stasis Exhaust | H&R RSB | DV+ | CR-15 | ECS Intercooler w/ Piping & Street Shield | P3

the egyptian prescription

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Baked, that is extremely thoughtful... kudos too you sir, that is a stand-up Audizine member right there!

For once, glad to say i'm happy to reside in NJ for the time being. :)
    Formula1 died with the introduction of DRS and KERS.
    Tri-state Foliage Cruise 2018
    IG: @downhill_a4
    @I_like_your_box

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster

@DownhillA4 thank you! I try to help out where I can, and I find this law to be especially ridiculous with Cuomo announcing it and then jumping into a Tahoe with tinted front windows. Additionally, I find that the law does nothing but discriminate against specific vehicle classes. Why can an SUV or CUV or what the next crossover term is have tinted rear windows, but not a sedan or a station wagon?

I should also mention that I was written 4 tint tickets in a single day this past summer.; one for each side window. Luckily all were dropped, and the police officer even strongly suggested how I could avoid the fines, but it still bogus to drive away with 4 tickets for tint and then a ticket for a mis-matched license/registration address when you can tell the officer couldn't care any less about my tint. I later found that BPD receives a set $ amount for each ticket written, riddle me that lol
    GIAC (stage) | Eurocode HFC & Alu Kreuz | Stasis Exhaust | H&R RSB | DV+ | CR-15 | ECS Intercooler w/ Piping & Street Shield | P3

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bakedziti View Post
    @DownhillA4 thank you! I try to help out where I can, and I find this law to be especially ridiculous with Cuomo announcing it and then jumping into a Tahoe with tinted front windows. Additionally, I find that the law does nothing but discriminate against specific vehicle classes. Why can an SUV or CUV or what the next crossover term is have tinted rear windows, but not a sedan or a station wagon?

I should also mention that I was written 4 tint tickets in a single day this past summer.; one for each side window. Luckily all were dropped, and the police officer even strongly suggested how I could avoid the fines, but it still bogus to drive away with 4 tickets for tint and then a ticket for a mis-matched license/registration address when you can tell the officer couldn't care any less about my tint. I later found that BPD receives a set $ amount for each ticket written, riddle me that lol
    SUV's are allowed to have tinted rear windows because that's how they come from the factory, People can un-tint there windows but to replace the rear glass of every SUV and crossover would near impossible.
    Cuomo's brother or brother in law has stake in a company that sells the tint reader machines to every shop in NY...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    SUV's are allowed to have tinted rear windows because that's how they come from the factory, People can un-tint there windows but to replace the rear glass of every SUV and crossover would near impossible.
    Cuomo's brother or brother in law has stake in a company that sells the tint reader machines to every shop in NY...
    By no means am I suggesting that SUVs would need to remove the rear windows. I am arguing that if SUVs are allowed to have tinted rear side windows, why can't sedans? Honestly speaking, whats the difference between an SUV and a sedan having privacy glass? To me, its nothing other than a classification and ride height, but logic (to me) says that a lower car would benefit more from privacy glass since more people can view the contents inside.

Isn't Cuomo's brother on CNN? Or is that another one?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

By no means am I suggesting that SUVs would need to remove the rear windows. I am arguing that if SUVs are allowed to have tinted rear side windows, why can't sedans? Honestly speaking, whats the difference between an SUV and a sedan having privacy glass? To me, its nothing other than a classification and ride height, but logic (to me) says that a lower car would benefit more from privacy glass since more people can view the contents inside.

Sedans didn't come from the factory with rear tinted windows. Let's say that they did outlaw tint on SUV's, the manufactures of SUV's would have to send SUVs without tint to NY. It would be to big of an issue. They don't want the cars to have privacy, that's the issue. They want 100% transparency when the cops approach the cars. At least that was Cuomo's "reasoning" for it.
    Logically what they don't understand about this is that it doesn't work. The people that they wan't to have clear windows don't give two shits about what they want. They will ride with 5% limo tint, it doesn't matter, they know people to pass them.
    I'm not sure about what brother owns the stake in the company, I just know that's what my tinter told me.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02B6A4

LOL you had it right, but switched around. Suv can have their back side glass tinted is because they do not have a enclosed trunk like sedan. So the law allows them to tint the side which prevents people from peeking and seeing what is back there, where us with sedan have a out of view trunk.

AZ Member #

Why can an SUV or CUV or what the next crossover term is have tinted rear windows, but not a sedan or a station wagon?
    So what happens when your Station Wagon comes with OEM tinted windows from the factory?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasiamon View Post
    So what happens when your Station Wagon comes with OEM tinted windows from the factory?

Itís technically so post to fail according to the law... But most places make a special circumstance because really, what are you going to do? Replace the glass? Na itís exempt like a suv

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    Itís technically so post to fail according to the law... But most places make a special circumstance because really, what are you going to do? Replace the glass? Na itís exempt like a suv

I think it makes a good case in regards to just how silly the restrictions are.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I think it makes a good case in regards to just how silly the restrictions are.

It does make a great case, you can see how this car falls into a gray area... but who wants to be the person to stand up and risk replacing all the glass on there Allroad?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster

I asked this question earlier in the thread, itís because of the classification.

[QUOTE=character zero;12440922]Allroads are classified as MPV not passenger car and therefore are eligible to have rear windows tinted in NY

I donít know where this talk about replacing rear windows from the factory came from lately however, because Iím certainly NOT saying that should happen. I am only asking why itís different by classification, which I think was answered with the open trunk post recently.

AZ Member #

[QUOTE=bakedziti;12926993]I asked this question earlier in the thread, itís because of the classification.

Quote Originally Posted by character zero View Post
    Allroads are classified as MPV not passenger car and therefore are eligible to have rear windows tinted in NY
    Didnít realize he Allroad was classified differently, so thatís good news at least. The law calls out ďstation wagonsĒ so I made an assumption. Also, pretty sure my registration says passenger though. This is all part of the problem however. Wouldnt it be easier for the law to conform with all the other Northeastern states around us like CT and simply allow 35% tint? Itís really not that dark. Tint isnít just a ďlookĒ thing either. It helps with heat in the summer and also with creeps smashing your window parked on the street because they see something g they like in the front seat. Iím all for protecting law enforcement but this law is simply intrusive and ill conceived.

The real issue though is that this law is simply an excuse for Law Enforcement to pull you over for no reason with tint as an excuse. Happened to me once already in my old Sportwagen which had 35% tint on front windows a month after the law passed last year. The officer was totally fishing and when he saw me, with my wife in shotgun, kid in the backseat and puppy wagging its tail at him he simply told me to fix it after trying to put a tint meter on my window. We had a discussion about over intrusive laws and I politely let him know my thoughts. He was understanding but told me the law is the law and any complaint ya should go through Albany. He let me go with a verbal warning about tint but I canít help but think how differently the stop could have gone if I hadnít been with a full family in the car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

[QUOTE=Fantasiamon;12927119]
    I asked this question earlier in the thread, itís because of the classification.

Didnít realize he Allroad was classified differently, so thatís good news at least. The law calls out ďstation wagonsĒ so I made an assumption. Also, pretty sure my registration says passenger though. This is all part of the problem however. Wouldnt it be easier for the law to conform with all the other Northeastern states around us like CT and simply allow 35% tint? Itís really not that dark. Tint isnít just a ďlookĒ thing either. It helps with heat in the summer and also with creeps smashing your window parked on the street because they see something g they like in the front seat. Iím all for protecting law enforcement but this law is simply intrusive and ill conceived.

The real issue though is that this law is simply an excuse for Law Enforcement to pull you over for no reason with tint as an excuse. Happened to me once already in my old Sportwagen which had 35% tint on front windows a month after the law passed last year. The officer was totally fishing and when he saw me, with my wife in shotgun, kid in the backseat and puppy wagging its tail at him he simply told me to fix it after trying to put a tint meter on my window. We had a discussion about over intrusive laws and I politely let him know my thoughts. He was understanding but told me the law is the law and any complaint ya should go through Albany. He let me go with a verbal warning about tint but I canít help but think how differently the stop could have gone if I hadnít been with a full family in the car.

Your thoughts werenít necessary lol he didnít care lmao.

AZ Member #

[QUOTE=AUDIMAN33;12927222]

Your thoughts werenít necessary lol he didnít care lmao.

Of course he didnít. But he was actually understanding of what I was saying.

Veteran Member Three Rings gyroscope's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 S-Line Quattro, 98 K1200RS

i had two shops and a dealer reject even doing the inspection, so i bit the bullet and peeled the fronts off. passed and then just retinted the fronts.

this law is just an excuse for the state to try and exert more control over drivers. it has nothing at all to do with officer safety. democratic leaders always do this. they pretend it's for human safety when it's really just a money grab.

i think i'm going to register my next car in PA just so I don't have to deal with this fake ordinance again.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gyroscope View Post
    i had two shops and a dealer reject even doing the inspection, so i bit the bullet and peeled the fronts off. passed and then just retinted the fronts.

this law is just an excuse for the state to try and exert more control over drivers. it has nothing at all to do with officer safety. democratic leaders always do this. they pretend it's for human safety when it's really just a money grab.

i think i'm going to register my next car in PA just so I don't have to deal with this fake ordinance again.
    You had tint on your rear side windows and they passed that? What %?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2014 S4 Prestige - Ibis White - 6MT

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GordonShumway View Post
    You had tint on your rear side windows and they passed that? What %?

factory 20%. it's a Ford Edge Sport, so SUV classification. cars with only the rears tinted look ridiculously stupid.

the thing that really grinds my gears though is that every single undercover detectives car (Ford Fusion's, Chevy Impala's, Honda Accord's) at every single precinct in the city still has full 20% tint, even on the front.

so the NYPD are essentially enforcing a law that they themselves break on a daily basis.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

factory 20%. it's a Ford Edge Sport.

the thing that really grinds my gears though is that every single undercover detectives car (Fod Fusion's, Chevy Impala's, Honda Accord's) at every single precinct in the city still has full 20% tint, even on the front.

so the NYPD are essentially enforcing a law that they themselves break on a daily basis.
    Oh, at least you didn't have to take the rear sides off, which you likely would if it was a sedan.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

what about an S5 Sportback?

how are they going to classify that one?

such ridiculousness over window film.

somebody ought to come up with a design for those retractable rear window shades for the front windows.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

factory 20%. it's a Ford Edge Sport, so SUV classification. cars with only the rears tinted look ridiculously stupid.

the thing that really grinds my gears though is that every single undercover detectives car (Ford Fusion's, Chevy Impala's, Honda Accord's) at every single precinct in the city still has full 20% tint, even on the front.

Once again this law is to protect law enforcement, when they are coming up to your car. I honestly wouldnít care if I just had to untint my front windows every year and retint them again. Itís all four that it gets a little much lol.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

what about an S5 Sportback?

how are they going to classify that one?

such ridiculousness over window film.

somebody ought to come up with a design for those retractable rear window shades for the front windows.
    Itís a four door, the law will be enforced on it.

Veteran Member Four Rings Kevin1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You have to pay to play. Just untint and re-tint each year. Really no big deal.
    1 of 1 in the United States - 2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package and Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection. Summer - Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Winter - Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905. Eurocode Sway Bars and Links. XPEL Ultimate.

RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Oh, at least you didn't have to take the rear sides off, which you likely would if it was a sedan.

inspection on rears can bedone without hassle.

they dont look at rear tints.

my daily is a kia and rear is tinted no problem with inspections however i did have to take fronts off for 3 of my car/suvs

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AngryQ5 View Post
    inspection on rears can bedone without hassle.

they dont look at rear tints.

my daily is a kia and rear is tinted no problem with inspections however i did have to take fronts off for 3 of my car/suvs

You have a Q5? That's SUV class then which is 70% on the front sides only, no? PAS classification on sedans is 70% VLT on front and rear side windows.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

With that being said, I got pulled over and I asked the sherriff what the deal was with tints and she indicated she thought it was only the fronts so, maybe, YMMV at inspection places.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You have a Q5? That's SUV class then which is 70% on the front sides only, no? PAS classification on sedans is 70% VLT on front and rear side windows.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

With that being said, I got pulled over and I asked the sherriff what the deal was with tints and she indicated she thought it was only the fronts so, maybe, YMMV at inspection places.

well inguess it states 70 but nobody is enforcing as much as they do with the fronts.

i now have a q7 q5 both suvs not tints in front kia rio tint in rears only and accord tinted rears that all passed nys inspection.

maybe they can write a ticket for the rears but so far no hassles

Established Member Two Rings Johndep7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sooooo I got pulled over and got a tint ticket, does anyone know if the prices increased for a tint ticket since this law passed? I think I remember the cost being around $150 or less but I'm not sure if things changed. I also got a no front plate ticket (didnt see the cost yet either) but my brother got one the other day was over $300 for just the plate. (I think I heard those only being around $75 years ago)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast